PDA

View Full Version : (Indians) CC Sabathia Trade or (Twins) Johan Santana Trade?

kyubi256
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Am curious to what some think because two of the BEST lefties in the league were traded this year...

so...

Which team that gave up the star pitcher got the better move?

Indians get:
OF Matt LaPorta
LHP Zach Jackson
RHP Rob Bryson
PTBNL

Brewers get:
CC Sabathia

OR

Twins get:
OF Carlos Gomez
SP Philip Humber
SP Deolis Guerra
SP Kevin Mulvey

Mets get:
SP Johan Santana

Not counting money, contract extensions, anything... who got the better deal for their ace? The Twins or the Indians?

vigilantex69
07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Obviously the Indians got the best part out of all the deals. The Mets didn't give up that much for Santana, and then they wound up having to give him a HUGE contract extension that more than likely he would have signed with them anyway had they thrown that much money at him. The brewers gave up a future all star in LaPorta for just a spot starter rental in Sabathia who could very likely walk after the season when he will probably command $20mil a year over at least 5 or so years. The Indians basically have given up anyway so why not? It was a very good trade for Cleveland.

bosox3431
07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
IMO the Twins. They might have gotten a big time prospect like Laporta, but I think overall the players are better

nyyfan4life
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
The Tigers, IMO. LaPorta will be an all-star.

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
The Twins got Gomez which contributed immeadiately. This Guerra kid could is tearing up the minors at the age of 19. He has a 98 MPH fastball or something like that.

kyubi256
07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Tigers?

The Twins got Gomez which contributed immeadiately. This Guerra kid could is tearing up the minors at the age of 19. He has a 98 MPH fastball or something like that.

no... last time i checked he is 92-94...

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
^the tigers????

i think that the twins got the better players. CF like Carlos Gomez and tough to come by especially when they are complete 5 tool players.

brooks3399
07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
^the tigers????

i think he said the tigers because they dont have to face santana and sabathia in their division now, it does sound pretty good for the tigers lol

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
haha i didnt think about it like that but thats a good call

nyyfan4life
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Tigers?

no... last time i checked he is 92-94...

^the tigers????

i think that the twins got the better players. CF like Carlos Gomez and tough to come by especially when they are complete 5 tool players.

Brain fart. I meant to say the Tribe.

nyyfan4life
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM

His fastball is in the low 90's. He has a deadly change-up though. He needs to work on his arm strength though.

YankeeFan28
07-07-2008, 05:01 PM

What has Gomez contributed to in the MLB level? A bunch of steals?

Obviously i don't see him everyday, and his numbers are terrible. So I'm just wondering, what has he contributed?

Mauersota
07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Well I think the Twins got the better deal but they should of because Sabathia may not be around for 2009, whereas the Mets signed Johan to an extension right away. Though I would say the Brewers got the best player of either deal in LaPorta, the Twins just got a more solid offer.

The A Team
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
LaPorta alone is practically better than the entire package the Mets sent to MN. Gomez doesn't impress me any more than a Michael Bourn or Willie Tavarez. Slightly more pop, slightly less avg.

sportwiz628
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Am curious to what some think because two of the BEST lefties in the league were traded this year...

so...

Which team that gave up the star pitcher got the better move?

Indians get:
OF Matt LaPorta
LHP Zach Jackson
RHP Rob Bryson
PTBNL

Brewers get:
CC Sabathia

OR

Twins get:
OF Carlos Gomez
SP Philip Humber
SP Deolis Guerra
SP Kevin Mulvey

Mets get:
SP Johan Santana

Not counting money, contract extensions, anything... who got the better deal for their ace? The Twins or the Indians?

this time next year lets make this thread as know one knows how laporta will be in the majors but as of now no doubt Twins.

The A Team
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Scouts rave about LaPorta's bat, drawing easy comparisons to Ryan Braun. He leaves something to be desired as an OF and the Indians may want to consider converting him to 1st (the Brewers obviously didn't need him there) or even using him as a DH. He should be a high impact major league player and with Cleveland's struggles could jump straight to the big show.

PhillyUD26
07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Easily the Indians...Carlos Gomez is a basestealer, thats it. He might turn into a better hitter eventually, but bats like LaPorta don't come around that often, and the Indians got a half year out of CC before they shipped him out.

Also the fact that Johan has been the best pitcher of the past decade, and CC has serious health concerns in the future

EdTheRevelator
07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Twins fans got the better end of the deal, because they were never jerked around into believing they could contend. They dealt their ace, and were done with him.

This is so depressing. I realize it's part of the business of baseball but it still sucks when your favorite team is a small market team and can't afford to keep the best players. If LaPorta plays well, this will be just another bad season. But as of right now, it looks like the Tribe's window has closed.

The Schmooze
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I think alot of it depends on whether or not you can give CC an extension

brandonwarne52
07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
LaPorta is a stud, but he probably should be at 23 in AA.

I'm just saying.....AA studs who were younger than that have fizzled out, like Andy Marte.

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I think the Twins did

phillyphan4ever
07-07-2008, 10:37 PM
definitely twins because carlos gomez is a beast!

brandonwarne52
07-07-2008, 10:43 PM

At what? Eating candy?

http://churchesferry.blogspot.com/2008/06/carlos-comez-going-to-movies.html

phillyphan4ever
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
At what? Eating candy?

http://churchesferry.blogspot.com/2008/06/carlos-comez-going-to-movies.html

i thought you were a twins fan :shrug:

Ragun
07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Twins got the better players IMO.

brandonwarne52
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
i thought you were a twins fan :shrug:

I'm a Twins fan, not a ******.

The A Team
07-07-2008, 11:02 PM

Yea I'm wondering myself...you can't possibly be referring to his playing skills. That's skills with an 's' not a 'z'. Chase Utley is a beast. Chase Utley has skillz. Carlos Gomez simply has skills, mostly dependent on his turbo-charged hemi speed.

CiscoKid
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Twins!

rwp86
07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
WHO DO THESE THREADS COME UP BEFORE THE PLAYER HAS PLAYED!!!???? I mean jesus, have some patience, they're both Cy Young players, both command major salaries, and CC hasn't done a thing in a brewers uni other than smile. so based on those few smiles, yes I believe he's having the better year in a different uniform.

scottythegreat1
07-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Out of those two, I would have to say Indians

It is interesting to see the Orioles and the As doing as well as they are after dealing away pitching for prospects (for Bedard and Haren, respectively).