PDA

View Full Version : Soriano won't play in ASG

Jack_Bauer
07-07-2008, 02:20 AM
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that Alfonso Soriano won't be able to play in the All-Star game.
Soriano will fly to New York to take part in the festivities, but won't play in the game. It's unclear if he plans on going on a rehab assignment, but he expects to be ready to rejoin the Cubs on July 18 for the start of the second half.

source Sun times and Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/home_MLB.aspx)

captainatheism
07-07-2008, 02:21 AM
Ken Griffey?

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 02:22 AM
As good of a bit of news as this is, it surprises me more than a bit. He seemed really intent on playing.

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Ken Griffey?

It'd be Hurtle's call, and home field advantage in this year's World Series is more or less meaningless to him and his team - so seeing Jr. start in the NL OF wouldn't surprise me one bit.

captainatheism
07-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Hahahaaha. The first three paragraphs say a lot about Soriano.

"well, i wanna go to New York, but I wanna go to my house. I can't decide which to do."

"why don't you do both?"

"YOU GENIUS!"

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 02:24 AM
im more then fine with this

not enuff time to adjust on your swing and no need to jump in a game full of allstar pitching if your not ready

in all honesty i like this move

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 02:41 AM
im more then fine with this

not enuff time to adjust on your swing and no need to jump in a game full of allstar pitching if your not ready

in all honesty i like this move

True, although - if he were to play in the ASG it'd be kind of like throwing him right into the fire, but without the chance of being burned. He can go 0-3 with 3 K's but it's not costing our team anything, save maybe home field in the WS - and it'd be against the best pitching available.

Idk, still kinda happy he's not playing.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 02:48 AM
True, although - if he were to play in the ASG it'd be kind of like throwing him right into the fire, but without the chance of being burned. He can go 0-3 with 3 K's but it's not costing our team anything, save maybe home field in the WS - and it'd be against the best pitching available.

Idk, still kinda happy he's not playing.

the way i see it his unsure at bats will now go to burell/lee/rowand/hart how ever the final voting goes or if wright wins then the reserve most likely will get more at bats

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Good.

I don't want him hurting himself by playing in such a meaningless game anyway.

giventofly
07-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Good.

Sadly, the All-Star Game is no longer meaningless.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Good.

UPDATE: it is not a meaningless game

winner gets home field in WS

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Sadly, the All-Star Game is no longer meaningless.
They still let fans vote...so it's still meaningless.

The homefield advantage rule is the dumbest thing ever.

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 03:00 AM
UPDATE: it is not a meaningless game

winner gets home field in WS
Yes, I know that.

But they allow fans to vote, which most of the time the best players aren't even starting (like this year) and some aren't even there. So it kinda defeats the purpose of playing for homefield if you aren't even sending the best representatives.

Seems kinda meaningless to me.

They should just do away with the homefield rule or go about a different way of selecting the players.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 03:01 AM

i agree but the fact of the matter is it counts

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 03:03 AM
i agree but the fact of the matter is it counts
Eh, whatever...you don't really get my point anyway.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Yes, I know that.

But they allow fans to vote, which most of the time the best players aren't even starting (like this year) and some aren't even there. So it kinda defeats the purpose of playing for homefield if you aren't even sending the best representatives.

Seems kinda meaningless to me.while i agree it dont matter what me or you thinks

what matters is by him not playing puts someone else more ready to play and gives us a better chance to win

hate to say it but this game is imporatant to win

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 03:06 AM
Eh, whatever...you don't really get my point anyway.

i get your point but guess what ? your point dont matter and it isnt gonna give us (NL) the best chance to win

giventofly
07-07-2008, 03:09 AM

Yeah, it really pisses me off.

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 03:11 AM
i get your point but guess what ? your point dont matter and it isnt gonna give us (NL) the best chance to win
Eh, the best team should win regardless.

It's ridiculous to determine homefield advantage by a stupid game like this. I'm just a little cranky on the subject.

If they're going to make it like this then the least they can do is send the best players and especially the best starters. The NL OF is a joke this year.

BUD Bleachers
07-07-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm glad Soriano isn't playing.

Hell, he commented more about playing in the damn All-Star game than coming back to play for the Cubs.

Granted, that's what the papers seemed to report.

Let him go on a rehab stint to get some timing back so that the Cubs can be at full strength after the break.

I love the glitz of the All-Star game, but I don't like the home field rule either.

I do, however, feel the NL is going to steal one this year.