PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not the end of the Jagr Era

messleetch94
07-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I was looking into Cherepanov's contract with Omsk and it stated that if he wanted to, under Russian labor laws, all he has to do is give Omsk a two weeks notice as far as leaving the team, even if under contract. Malkin did it. Same would apply to Jagr. something to think about.

Sandman
07-07-2008, 01:13 AM
There's no more money left.

And I think we sent a pretty clear message to the future of this ball club by changing all of the As and Cs on the ice this season, and getting rid of the rest of the strong Czech influence on the team.

yanks024
07-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I was looking into Cherepanov's contract with Omsk and it stated that if he wanted to, under Russian labor laws, all he has to do is give Omsk a two weeks notice as far as leaving the team, even if under contract. Malkin did it. Same would apply to Jagr. something to think about.

It was stated in jagr's contract that he has a two year deal with a 3rd option but during those two years theres a clause that says he cant leave. I beleive his nhl days are over since in two years he wants to return home to play for his dad.

messleetch94
07-07-2008, 12:27 PM
I didn't know about the "no out clause". Good observation. As far as I know, Cherepanov was to play one more year in Russia after the 2007 entry draft. So wouldn't he be coming here this year?

yanks024
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
I didn't know about the "no out clause". Good observation. As far as I know, Cherepanov was to play one more year in Russia after the 2007 entry draft. So wouldn't he be coming here this year?

He said he would come over this year but omsk wouldnt let him and he is content with fulfilling his contract which is a good sign that he may be loyal to his contracts. he prob most likely be here next year unless he really wants out of russia and a deal is made...

Desert Plains
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM

I don't think you have those rules correct about Cherepanov getting out of his contract that easily. That goes against what I've heard in an interview with one of the NHL execs:
- Players on Russian teams have to complete their contracts before signing with an NHL team.
- Though a player can buy his way out of his contract.
- An NHL team cannot buy the player out of his contract in Russia - but can "reimburse" the player as a bonus within the NHL contract - which will then apply toward the teams Salary Cap (making it difficult for teams to go this route).

My guess on Malkin is that he had an "out" in his contract. So, if he was able to break it, I assume that was the reason.

As for Cherepanov, one of the main reasons he slid in the draft last year was because of his contract and the fact that he was locked into playing in Russia last year and this coming year.

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so.

messleetch94
07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
The start of Malkin's NHL career was not without controversy, as a transfer dispute between the NHL and the IIHF delayed his Pittsburgh debut.

On August 7, 2006, it appeared that the 20-year-old Malkin had come to a compromise with Metallurg and signed a deal that would have kept him in Russia until May 2007. However, Malkin stated that he signed the one-year contract not as a compromise but because of the immense "psychological pressure" his former club exerted on him.[citation needed] Desiring to play in the NHL, he left Metallurg Magnitogorsk's training camp in Helsinki, Finland, before it had started on August 12. It would later appear that the team had taken Malkin's passport away to prevent him from leaving, but it was eventually given back to him and Malkin was allowed to pass through Finnish customs. Meeting with his agent, J.P. Barry, the two quickly departed and waited for Malkin's visa clearance from the US Embassy.

In order to legally leave the team, on August 15, Malkin invoked, by fax, a provision of Russian labor law that allowed him to cancel his one-year contract by giving his employer two weeks notice.[4] Having untied himself of obligations in Russia, he was able to sign an entry-level contract with the Penguins on September 5, 2006.[5]

Following his first NHL game with Pittsburgh, on October 19, 2006, Malkin's former Russian hockey club filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL and the Penguins in the United States District Court for the southern district of New York.[6] The lawsuit claimed that Malkin should not be permitted to play in the NHL because he is still under contract in Russia. The claim also sought unspecified monetary damages. The motion for an injunction was, however, denied on November 15, 2006, ensuring that Malkin would continue play in the NHL that season.[7] The lawsuit was furthermore dismissed by the District Court on February 1, 2007.[8]

This is what I was refering too as far as what Cherepanov might be able to do. Maybe they started the "no out" clause with Jagr, considering what Malkin was able to do