PDA

View Full Version : Which Rookie Has It Toughest?

phlp_bj
07-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Each of the top three picks in the 2008 NBA Draft are going to be asked to contribute to his new team immediately, though each in different ways. Derrick Rose is being asked to save the Chicago Bulls, Michael Beasley is supposed to win Rookie of the Year in Miami, and O.J. Mayo is likely the new face of the Memphis Grizzlies' future and franchise.

Any of those situations is stressful for a rookie to endure, but which of these three young men has the most pressure to deal with in 2008-2009?

Probably not Derrick Rose in Chicago for a number of reasons. The Bulls won the first overall pick despite having only the ninth-worst record in the league coming off three previous years of playoff appearances. This already is a team that would've made the playoffs next season even if they didn't pick up a new rookie.

Not only that, but Rose isn't even being asked to step in right away as the team's starting point guard. Kirk Hinrich still is the player being announced last during starting lineups and appearing on a majority of the team's promotional material. Bulls GM John Paxson has said that Rose doesn't necessarily have to start at the beginning of the season. He can work his way into that starter's role slowly, and Hinrich can do what he's always done in the meantime. When Rose is ready, Captain Kirk will likely be dealt, but maybe not before that point.

In short, Rose has the sweetest situation of the top three rookies, and isn't even being asked to contribute big right away.

Beasley, however, will be. The question in Miami is where on the floor that will be. With Shawn Marion and Udonis Haslem pretty solid at the three and four, Beasley will likely start the season scoring his buckets off the bench. If one of those two guys is traded at any point this season (and both guys have been mentioned in trade rumors non-stop over the last year), then Beasley will get his big chance.

The big pressure The Beast is that he's the early favorite for rookie year and already is drawing a lot of comparisons to Carmelo Anthony. That's a lot to live up to. Most pundits called him the biggest talent in the draft—will he be?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9373

Ragun
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Pressure is on Rose more than any of the other rookies. He was the first overall pick and he has to fight for minutes against Hinrich is Hinrich doesnt get traded and the city of Chicago will just put even more pressure on him since the city has high standards for them.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Pressure is on Rose more than any of the other rookies. He was the first overall pick and he has to fight for minutes against Hinrich is Hinrich doesnt get traded and the city of Chicago will just put even more pressure on him since the city has high standards for them.

Pressure on Rose?

You mean more pressure on Beasley!

Beasley has higher expectations than Rose.

Beasley came into this league with so much hype.

All I have to say is he better live up to it!

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I think Rose has the most pressure on him as well. Aside from being the number 1 pick and Kirk Hinrich still being part of the Bulls, he has to prove he could be a leader and solid player for a young Bull team.

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Pressure on Rose?

You mean more pressure on Beasley!

Beasley has higher expectations than Rose.

Beasley came into this league with so much hype.

All I have to say is he better live up to it!

Same thing with OJ Mayo. He has so much hype around him, he could give some away and still have a lot of it.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Same thing with OJ Mayo. He has so much hype around him, he could give some away and still have a lot of it.

Good grief I forgot about him.

You're right.

king4day
07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
I think Mayo, given the tade Memphis made to get him. If he doesn't pan out, it's a setback that could cost Memphis their team (IMO).

MiamiHeat
07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
bayless because he has to prove 10 teams wrong
he said it himself :)

ackar
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Pressure is on the Rose plain and simple. First overall, home town kid, winner at every level a city starved for a superstar that is pressure. And looking up at all those championship banners and and MJ statue outside that a pressure cooker.

Beasley will be himself and has the best support system to me barring any trades caus ehe is the only one with a bonfide superstar and recent championship teammates. He does not have to chance MJs ghost or be savior.

OJ Mayo if he comes in and score like he can and I mean score in buckets he will be fine.

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Rose

DenButsu
07-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Sonny Weems

Ragun
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Sonny Weems

damn how can i forget!

Wade3
07-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Id say Rose since he was takin #1

DenButsu
07-08-2008, 12:31 AM
damn how can i forget!

Yeah, w/out being a smartass, I'd have to say that all three top picks just have an enormous amount of pressure on them... who has the most? Kind of subjective, but they all have truckloads...

dre1990
07-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Mayo they gave up mike miller for him

Sports Illustrator
07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
I recognize that rookies such as Derrick Rose (may have the most pressure of anyone else), Micheal Beasley and OJ Mayo definitely are under tons of pressure.

I also wanted to put Danilo Gallinari's (even though the article doesn't mention him) name out there because this is one of the few moves that Walsh has made so far as a GM, NY fans are expecting the best out of this kid and he needs to prove wrong to all of those who've doubted him. If he doesn't turnout to be a good player, hes going to be extremely hated and his NBA career can certainly go down the tubes.

NYK All the Way
07-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Look at the talent around each of them and tell me who's got it worst. It's OJ Mayo of course. He has to be the face of the franchise while the bulls probably won't start rose right away and the heat obviously have dwade as their franchise player. Don't try and tell me that rudy gay is still Memphis's franchise player, because mayo definitely is.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 01:41 AM
I recognize that rookies such as Derrick Rose (may have the most pressure of anyone else), Micheal Beasley and OJ Mayo definitely are under tons of pressure.

I also wanted to put Danilo Gallinari's (even though the article doesn't mention him) name out there because this is one of the few moves that Walsh has made so far as a GM, NY fans are expecting the best out of this kid and he needs to prove wrong to all of those who've doubted him. If he doesn't turnout to be a good player, hes going to be extremely hated and his NBA career can certainly go down the tubes.

2nd that.

Leftcoast_yg
07-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Danillo Gallinari and mike no D antoni because danillo got booed when he got drafted and mike for suggesting to draft him, they both will get bashed by new york, so he better not slip up or it's byebye