PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Looking At SF Giants' Fred Lewis

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 01:08 AM
I feel somewhat divided posting this, because the link is on an ESPN insider page.

This might sound moronic, but I am not an ESPN insider.

So if anyone is, and would like to post the actual link - that'd be great.

But at any rate, Fred Lewis.....thoughts?

Jilly Bohnson
07-07-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm not an insider, but why would the Giants give him up? They have very little in terms of quality major league position players, and why would they give up Lewis, who appears to be pretty good, and is going to be cheap for the next several years.

And from our standpoint, he seems like a nice player, but where would he play and I don't think he's good enough to warrant paying the price he'd command.

jiggin
07-07-2008, 01:21 AM
For those that don't know...Lewis is a OF that can play all 3 positions and bats left (throws right). he has only been in the MLB for 3 years and is sporting a .823 OPS this year along with a .462 SLG .361 OBP and .284 AVG

WOwolfOL
07-07-2008, 01:25 AM
He'd play center, from 2009 and beyond. And be a valuable player down the stretch of 08. I really like this kid. He's got great wheels with very good OPS potential. I like wheels when they come with a good amount of walks.

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:29 AM
No offense, but i hope this wouldnt be considered as one of our big moves

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:31 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........bye bye pie, if we get him....pie is gone for sure, probably for a pitcher

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm.........bye bye pie, if we get him....pie is gone for sure, probably for a pitcher

hmmmmmmmm.....for maybe Harden or Burnett???

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
hmmmmmmmm.....for maybe Harden or Burnett???

wouldnt be suprised.....3 way trade probably

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:35 AM
wouldnt be suprised.....3 way trade probably

i know this might be a pain in the *** question, but which other team (besides either OAK or TOR) would be involved in your opinion?

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:39 AM
i know this might be a pain in the *** question, but which other team (besides either OAK or TOR) would be involved in your opinion?

no one.......this would be strictly for burnett or harden if were giving up pie

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
no one.......this would be strictly for burnett or harden if were giving up pie

Oh ok...i got confused because you said "maybe a 3 way deal perhaps"

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Oh ok...i got confused because you said "maybe a 3 way deal perhaps"

giants-cubs-jays/a's

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:42 AM
giants-cubs-jays/a's

Ahhhh...i see what you mean...like we could get Lewis from SF and either Harden or Burnett...

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Ahhhh...i see what you mean...like we could get Lewis from SF and either Harden or Burnett...

you are correct....i really want to see this link tho, im having a hard time believing it

CubsRule08
07-07-2008, 01:45 AM
you are correct....i really want to see this link tho, im having a hard time believing it

I agree...i want to see if this is a rumor with some actual truth to it

Snydesdale
07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I would love Lewis off the bench for the rest of this year and possibly the future CF kinds older though I think.

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 01:52 AM
i saw on the rumors page on espn insider that it said "Cubs Looking at SF Giant's Fred Lewis"

that was June 26th tho....suprised no1 brought this up.......if any1 has insider, share the love

dbrown1225
07-07-2008, 02:15 AM
i'm very suspicious.

too many people on this board think the other 29 teams exist only to make the cubs better.

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 02:20 AM
i'm very suspicious.

too many people on this board think the other 29 teams exist only to make the cubs better.

Agreed.

But I didn't just make it up, and I've been here long enough to the point where I should have atleast some credibility. Anyway, I refuse to pay ESPN any amount of money for anything - so no "insider" info for me. But I'm sure someone will provide by morning.

homestarunner93
07-07-2008, 02:27 AM
...Except Fred Lewis' glove work has been less than spectacular, especially in the last week. Dropped one that Rowand saved him on and dropped another easy one.

CubsFanBudMan74
07-07-2008, 02:43 AM
shouldnt we be lookin at another bonafide starter?

we dont need this guy

turnaround3
07-07-2008, 02:45 AM
shouldnt we be lookin at another bonafide starter?

we dont need this guy

We are. And technically, we don't need anybody. The team's #1 desire is acquiring a starter who isn't a Marquis-clone, but the addition of a guy like Lewis certainly would not hurt.

I'm not sure what would become of Edmonds/RJ though, because you know the corners aren't budging.

DamnGoat
07-07-2008, 02:50 AM
Seems to be a pretty good player.

I don't know much about him honestly, but judging by his numbers he wouldn't be a bad pickup in the short-term and for the next few years if he can play CF everyday.

He has a pretty solid BB rate and only 5 players in the NL have a higher P/PA average (Fukudome, Dunn, Castillo, Helton, Upton). He's right up there in XBH too, he'd be 4th on this team behind Lee, Soto and Ramirez.

1908_Cubs
07-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Why would we want Lewis?

We have a fairly set OF now. Why waste prospects on one of the few decent, young players the Giants have (who will want more than he's worth, for that very reason)?

BUD Bleachers
07-07-2008, 03:22 AM

I don't see how we're going to get Harden.

In watching the A's, they're really not a good team, yet they are still hanging around in the AL West/AL, which to me, really defines the lack of strength in the AL this season.

Anyway, that's not my point.

My point is, Oakland's pitching is the one solid thing they have. So, being only 6 games out of first in the division, and 3.5 out of the WC, they can't really afford to give up Harden at this point. It would be like throwing in the towel, much like what Clevland did with Sebathia.

Sure, they could use some more pop in that line up, but at the risk of losing a solid starter like Harden? Let's just say, stranger things have happened, but I'd be very surprised if he gets traded.

I think Burnett is more of a possibility.

Cubbie_since89
07-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Why would we want Lewis?

We have a fairly set OF now. Why waste prospects on one of the few decent, young players the Giants have (who will want more than he's worth, for that very reason)?

Its for the future. If they can get him for a steal pull the string.

CubbieSteve
07-07-2008, 03:26 AM
We don't need Lewis now. I'd love to have him, he's a talented player with a little pop, good speed, a lot of upside. But for this season, Johnson/Edmonds seems to be fitting the bill in CF. In the offseason, however, I would not be surprised to hear Lewis's name being tossed around. Edmonds in running out of productive seasons, he's 38. Johnson may not be in our futuristic plans, maybe as a bench player. I could definetly see JH swinging a deal for him in the winter. But as of now, don't need him. What we need, is a starter.

CubbieSteve
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM

Really doubt we'll be stealing him from the Giants. Really, I don't know why they would get rid of him honestly. If they were wanting to get rid of someone it would be Randy Winn. Seems like they'd want to keep their young guys for the future. But if he is available, there will be no stealing.

1908_Cubs
07-07-2008, 04:18 AM

Felix Pie.

End of story.

If we're going to let a young player get 20 ab's before we swap him out and stash him in AAA, might as well let it be Pie, instead of trading for a player.

jiggin
07-07-2008, 04:34 AM
We are. And technically, we don't need anybody. The team's #1 desire is acquiring a starter who isn't a Marquis-clone, but the addition of a guy like Lewis certainly would not hurt.

I'm not sure what would become of Edmonds/RJ though, because you know the corners aren't budging.

he can play all 3 positions. it remains to be seen if he could play them well enough in wrigley. we will get a taste of it before the all-star break though, since the Giants are heading into town for a 4 game set in a couple days. Maybe the Cubs became interested while watching him play in San Fran last week. If they think he is going to be an upgrade over a eric patterson, but more versatile (plays all 3 OF positions) than a murton and hits as a lefty, it would be an attempt at upgrading a backup off the bench. He could spell soriano or fukudome to give them a day off and could be a backup for johnson or edmonds since they have both had some injury issues lately (edmonds seems to nurse them alot). Looking at his 08 splits, he isn't to shabby against RHP with a .890 OPS (250 AB), but completely blows, .485 OPS against LHP (only 49 AB). He seems to fit a platoon situation. Maybe the Cubs are worried about Edmonds handling all of the platoon's against RHP, maybe they aren't "sold" on him.

I think he is a good bench upgrade but not necessary. I can't imagine his low paycheck being something the Giants would just let go for next to nothing. My only other thought is that it could be a deal to protect the cubs because of other players involved in trade ideas. If Murton becomes more valuable at the deadline, possibly in a package deal to get a more expensive trade, a guy like Lewis could help to replace Murton and add more versatility to the bench for OF coverage. He is also young to the MLB and could be a cheap some what efficient alternative to Pie if he were to be shipped off.

Or...this could all be made up or complete off the wall speculation or opinion by the 'insider' writer. And since we are all to cheap to fork over a dime to ESPN, we won't know...at least not right now. The more truth it holds, the more and quicker we will hear about it in the media.

Your Name Here
07-07-2008, 06:18 AM
I don't want Fred Lewis.

We've already got like 12 OF's as it is, and Pie is a better bet for the future.

cubsbears1225
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Thats a big no to Fred Lewis....who the **** is Fred Lewis???

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 09:02 AM
can someone who has insider please post this link

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it was last year, but he hit for the cycle in like his second game or something, i like this possibility of getting him, and then getting a good pitcher.

chicagofan71
07-07-2008, 09:59 AM
According to the league's official website, the Chicago Cubs have been scouting San Francisco Giants outfielder Fred Lewis.

It should be noted that Chicago's interest at this point is not believed to be all that serious.

tHis was already posted in the Cubs trade ideas and discussion thread, and it was from June 26th

NORTH10
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
how do u not want fred lewis? hed be out future pretty much and I think he will be better than pie....i really like lewis, hes got a great swing...like really good. he also has quite a bit of speed and some pop with his bat.

SpudsRutkowski
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't really see why we wouldn't want Lewis if we could get him relatively cheap. Posting .295 .366 .484 .850 as a leadoff hitter gives you great speed 16 sb and posts his best numbers with two outs and runners in scoring position .286 .429 .500 .929. At 27 he's an answer for the future.

Theriot2
07-07-2008, 09:32 PM
eh...wouldn't be the best trade in the world, but it sure wouldn't be the worst

IamTurboman
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
As a Giants fan it is news to me that Fred Lewis is on the trade block. If you want Aurilla, Winn, Durham or Castillo then you probaby get them for a AA backup and a bucket of balls.

hoosiercubsfan
07-07-2008, 11:03 PM
As a Giants fan it is news to me that Fred Lewis is on the trade block. If you want Aurilla, Winn, Durham or Castillo then you probaby get them for a AA backup and a bucket of balls.

Didn't you know we are the Cubs and everyone's players are ours for the asking. :rolleyes:

Tmac416
07-07-2008, 11:16 PM
right is that why its been over 100 years? lol jk. but fred lewis is not going anywhere. he is one of 3 guys proably on our team that we can count on consistantly to produce and he is only getting better. he was a football player for most of his life. but besides a little bulrb that scouts fomr teh cubs watched lewis, there is nothing to this rumor at all and it hasnt gained any steam other than some people trying to read way to much into it. freddy aint going no where

CubbieSteve
07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
he was a football player for most of his life.

And this is relevant why?

I agree with you, the Giants will not trade Lewis right away. If they trade him, it won't be cheaply. He's got a lot of upside.

Cullksinikers
07-08-2008, 12:50 AM
He did pretty good this last series I was at......

Snydesdale
07-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I would take winn for a backup AA and a bucket of balls let's work a deal call up seabean.