PDA

View Full Version : Manager of the Year

sportzboy5252
07-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I was talking with a friend of mine about who we thought would be the manager of the year. I realize that it's way too early to tell, but I would think that if the Rays keep playing the way they , it would have to be Joe Maddon!
But, my friend pointed out that if the Marlins hang in there in the east, that maybe Fredi Gonzalez could win it (they would need to win the world series which I can't really see happening).

A few others that we discussed were:
- Jerry Manuel (If the Mets win the World Series... I think this could happen because he came in half-way through the season and took over, which is extremely hard to do)
or
- Terry Francona (If the Red Sox win their 2nd WS in a row (3rd since '05) and that would undoubtedly be enough to win Manager of the Year)

I know that winning the World Series will shed some light on the winner of the MOTY, but I just wanted to know who you think is most deserving mid-way through the year...

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Ron Gardenhire, after losing Torii and Johan and the players he has to work with year in and year out and still contend he's got to be considered.

Twins Fan 7
07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I think Ron Gardenhire deserves the award, no one expected the Twins to be playing this well, especially without Santana and Hunter.

Brendan
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
The most underrated manager in baseball should win it. Terry Francona. He has not had a bad year since he came to the red sox and even with Ortiz out and some of his hitters struggling his team is still right there.

In the NL it should be La Russa if the Cards get far. With injuries to their pitching staff and Pujols being out they are still contenders in that division

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I think Joe Maddon is a lock. The N.L. is up for grabs though. I can't see anyone from the NL West winning it. You can make a case for Lou Pinella. If the Cardinals hang in there, Tony LaRusa is probably the winner because he took a team with very little expectations and made them a contender. You could also say if Jerry Manuel turns the Mets season around and gets them into the postseason, he would win some votes. My bets are
A.L. Joe Maddon
N.L. Tony LaRussa

JDIsMyGod23
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Maddon. It really isn't even close.

JDIsMyGod23
07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
And NL. I have zero idea.

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Maddon, from worst record to best record.....

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 04:27 PM
The A's Manager if they win the division

JDIsMyGod23
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
The A's Manager if they win the division

Probably not a good choice if you can't even name him. Haha. All I know is last name is Geren, and that's because we just played them.

sportzboy5252
07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Probably not a good choice if you can't even name him. Haha. All I know is last name is Geren, and that's because we just played them.

Bob Geren is their manager...

Faithdies
07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Can someone explain how a Manager with the 2nd or 3rd highest payrolls should ever be considered for manager of the year?

Max Power
07-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Maddon, Gardenhire, and Geren all deserve consideration, right now in the AL.

NL, probably LaRussa.

A couple overlooked candidates:

Scoscia has done a great job keeping LAA on top with a ****load of injuries.

And, of course, Jason Varitek. Nobody manages a pitching staff better. Is there anything he can't do? Well, besides hit.

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 04:33 PM
It'll be Maddon for AL. Probably Piniella for NL as much as I'd hate that.

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Maddon, Gardenhire, and Geren all deserve consideration, right now in the AL.

NL, probably LaRussa.

A couple overlooked candidates:

Scoscia has done a great job keeping LAA on top with a ****load of injuries.

And, of course, Jason Varitek. Nobody manages a pitching staff better. Is there anything he can't do? Well, besides hit.

Thats probably it right there, thats all we can say 'till the end of the year.

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
And one more thing Jason Varitek's beard is outstanding and so is his bat.

bignate14
07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
I think Joe Maddon is a lock. The N.L. is up for grabs though. I can't see anyone from the NL West winning it. You can make a case for Lou Pinella. If the Cardinals hang in there, Tony LaRusa is probably the winner because he took a team with very little expectations and made them a contender. You could also say if Jerry Manuel turns the Mets season around and gets them into the postseason, he would win some votes. My bets are
A.L. Joe Maddon
N.L. Tony LaRussa

agree

THE_FLASH_21
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Maddon.. A.L
Lou........N.L

The A Team
07-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Too much up for grabs in the NL to even speculate. Could be just about anyone. However, I'm willing to bet $100 that it isn't Jerry Manuel. Of the maybe 8 games I've watched him coach he's been visibly bad. When you notice that the manager is struggling there's a problem.

Bulldog76
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
AL:
Maddon
Guillen
Gardenhire
NL:
LaRusa
Piniella
Manual (only if they win the division)

The A Team
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Pinella only if he wins over 100. The Cubs were expected to be one of the top 2 teams in the NL this year. You have to rise above expectations to be the manager of the year.

The Schmooze
07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Too much up for grabs in the NL to even speculate. Could be just about anyone. However, I'm willing to bet $100 that it isn't Jerry Manuel. Of the maybe 8 games I've watched him coach he's been visibly bad. When you notice that the manager is struggling there's a problem.

obviously it wouldnt be Manuel, but what makes him look so "visibly bad"? The Mets have been playing better since he's started so I wouldnt say he's struggling.

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Maddon!!!!!!!!!

IRUAM #21
07-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Fredi Gonzalez in the Nl

Joe maddon in the Al

CarniifeX
07-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Joe Madden with ease.

Sick Of It All
07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Willie Randolph hands down!!

CB30
07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Joe Maddon, not very close

TheShock45
07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
why does this guy keep saying if they win the world series if they win the world series

Managers of the year to me should be
AL - Minnesota Twins Ron Gardenhire
NL - Florida Marlins Fredi Gonzalez

they WILL be
AL - Tampa bay Rays Joe Maddon
NL - Chicago Cubs Lou Piniella

i know the rays are a great story but the twins have nothing (sorry minny fans) and there right there with the red sox they let torri walk and they did not get the best value for johan and alot of there players are just scrappy and they are taking on the best in the AL

Cullksinikers
07-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Maddon. Worst to First, that's a heck of a job, and he revived that franchise.

brandonwarne52
07-07-2008, 07:39 PM
And one more thing Jason Varitek's beard is outstanding and so is his bat.

Outstanding for opposing pitchers:)

Maddon
Piniella

Swish-Cab-Ob
07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Even if the Rays barley finish over .500, Maddon will win the Manager of the Year for the AL.

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Maddon

Ragun
07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Tampa's Manager.

letsgofish
07-07-2008, 11:01 PM
fredi might win it but i hate him as a manager. hes like dusty baker

The A Team
07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
obviously it wouldnt be Manuel, but what makes him look so "visibly bad"? The Mets have been playing better since he's started so I wouldnt say he's struggling.

He's struggled handling his pitchers and he doesn't seem to have the respect of some of the players (otherwise they wouldn't show him up). Playing better than atrocious isn't much of an accomplishment considering the talent on the Mets roster and the payroll that's doled out.

Ph1lly Diehard
07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
NL: La Rusa

AL: Gardenhire

ManRam
07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
As much as I HATE Joe Maddon, and trust me, I do...he has to be the favorite in the NL. What he has his young Rays doing is amazing. They aren't overachieving, but they easily could be underachieving because of their youth. He's doing a great job, and really is on the pulse of the team.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Bruce Bochy. Look what hes done with a young Giants team. Hes kept the Giants in contention with a dismal lineup, and has done very well with the young players.

John Kruk agrees.

sportzboy5252
07-09-2008, 01:08 PM
As much as I HATE Joe Maddon, and trust me, I do...he has to be the favorite in the NL. What he has his young Rays doing is amazing. They aren't overachieving, but they easily could be underachieving because of their youth. He's doing a great job, and really is on the pulse of the team.

Joe Maddon is in the AL (Tampa Bay Rays)

letsgofish
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Bruce Bochy. Look what hes done with a young Giants team. Hes kept the Giants in contention with a dismal lineup, and has done very well with the young players.

John Kruk agrees.

homer. the only reason hes in contention is because you division is terrible

Havoc Wreaker
07-09-2008, 02:39 PM
If season ends today

AL Maddon Close 2nd Francona (As much as I Hate him)

NL Piniella Close 2nd Marlins Manager and Close 3rd Larussa

Havoc Wreaker
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
homer. the only reason hes in contention is because you division is terrible

Took the words Right outta my mouth :clap:

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Dusty Baker

Sc00py
07-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Maddon will probably win it

apopnotasoda
07-12-2008, 03:36 AM
Honestly I don't really see where Maddon deserves to win it. Tell me where I'm wrong but wasn't this team supposed to be good. Kazmir, Shields... plus all their stud hitters they've been piling up. The Twins had a losing record last year, then lost Santana and Silva, gold glove/ all star center fielder Torii Hunter and only signed Livan Hernandez, Craig Monroe, and Mike Lamb. At this point, they have the almost the least homeruns in the AL, Hernandez has more wins than all the other starters have starts, no FA signees in the lineup regularly and 3 callups starting yet are a game out of 1st.

Gardenhire should be AL Manager of the Year at this point IMO