PDA

View Full Version : Corey Maggette... might as well rule him out

val_modus
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Here is the scenario with LA Clippers free agent Forward Corey Maggette, right now he has shown interest in the San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics who both are reportedly in negotiations with him, now here in the corner are the Houston Rockets, well when we come in the picture he really has to weigh his options because these are 3 championship caliber teams, but does Corey really want to win a ring at his age or play a season or two on a team that can boist his stats and earn him a fat contract in coming years? Put aside all the speculations and look at it from the standpoint of a basketball player, would you rather go to Houston or San Antonio? Well with the Spurs he would almost be guaranteed a starting spot with Bowens age not slowing down and Ginobili as the 6th man and in Houston would he be a 35 minute per game 20 points per game guy with McGrady and Battier at that position, now unless there is something in the works involving Battier i dont think he would consider us over the other 2 teams previously mentioned so right now i think we should focus on the available guys for us, like say James Posey? Brent Barry's shot could always be used, hmmm didnt we have a guy like that in Luther Head says everyone, and yes an undersized guard who shoots 07% in a playoff series is something Barry is not so he would be a HUGE upgrade, and then theres Posey who people say is basically a copy of Battier, but no, he is a much more consistent offensive player and makes big plays when needed, just look at the two previous finals he won with Boston and Miami i remember seeing him make huge plays whether it be in the middle of a game to extend a run or late game heroics on both sides of the ball, now dont get me wrong i would love to see a guy like Artest or Maggette come here, but face it the chances of that happening are slim just like how we havent aquired that 3rd star in the past 4 years, theres a reason for it, its not just that the gm is a stubborn guy thinking the team infront of him is where it needs to be even though it hasnt passed the first round in around a decade, Morey has done well in his first year and all we can do is cross our fingers and trust in his decision making and hope for a healthy T-Mac and Yao next year with the proggresion of our young talents and another year under Adlemans belt and all will be well.... I BELIEVE!

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 11:22 PM
I didn't read all of that, but I still would want Maggette on the team! Screw the Spurs and Celts.

:D

Ballah0liC1
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Here is the scenario with LA Clippers free agent Forward Corey Maggette, right now he has shown interest in the San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics who both are reportedly in negotiations with him, now here in the corner are the Houston Rockets, well when we come in the picture he really has to weigh his options because these are 3 championship caliber teams, but does Corey really want to win a ring at his age or play a season or two on a team that can boist his stats and earn him a fat contract in coming years? Put aside all the speculations and look at it from the standpoint of a basketball player, would you rather go to Houston or San Antonio? Well with the Spurs he would almost be guaranteed a starting spot with Bowens age not slowing down and Ginobili as the 6th man and in Houston would he be a 35 minute per game 20 points per game guy with McGrady and Battier at that position, now unless there is something in the works involving Battier i dont think he would consider us over the other 2 teams previously mentioned so right now i think we should focus on the available guys for us, like say James Posey? Brent Barry's shot could always be used, hmmm didnt we have a guy like that in Luther Head says everyone, and yes an undersized guard who shoots 07% in a playoff series is something Barry is not so he would be a HUGE upgrade, and then theres Posey who people say is basically a copy of Battier, but no, he is a much more consistent offensive player and makes big plays when needed, just look at the two previous finals he won with Boston and Miami i remember seeing him make huge plays whether it be in the middle of a game to extend a run or late game heroics on both sides of the ball, now dont get me wrong i would love to see a guy like Artest or Maggette come here, but face it the chances of that happening are slim just like how we havent aquired that 3rd star in the past 4 years, theres a reason for it, its not just that the gm is a stubborn guy thinking the team infront of him is where it needs to be even though it hasnt passed the first round in around a decade, Morey has done well in his first year and all we can do is cross our fingers and trust in his decision making and hope for a healthy T-Mac and Yao next year with the proggresion of our young talents and another year under Adlemans belt and all will be well.... I BELIEVE!

love that sentence

TMAC94
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
he'd be third option here. on celtics he'd come off bench and on the spurs be option behind parker, manu and duncan

FOBolous
07-06-2008, 11:36 PM
we never had a chance for him...none...zip...zero...not even a miracle could've gotten him to Houston...all of it was wishful thinking. I don't know why yall were talking about getting him like we actually had a shot...and the same goes for most of the other players that was brought up in the forum.

mightybosstone
07-07-2008, 01:25 AM
I don't think he's a realistic possibility, simply because we have Battier and I can't see a scenario where both could coexist, unless Battier came off the bench. Artest would be a better option, because he can score AND play defense and (chances are), we'd have to trade Battier to get him in the first place.

But I agree with all of that (I actually read the whole thing) and I think that Posey and Barry coming off the bench immediately upgrades this team experience-wise to a level they haven't been at in over a decade.

TMAC94
07-07-2008, 06:26 AM
hoops world says he'll take the MLE too play for a contender? anyone sniff a chance?

Manos
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
hoops world says he'll take the MLE too play for a contender? anyone sniff a chance?

It's possible, unlikely, but you never know...

val_modus
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM

very true, but look at it as if u were in his shoes, like i said would you take the team who just had previous championship success and open spot for you to play big minutes or a injury prone team with little need at your position where it is possible you would be coming off the bench. Maggette has been on the wrong side of the win loss column for most of his career and people doubt his will to win, so he will most likely take a short term contract where he would be getting minutes and shots on a team thats in position to make another run at the ship, now if he came to houston he would be getting the 2nd part of that deal for sure IF we are healthy, u think he doesnt put the fact that YAo And McGrady could go out at any minute into consideration? Well if i was him San Antonio and Boston are clear favorites over him, dont get me wrong i would LOVE for this guy on our team, but im done hoping, we have to look at reality and get guys like Posey or Barry who can upgrade the spots on our bench where we dont have scoring (wing and guard)

HouRealCoach
07-07-2008, 01:40 PM
He needs to come here

Jpripper88
07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Who ruled him in? The Rockets are not near as capable of winning a championship next year as the Spurs or Celtics.