PDA

View Full Version : Free agent PG Shaun Livingston

FreedomReigns
07-07-2008, 12:31 AM
What would you guys think if they brought Livingston in for a workout? I was reading a brief article (I'll post the link) in which they claim he was "medically cleared for basketball-related activities".

Would be a solid addition if he could hold up. Here's the link.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-spw-clippers16-2008jun16,0,2121409.story

He wasn't offered a contract extension making him unrestricted.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep1-2008jul01,0,1355773.story

stawka
07-07-2008, 12:32 AM
He's a good player an an unselfish one. I'd love for him to come to the Suns but not at the price he probably wants

STAT32
07-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Again, too pricey.

FreedomReigns
07-07-2008, 06:20 AM
^^^^^ Buzz Kill ^^^^^

dodie53
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
2mil maybe?

theimortalone
07-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Livingston would be a good player when Nash comes out for his rest! If he is healthy he would be a good pickup. Would he take the MLE tho?

king4day
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Livingston would be a good player when Nash comes out for his rest! If he is healthy he would be a good pickup. Would he take the MLE tho?

He won't be able to demand more than the minimum. If he wants the MLE then he won't be in the league next year.
The guy has to prove to everyone he can still play.
The team that signs him will give him the minimum for a season to prove himself. Then he'll get whatever he's worth.

stawka
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
So what are we waiting for? Lets bring him on

FreedomReigns
07-07-2008, 09:54 AM
He won't be able to demand more than the minimum. If he wants the MLE then he won't be in the league next year.
The guy has to prove to everyone he can still play.
The team that signs him will give him the minimum for a season to prove himself. Then he'll get whatever he's worth.

I was thinking the same thing. So again, my question was do you folks think he is worth a look at? The article says he's dunking which is a sign that he is confident about his game and more important, his leg. We all know how much upside he had before the injury. Hopefully the Suns are at least contacting his agent. The Suns medical staff is top notch and shouldn't be blindsided by him, his doctors or his agent.

nashty13
07-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't mind, but he would be a semi project player since he's going to be fairly rusty. Unfortunately we're buying out the contract of our future project PG and I feel that it could wind up being a waste of money. And if I remember correctly he's a terrible jump shooter.

STAT32
07-07-2008, 11:58 AM
The guy is a huge risk. He had one of the most horrific knee injuries i've ever seen in my life. If, and this is a big if, he can play anywhere close to the level he was at 2 years ago then I might give him a look.

I don't know it just seems like if he was willing to play for the minimum everywhere why would he come to Phoenix? Someone will offer him more money than we can.

king4day
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Even if Lue signs with the Suns, they might not be done shopping for a point guard if rookie Goran Dragic doesn't reach the NBA next season. One player of interest is former Clipper Shaun Livingston, on the comeback trail after missing the last 17 months following a horrific left knee injury.

One of the league's bright up-and-coming point guards, Livingston crumpled on a drive to the basket, and he injured nearly every part of his left knee (torn anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and lateral meniscus, a sprained medial cruciate ligament and a dislocated patella tendon).

Livingston hasn't played since. Still only 22, he was cleared to resume basketball activities just last month. But he wasn't able to show his progress in the Vegas Summer League and hasn't worked out for teams.

The Suns also have D.J. Strawberry, who is gaining confidence at the point guard spot and looked good in a 22-point Summer League effort against the Houston Rockets on Monday.

"He showed much more leadership and a firm grasp of what we were trying to accomplish offensively," Suns vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said. "From a point guard perspective, he's made some real strides in the offseason."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120908

Nice to see an offical rumor that we're interested.

king4day
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
The guy is a huge risk. He had one of the most horrific knee injuries i've ever seen in my life. If, and this is a big if, he can play anywhere close to the level he was at 2 years ago then I might give him a look.

I don't know it just seems like if he was willing to play for the minimum everywhere why would he come to Phoenix? Someone will offer him more money than we can.

The first year is his proving year. If he has an excellent season, even then, he will still not get more than maybe a 2 year deal for 2-4 mil a year.
After that, the sky is the limit depending on how he performs.

sunsalltheway03
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree with STAT32. It is a huge risk and it does kind of worry me. But, the same can be said about Grant Hill, but he seems to be *knock on wood* doing very well *knock on wood*. So, who knows, but I mean, I don't think the Suns would give him a chance unless they were confident that he could still play. You just have to worry about how easy it might be for him to do it again, or how it might affect him once he gets back on an NBA court.

STAT32
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Even if we do sign him and he has a great year, i'd be very hesitant to give the guy any more than a 3 year deal.

Rome
07-19-2008, 06:49 PM
I say why not. He adds size at the position, good playmaker. Sometimes risks payoff greatly. Lol we need somebody. The wait is killing me.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Rome just know that if we do sign Livingston he won't be able to play for us until the season after next.

Rome
07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Yea but he would still be fairly young
. I always liked him as a player and would hate for his career to end so soon. Lol but yea I wasn't thinking about that.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Livingston would be an excellent option as our PG of the future but fro right now we need to get a backup pg.

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Rome just know that if we do sign Livingston he won't be able to play for us until the season after next.

Just curious but where do you get your info from?

STAT32
07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Livingston himself admitted he won't be able to play this season. I just read articles and google news things.

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Livingston himself admitted he won't be able to play this season. I just read articles and google news things.

Well if it is true then there goes that idea. The search has now been narrowed again.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I still think we sign Livingston as our pg of the future but we sign a solid vet for this season.

Rome
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Yea but who we really looking at? Like a real chance of signing. Lol I mean I thought lue was a sure thing.

STAT32
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Sam Cassel, Mighty Mouse and I dunno who else.

Rome
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Dam. I don't like them as back ups for us for some reason, I mean if we do sign one of them then and they play good I'm all for it, but I'm just not sure.