PDA

View Full Version : Homerun Derby hitters?

Poncho_707
07-07-2008, 11:15 AM
who do u think will be in the homerun derby?

im saying

Berkman
vlad
utley
uggla
hamilton
pujols
Howard
Sizemore
Dunn

that was a pure guess..iunno how many hitters there even are

but wouldnt it be funny to have a pitchers home run derby? like a shorter fence and have like owings..zambrano..people like that duke it out haaha

lavell12
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I like Uggla and Hamilton. Uggla is just a swing for the fences and grip and rip hitter so he should have no problem. While Hamilton hits bombs in BP all the time plus he has that real short porch in right field. Utley has the least chance just b/c he doesn't have a hr swing and has a real quick but short stroke which isn't good for a hr derby, utley will also have to change his swing the most which could hurt later on.

iam brett favre
Utley, Uggla, Berkman, Hamilton have been confirmed.. i think the giambino should be in it

iam brett favre
last year i remember ichiro said he wanted to be in the HR derby.. i dont know what happened to that

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 11:22 AM

im saying

Berkman
vlad
utley
uggla
hamilton
pujols
Howard
Sizemore
Dunn

but wouldnt it be funny to have a pitchers home run derby? like a shorter fence and have like owings..zambrano..people like that duke it out haaha

They do 4 from the AL & 4 from the NL....And you have listed 6 from the NL & 3 from the AL.

ThisIsTheYear
07-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Put Justin Upton in it, anybody see his homer last night??

That **** was a straight bomb.

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Utley will screw up his swing I bet, same with Hamilton, they are line drive hitters.

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Put Justin Upton in it, anybody see his homer last night??

That **** was a straight bomb.

Someone told me about it, like 484 feet or some ****?

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM

im saying

Berkman
vlad
utley
uggla
hamilton
pujols
Howard
Sizemore
Dunn

but wouldnt it be funny to have a pitchers home run derby? like a shorter fence and have like owings..zambrano..people like that duke it out haaha dont for get sabathia and believ me these guys dont need shorter fences

koldjerky
07-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I like Uggla and Hamilton. Uggla is just a swing for the fences and grip and rip hitter so he should have no problem. While Hamilton hits bombs in BP all the time plus he has that real short porch in right field. Utley has the least chance just b/c he doesn't have a hr swing and has a real quick but short stroke which isn't good for a hr derby, utley will also have to change his swing the most which could hurt later on.

a la Bobby Abreu and he won the Derby 3 years back. For that reason, I don't want Utley to get passed the first round. Abreu wasn't the same after the ASG that season.

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 12:38 PM
a la Bobby Abreu and he won the Derby 3 years back. For that reason, I don't want Utley to get passed the first round. Abreu wasn't the same after the ASG that season.

He hasn't been the same ever since power-wise.

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
im glad nobody is mentioning a-gon's name i dont want him to be in it for that reason

koldjerky
07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
He hasn't been the same ever since power-wise.

Yeah, pretty much.

BearSox
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I wish the MLB did like what the NBA does for the 3 point contest, and not necessarily have only all-stars in it.

Like Adam Dunn, he might not be an all-star, but there aren't many better HR hitters. Dunn, Howard, Cust, etc. should be invited to do the HR derby.

Freel for prez
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
It should be the guys who have the most power...regardless of their average or any other numbers, I just want to see raw strength and I think these guys can supply that:

NL
A. DUNN
L. BERKMAN
R. HOWARD
D. UGGLA

AL
C. QUENTIN
J. HAMILTON
A. RODRIGUEZ
V. GUERRERO

Yes thats right...Utley is not in it...Hes an amazing hitter but not the type of guy whose gonna do anything big in a HR Derby. also Adam Dunn HAS to be in it this year, every year he is in top 5 or so in home runs and hes 6'6 280 lbs...He never hits a wall scraper...put him in the HR DERBY!!!! I hate putting Gay-rod in this but I know that there has to be one Yankee in it, and Giambi shouldnt be in it...he took HGH and roid!!! Also Hamilton is not just a line drive hitter...that guy can hit home runs the other way like its not even real...he will be great in the HRD. Im predicting the finals to be Josh Hamilton Vs Dan Uggla...Winner...Dan Uggla.

McJoe
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Utley will screw up his swing I bet, same with Hamilton, they are line drive hitters.

hamilton definitely seems like a candidate to forget how to play baseball because he is in a derby...Utley i think could hang on...IMO utley might be the best overall pure hitter in baseball, high average, good power, good short stroke, lots of good things and i think because of that he should be ok...

but then again abreu wasnt ok so.....

ShinobiNYC
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Should be: Dunn, Howard, Pujols, Berkman, Giambi, Manny, Vlad, Hamilton.

I'm ok with w/e they select though.

McJoe
07-07-2008, 01:02 PM
double post..........

McJoe
07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
triple post.......

JDIsMyGod23
07-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I want Quentin to do it, but not Quentin to do it. But, I think he'd rock it.

Freel for prez
07-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Yes your right about utley...but in a derby situation i dont think hed do as good...if the reds were pitching to him...hed probably win it...hahah

fresh prince
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Vlad will be there for sure to defend his HR derby championship from last year..

Others should be:

AL:
A Rod
Hamilton
Sizemore
Vlad

Nl:
Berkman
Dunn
Uggla
Howard

They should put in as many lefties as possible to hit at the short porch at Yankees Stadium

avsman05
07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
top 4 in hr's from the al and nl should be in the derby.

rapjuicer06
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
i don't think howard should be in it....he'd prolly strike out three or four times

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
The only Yankee I would want to see in the Derby is Giambi because of his upper-cut swing. Other than that, why would fans want their players to participate? It will only harm the player, it won't do any good. I unerstand that it would be fun to watch them, but historically, swings have been ruined do to the contest.

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
hamilton definitely seems like a candidate to forget how to play baseball because he is in a derby...Utley i think could hang on...IMO utley might be the best overall pure hitter in baseball, high average, good power, good short stroke, lots of good things and i think because of that he should be ok...

but then again abreu wasnt ok so.....

That short stroke will hurt him in the derby, so if he tries to lengthen it a bit to get a little more pop, it could hurt him in the long run. He is very similar to Abreu swing-wise, so hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake. it would be a shame to see him struggle in the second half after having such a great first half.

giles and giles
07-07-2008, 01:37 PM
im glad nobody is mentioning a-gon's name i dont want him to be in it for that reason

but over the last 2 weeks all he has done is swing for the fences

Goatboy1717
07-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Vlad has already confirmed that he will be there to defend his title. Im not worried about Vlad. He did fine last year after the derby. Now Utley is a different story. His swing wouldnt be good for the derby at all. I think it could really hurt him in the second half if he tries to lengthen his swing and muscle up.

cwilson21
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I'll take Hamilton. When the Rangers were at the Metrodome a couple of months ago, Mike Redmond saw Hamilton in batting practice crush a ball to dead centerfield that hit this one sign or landed like in the upper deck or some **** and said that that was the farthest he had ever seen a baseball hit. He can absolutely maul a ball.

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I heard McCann may be in it.

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Why no Morneau?

Max Power
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Why no Varitek?

He could "lead" the ball out of the park.

PapelbonLester
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Why no Varitek?

deffently a yankees fan

Raetz52
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
LOL!!!!! :clap:

White Sox fan23
07-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Carlos Quentin should be in it

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Why no Varitek?

That was good.:clap:

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
AL- Sizemore, Hamilton, Quentin, Morneau. NL-Pujols, Braun, Howard and H. Ramirez or Uggla.

TheShock45
07-07-2008, 03:19 PM
ok im almost positive the derby candidates have to be on the all star team

so fars its
NL
Berkman
Uggla
Utley

and
AL
Hamilton
Vlad

I think there waiting on to see who the final ballot is because i think they want giambi and maybe carlos lee or david wright

they are dying for a yankee so dont be surprised if jeter is in it if giambi doesnt make the all star team

TheShock45
07-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Vlad will be there for sure to defend his HR derby championship from last year..

Others should be:

AL:
A Rod
Hamilton
Sizemore
Vlad

Nl:
Berkman
Dunn
Uggla
Howard

They should put in as many lefties as possible to hit at the short porch at Yankees Stadium

they tried that the last 2 years and thats when all the leftys were bailin gout fo the derby

natepro
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Guerrero isn't an All-Star this year and he's in it.

Also, isn't Uggla hurt? I know it's his ankle, but he still hasn't played in a game yet...

AsfanSince99
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM

My bet's on Uggla. Didn't know how good he was until we played them. Seeing him and Hamilton in the final should be nice.

xander
07-07-2008, 03:54 PM

im saying

Berkman
vlad
utley
uggla
hamilton
pujols
Howard
Sizemore
Dunn

Real nice list, I dunno about Sizemore, though. I don't think he has much more than 25-30 HR power, but then again...Alex Rios last year :shrug:

Max Power
07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
deffently a yankees fan

False.

Absolute terms such as 'deffently' should only be used when a truth is being told.

Such as : Jason Varitek is deffently the worst all star selection ever.

Then again, I am not so sure what deffently actually means.

I smell my bat
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Real nice list, I dunno about Sizemore, though. I don't think he has much more than 25-30 HR power, but then again...Alex Rios last year :shrug:
What? He is on pace for 40+.

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I wanna see Josh Hamilton. He's hit some BOMBS in his minor league career.

blams
07-07-2008, 04:45 PM
wrong. sizemore has at least 21 hr's already. he is on pace to get about 38 hrs.

blams
07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
What? He is on pace for 40+.

actually more like 38,39. unless he has more than 21 right now, he may.

do you know his exact number right now?

blams
07-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I wanna see Josh Hamilton. He's hit some BOMBS in his minor league career.

get a sig right now. you have 100 posts.

vladdy#27
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Vladimr Guerrero repeat

nyyfan4life
07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Giambi should be in the HR derby.

Sevilla91
07-07-2008, 05:02 PM

clearly you dont watch hamiltion play, he's hit tons of opposite field homeruns, thats why you dont put a shift on for him because he can hit it anywhere

TheShock45
07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Guerrero isn't an All-Star this year and he's in it.

Also, isn't Uggla hurt? I know it's his ankle, but he still hasn't played in a game yet...

its must be becausehe's the defending champ
because this is what giambi said

Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi said Sunday that if fans elect him to the final spot on the AL roster, he would be willing to hit in the annual contest.

and you know they are dying for a yankee in it

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
yahoo sports already has said like 4 who are officially gunna be in it. hamilton sizemore utley uggla and there was someone else i think that are already in. then they said that giambi would compete if he gets voted in as the last man

Joba Rules!!
07-07-2008, 09:33 PM
clearly you dont watch hamiltion play, he's hit tons of opposite field homeruns, thats why you dont put a shift on for him because he can hit it anywhere

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF ROE GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip sOPS+ tOPS+ Split
+-+------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+------------+

Opp Fld-LHB 49 67 62 25 9 1 3 19 0 0 0 0 0 5 2 0 .403 .373 .726 1.099 .344 173 134 Opp Fld-LHB

This is kind of messed up...

The moral of the story is, Hamilton has only hit 3 opposite field home runs :eyebrow:

ShinobiNYC
07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
yahoo sports already has said like 4 who are officially gunna be in it. hamilton sizemore utley uggla and there was someone else i think that are already in. then they said that giambi would compete if he gets voted in as the last man

The ones announced so far are: Berkman, Hamilton, Sizemore, Uggla, Utley.

dnnug
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Matt Holliday, sure he doesn't have 20 hr's but he's been tearing the cover off the ball lately with the homers. He hit another home run tonight which I believe makes it 4 in the past five games or something like that.

plus he put on quite a show at AT&T park last season which isn't exactly a hitter friendly park.

rapjuicer06
07-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned pujols' name. how can you leave out arguably the best hitter in the game?

jmb8311
07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
I'd like to see Chipper in it so he and Berkman can show off switch hitting in the derby. Other than him, I'd still like to see JR just to marvel at the beauty of his swing.

WOwolfOL
07-08-2008, 03:05 AM
I'm hoping to see Adrian Gonzalez Vs. Sizemore in the finals. With Sizemore pulling it out.

jmtapia
07-08-2008, 03:20 AM
I'd like to see Chipper in it so he and Berkman can show off switch hitting in the derby. Other than him, I'd still like to see JR just to marvel at the beauty of his swing.

Lets not have Chipper in it please.....if he were to go down i swear i would just go into oblivion

tboltzcali00
07-08-2008, 03:57 AM
I would like to see my boy A Gone in it. Maybe he can bring home the only championship trophy the padres will ever win!

jmtapia
07-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Brian McCan would be a nice selection.........not the power most others have but the guy has one of the most effortless swings in the league.

nyyfan4life
07-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Hopefully Giambi gets in. The Yanks need a rep since we all know A-Rod doesn't like to participate in this event.

sieracki24
07-08-2008, 04:20 AM
I wanna see Braun but with only one more NL selection left, it's gonna be tough to get...

FriarFanatic
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
i wanna see a-gon get selected to participate

joeshmo99987
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
A-Rod has said many times he is not going to participate

Padres Son
07-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I think Adrian will be in it. Any chance JD Drew will be in it?

KingWario
07-08-2008, 08:06 PM
i would love to see ichiro in it he would definitely win it all!

Yendil
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
last year i remember ichiro said he wanted to be in the HR derby.. i dont know what happened to that

Ichiro actually turned it down, there were alot of players and coaches that wanted him in it though saying he has a lot of pop in his swing, I've seen him take batting practice and yes surprising as it was to me they were right.

chicagowhitesox
07-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Why no Varitek?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
That is the best comment ever on PSD.
:laugh2::laugh::D

Dirty Dirk41
07-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Uggla
Utley
Berkman
Braun

Hamilton
Sizemore
Manny
A-ROD