PDA

View Full Version : Bonds To Boston?

J-DAWGS SOX
07-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Watching the Sox/yankee game last night, Joe Morgan said that he had read Bonds did a workout for the sox. He went on to say that this was not confirmed by the paper who put the story out. Gammons also chimed in to say that he had heard this also, but doubts it would happen. If Ortiz doesnt come back or doesnt come back being "papi", maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea. I mean it wouldnt cost any prospects to get him. Imo his bat is still just as good as anyone, though I personaly dont like his attitude. Just wondering what Redsox Nation thinks?

WilymoPena
07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
I could care less about his attitude and how he handles the media. Manny said losing in the playoffs was no big deal and was crucified for it so Im not sure I like the media either. He's the best hitter in MLB history, and as far as I can tell, he wont have too many chances to hit when he's being walked everytime he comes to the plate. I would do it in a heartbeat just to piss off every other team in baseball and win another championship.

bosox3431
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. If I say I want him, Im a hypocrit, but if Papi dont come back his bat would be damn nice

PS- Is there a need to capitilze every word, makes it a pain in the *** to read

quiksilver2491
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I have mixed feelings on this. If I say I want him, Im a hypocrit, but if Papi dont come back his bat would be damn nice

PS- Is there a need to capitilze every word, makes it a pain in the *** to read

Seriously, I say there should be a perma-ban for anyone that types like that. I had to read that paragraph like 10 times over just for it to process right in my brain. Why go through the time making sure every letter is capitalized when it makes it a pain in the *** for others to read anyways?

Back on topic I think Bonds would fit the void left by Ortiz better than probably anyone we can go out and get. He would fit perfectly in the 3 hole and would help out Ramirez more than Ortiz ever did (no offense Papi). With that said it would bring a media circus to Boston that would be worse then the whole A-Rod and Madonna situation. Personally I think Bonds is a douchebag but if it means restoring order to this lineup then im all for it.

J-DAWGS SOX
07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=quiksilver2491;5768453]Seriously, I say there should be a perma-ban for anyone that types like that. I had to read that paragraph like 10 times over just for it to process right in my brain. Why go through the time making sure every letter is capitalized when it makes it a pain in the *** for others to read anywayQUOTE]

i actually did this post with all capital letters and when i submitted, it turned out like that. so, it took no time at all. if i were to have to read something 10 times i would skip it, but thats just me. for the future posters i apologize for the letters, however it was not intentional.

quiksilver2491
07-07-2008, 11:36 PM
i actually did this post with all capital letters and when i submitted, it turned out like that. so, it took no time at all. if i were to have to read something 10 times i would skip it, but thats just me. for the future posters i apologize for the letters, however it was not intentional.

Ohh I just reread my part and if I came off like a douchebag then I apologize. I meant to put a no offense in there but I guess I forgot. If it wasn't intentional then all is forgiven anyways and its not your fault,but there are people that Type Like This For Every Single Thing They Write Just To Piss Other Posters Off Even When They Have Been Told To Stop It (phew that was a pain in the *** to type lol)

Tragedy
07-08-2008, 12:01 AM
I doubt we really had a work out for him, so whatever. :shrug:

aabar4518
07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I remember a few years back when Bonds said that he would play for any team but Boston. He'd be a great addition if Ortiz is not Ortiz in the second half. And, just for the record, I do think he worked out for the Red Sox.

yaowowrocket11
07-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I am actually a supporter of this idea. I could care less about steroids, media, etc........I care about winning, and winning happens when you hit. Bonds can hit, so therefore........

:nod:

Tragedy
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
I am actually a supporter of this idea. I could care less about steroids, media, etc........I care about winning, and winning happens when you hit. Bonds can hit, so therefore........

:nod:
I too support this.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Barry Bonds just as much as the next guy. But if David Ortiz can't come back healthy for the rest of the season (He already announced that he would likely NOT be 100% for the rest of the year), then signing a player of the caliber of Barry Bonds midseason would be the equivalent of making a trade for a Texeira at the deadline.

I doubt it happens, but I can't say I'd be completely unhappy to see him helping our overall offense so much.

darth550
07-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Joe Morgan said that he had read Bonds did a workout for the sox.

It's no surprise Joe Morgan is slobbering all over Bond's lap on national TV again.....The surprise is that it took him this long!

bosox3431
07-08-2008, 01:23 AM

k, thats understandable, if i seemed like an ***, I to apologize, it was just annoying

lil'papi
07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
No, no effin way!

Sorry not buying. He is 44 yrs old hasn't played at all this year. Unless Ortiz is HURT bigtime then no.
Rumor is Ortiz hit six bombs in BP yesterday. My thoughts exactly David.

We don't need this needle prick on our team no matter the benefits. Find another bat somewhere.

He is cancer. He hated Boston , then keep hating us Bonds. I sooo don't want him touching a CH trophy nevermind him at our parade its anti-redsox. :mad:

RedSoxtober
07-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I too support this.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Barry Bonds just as much as the next guy. But if David Ortiz can't come back healthy for the rest of the season (He already announced that he would likely NOT be 100% for the rest of the year), then signing a player of the caliber of Barry Bonds midseason would be the equivalent of making a trade for a Texeira at the deadline.

I doubt it happens, but I can't say I'd be completely unhappy to see him helping our overall offense so much.

I don't recall any comments from Ortiz that he would not be 100% for the rest of the year. I remember him making comments that he wouldn't be there for a while and didn't know when he would, but that's a big difference. I'd like a link if you've got one.

As for Bonds, no. I believe that character matters a great deal. Maybe when the rest of you have boys like captaintek and I (impressionable age, love Sox sports heroes) you'll be as concerned about the guys they want to emulate. (I don't mean to exclude you lil'papi... but iirc your boys are past this point).

Regardless...

Epstein said there was nothing to speculation the Sox might consider Barry Bonds if Ortiz were out for a prolonged period
Source: Boston Globe

Chatter all you want about it but there is no interest on the part of the Sox FO. Not only is he not ready to make a contribution but he's got huge legal issues ahead that cannot do anything but distract him from the game. It's dubious at best to expect him to miss half the season and step into a lineup to be productive, but when you factor his horrific track record in the clubhouse he'd be like dynamite at a Gas-Can Gagne cookout.

yaowowrocket11
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
From SI trade rumors:

Sox discussed adding Bonds
ESPN's Peter Gammons said on Sunday night's Red Sox-Yankees game broadcast that the Red Sox have had "internal discussions" about Barry Bonds, but he considers a workout for the 43-year-old free agent unlikely. Red Sox pitcher and vocal Bonds critic Curt Schilling, who is out for the season, Monday morning on Boston sports radio station WEEI called the possibility of Bonds coming to Boston for the stretch run "three months of a PR nightmare." More from Schilling: "That would be an eye-opener for sure. I know Barry said in the past that he hates the city of Boston. I really don't know. I hadn't thought about that one, I didn't think that was on the radar." (Boston Globe)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/extramustard/specials/morning_jolt/2008/07/08/morning.jolt/index.html

kazzy4080
07-08-2008, 12:06 PM
i just cant imagine his first at bat at fenway

but i like the idea, we need a bat, and bonds is a cheap bat, low cost low risk kind of situation. if he doesnt work out we could just designate him for assignment. the earlier we do it the better it be too because if we did it lets say now and he plays 2-3 weeks and sucks, we can designate him for assignment and then trade for someone

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I would welcome him with open arms. In terms of hitting, Bonds can still cut it. He's a 20 HR power threat at 43. He would provide a punch to the line up and be a credible cover for Manny. But that being said Papi was quoted Monday stating his wrist felt good after his first BP, he may be a few days to a week away and if that's the case then Barry isn't needed.

KmB728
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Even if Ortiz is 100% why not bring in Bonds???? he can only help, and we dont have to give anything away for him. He could also give Ortiz and Manny some rest with their injuries, or even Drew. Im all for this idea. I wish he was a cather thatd be great haha

RedSoxtober
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
^^^ It seems that Theo's comments on Monday are a response to the ESPN broadcast Sunday. I cannot see any other reason for Theo to comment on the situation.

sboyajian
07-08-2008, 02:17 PM
It's a non-issue..

The thing you don't want to hear with a player coming back from DL is that it's fine, but get's sore after using it.

With Papi we're hearing exactly what you want to hear, not only in general, but also with this type of injury. It's sore before hand and feels better towards the end of the workout. It's sore because, well he did some serious damage to it. It's better towards the end because it's stretching out. He'll be good in a few weeks.. no point in looking for a replacement.

RedSoxtober
07-08-2008, 02:27 PM
It's a non-issue..

The thing you don't want to hear with a player coming back from DL is that it's fine, but get's sore after using it.
Yeah, I think I've said that before to my wife. :rolleyes:

sboyajian
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I think I've said that before to my wife. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you need to put yourself on an inning watch or a pitch count.

DirtyThirty
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
HATE THAT MAN LIAR, CHEATER, DIRTY reminds me of a Yankee

y2shoes
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
But to be honest i would much rather have him sitting on the bench and DH sometime instead of Sean (Cant seem to stretch enough before hitting) Casey. I say sign Bonds now see what happens and if he doesnt fit in just let him go, he has everthing to lose if he is a problem. The Soxs will have all the power so go get him!!! Drop Casey or Cora and have a strong hitting Bonds to pinch hit especially when we need a big hit or just a guy on base cause they walk him a lot!!!

Nickday
07-08-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't recall any comments from Ortiz that he would not be 100% for the rest of the year. I remember him making comments that he wouldn't be there for a while and didn't know when he would, but that's a big difference. I'd like a link if you've got one.
it's on the Sox' site. too lazy to find it though, but I read it too. He said its unlikely he'll be 100% for the season

RedSoxtober
07-09-2008, 08:41 AM
But to be honest i would much rather have him sitting on the bench and DH sometime instead of Sean (Cant seem to stretch enough before hitting) Casey. I say sign Bonds now see what happens and if he doesnt fit in just let him go, he has everthing to lose if he is a problem. The Soxs will have all the power so go get him!!! Drop Casey or Cora and have a strong hitting Bonds to pinch hit especially when we need a big hit or just a guy on base cause they walk him a lot!!!

BTW, Casey has 100AB at 1B, 11 at DH. Not sure where the "DH sometime instead of Sean... Casey". Maybe I'm misreading that and you mean only that you'd rather have Casey than Bonds. If that's the case I can't quite understand why. Casey currently has a .368/.408/.858 line as a backup. That's pretty damn good for getting irregular time. I'm not as convinced that Bonds would just step in and even equal that right now. His last two "full" seasons he didn't hit about .280 and his ridiculously high OBP comes mostly from walks. Once you factor out the power difference due to walks, Casey is a pretty solid bet considering the flexibility he provides to give Youk and Lowell days off.

lil'papi
07-09-2008, 09:01 AM

As for Bonds, no. I believe that character matters a great deal. Maybe when the rest of you have boys like captaintek and I (impressionable age, love Sox sports heroes) you'll be as concerned about the guys they want to emulate. (I don't mean to exclude you lil'papi... but iirc your boys are past this point).

Regardless...

Source: Boston Globe

Chatter all you want about it but there is no interest on the part of the Sox FO. Not only is he not ready to make a contribution but he's got huge legal issues ahead that cannot do anything but distract him from the game. It's dubious at best to expect him to miss half the season and step into a lineup to be productive, but when you factor his horrific track record in the clubhouse he'd be like dynamite at a Gas-Can Gagne cookout.

Quite fine ! ;) My boys are grown men now. They both know athletes are people and people can be messed up. Your kids will do the same they emulate who they love/respect the most in the end. Usually not athletes.;)

Bonds for me is damaged goods and would be a win at all costs deal.
..and for the fanboys that say , I would root for him in a RS uniform you are ignorant. I wouldn't enjoy it at all not even game winning HR's. This guy is THAT tainted in my eyes. It would be like bringing in Clemens at this point, screw that.
We have some nice kids without the taint , use them , its the RS way. We aren't desperate.....

Carl Everett comes to mind except this guy is a doper. :mad: Seriously, if he came clean a couple years ago, I might have different feelings.

I love to win too. Just not with a bonefide jack###.

asomen
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
After reading some articles on ESPN...I thought hard about the possibility of Bonds. According to his agent Boras, Bonds would love to play ANYWHERE. He is just looking for a contract and he is shocked that noone will even take a look at him.

Here are 4 reasons I think we should just take a look at him...not saying sign him...but maybe hold him for a trying out:

1) Boras states that Bonds needs "10 days" to take live BP and then he will be ready to get into any lineup. Sounds like Bonds is in good baseball shape and he just needs to take a few cuts to get loose.

2) Bonds wants any sort of major league contract. His agent has already said that he won't play in any independent leagues or sign a minor league contract to prove anything because Bonds knows what he has to prove already. That means he could be content not being an every day player and getting a few at bats here and there.

3) Bonds is a frustrated man right now. You have the whole world out there who thinks he can't produce at this level anymore and he relies on steroids. You have every major league team (even the Mariners who can't hit a ball this year) not even looking at him. How much do you think he wants to prove to the world he is still an elite bat? He has so much to prove to the world that I think if he gets the chance he will rub it in our faces.

4) The only way i really see us truely considering getting Bonds is if we get rid of coco...which is looking more and more likely as the days goes on. We trade coco for some talent in the bullpen or what not. And signing Bonds would be like adding a huge bat to the trade...but not having to take talent away from the rest of the trade. We would be replacing Coco relatively easy without any cost.

WilymoPena
07-10-2008, 02:56 PM
From SI trade rumors:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/extramustard/specials/morning_jolt/2008/07/08/morning.jolt/index.html

Hmm PR nightmare? Kinda like Curt openly coming out this spring and criticizing Sox management? Curt needs to shut his yap and work on rehabbing or whatever he needs to do.
He's not a part of this team this season so his say means nothing in my book.

WilymoPena
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Quite fine ! ;) My boys are grown men now. They both know athletes are people and people can be messed up. Your kids will do the same they emulate who they love/respect the most in the end. Usually not athletes.;)

Bonds for me is damaged goods and would be a win at all costs deal.
..and for the fanboys that say , I would root for him in a RS uniform you are ignorant. I wouldn't enjoy it at all not even game winning HR's. This guy is THAT tainted in my eyes. It would be like bringing in Clemens at this point, screw that.
We have some nice kids without the taint , use them , its the RS way. We aren't desperate.....

Carl Everett comes to mind except this guy is a doper. :mad: Seriously, if he came clean a couple years ago, I might have different feelings.

I love to win too. Just not with a bonefide jack###.

I couldnt care less about your kids or what they think, I WOULD root for him in a sox uniform, just like I rooted for him in his old Pirates and Giants uni's. This man is the best player in baseball history, Period! He has been railroaded by the media since day one, and as far as being a ******* as you so eloquently put it, I would be too if I was being accused of one thing or another my entire career. You say he is a doper, Prove it!!!! So far noone has. I would call you and the rest of the people who use that term in regards to Bonds as whooly Anti-American. You realize that our country and our society is based on the mantra of innocent until proven guilty, as much as you may not like to hear it, the term innocent still applies as it always has to Barry Bonds. This man has never broken the law as far as I can see, and he has been a fairly upstanding citizen from day one. I know I wont sway anyones opinions who is in your camp, but your claims are outrageous and it is a shame you have walled off your children from admiring the greatest baseball player in history. Good Job!

asomen
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
From SI trade rumors:

Oh my god..watch the wiffle ball best pitches. Someone call up baseball tonight and this could have its own segment on "that's nasty."

I didn't even know it was possible to make a wiffle break 10 feet like a zito curve.

RedSoxtober
07-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I couldnt care less about your kids or what they think, I WOULD root for him in a sox uniform, just like I rooted for him in his old Pirates and Giants uni's. This man is the best player in baseball history, Period!

I am not at all surprised that you don't care about anyone else. That has been plainly evident in many of your posts. When you grow up, you will hopefully have a different perspective. I hope so... for your sake.

As for the "I WOULD root for him... just like I rooted for him in his old Pirates and Giants uni's." line, let me be the first to say :bs:. Unless you've lied on your profile you're toiling away at UNH. Great. I'll be super generous and assume you're a rising senior making you 20 or so. Born in 1988 you would have already missed two of his seasons in a PIT uniform and could not possibly have been congnizant enough of MLB for the next four years to have rooted for him at all. It's a great line, on par with some of the campaign BS we'll hear, but it's pretty damn unlikely.

I tried to respond to the rest but it was just too frustrating. You can keep hiding behind "he hasn't been found guilty" if you like but that does not really change his guilt or innocence, only whether or not it has been revealed publicly or not.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I couldnt care less about your kids or what they think, I WOULD root for him in a sox uniform, just like I rooted for him in his old Pirates and Giants uni's. This man is the best player in baseball history, Period! He has been railroaded by the media since day one, and as far as being a ******* as you so eloquently put it, I would be too if I was being accused of one thing or another my entire career. You say he is a doper, Prove it!!!! So far noone has. I would call you and the rest of the people who use that term in regards to Bonds as whooly Anti-American. You realize that our country and our society is based on the mantra of innocent until proven guilty, as much as you may not like to hear it, the term innocent still applies as it always has to Barry Bonds. This man has never broken the law as far as I can see, and he has been a fairly upstanding citizen from day one. I know I wont sway anyones opinions who is in your camp, but your claims are outrageous and it is a shame you have walled off your children from admiring the greatest baseball player in history. Good Job!

Absolutely. :clap: I've always been a fan of him period, but w/e.

goldglove212
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh my god..watch the wiffle ball best pitches. Someone call up baseball tonight and this could have its own segment on "that's nasty."

I didn't even know it was possible to make a wiffle break 10 feet like a zito curve.

thats off topic but the video was still insaneeee

sboyajian
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I am not at all surprised that you don't care about anyone else. That has been plainly evident in many of your posts. When you grow up, you will hopefully have a different perspective. I hope so... for your sake.

As for the "I WOULD root for him... just like I rooted for him in his old Pirates and Giants uni's." line, let me be the first to say :bs:. Unless you've lied on your profile you're toiling away at UNH. Great. I'll be super generous and assume you're a rising senior making you 20 or so. Born in 1988 you would have already missed two of his seasons in a PIT uniform and could not possibly have been congnizant enough of MLB for the next four years to have rooted for him at all. It's a great line, on par with some of the campaign BS we'll hear, but it's pretty damn unlikely.

I tried to respond to the rest but it was just too frustrating. You can keep hiding behind "he hasn't been found guilty" if you like but that does not really change his guilt or innocence, only whether or not it has been revealed publicly or not.
oh snap..

lil'papi
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=asomen;5808403]After reading some articles on ESPN...I thought hard about the possibility of Bonds. According to his agent Boras, Bonds would love to play ANYWHERE. QUOTE]

His agent is Boriss btw.......;)

Of which is complaining no team has inquired about his client. Gee FEDERAL INDICTMENT means little to him , never mind he has bad knees, is 44 yrs old, hasn't played this yr. Steroid taint stuck on his clothes and psyche.
Why aren't teams knocking down his door. I'm shocked.:rolleyes:

You sign him he goes to jail just after the season. The FEDS might haul his butt away before the playoffs.

The guy is tainted, like Chernobyl....three mile island...

Teams won't touch him because Bud Selig and the owners agree he needs to go away. (collusion ?!) He epitomes the steroid era. Poster boy.....he just can't admit it after lying for so long.:rolleyes:

It's not about kids or RST kids either it's about right and wrong. We believe it's wrong and it sets a bad example for all kids. For anyone....even the ones that lost their moral compass.

Win at any cost is WRONG. Signing Bonds won't happen in BOSTON. Our ownership group would NEVER cross hairs with other owners and Selig.

Bonds need to go away.....buh bye..

Dirty Dirk41
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Guilty, not guilty, roids or no roids this man can hit the ball. Hit for contact, hit for power and can draw alot of walks. Of course if papi comes back an is his same old self then i guess we dont really need anything except for maybe a new ss and some desperate pen help. But almost everyone of bonds time was doing roids. If he signed on board with the sox for cheap id welcome him, becuz he can help us win a w.s an thats all i care about..WINNING

ChrisKatz001
07-11-2008, 12:33 PM
I have always been a Bonds supporter (remember he never tested positive hehe). So I would welcome him here with open arms, but only if Ortiz can't go. He would make Manny better as pitchers would have to pitch to one of them.

Barry is:
-All time HR Leader (get over it, he physically hit them all out, it happened)
-4th all time RBI leader
-2nd all time times on base
-3rd all time runs scored
-1st all time in Walks
-2nd all time in extra base hits
-and 1st all time in intentional walks

So you are getting someone who will always be on base as well as a threatening bat. Barry's knees aren't what they used to be but he wouldn't be fielding. Sign him for minimal veterns salary and we are good. This is to be done ONLY if Ortiz can't go or isn't the Ortiz we all know when he comes back. And if Barry doesn't work out cut him, whats the loss?

sboyajian
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I have always been a Bonds supporter (remember he never tested positive hehe). So I would welcome him here with open arms, but only if Ortiz can't go. He would make Manny better as pitchers would have to pitch to one of them.

Barry is:
-4th all time RBI leader
-1st all time in Walks

So you are getting someone who will always be on base as well as a threatening bat. Barry's knees aren't what they used to be but he wouldn't be fielding. Sign him for minimal veterns salary and we are good. This is to be done ONLY if Ortiz can't go or isn't the Ortiz we all know when he comes back. And if Barry doesn't work out cut him, whats the loss?
I agree.. I still think you can get Barry for 2 million.

If he somehow finds himself in Jail before October.. who cares.. he still cost you less per time and production than someone like Lugo.

Again, this is of course, only if David can not return on schedule.

However, I still would prefer a 1.25 million signing of Sosa.

scottyc04901
07-11-2008, 06:59 PM
never ever going to happen....too many problems for epstein to sign him

WilymoPena
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

He hasnt been found guilty of anything. You're an ignorant bastard. Your posts are full of worthless crap at least I am making a valid point. i am 24 years old, and I almsot guarantee I am way more successful than you will ever be. You are probably some overweight couch potato who sits in his house all day looking at pictures of little boys. Suck a fat one ********. Its people like you that make Barry Bonds hate Boston.

WilymoPena
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

WilymoPena
07-11-2008, 07:58 PM

lil'papi
07-12-2008, 08:59 AM
He hasnt been found guilty of anything. You're an ignorant bastard. Your posts are full of worthless crap at least I am making a valid point. i am 24 years old, and I almsot guarantee I am way more successful than you will ever be. You are probably some overweight couch potato who sits in his house all day looking at pictures of little boys. Suck a fat one ********. Its people like you that make Barry Bonds hate Boston.

Good lets hope he HATES Boston cause we HATE his racial insinuations. His doping, his false record breaking stunts, he should just join a circus.

So Mr Successful why is he being indicted by a FEDERAL GRAND JURY? Innocent you say......hogwash. He is also a liar, cheats on his wife, comes with a circus to boot.:confused:

He ADMITTED putting CREAM on his legs, he gained 50lbs in a short time period. He broke sacred records to make money, gain fame, he is a dirteffingbag. He and Clemens both dirtbags ....

He isn't all those records off the juice.
He hasn't played or hit a BB in months.
He is OLDER now.
He has tendinitis in his knees.
The league wants him to go AWAY.

He would need a month to get ready. Ortiz will be back in weeks. DEFINATELY....

Ortiz doesn't come with the stench!

Lastly, Redsoxtober is a stand up guy. I'm sure though what you consider success and him is clearly not the same thing. :rolleyes:

Define success?

lil'papi
07-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Barry is:
-4th all time RBI leader
-1st all time in Walks

...........they don't test for HGH. ;) Otherwise Giambi would still be failing tests along with a bunch of folks.

The loss is the stench he leaves behind for the win at any costs attitude. We are not the NYY. We don't need to go that route.

not now, not ever.

Ortiz will be back. We can trade for a healthy human that has some future value. Why bring him in when it would take a minimum of a month to get him ready?

We have a nice team with speed and with Ortiz we have the best chance to repeat.

If we signed him which they already said NO-WAY we would be tainted forever. Canseco was enough for me, Carl Everett these guys are losers at life.

CubsGirl
07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I posted this in the MLB forum, but just in case anyone missed it:

My in-laws took a trip out to Fenway earlier this week. They were hanging around after the game talking to one of the field attendants, and (I assume since my mother-in-law was wearing her Giants gear), he mentioned that Barry Bonds had worked out with the Red Sox that afternoon because the Sox aren't sure if Ortiz will be back this season, and are keeping their eyes peeled for an alternative just in case he doesn't.

Of course, this doesn't mean that they will sign Bonds at ALL, but it's interesting to hear that the Sox are unsure about Ortiz's status still, and that they even invited Barry Bonds there to work out.

asomen
07-13-2008, 01:36 AM
I posted this in the MLB forum, but just in case anyone missed it:

My in-laws took a trip out to Fenway earlier this week. They were hanging around after the game talking to one of the field attendants, and (I assume since my mother-in-law was wearing her Giants gear), he mentioned that Barry Bonds had worked out with the Red Sox that afternoon because the Sox aren't sure if Ortiz will be back this season, and are keeping their eyes peeled for an alternative just in case he doesn't.

Of course, this doesn't mean that they will sign Bonds at ALL, but it's interesting to hear that the Sox are unsure about Ortiz's status still, and that they even invited Barry Bonds there to work out.

i have two iffy things about this...

a) so the sox don't know if ortiz will be back this season...but he's starting a rehab assignment in Pawtucket on Thursday. Kinda contradicts itself doesn't it? Maybe the soxs don't believe he will be 100 percent the rest of the season...but I think they know he will be back if he's playing AAA ball in 5 days.

b) a field attendent probably knows just as much as I do about Barry Bonds and the Red Sox. You are going to tell me that he has inside sources that told him Bonds was in Boston earlier to hold a workout? And he also has sources that tells him the Soxs don't believe that Ortiz will be back at all this season? If he knows all of this...give me an application...i want to be a wannabe cop..i mean field attendent.

lil'papi
07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Rumor was they had an internal discussion. The answer from that discussion was NO. Nobody wanted him they NEVER contacted him either. That is according to Bonds agent.

Enough already David will be back on the 25th ...fireworks are delayed. :D

Field attendant got his 15 minutes. More like 2 minutes of shame.

GreenMonstah
07-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Bonds may have one of the sweetest bats in the history of baseball. However, teams win championships with chemistry. Bad attitudes and media circuses don't equal rings. The Sox have found a lot of their recent success in young talent. I do not take anything away from him, or his career as a player, but I do not feel like boston is the spot for him.