PDA

View Full Version : Sixers future depends on the Warriors

PDT4LIFE
07-07-2008, 03:10 PM
After reading this article, I feel that the 76ers may be in better shape with free agency than I originally thought.

Point 1: Warriors plan on resigning Monta and Biedrins before extending an offer to Brand. This gives the 76ers a chance to swoop in and wine and dine Brand in Philly.

Point 2: Sources inside the Warriors state they are not interested in Josh Smith. Bidding war is now reduced to Philly and Atlanta.

Point 3: Warriors only want to offer Maggette the mid-level exception. Sixers have the cap room to blow him away if they feel he's an important piece.

Point 4: Due to A.I's restricted status, the Warriors do not want to lock up their money (seven days) bidding on him while they try to resign their own players and bid on higher priority free agents afterward. Thus, we don't overpay to resign him.

Long post - Sorry, but some points worth mentioning.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=27854

PDT4LIFE
07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Thoughts???

KmB728
07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
The sixers seem to be in a good position

phillyphan4ever
07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
i always liked the warriors, but if they take iggy or smith from us i will hate them!

Camden Guru
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
i always liked the warriors, but if they take iggy or smith from us i will hate them!

you havent got smith yet:eyebrow: you still have to go through ATL. i am suprised that the warriors are not intrested in smith. to me he would be a perfect fit. smith thrives in the open court and i a decent enough defender to help biedrins out. the only flaw in smith in nelly's offense is the fact that smith can not shoot or spread the floor.

BlondeBomber41
07-07-2008, 03:49 PM

1. The only way they can "take" Iggy is if the Sixers dont match, which they will.

2. Neither the Sixers or Warriors are getting Josh Smith, the Hawks are gonna match his offer. Stop thinking they wont....

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm.. can Atlanta match any offer Philly gives to Josh Smith though?

BDAWK11
07-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Im pretty sure they cant?

pa the nigan 14
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Not if it's alot of money in the first couple years. I believe they have a decent amount of money invested in Johnson and Bibby for at least the next couple of years.

BlondeBomber41
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Hmm.. can Atlanta match any offer Philly gives to Josh Smith though?

Yes, they absolutely can. I dont know what the other two guys above me are talking about. The Hawks have full rights to Josh Smith and can match anything. Thats what restricted free agency is.

NBAkYD
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Whether they can or will is a different story. I think the thinking is that they won't match a big enough offer because It will cost them any future money. They would be in cap hell if they match an offer that would put them over for years to come. That said, I think the Hawks outlook, rightfully, is that hell is worth Josh Smith

BlondeBomber41
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Nothing is going to put the Hawks into "hell". The only other two big contracts on the books are Joe Johnson for 14 and Bibby for 15. Bibbys contract expires after this coming offseason though, so thats not really an issue for the future.

Other than that, the only bad contract on the team is Speedy Claxton, but thats manageable at about 5.5 million for the next two years.

The fact is you dont let a young, explosive star just walk. I GUARANTEE you before they would let Josh Smith walk they would match an offer and then just trade him before the trade deadline for an expiring and a couple of prospects or picks. No team in their right mind would let a player of Smith's caliber walk, with his upside and all his intangibles. NO WAY.

If they dont want him, trade him to the Mavs for Jason Kidd and Brandon Bass. Then cut Kidd (who is an expiring) and keep a young stud like Brandon Bass. Kidd comes back to the Mavs and the Mavs have Josh Smith.

The thing is, they would get MUCH better offers for Smith than that if they just matched and traded him later. They are NBA GM's and owners, they know that just as much as I do. They will not just let him walk.

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 05:47 PM
thats called anal conssumption!

Beno7500
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
how about ellis to SAC?

Kdirt
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
After reading this article, I feel that the 76ers may be in better shape with free agency than I originally thought.

Point 1: Warriors plan on resigning Monta and Biedrins before extending an offer to Brand. This gives the 76ers a chance to swoop in and wine and dine Brand in Philly.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=27854

This is completely bogus, If the Warriors sign Monta and Andris first then they wont have cap room to sign Brand. Monta and Andris have bird rights, meaning the Warriors can sign them over the salary cap to protect them, but only if they sign Brand or any other free agent before, otherwise the 17 million Baron left open to us would go straight to Monta and Andris outright and then there is no money left.

Camden Guru
07-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Whether they can or will is a different story. I think the thinking is that they won't match a big enough offer because It will cost them any future money. They would be in cap hell if they match an offer that would put them over for years to come. That said, I think the Hawks outlook, rightfully, is that hell is worth Josh Smith

lets think about that question..... you have a failing franchise that has not seen any light since nique left. you have a hard time selling tickets and somehow you land a gold nugget in josh smith who is one of the most exciting players in the nba. his contract is coming to an end what is an owner to do? they are going to keep him in a hawks uniform because it would hurt ticket sales. the atlanta spirit is cheap but they can not be dumb. losing smith would be the worst financial mistake of their life. the hawks will match the 11.5 mill that philly could offer him for the first year. we just want to know how much philly wants to offer so that we can match because we don't want to fork out 12+ mill per season. Chills on the other hand maybe expendable since he does not put fans in the stands. I hope we can resign him as well

cali72888
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
warriors will sign brand then lock up biedris and ellis, not the other way around. smith should get out of atlanta because your owner is a moron and will not retain key players on your team for the correct price, he would rather give low ball offers like we did to barons injury prone *****.
you know that if the warriors do not sign brand the first players they are going to go after is iggy and magette. we could easily sign both players to larger contracts then both 76ers and the spurs(magette), the question is if it would be wise to do so.
iggy would thrive in nelsons system, he would jump at the chance to leave philly and be the face of the warriors franchise, him and ellis would make two future stars, and nelson would have a field day.
we have the best fan base in the world and players know that if you go to a bay area franchise you will be forever loved in the bay.