PDA

View Full Version : What about Pudge?

c2thab
07-07-2008, 12:45 PM
This is the time of year I like to "surf the web" for trade deadline rumors and I stumbled across this notion:

http://dodgerdugout.com/Changeup.html

To be quite honest I kinda like the idea. Aquiring Pudge would be great not only for the team but for Russ. Say we trade for Pudge...He becomes our everyday catcher and Russ in turn moves to 3B or SS. And if needed on Pudge's off days Russ can catch as our "back-up". The idea has been thrown around to move Russ to 3B or SS eventually and if needed next year he can always go back to being our everyday catcher. Pudge is getting a little bit older but he can still play. And theres a good chance he wouldnt cost us a package of our top prospects. I think this is a better idea than to try to get jack Wilson.

knoxcrew
07-07-2008, 12:48 PM
That's a lot of money for a catcher his age, even if it is just for the rest of this year.

BlueMouse
07-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I get the feeling if Russ started playing SS, he would wind up being considered one of the best in the league. I don't know if I'm 100% behind this, but Martin's versatility definitely gives us options.

I only do it if Martin can handle Short though, otherwise we wind up with 4 3B on our roster.

BlueZoo
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=BlueMouse;5762353]I get the feeling if Russ started playing SS, he would wind up being considered one of the best in the league. I don't know if I'm 100% behind this, but Martin's versatility definitely gives us options.

I only do it if Martin can handle Short though, otherwise we wind up with 4 3B on our roster.[/QUOW

We're just that kind of a team..stockpile certain positions like the OF, and 3B, and leave gaping holes at several others...
It's the new thing.
It's the Dodger way...

Tapptout
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
i don't think Russ can handle SS on an every day basis...i almost guarantee he could do a spot start there and be okay but he's not quick enough for SS daily. He handles 3B well though.

Shawh
07-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Eh, I don't like this idea. Pudge is getting old, he's turning 38 soon. Plus he'd probably demand a fair amount of money. Let Russ stay at the backstop, he's one of the best catchers in the MLB. We can try to solidify those other positions via trades and free agency.

MR DODGER
07-07-2008, 04:44 PM
No thanks.....i prefer Nady/Bay and Wilson.

The 6-4-3
07-07-2008, 06:39 PM
ya dont like this idea much either

Tymathee
07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd love to go for nady or bay but moving russ to 3b getting pudge to play C for the rest of the year and calling up one of our youngsters to play next year sounsd like a novel and nedish idea...

BlueMouse
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I'd love to go for nady or bay but moving russ to 3b getting pudge to play C for the rest of the year and signing Benito Santiago to play next year sounsd like a novel and nedish idea...

What you said wasn't quite Nedish enough ... so I fixed it.

don'tfireNedCo
07-07-2008, 07:21 PM
considering what pudge is making, I say pudge for pierre is the only $ savy move... but I don't see this happening and I hope we don't

G2BOAT
07-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Martin is the best catcher in the League. Why don't we just get a Shortstop that actally plays shortstop. Rather than moving Martin, who has a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger (and he'll probably win another Silver Slugger this year.)

MrChris951
07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
I say no to this move....

Tymathee
07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Martin is the best catcher in the League. Why don't we just get a Shortstop that actally plays shortstop. Rather than moving Martin, who has a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger (and he'll probably win another Silver Slugger this year.)

I agree. I'd rather keep him at C because he is the best catcher (all around) in the league he's the new mike Scocia:D

c2thab
07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Just an FYI....Pudge is a FA after this year and I am not saying we re-sign him. He would just be a rental for the remaining year to get Russ out of everyday catching but still keep his bat in the line-up at a different position. I am also sure that the Tigers would pick up some of his salary if we took him off their hands.

LA BUMS
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Pudge for JP is the only way this one works for us