PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 PF's of All-Time

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 04:45 AM
So who is the top 5 PF's of All-Time? I am having trouble with this list on where to put KG....KG did alot for his legacy this year winning an NBA Championship, winning DPOY, and showing up in big games....so where does he belong on this list? Is he better than Malone or Barkley? I think that he still isn't there yet...but it's debatable....number one to me is not debateable....Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all-time....period. Here is my top 5:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. KG
5. McHale

AllTheWay
07-07-2008, 04:47 AM
I can agree with your list

although guys like Mcadoo have to be put into consideration

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 04:49 AM
I agree with the first 3.

KG in front of McHale? That's a hard one.

Try convincing the older crowds (30+) to that opinion.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 04:55 AM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. MChale
5. KG

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 04:55 AM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. MChale
5. KG

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
KG won his title this year but I still think he is not better than Barkley, Malone, and Mchale.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Tim Duncan is the best power forward ever. 4 titles, 2 MVPs, he is a winner and underrated by so many people, he always gets overlooked.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 05:04 AM
KG won his title this year but I still think he is not better than Barkley, Malone, and Mchale.

Malone was a monster.

No way is KG better than Malone.

I think Boozer is following Malone's steps.

I doubt he will succeed his stats, but you can compare them two easily.

ARMIN12NBA
07-07-2008, 05:14 AM
1a. Malone (2-time MVP, interchangeable with Duncan...I just think he was way better on he fastbreak and had just as good post moves as well as outside shot)
1b. Duncan (4-time champion, 2 time MVP, interchangeable with Malone)
3. Barkley (MVP, an amazing rebounder, a great scorer with range, and he did it all with being only 6 feet 4)
4. McHale (3-time champion, a great player and had some amazing post moves and was only getting better if it wasn't for that foot injury and playing so many minutes because of a lack of bench)
5. Bob McAdoo (averaged 35 and 15 in one season, NBA MVP, and 2-time champion)

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Good grief I never knew that Bob McAdoo averaged that.

God damn, he should atleast be an honorable mention!

AllTheWay
07-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Mcadoo was the original KG and Dirk NOwitzki

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 05:23 AM
I agree with the first 3.

KG in front of McHale? That's a hard one.

Try convincing the older crowds (30+) to that opinion.

Well it is a hard one.....I have seen both play nearly equally as much....watching old tapes and such....both guys had spectacular skills....both All-NBA defenders....I can do a little breakdown to see who has the advantage....

Scoring- About even....McHale had the highest peak season at about 26PPG...but KG had more 20PPG seasons....but then again if KG had played with Allen and Pierce every year....might be a different story....KM of course had Bird....who was one of the greatest players ever to play in the NBA....and widely considered the best forward of any kind in history with little debate....and outside of this year KG had Billups before he hit his prime and a scattering of role players....so he had to take on more of the scoring load....we can call this pretty much even....

Rebounding- Statistically KG has this easily....McHale never averaged double digit rebounds...not once....but he also played alongside Parish and Bird....who both above and around double digits most of thier careers....so for arguments sake we can say KG has the rebounding edge.

Defense- Seen em both play....tough one....i'm gonna go with KG though....but it's not a slam dunk....

Winning- McHale easily.

Leadership- KG easily.

I am too lazy to go on any further....but I am gonna go with KG on the slight edge....it's extremely close IMO....but I will say KG had more all-around skills and was more of a leader....

BigEric
07-07-2008, 05:31 AM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. MChale
5. KG

This list is very hard to argue.

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 05:31 AM

Thing about Mcadoo that might hurt him historically is that he was injured alot....was only a 5 time All-Star....and only made 2 All-NBA teams....only had about 5 or 6 healthy 20 and 10 seasons as well....healthy meaning playing 60 or more games....the seasons he did have were ridiculous stat wise and he was a winner no question....but KG has easily had more sustained greatness in his career already putting up more sucessful 20 and 10 seasons with world class defense....

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 05:35 AM
This list is very hard to argue.

I used to argue all the time that Barkley should actually be number 2....but his lack of effort on the defensive end at times really hurts his argument of being better than Malone....even though Barkley called himself the 2nd greatest power forward ever (behind Tim Duncan) earlier this year.....

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 05:37 AM
I used to argue all the time that Barkley should actually be number 2....but his lack of effort on the defensive end at times really hurts his argument of being better than Malone....even though Barkley called himself the 2nd greatest power forward ever (behind Tim Duncan) earlier this year.....

Barkley isn't in front of Malone, let me tell you.

Them two have a rivalry towards each other.

They both don't have the hardware to prove they should rank among the greats.

But then again, you can't label a man's game for not having a ring.

Or maybe you can? Iverson has all the numbers to prove himself, but he doesn't have the rings to be mentioned as one of the greats to play the game.

A lot of people on these forums misjudge the man because he doesnt have that certain thing on his finger. I'm not sure if you can address the same question towards Barkley and Malone... Or can you?

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 05:45 AM
Barkley isn't in front of Malone, let me tell you.

Them two have a rivalry towards each other.

They both don't have the hardware to prove they should rank among the greats.

But then again, you can't label a man's game for not having a ring.

But if you are mentioned with the greats of all time, I have to see something.

Well Barkley put up some great performances in the Finals and Malone....eh not so much....I did rank Malone ahead of Barkley....because of defense....but I must admit I like Barkley a whole lot better than Malone....Barkley is one of my All-Time faves....and I can't stand Malone....but I do appreciate his greatness and work ethic.....the guy adjusted his game to stay relevant over and over again....Barkley couldn't do that as well.....Malone was the Abdul-Jabbar of PF's as far as sustained greatness over a long period of time.....

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Well Barkley put up some great performances in the Finals and Malone....eh not so much....I did rank Malone ahead of Barkley....because of defense....but I must admit I like Barkley a whole lot better than Malone....Barkley is one of my All-Time faves....and I can't stand Malone....but I do appreciate his greatness and work ethic.....the guy adjusted his game to stay relevant over and over again....Barkley couldn't do that as well.....Malone was the Abdul-Jabbar of PF's as far as sustained greatness over a long period of time.....

If there is one thing in common between Barkley and Malone, they both talk an inconsiderable amount of trash lol

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 05:48 AM
It's tough to say who was better Barkley or Malone but i give the edge to Karl because of his accomplishments on the court, Malone has top 3 stats all-time in Scoring and is top 5 in rebounding, hard to argue with that. Malone put up some insane numbers during his career as well. Barkley was a monster but had the misfortune of playing with less talent and his work ethic was always in question, but he was great none the less.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Top point guards all time: Magic, Oscar, Isaiah, Stockton, Cousy, Payton, Kidd and Frazier. Shooting guards: MJ, Kobe, J. West, Gervin, Iverson, Drexler
Centers: Kareem, Shaq, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, M. Malone. Small Forwards: Bird, Worthy, Pippen, R. Barry, Dr. J, Nique, Lebron will definitely be on this list soon.

Chronz
07-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Duncan (I dont think hes that much better than Malone)
Malone (I dont think hes that much better than Barkley)
Barkely (Hes definitely better than McHale)
McHale (Greatest post moves of any forward, greatest 6thman ever)
Hayes (Not the greatest teammate in the world but when he was at the top of his game few were better)

THE_FLASH_21
07-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Malone
Duncan
Barkley
KG
Kemp

THE_FLASH_21
07-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Top point guards all time: Magic, Oscar, Isaiah, Stockton, Cousy, Payton, Kidd and Frazier. Shooting guards: MJ, Kobe, J. West, Gervin, Iverson, Drexler
Centers: Kareem, Shaq, Russell, Wilt, Hakeem, M. Malone. Small Forwards: Bird, Worthy, Pippen, R. Barry, Dr. J, Nique, Lebron will definitely be on this list soon.

John Stockton was the best PG ever!!! Are u crack'd out??

Chronz
07-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Kemp was pretty good in his prime but even then hes not top 10. Kemp has been surpassed by Amare

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Let's distinguish the one's with no rings from the one's with rings.

I just don't see Shawn Kemp in the same sentence as Duncan, KG, McAdoo, and McHale.

Kemp was a monster but I don't think he deserves to be next to the greats who have rings plus the stats with the ring to prove it.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 06:15 AM
John Stockton was the best PG ever!!! Are u crack'd out??

What are you talking about, Magic was the greatest easily! 5 titles, 3 MVPs, finals mvps, greatest point guard to ever play basketball. Watch some old Magic footage, its not close to who was the greatest point guard. The man was clutch, a winner, leader, great passer, could play all 5 positions on the court, Magic's resume speaks for itself.

Lakersfan2483
07-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Magic won his first title at 20 years old!!! He started at the center position and put up 42 pts and grabbed double digit rebs and assists, the man was great!!!!

Mallpha
07-07-2008, 06:32 AM
1. Duncan
2. Barkley
3. Stockton to Malone
4. McHale
5. K.G

DenButsu
07-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Kemp was pretty good in his prime but even then hes not top 10. Kemp has been surpassed by Amare

What a sad story Kemp is. He could have truly been among the all time greats (top 10 or not, he was something special), but instead he ends up filed among the "could have beens".

But man, was he a force in his time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKz8ACUAApQ&feature=related).

JordansBulls
07-07-2008, 07:53 AM
So who is the top 5 PF's of All-Time? I am having trouble with this list on where to put KG....KG did alot for his legacy this year winning an NBA Championship, winning DPOY, and showing up in big games....so where does he belong on this list? Is he better than Malone or Barkley? I think that he still isn't there yet...but it's debatable....number one to me is not debateable....Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all-time....period. Here is my top 5:

1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. KG
5. McHale

Seems about right. Of course 4 and 5 are debateable as is #3.

Knowledge
07-07-2008, 08:33 AM
if c-Webb stays healthy and wins a ring is he on this list?
He put up amazing numbers before he was injured.
i know that is a lot of "ifs".

his best season :
00-01 - 27.1 ppg 11.1 rpg 1.7 bpg 1.3 spg 4.2 apg

MYP numbers but some AI guy won the award.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 08:39 AM

his best season :
00-01 - 27.1 ppg 11.1 rpg 7.1 bpg 1.3 spg 4.2 apg

Some AI guy?

Some AI guy?

I'm sorry if a loosely 6 foot 160 lb (wet wearing boots) guy scored more than precious C-Webb and carried his team on his back to the finals only to lose to the best team for the next 3 years.

Wow, don't even think about discrediting a man who earned what he has.

He earned it, and here you are saying it should go to someone else.

Too bad Webber is washed up like a surfboard. Maybe he'll have another MVP year, huh? :rolleyes:

I like Webber alot, but you just made me hate the guy for 2 minutes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

What are you going to say next, that Kevin Garnett should have won the MVP over Kobe Bryant?

No way.

jmaest
07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Charles Barkley is the greatest PF of all time. At 6'4" he was a better scorer, rebounder, and defender than Duncan or Malone. Barkley could post, shoot from the outside--including 3 point range--and most importantly he could create his own shot. He had the tools and ability of a 2 guard, save for his side. Barkley was ferocious on the boards and his strength allowed him to dominate bigger PF's.

Outside of McHale he was probably the best defensive PF not named Dennis Rodman in the history of the game.

IMO the top five PF's of all time are:

1) Barkley
2) Duncan
3) Reed
4) McHale
5) Malone

I don't have KG in this list as of yet but he is climbing. Malone is one of the most overrated of all time. He is here out of respect for his point totals but as a PF he wasn't a particularly good rebounder or defender. His mid range jump shot was text book and probably the greatest of any 'big man' ever, to be sure, but if not for Stockton he would not be on this list.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Charles Barkley is the greatest PF of all time. At 6'4" he was a better scorer, rebounder, and defender than Duncan or Malone. Barkley could post, shoot from the outside--including 3 point range--and most importantly he could create his own shot. He had the tools and ability of a 2 guard, save for his side. Barkley was ferocious on the boards and his strength allowed him to dominate bigger PF's.

Outside of McHale he was probably the best defensive PF not named Dennis Rodman in the history of the game.

1) Barkley
2) Duncan
3) Reed
4) McHale
5) Malone

I don't have KG in this list as of yet but he is climbing. Malone is one of the most overrated of all time. He is here out of respect for his point totals but as a PF he wasn't a particularly good rebounder or defender. His mid range jump shot was text book and probably the greatest of any 'big man' ever, to be sure, but if not for Stockton he would not be on this list.

That's a good point, but I don't agree with your list.

Barkley shouldn't be in front of Duncan and McHale.

Knowledge
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Some AI guy?

Some AI guy?

I'm sorry if a loosely 6 foot 160 lb (wet wearing boots) guy scored more than precious C-Webb and carried his team on his back to the finals only to lose to the best team for the next 3 years.

Wow, don't even think about discrediting a man who earned what he has.

He earned it, and here you are saying it should go to someone else.

Too bad Webber is washed up like a surfboard. Maybe he'll have another MVP year, huh? :rolleyes:

I like Webber alot, but you just made me hate the guy for 2 minutes. You should be ashamed of yourself.

What are you going to say next, that Kevin Garnett should have won the MVP over Kobe Bryant?

No way.

i dont know about you, but i was being sarcastic. i think i know a little about Allen Iverson since i live in Philly and saw thats season first hand.

My AI knowledge goes far beyond that of a nuggets fan lol.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
i dont know about you, but i was being sarcastic. i think i know a little about Allen Iverson since i live in Philly and saw thats season first hand.

My AI knowledge goes far beyond that of a nuggets fan lol.

Tell me about it... I was the biggest Philly fan...

I still am... That's my fav East coast team... But at the time Allen was there, that was my favorite team... I watched him from his rookie year till now... Since he switched to the Nuggets and combined with the other top 5 best scorer in the game, I had to switch to the Nuggets and root for him and everyone else to get that ring...

I usually don't team hop, but when my favorite player packs up and moves I have to still keep rooting for him... It's not like I hate Philly... I LOVE PHILLY!

Hell my favorite baseball team is the Phillies.

I know we just got off topic of the PF's but I just had to let it be known that I know plenty about #3.

Back to the topic.

Barkley < Duncan.

Duncan's so underrated. He plays so old school and is very quiet. People really underestimate the power of Timmy.

Knowledge
07-07-2008, 09:23 AM

1) Barkley
2) Duncan
3) Reed
4) McHale
5) Malone

i think Stockton and Malone games complimented each other so well that they both benefited from each, not just Malone

AgentViet
07-07-2008, 09:24 AM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. MChale
5. KG

I agree with this.

_Sn1P3r_
07-07-2008, 09:26 AM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. MChale
5. KG

I agree with this list.

Knowledge
07-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Espn had a list about this and i think they had Bob Pettit #5. He is before my time so i cant judge, but i would be interested to see if anyone else knew how good he was.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Espn had a list about this and i think they had Bob Pettit #5. He is before my time so i cant judge, but i would be interested to see if anyone else knew how good he was.

I view players in the 50s to 60s erras to be greats during their times.

70s and higher is where the league had all races playing, and the league's average height was significantly higher than it was in the 50s and 60s.

Not to mention there were less teams in the 50s and 60s, meaning less competition.

I will NEVER discredit what the legends have done, but Yao Ming on Bill Russell?

Let's be logical here.

"WhatIf"
07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Karl Malone
3. Bob Pettit
4. Charles Barkley
5. Kevin Mchale

DreamShaker
07-07-2008, 01:53 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Karl Malone
3. Bob Pettit
4. Charles Barkley
5. Kevin Mchale

Pettit is a guy alot of people leave out because of when he played and who he played for....most people aren't aware that St. Louis ever had a basketball team....the guy was pretty much the first power forward from what i've heard....revolutionized the position....he absolutely deserved to be mentioned in that company....

dre1990
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
1. Duncan
2. KG
3. Malone
4. Barkley
5. Mchale

dre1990
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Pettit is a guy alot of people leave out because of when he played and who he played for....most people aren't aware that St. Louis ever had a basketball team....the guy was pretty much the first power forward from what i've heard....revolutionized the position....he absolutely deserved to be mentioned in that company....

he was more like a Center

primetimekings
07-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Magic won his first title at 20 years old!!! He started at the center position and put up 42 pts and grabbed double digit rebs and assists, the man was great!!!!

Magic was the greatest playmaker of all time but Stockton was the greatest PG of all time.leader in stls and assists all time

Chronz
07-07-2008, 03:56 PM

his best season :
00-01 - 27.1 ppg 11.1 rpg 1.7 bpg 1.3 spg 4.2 apg

Doubtfull, if KG of all people is a borderline top 5 then C-Webb isnt close, thats not to say hes not top 10 and in his prime every bit the player KG was but career accomplishments dont match KG's. And yes AI stole that MVP award but he didnt take it from C-Webb.

chicagowhitesox
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
1- Timmaaaaaaaaaay
2- The Mailman
3- Sir Charles
4- McHale
5- McAdoo

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
what?

PRETTY BIRD
07-07-2008, 06:16 PM
1.the mailer
2.jackeer hamilton
3.shawn shuler
4steven raymond
5.duncan
6.charlie

sanfranfan1210
07-07-2008, 11:35 PM
1. Duncan
2. Malone
3. Barkley
4. Mchale
5. KG

chad311k9
07-08-2008, 05:14 AM
i'm well aware of duncan's accomplishments, and malone's/barkley's lack there of, but i got to put malone/barkley at the top of the all time PF list

freedas
07-08-2008, 05:34 AM

dr j should swap spots with pippen. swap tith payton I would put Lebron at 3 for now, next 2-3 years #1 of course, but have no problems with the rest.

THE_FLASH_21
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
What are you talking about, Magic was the greatest easily! 5 titles, 3 MVPs, finals mvps, greatest point guard to ever play basketball. Watch some old Magic footage, its not close to who was the greatest point guard. The man was clutch, a winner, leader, great passer, could play all 5 positions on the court, Magic's resume speaks for itself.

U just awnsered my question..... He wasn't a pure PG.. What PG is 6'10??? John Stockton is all that.. A winner, a leader, great passer... Magic always had a better team then JStock..

nwknet
07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
IMO, Barkley is the #1 PF, none of these guys did more with less. Remember he banged with those guys giving away at least 5 inches. Also he went toe to toe with MJ in the finals averaging damn near 40 in the finals.

chad311k9
07-09-2008, 06:02 AM
barkley has one of the highest career FG% AND he could rebound. still can't decide between Malone or Barkley, but they are definately top 2.

Pran Raznor
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Malone was a beast he had a killer instinct. That's what puts him ahead of Duncan.

bagwell368
07-10-2008, 12:38 AM

No Way. McAdoo was all about shooting, his stats, and himself. To compare him to KG is an awful misunderstanding. McAdoo played for 7 teams across 14 years. He was pretty tough to stop his first 4 years (ROY, 3 scoring titles), and he played a bit of D. After his 5th year he never broke 9 RPG again. His FG% started to sag below 50% the second half of his career.

In that era, a player does not play for 7 teams unless something is seriously wrong with the player.

Cowens would dominate and humiliate McAdoo away from the basket, so that by the end of the game McAdoo would have totally given up the paint, and be trying to flick off 20 foot shots to avoid Cowens.

When then owner of the Celts John Y. Brown dealt away 3 picks for McAdoo (because his wife liked him), Red almost quit (the famous cab driver had to save him from going to NY by pointing out what happened to Don Chaney and other Celts that had left Boston).

He did later find redemption with the Lakers, but he's probably one of the 15 most overrated players of all time. Ugh. No way does he belong.

Doesn't "P" stand for power, there was nothing powerful about McAdoo or his game.

LuCCi
07-10-2008, 12:52 AM
k.g. is easily number one he rebounds and passes and scores and oscar aint no 4 so he def number 1

BigSteve
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
KG in the top 5. Seriously guys? He is a nice player who will be in the top 10 at the position when he retires. Most people would not have had him top 5 until he won a championship this year. KG is not a leader. Just because he is vocal, does not mean when the game is on the line he wants the ball. Duncan, Malone, Barkley, Mcadoo and McHale were all better. Hell, I would consider taking Bernard King over him. At least he was clutch.

Iodine
07-10-2008, 01:26 AM
He was ****ing awesome the greatest hawk ever

1. Timmah
2. Malone
3. CB34
4. McHale
5. Pettit

LuCCi
07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
barkley doesnt got a title

THE_FLASH_21
07-11-2008, 05:33 PM
either does My Malone!

Kings Faithful
07-11-2008, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't judge by titles. Thats like saying Lebron isn't as good as Brent Barry because Barry has like 3 titles or something like that and Lebron has 0......The number of titles a person has usually depends on your team, and you cant judge a player by the rest of his team.

69centers
07-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Barkley vs. Duncan (and please don't bring up rings)

FT%
Barkley 54%>50%

3PFG%
Barkley 26%>19%

FT%
Barkley 74%>68%

RPG
Duncan but it's pretty much a wash (11.8 and 11.7)

APG
Barkley 3.9>3.1

Steals PG
Barkley 1.54>.8

Blocks PG
Duncan 2.4>.8

PPG
Barkley 22.1>21.6

Let's also factor in that Barkley has 5 more years under his belt than Tim. Since you always decline in all categories in your final few years, I expect all these categories will be in Barkley's favor except Blocks, and a lot of them by a good margin.

As you can see, Duncan's only significant edge is in Blocks, as he should considering he has 5 inches on Barkley.

69centers
07-11-2008, 07:34 PM
My list:

1. Barkley
2. Malone
3. Duncan
4. Mchale
5. KG

I still consider guys like Malone and Barkley the "true" power forward guys, with real power forward builds. The KG's and the Duncan PF's of today, are players who should be centers, but chose not to be. Add Dirk to that list. IMO, anyone 6'11" and over should be a center, and not a power forward. There will always be exceptions, like Magic playing PG at 6'9" and Dave Cowens playing Center at 6'9", but to me PF's will always be guys like Malone and Barkley, and the new breed like KG and Duncan are more Center/PF's.

Lakersfan2483
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Duncan
Malone
Barkley
KG
Mchale