PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Playoff Contenders?

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Did trading prospects for Carsten Charles Sabathia make the Brewers a contender in the NL to make it to the playoffs and potentially the World Series? What are your thoughts?

TheBatchelor213
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't see them getting in or really even being there down the stretch.

Max Power
07-07-2008, 03:52 PM
They were leading the WC before the trade, so of course they're a contender.

A poll is needed to determine this?

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
They were leading the WC before the trade, so of course they're a contender.

A poll is needed to determine this?

But how deep will they go if they do make it?

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
But how deep will they go if they do make it?

With 3 pitchers in Sheets, Sabathia and Parra and then even Suppan that can go into the late innings every start and minimize the use of our bullpen, who knows?

I don't see them getting in or really even being there down the stretch.

:rolleyes: Sounds like a Dodger fan that wanted CC

JDIsMyGod23
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
They are for sure playoff bound. They went through the rough growing pains year last year. CC might be like a 1998 Randy Johnson pick-up. He has been dealing since his bad start. Only way I don't say World Series contenders, is because I don't think anyone is yet, it's too early.

Ragun
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
they are playoff bound IMO.

blams
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
they should easily win the wild card, the cubs will easily win the division.

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 04:55 PM
they will make the playoffs now that they have him and sheets 1-2 thats crazy. then throw parra who's 9-2 on top of that with a veteran behind him in Suppan who knows how to pitch and they are looking VERY good. that offense is just starting to heat up. Watch out Cubbies!

KmB728
07-07-2008, 05:02 PM
They should make the playoffs

The A Team
07-07-2008, 05:45 PM
The Brewers still need multiple relievers to step up to be a worrisome team. If they could make a big relief pick up they could challenge the Cubs for the division. With the addition of CC, they should be able to hold off the Cards, whom I expect to fall back to Earth in the 2nd half. They will not be WS contenders without some shutdown relievers.

TheBatchelor213
07-07-2008, 07:12 PM
With 3 pitchers in Sheets, Sabathia and Parra and then even Suppan that can go into the late innings every start and minimize the use of our bullpen, who knows?

:rolleyes: Sounds like a Dodger fan that wanted CC

Far from it, why would I deem it fit to give up 1 or 2 of our young guns for CC when we have the best pitching in the National League? If anything I would say trade for a slugger if the price was right but in the big picture, I do not think any trades are needed on our behalf. I just do not think Milw will make the playoffs, they will fade, CC will start 15 games, put up about the same numbers he has put up all season, and sign somewhere else next year. If the Brewers did not have such depth in their system this would be an even worse trade but since they do have depth you cannot fault them for trying, but in the long haul, they got ripped off, no way around it.

kyubi256
07-07-2008, 07:14 PM
def world series contender with that team... but do i think they might make it? Possibly not in that division...

Swish-Cab-Ob
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
They should be in the playoffs, the Cubs and Brewers are going to be battling the rest of the season.

redwhitenblue
07-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Someone needs to wake up the majority of fans, Parra's 1.52 WHIP is not impressive, he's an explosion waiting to happen, he shouldn't be mentioned in the same zip code as the other two

OnWisconsin2007
07-07-2008, 08:27 PM
WHIP isn't that big of a deal. I look at an 8-2 record with a 3.69 ERA as pretty impressive. Sure, he's letting some guys on, but as long as they're not scoring I don't mind, and they aren't. Sure, you can say that he eventually will let guys on and then a big HR or something, but he's won 8 starts in a row, should have been 9, and he's overall just pitching his butt off.

YankeeFan28
07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
lmao, WHIP isn't a big deal. WHIP is a pretty useful stat. It's pretty predictive of the future as well. If a player has a low ERA but a high WHIP, his ERA is due to rise, because in baseball, he's due. Those runners will start scoring.

In order to maintain success, he needs to get his WHIP down.

But it's pretty unfair to judge Parra's ERA and WHIP off of 119 career innings.

OnWisconsin2007
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
OK, I may have jumped the gun. But what I'm saying is, that he's a young, young pitcher that's 8-2 with a 3.69 ERA. That's all.

mattz1212
07-07-2008, 08:45 PM
On paper moves like this help a team, but they don't always work out. Colon was supposed to help the Expos down the stretch, he put up terrific numbers and the Expos still managed to do worse after acquiring him. Personally I think this move gives the Brewers a better shot at the playoffs, but I am certainly not going to book them for October reservations.

chisoxfan620
07-07-2008, 08:59 PM
They will make the playoffs via the wild card.

Epic89
07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
I think it makes them the second best team in the NL, after the Cubs of course

nickels2
07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I think Milwaukee has a better chance at the division than most think. They've taken 4 of 6 this season in Chicago which is obviously one of the toughest places to play. Who knows though,Chicago is extremely talented, so it should be a good race. Personally, I'm rooting for Mil.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
nope

Brooke
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Yep, they were already tied for 2nd in the division and now this helps their chances even more

cwilson21
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Well I hope they are contenders.

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
They will make the playoffs

The A Team
07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
lmao, WHIP isn't a big deal. WHIP is a pretty useful stat. It's pretty predictive of the future as well. If a player has a low ERA but a high WHIP, his ERA is due to rise, because in baseball, he's due. Those runners will start scoring.

In order to maintain success, he needs to get his WHIP down.

But it's pretty unfair to judge Parra's ERA and WHIP off of 119 career innings.

All this is true, but at the same time we shouldn't treat WHIP as some sort of omniscient predictor. There are plenty of pitchers who've had high whips and have maintained far lower ERA's than you'd expect over statistically significant periods. It's a nice stat, but it's only one of a multitude of indicators to consider.

The A Team
07-07-2008, 11:14 PM
I think Milwaukee has a better chance at the division than most think. They've taken 4 of 6 this season in Chicago which is obviously one of the toughest places to play. Who knows though,Chicago is extremely talented, so it should be a good race. Personally, I'm rooting for Mil.

I expect Chicago to land one of the bigger names still left out there. They've been linked to talks about Harden and I think other names could arise too. That should cement their playoff berth this season. That cement just happens to be the foundation of the basement they'll be inhabiting a few years down the road.

CiscoKid
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Close! But Bullpen help is needed!