PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Suns Summer League

rtbPHX
07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Here's a thread dedicated ONLY to the summer league. I know someone started a thread on the rookies and summer league but you can use this to reference anything about the summer league and post any articles related.

Here's the schedule
Suns vs Rockets July 14th
Suns vs Spurs July 17th
Suns vs Knicks July 18th ON TV
Suns vs Trailblazers July 19th ON TV
Suns vs Wizards July 20th

The Roster
No. Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate College/Team Yrs
16 Rod Benson F/C 6-10 225 10/10/84 California R
10 Justin Cage G/F 6-6 225 6/26/85 Xavier R
4 Taquan Dean G 6-4 190 8/6/83 Louisville R
12 Jiri Hubalek F/C 6-11 225 11/25/82 Iowa State R
14 Ekene Ibekwe F 6-9 220 7/19/85 Maryland R
17 Jared Jordan G 6-2 187 10/14/84 Marist 1
15 Robin Lopez C 7-0 255 4/1/88 Stanford R
11 Ivan McFarlin F 6-8 232 4/26/82 Oklahoma State 1
8 D.J. Strawberry G 6-5 201 6/15/85 Maryland 1
29 Alando Tucker G 6-6 205 2/11/84 Wisconsin 1
2 Marcus Vinicius F 6-8 225 5/31/84 San Carlos (Brazil) 2
3 Judson Wallace F/C 6-10 220 12/31/82 Princeton R

STAT32
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
You should know that Rod Benson is no longer on the roster. He switched to Toronto.

Indi23
07-08-2008, 02:18 AM
i wanna see Alando play hes a great wing player... and DJ oh do i love his heart (even tho his big minutes came when down 30 to Detroit he gave it his all thats why i like players going to college first rather than drafting to the nba because they won High school player of the year( not dissing Lebron...but im not to fond of Kwame)

STAT32
07-08-2008, 02:32 AM
DJ will flourish at the SG spot. Good slasher and defender. He'll be a good solid player.

chadillachembre
07-08-2008, 01:10 PM
i bet alando average 20+ a game and dj chips in 15 and 6ast with great D. thats my call.

STAT32
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
20 pts? Wow, then I guess you'd also predict that Alando will be our starting SF by the end of the season and DJ will be our starting SG? Wow. If thats the case thats great but I highly doubt both Grant and Raja are getting replaced this year

God of War
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
i bet alando average 20+ a game and dj chips in 15 and 6ast with great D. thats my call.

But how do those stats translate in the nba? Absolutely nothing.

Both guys are so far off from being nba ready, it's amusing to hear some fans talk about how good they are. DJ looks absolutely lost out there. Tucker is neither a slasher, shooter, dunker or defender. That makes it hard for a guy like him to stay with any team.

I think Lopez will make some impact, at least he should get minutes just because of his energy and heart. Hell, Raja Bell is our starting 2 and the only thing keeping him in the starting lineup is his heart and willingness on defense. He's a good outside shooter but nothing more.

Indi23
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Well stat in my opinion, Hill shouldnt be starting every game like nash wont be... i still think diaw should start more games .. i think he'll have one good year.

certificial
07-08-2008, 03:35 PM
i was just thinkin after my last post, maybe we arent being assertive on the free agent front because they have faith that those two guys will have prominent roles in the rotation this year. (reminiscent of the josh howard marquis daniels days in dallas as rookies) whad'ya guys think?

rtbPHX
07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Alando will tear it up like he did in the D-league.

STAT32
07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Indi although I completely agree with you that Grant shouldn't start every game, I don't think Tucker is our answer as Grants replacement in the starting lineup. Diaw should start in place of Grant sometimes.

Certificial, your right. Expect Robin,DJ, and Tucker to play very signifigant roles and minutes this year.

chadillachembre
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
20 pts? Wow, then I guess you'd also predict that Alando will be our starting SF by the end of the season and DJ will be our starting SG? Wow. If thats the case thats great but I highly doubt both Grant and Raja are getting replaced this year

no way man! chill the hell out. do you think im a damn fool? last season dj strawberry led the summer league in assists per game with 6 and i think hes improved his game to be a "summer legue" leader (for what ever that means) alongside tucker. Alando can score the ball on any mediocre nba wana be talent. just look at his d-league numbers and credentials he gained last season. great summer league stats translate to the end of some ones bench. i dont think either player will start at all this season unless its by default. one thing i believe is that they will play great roles for us off the bench. they are optimistic question marks. the 3 young katz dj tucker and lopez are what i am anxious to see most this coming season

STAT32
07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Ok good, I was thinking wow. And yea I totally agree with you, all three of our young-uns will play great roles for us.

certificial
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Its gonna be a long season. And after all they did at least get a feel of what its like to play with our guys all last year (D.J. & Tuck). I think those guys will be fine. I'm actually kinda excited. Now WE NEED A BACKUP PG!!!!!

whamo
07-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Its gonna be a long season. And after all they did at least get a feel of what its like to play with our guys all last year (D.J. & Tuck). I think those guys will be fine. I'm actually kinda excited. Now WE NEED A BACKUP PG!!!!!

I am excited to see what they can do, too. All of this speculation stuff used to be fun when it seemed like something meaningful might actually happen, but now I am just getting frustrated with the whole thing!! I am starting to think that I should just expect that nothing will happen with free agency or trades, and then I won't be dissapointed. I agree....get a freaking PG already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chadillachembre
07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
if this team feels like they are a backup pg away from winning a title i have no idea as to why they have been so complacent and reserved in free agency and trades to get one. this season especially with a new coach thatll play the bench. in previous years with diantoni it would have been irrelivant to have a back up because diantoni wouldnt have played him. planning on sitting nash a few games this season i dont understand why the front office doesnt appear to show any urgency towards the issue.

whamo
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
if this team feels like they are a backup pg away from winning a title i have no idea as to why they have been so complacent and reserved in free agency and trades to get one. this season especially with a new coach thatll play the bench. in previous years with diantoni it would have been irrelivant to have a back up because diantoni wouldnt have played him. planning on sitting nash a few games this season i dont understand why the front office doesnt appear to show any urgency towards the issue.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's Why! It's driving me crazy! I wish that they would do something!

king4day
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Backup PG won't solve the lack of pick and roll D.
I can't imagine what we'll do if we lose out on getting Lue too.

Tucker had a couple of near 40pt games last summer league.
Both of them were "player of the week" a couple of times too.

FreedomReigns
07-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I imagine we won't see a free agent PG picked up until after the summer league concludes. Don't be suprised if they give the whole mid-level exception to one player and just use players from the summer league team to fill the roster.

STAT32
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Don't be so sure, we're very close to signing Lue, KTAR is reporting that we already made him an offer.

FreedomReigns
07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Unfortunatly I don't recieve KTAR up here. I hope they don't overpay and hopefully it's no more than a 2 year contract.

STAT32
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
1 year vet minimum 1.2 million.

STAT32
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Great deal to land Lue. He'll play decent minutes. Of course this is all assuming that Lue actually accepts our offer.... Haha

Willy T Justice
07-10-2008, 12:31 AM
decent pick up for the vet minimum. 10- 15 minutes a game. nice 3 pt shooter

Willy T Justice
07-10-2008, 12:32 AM
thats if he accepts our offer

cabrera_logic
07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
i DON'T like that signing AT ALL

king4day
07-10-2008, 09:11 AM
i DON'T like that signing AT ALL

What would you rather have at this point?
We don't have cash to sign a bigger name and no one wants to play for us anymore. If we don't get Lue, then Nash will not have an authentic backup.
It's either him or Anthony Johnson. Doesn't seem like we've shown any interest in him.

cabrera_logic
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Tony Allen can play the PG spot very well, wich he prooved in the 06-07 season for the celtics. Younger, better defense, way better ofense..., he wouldn't be expensive...think about it.

king4day
07-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Tony Allen can play the PG spot very well, wich he prooved in the 06-07 season for the celtics. Younger, better defense, way better ofense..., he wouldn't be expensive...think about it.

I forgot about him. Is he a true PG? Maybe that's what keeping Kerr from considering him... We could probably get him for a year or two deal too since he'll wanna play for a bigger contract.

Jamesus
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I hope we pick up Jared Jordan, if he plays good. Hes been called a poor man's Nash numerous times, he could be a rough diamond in the making.

I think the Summer League team will be exciting to watch. I always enjoy seeing players that get no playing time light it up.

nashty13
07-10-2008, 12:32 PM

He's not a point guard. He's a two guard. He didn't prove anything in that season accept getting hurt while playing Shooting Guard. He'd clearly cost a lot more money that Lou since he's real young. I'm fine with the Lou signing if he can consistantly hit the 3 ball and pass like a PG. I like Tony Allen. good defender, decent scorer, but he's not a PG.

STAT32
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Tony Allen is an SG. He would split minutes with Bell.

whamo
07-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Tony Allen would be a good pick up. It would be nice if Bell could sit a little more. He's just not as good as he once was...on defense or offense.

ptransfer
07-12-2008, 05:24 AM
The gaping whole that is Steve Nash on the bench wont be as obvious in a more structured offence. That being said we still need a back PG, so Lui is our best bet. But i support what was said earlier, no PG pickup is gonna make shaq play pick and roll Defence. Lets just hope he hangs up his cap and leaves us with plenty of cap space!!!

STAT32
07-12-2008, 02:07 PM
That's what RoLo is for, he plays excellent pick 'n roll defense

jlove
07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
The Suns picked up Vladimir Golubovic (7' 225 lbs from Serbia) to replace Rod Benson. Gulobovic played in the Orlando Summer League with the Pacers. Below is some stats from that league:

Vs. OKC: 17.5 min. / 75% FG / 50% FT / 8 Rbds / 7 Pts

Vs. Bulls: 10.5 min. / 33% FG / 3 Rbds / 1 Asts / 1 St / 2 pts.

Vs. Magic: 11 Min / 66% FG / 100% FT / 1 Rbd / 1 Asts / 6 Pts

Vs. Nets: 20.5 min. / 83% FG / 33% FT / 8 Rbds / 1 Asts / 1 St / 11 pts

Averages: 67% FG / 60% FT / 4.6 Rbds / 1 Ast / 1 St / 6 Pts

Looks like he should do well with the Suns Summer League. Although I'd rather have Benson, Gulobovic should look good here too.

STAT32
07-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Yea that's fine, kind of pointless though since there's no chance he makes it on the roster.

theimortalone
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Summer League begins!!! Time to Test DJ Tuck and Lopez!!!!!

theimortalone
07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
The gaping whole that is Steve Nash on the bench wont be as obvious in a more structured offence. That being said we still need a back PG, so Lui is our best bet. But i support what was said earlier, no PG pickup is gonna make shaq play pick and roll Defence. Lets just hope he hangs up his cap and leaves us with plenty of cap space!!!
Why the hell would you want to get rid of Shaq? He can help out our team in more ways then you think. He is there to help Amare elevate his game, which he has done! Shaq still has gas left in his tank. Maybe when his contract is up he will retire. Shaq still can play the game. He will Mentor Robin and help him become a better player IMO. He will still help our team produce for sure!

chadillachembre
07-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Backup PG won't solve the lack of pick and roll D.
I can't imagine what we'll do if we lose out on getting Lue too.

Tucker had a couple of near 40pt games last summer league.
Both of them were "player of the week" a couple of times too.

who can gaurd the pick and roll? its ungaurdable. stockton and malone made a living off of that one play. we all knew it was coming but couldnt stop it. no one can stop our pick and roll with nash and amare.

God of War
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
who can gaurd the pick and roll? its ungaurdable. stockton and malone made a living off of that one play. we all knew it was coming but couldnt stop it. no one can stop our pick and roll with nash and amare.

Have you seen the way Boston defended the pick/roll?

STAT32
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I agree that the pick n' roll is one of the simplest and most unguardable plays out there, but there are things you can do to limit it's effectiveness. RoLo is a great pick n' roll defender. Players like Shaq and Stoudemire get burned by the pnr because they both refuse to come out on guys.

Indi23
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah i agree.. what do you guys think of there first game... alando 22 and dj 22 lopez 19 with 7 fouls

Rhyming Rebel
07-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Lopez was a steal He plays harder than his brother.

STAT32
07-15-2008, 01:35 AM
RoLo did better than I thought he would do. And how about DJ's saaaweeet jumper.

Willy T Justice
07-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Yeah i agree.. what do you guys think of there first game... alando 22 and dj 22 lopez 19 with 7 fouls

I was impressed with the way the rookies played for their first game together. Although we out rebounded Houston I would have liked Lopez to be around 10 RPG. Lots of room for improvement. But overall I was impressed with DJ, Tucker, Lopez.

sunsalltheway03
07-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Good to see them each have pretty solid games. Hopefully they can continue to progress and maybe our bench just might be acceptable this year. Glad to see Lopez have a solid game. It would be nice to have any uneasiness that we have put to rest.

Indi23
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
2nd Game about 3 minutes left in the game = Lopez(14 points 9 rbs 2 block shots),Alando(24 points), DJ(12 points)

Alando nice game.. DJ not the great game he would usually have.... LOPEZ woot lol a more controlled game on the boards

rocky4104
07-18-2008, 12:44 AM
We have finally slain the demon!!!

we beat the hated SPURS!!!

STAT32
07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Haha, i'll wait to celebrate until we beat them for real.

rocky4104
07-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Haha, i'll wait to celebrate until we beat them for real.

dude after all the trashing they gave us.... i'll take this lol

STAT32
07-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Yea I guess lol.

king4day
07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
The former Stanford Cardinal has been super-active, getting his hand on a lot of balls defensively, whether it has been through blocking shots or by deflecting passes. And after all of the talk about how he was so inferior to his brother offensively, I think more than a few people are going to eat their words for that criticism. After a 19-point performance in his debut Monday, Lopez racked up 14 points against the Spurs, displaying a litany of moves around the basket.

There was one play where he received the ball on the block with less than a minute left in the first half, faked to the middle and then outquicked a smaller defender by spinning to the baseline, using the rim as a shield, and then drawing the hoop and the harm. At one point in the game he even scored on a sky-hook. Somewhere Kareem was beaming. He also collected nine boards and two blocks.

Besides Lopez, Strawberry and Tucker both looked strong, showing that they’ve already used the summer to improve on their individual games. It is noticeable that both have been working intensely with strength and conditioning coach Erik Phillips, with both players looking much more physically developed.

Tucker was able to gather three offensive rebounds and convert on a few and-ones, despite being butchered by opposing defenders. Tucker scored 24 points on 8-of-10 shooting from the floor, including 8-of-11 from the line. Strawberry added 12, but seemed much more comfortable in the role as floor leader.

The Suns made a big push in the third quarter by causing turnovers and then pushing the ball up the floor for easy baskets. Defense creating offense seemed to be the theme, as the coaches constantly barked at the players to pressure the ball and stay up on their defenders to half court. With Lopez roaming the paint, on the help side, it gave the Suns defenders much more confidence to extend their pressure.

http://suns.marqui.com/blog/suns01_07170802.aspx

If we can just carry this over to the regular season we'll be all set :)

theimortalone
07-18-2008, 10:26 AM
If we can just carry this over to the regular season we'll be all set :)

For sure! It would be awesome! :D

J-Relo
07-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Phoenix Suns: Suns Beat Spurs in Summer League (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_qonB4T2zI)

Cubsfan162512
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
can't wait to watch the Suns today on NBA TV at 3 CT

Cubsfan162512
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
not watching them for a while really sucks

STAT32
07-18-2008, 03:29 PM
That's a great read King really encouraging. I think all three of our rookies are going to do great this year.