PDA

View Full Version : Extending Moon's Contract

bosh4mvp
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Im sure BC has already thought about this but wouldnt it make sense to extend him for two or three years rather than waiting til he has a breakout year. Im sure moon would be happy to get that financial security as well. I think he makes league minimum.

Musical Tempo
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Im sure BC has already thought about this but wouldnt it make sense to extend him for two or three years rather than waiting til he has a breakout year. Im sure moon would be happy to get that financial security as well. I think he makes league minimum.

It would be a smart move but I would wait I dont know if there are many teams which are after him really. Paying him league mininum helps us create the roster which we have. If he does have a break out season how much are you really willing to give for him? Max I would give Moon if I was BC would be 1.5m-2m he really isnt worth more on the market. Plus if we lose him it wouldnt be hard to replace him(i.e Hassan Adams) younger and more potential.

Fion
07-07-2008, 05:05 PM
given how little moons being paid, they would be foolish not to extend his contract.

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree with Fion. He's cheap and he plays big for us. We should extend his contract.

Musical Tempo
07-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I agree with Fion. He's cheap and he plays big for us. We should extend his contract.

Thats not how this business works. You give as much money as possible to keep the player, if you dont have to give more since the market doesnt want him. You dont. Why would we give him more money when we aren't sure ourselves that he would get more money anywhere else in the league.

In sports unless they are a superstar calibur player you dont really reward them financial until the market is hungry for them then you pay up. Team's often take risks give money so they dont loser players and the player takes the money and turns into a crackhead..i.e. Darius Miles.

lukeem21
07-07-2008, 06:21 PM
if we wait to sign Moon and he has a breakout year then we would need to spend a lot of money to keep him, he could easily get the reputation as a lockdown defender with only a few improvements and a couple lucky breaks this year...

if we extend him now we make sure we have him for a low price so even if he doesnt pan out then we're not burying ourselves... that all being said if I'm Moon's agent I am telling him to not sign a damn thing till after this year his value in all likelihood will only go up, defense doesnt go in slumps, and his offensive game has a lot of room to improve.

Musical Tempo
07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
if we wait to sign Moon and he has a breakout year then we would need to spend a lot of money to keep him, he could easily get the reputation as a lockdown defender with only a few improvements and a couple lucky breaks this year...

if we extend him now we make sure we have him for a low price so even if he doesnt pan out then we're not burying ourselves... that all being said if I'm Moon's agent I am telling him to not sign a damn thing till after this year his value in all likelihood will only go up, defense doesnt go in slumps, and his offensive game has a lot of room to improve.

He is far from a lockdown defender, he would have to do many improvements, first would be to stay on the floor and not try to block every attempt. I gurantee you what toronto is willing to give to Moon in a year no other team will match that offer of 1.5-2m a year. He is a fan favorite in Toronto he isnt that great of a asset he does one thing ok...and 20 things very poorly. As I said before he is easy to replace watch Hassan Adams do the same things he has done for us last season.

The Wise 1
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I dont think we are allowed to give him an extension even if we wanted to.

Bramaca
07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I dont think we are allowed to give him an extension even if we wanted to.

Correct, can't sign a player to an extension unless the current contract they are on is 4 years or longer and an extension can't be negotiated until after the 3rd season of that contract. That is why Calderon couldn't be signed to an extension last season, he was on a 3 year contract and the Raps had to wait until it expired before they could sign him to a new one.

da1nonly
07-07-2008, 09:21 PM
if you could do an extension.... i would extend his contract on the cheap rather than waiting for him to have a break out season and pay more later... a similar length of term at equal but preferably less value like the ones handed out to humphries, graham or baston wouldn't hurt the raptors...

if he breaks out... then great... we have him signed for a couple years on the cheap... if he doesn't break out and just shows more of the same... at least we have a decent rebounder/blocker energy bench guy for cheap... and bc has shown in the past that he can easily move contracts like that out if he needs too (ie. fred jones, dixon, hoffa, baston etc.)

Ragun
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I would give him an extension but not for more than 3 million annually. He needs to really work on his offense and I mean really.