PDA

View Full Version : Brewers, Indians agree on Sabathia

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
done deal kiddies

just was told by a reliable club source that the Brewers have a deal in place with Cleveland for left-hander C.C. Sabathia, contingent on the paperwork being done and medical records exchanged.

But believe me, folks, that's a deal. All that other stuff is formality.

All I know so far is that top prospect Matt LaPorta is in the deal. I was told two lower-level minor leaguers also are included. The Brewers refused to include another top prospect such as Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

JHG722
07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I know it's likely, but until a reliable source reports it, this is nothing.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I know it's likely, but until a reliable source reports it, this is nothing.

How is a Brewers beatwriter for their paper not a reliable source? Tom Haudricourt is about as reliable as there is.

Dark Donnie
07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
I'll wait for a reliable source, but not a bad deal for Mil if true.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Guys, like I said, Haudricourt is a Brewers beatwriter for the Journal Sentinel with lots of club sources. It's completely legit, the deal is done. I'd stake my reputation on it if I had one.

brewersfan729
07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Reliable source? That IS a reliable source. He's the Brewers beat writer for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. He's the one who first reported that the Indians were scouting Taylor Green specifically. It doesn't get much more reliable than that.

JHG722
07-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Watch them miss the playoffs :laugh:

Dark Donnie
07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Guys, like I said, Haudricourt is a Brewers beatwriter for the Journal Sentinel with lots of club sources. It's completely legit, the deal is done. I'd stake my reputation on it if I had one.

Well good deal for The Brewers....Like to see what else is being exchanged

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Gee this post doesn't reek of a bitter Phillies fan upset his team didn't get C.C. at all :rolleyes:

crowdawg239
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Very interesting deal, could work out great for the Indians long term. The Brewers would have to hope that they can sign CC long term, otherwise it could end up hurting them.

vigilantex69
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I'll wait for a reliable source, but not a bad deal for Mil if true.

Why would you give up a top prospect for a guy that will most likely be gone after the season anyway? Why not wait to just bid on him after the season ends? This stuff amazes me

Dark Donnie
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Gee this post doesn't reek of a bitter Phillies fan upset his team didn't get C.C. at all :rolleyes:

We really had no chance so people really don't care.

sportwiz628
07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
done deal kiddies

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/07/06/brewers-indians-agree-on-sabathia.aspx

ESPN is my reliable source

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Why would you give up a top prospect for a guy that will most likely be gone after the season anyway? Why not wait to just bid on him after the season ends? This stuff amazes me

Because if he leaves they get two top draft picks in return so it doesn't hurt them that badly and this gives them a chance to make a run in a very weak National League. Who wants to face Sheets-Sabathia in the playoffs?

JHG722
07-06-2008, 07:09 PM

I'd rather have Bedard anyway. He's not a fatass, and wont cost us $125,000,000+ (IF you can sign him...)

BurnsinPhilly
07-06-2008, 07:11 PM
not on espn or si or anything bigger than a crappy milwaukee station.

KmB728
07-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Well im watching Baseball Tonight and nothing has been mentioned.... itd be top news wouldnt it?

Sick Of It All
07-06-2008, 07:14 PM

...because odds are that the Brewers are not going to be a team that would be in the running for C.C. and will like to make the playoffs this year after not making it in such a long time. Their farm system is good enough that they can afford to give up some talent for a playoff run and possible WS run. Sabathia and Sheets 1-2 is simply nasty.

After the season if they can't sign him, they will get 2 picks for him to somewhat erase 2 of the guys they gave up for him.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Well im watching Baseball Tonight and nothing has been mentioned.... itd be top news wouldnt it?

They won't say it until it's officiall announced by either team probably.

But the deal is done, you can all think what you want but it's done.

mattz1212
07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
...because odds are that the Brewers are not going to be a team that would be in the running for C.C. and will like to make the playoffs this year after not making it in such a long time. Their farm system is good enough that they can afford to give up some talent for a playoff run and possible WS run. Sabathia and Sheets 1-2 is simply nasty.

After the season if they can't sign him, they will get 2 picks for him to somewhat erase 2 of the guys they gave up for him.

Perfectly said, 26 years to simply too long. Of course if the Brewers don't make the playoffs this deal looks completely idiotic, but how can you say this doesn't help their chances? With the Brewers proven strong scouting those two picks could turn out to be pretty valuable to them.

KmB728
07-06-2008, 07:23 PM
i just saw on ESPN that the Brewers are moving closer into the deal... so its not complete yet

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 07:25 PM
It's complete.

grizz8884
07-06-2008, 07:28 PM
How is a Brewers beatwriter for their paper not a reliable source? Tom Haudricourt is about as reliable as there is.

+1

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 07:28 PM
LaPorta isn't playing tonight and Cain has been moved up from A to AA to replace him. How much more do you need? This is as official as it gets before it's announced and put on ESPN.

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Its on CBSsports too

brewersfan729
07-06-2008, 07:30 PM

The same network that has said nothing about Taylor Green, the prospect the Indians were specifically scouting?

JDIsMyGod23
07-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Sweet, he's killed us forever, now he can kill the other Chicago team. Good riddance CC. I hate you.

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10888845

Is that reliable enough?

redwhitenblue
Sweet, he's killed us forever, now he can kill the other Chicago team. Good riddance CC. I hate you.
I'd love to see him pull a Zito

grizz8884

:laugh2:

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10888845

Is that reliable enough?

NEARLY done

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
It looks like the next time C.C. Sabathia takes the mound he'll be donning a Milwaukee Brewers' jersey.

The Brewers and the Cleveland Indians agreed to a deal for the reigning AL Cy Young on Sunday, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The newspaper reports the deal is contingent on paperwork being finished and the exchange of medical records.

Cleveland would get Double-A outfielder Matt LaPorta, who is hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville, and two other minor leaguers in return, according to the Journal Sentinel. The two other players do not include top prospects Alcides Escobar or Mat Gamel.

The Brewers wanted Sabathia on their pitching staff in time to get him two starts before the All-Star break, according to multiple media reports. Sabathia, who is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA this season, could debut in Milwaukee against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told the Journal Sentinel on Saturday that a proposal was on table and he awaiting word from Indians GM Mark Shapiro.

"Mark said he'd be in touch with me," said Melvin. "I'm sure they've got to think through everything."

Laporta was scratched from Huntsville's lineup Sunday, another indication the deal was close.

Milwaukee has been considered the front-runner in the Sabathia sweepstakes. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays were among other teams vying for his services.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3475667

Done deal.

This will help the Brewers jump in the race for the NL Central battling the Cubs and Cardinals.

Although, I absolutely HATE the deal for Milwaukee. Give up their best prospect, PLUS a couple more prospects for a half year rental, who probably still won't push the team over the Cubs. The Brewers have no chance at signing C.C, since the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox, and Dodgers will be lining up come the winter, ready to unload over $100 million for him. Makes no sense for the Brewers, IMO. Sheets and C.C. is one of the best 1-2 punches in the league, but it won't last long, as at least one of those aces will be changing teams this offseason.

jwdaly07
NEARLY done

:rolleyes:

All that means is that the paperwork and medical exams need to be done. AKA, the deal is finished, he's a Brewer.

redsox12
6:29pm: MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince talked to Indians GM Mark Shapiro, who said "it is definitely not a done deal." We don't know whether that comment refers to the standard physical, or something more.

mlbtraderumors.com

JDIsMyGod23
07-06-2008, 07:36 PM
They will get two draft picks if he leaves, it's not THAT big of a deal since they are loaded anyway.

JDIsMyGod23
07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Double post. Go White Sox.

wissportsfan
07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Yup it's on ESPN now.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
mlbtraderumors.com

Of course he'll say that, because there's always a chance these things break down in the very last second.

brewersfan729
07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
The Brewers have no chance at signing C.C

We know. We'll happily take the two picks we get for him when he walks. So it's C.C. for three months to give us a better chance at the playoffs this year, plus two draft picks for three prospects. Sounds good to me.

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
NEARLY done

Now you're just splitting hairs, every deal is NEARLY done until medical and paperwork clears

OnWisconsin2007
I'm sure old Brewers ownder Bud Selig will be more than happy to slap a stamp on this thing....welcome CC to Mil-town!

jwdaly07
Wait a minute, this story: http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/ was posted at like 4 PM today. The latest news is that it's done.

ShinobiNYC
07-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Until this is in the wall street journal I don't believe you :silly::whistle:

OnWisconsin2007
And by the way, Mat Gamel is our best prospect...

sieracki24
ESPN.com - Breaking news - C.C. says bye-bye to Cleveland

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Well what I know is that this couldnt hurt my fantasy team, Cleveland had no offense whatsoever so Hopefully CC earns some more wins in a Brewers uniform

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Until this is in the wall street journal I don't believe you :silly::whistle:
:laugh: :clap:

eyememine
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm still waiting for it to be reported in Time magazine and Newsweek. Then it is official

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm still waiting for it to be reported in Time magazine and Newsweek. Then it is official

:laugh:

ccugrad1
07-06-2008, 07:46 PM
That's the big thing: Can the Brewers sign EITHER Sheets or Sabathia. I guess I am more close to the vest; I wouldn't trade for Sabathia until his name was on a contract extension.

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 07:49 PM
We know. We'll happily take the two picks we get for him when he walks. So it's C.C. for three months to give us a better chance at the playoffs this year, plus two draft picks for three prospects. Sounds good to me.

I would rather keep the 2 to 3 prospects that I am trading, because I know that they are good and will have successful MLB careers. 2 Draft picks are not definite star prospects, they very well can be busts. C.C. is good, but not good enough to give up a future star for him to pitch 2 and a half months, getting 15-20 starts.

znick21
07-06-2008, 07:49 PM
i'm a huge indians fan and although i like c.c. a lot, i think it was a good move to move him and get value in return. he's got great stuff but i just don't think he has that killer mentality that great pitchers have. especially watching him this year i've honestly thought he was the third best pitcher on our staff behind carmona and lee. and let's face it he's only going to go downhill from here and he will never live up to the massive contract he is about to sign in the offseason. nothing against cc, i just don't think any pitcher out there with a 100 million dollar contract is worth it.

thewupk
07-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I would rather keep the 2 to 3 prospects that I am trading, because I know that they are good and will have successful MLB careers. 2 Draft picks are not definite star prospects, they very well can be busts. C.C. is good, but not good enough to give up a future star for him to pitch 2 and a half months, getting 15-20 starts.

of course the Brewers are the 2nd best team in the NL and this very well could make them the favorite in the league. It's a gamble for sure but sometimes it's worth it for a team to make it.

It's a good deal for the Indians though. The last time they traded a star pitcher at the deadline they pulled in Lee, Sizemore, and Phillips from the Expos for Colon. LaPorta could be a special player.

brewersfan729
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM

What makes you so sure the prospects we're giving up are going to be successful major leaguers? Rickie Weeks was a top prospect and he's struggling badly, Dallas McPherson was a top prospect, he's in the minors. The thing is none of these guys we're giving up are sure things. Do I think they will be good or possibly very good major leaguers? Yes. Do I think the guys the Brewers draft when Sabathia leaves could be very good major league players? Yes.

-Lavigne43-
07-06-2008, 07:57 PM
He will be a Yankee next season

papipapsmanny
07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
olney just reported it

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 08:00 PM
As Buster Olney just said even if Sheets and Sabathia leave after this year well have something like 5 of the top 35 picks in the draft next year. That's after having 6 in the top 67 or so this year. Our farm system will be re-stocked big time and we'll already 2 young studs in the rotation at least with Gallardo and Parra.

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
What makes you so sure the prospects we're giving up are going to be successful major leaguers? Rickie Weeks was a top prospect and he's struggling badly, Dallas McPherson was a top prospect, he's in the minors. The thing is none of these guys we're giving up are sure things. Do I think they will be good or possibly very good major leaguers? Yes. Do I think the guys the Brewers draft when Sabathia leaves could be very good major league players? Yes.

I don't know for sure if LaPorta and the others will be successful major leaguers, but they have a hell of a better shot than those draft picks have. I am just not so sure if C.C. is worth it. He is having a solid season, but lets not forget his horrid postseason in 2007. If the Brewers make the postseason, he likely won't help much.

mattz1212
07-06-2008, 08:03 PM
of course the Brewers are the 2nd best team in the NL and this very well could make them the favorite in the league. It's a gamble for sure but sometimes it's worth it for a team to make it.

It's a good deal for the Indians though. The last time they traded a star pitcher at the deadline they pulled in Lee, Sizemore, and Phillips from the Expos for Colon. LaPorta could be a special player.

I wouldn't go as far as to call the Brewers the favorite in the NL, but this certainly boosts their playoff chances and hopefully will keep the Cubs in sight for the rest of the season until that final series.

Also, I'd just like to say the Colon situation was much different than this one, but it does show the Indians do scout well when scouting potential prospects to be included in a deal.

As mentioned above, prospects like LaPorta aren't slam dunk stars. The likelihood he'll become a good major leaguer are high but not certain by any means. The Brewers have systematically been strong drafters, these two first rounders are pretty valuable to them. I am not saying this isn't a good deal for the Indians, they certainly got what they wanted in a VERY good prospect in LaPorta and probably two fairly good prospects as well. I'm just saying the Brewers do know what they are doing here.

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
He will be a Yankee next season

Pretty much. As long as the Sox hit him like they did in the ALCS in 2007, I am not worried!

:D

TheBatchelor213
what a waste. Milw is probably not even making the playoffs let alone going to re up on CC and they gave up what will probably be one future all star and two solid players. If anything this makes the Cubs and Cards stronger because they will go out and make moves of their own.

znick21
does anyone know who the other prospects are? i'm assuming one of them is taylor green and i thought cain would be apart of the deal but someone said he was moving up to double a to take laporta's spot so i have no idea.

OnWisconsin2007
You have to remember though, the Brewers need more starting pitching and I don't think they want to chance it. They made the move to not onlymake the playoffs this year, but to win the WS.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know for sure if LaPorta and the others will be successful major leaguers, but they have a hell of a better shot than those draft picks have. I am just not so sure if C.C. is worth it. He is having a solid season, but lets not forget his horrid postseason in 2007. If the Brewers make the postseason, he likely won't help much.

Oh please. The last time he pitched in the postseason before that he was very good. One freaking year does not mean you can assume the guy can't pitch in the playoffs. Nice stretching though.

cwilson21
07-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Good move by the Indians. C.C. already denied an extension w/ them and now they are going to get a stud OF/1B in LaPorta. I'd love to be Sabathia right now. Go from a last place team to a good contending team and have a chance to really boost my stock for a big payday.

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 08:06 PM
what a waste. Milw is probably not even making the playoffs let alone going to re up on CC and they gave up what will probably be one future all star and two solid players. If anything this makes the Cubs and Cards stronger because they will go out and make moves of their own.

Way to kill any credibility you may have had with that ridiculous *** post. :laugh:

redwhitenblue
As Buster Olney just said even if Sheets and Sabathia leave after this year well have something like 5 of the top 35 picks in the draft next year. That's after having 6 in the top 67 or so this year. Our farm system will be re-stocked big time and we'll already 2 young studs in the rotation at least with Gallardo and Parra.
Gotta love "studs" with 1.50+WHIP's

cwilson21

Yeah because it's that easy to trade for an ace:rolleyes:

Swish-Cab-Ob
Buster Olney just said it's about a done deal

Cullksinikers
Buster Olney said it was a done deal at the very end of Baseball Tonight. It's done deal, but my Cubbies will still probably win the division.

Cullksinikers
07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Buster Olney just said it's a done deal

At the end of BBTN.

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
You have to remember though, the Brewers need more starting pitching and I don't think they want to chance it. They made the move to not onlymake the playoffs this year, but to win the WS.
Not really, the Brewers desperately needed relief, their pen is their weak point-not the starting rotation

jwdaly07
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
What ESPN viewers think: http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/poll/index?pCat=46&sCat=87

I'm inclined to agree :clap:

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Starting pitching is the most important aspect of a team. Ask Boston, the White Sox, Colorado, etc.

cwilson21
07-06-2008, 08:11 PM
The Brewers better make the playoffs though or they will look like dumbasses for making the deal.

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Starting pitching is the most important aspect of a team. Ask Boston, the White Sox, Colorado, etc.
Colorado lost the WS, are you talking about the 2005 White Sox?

Also, Boston and the White Sox also had damn good pens the last time through

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah but Colorado got to the WS with starting pitching....I know that's a major accomplishment in your eyes, you are a Cubs fan.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey did you guys forget we aren't owned by the Selig's, as long as we are winning Attanasio will spend the money, we might not get both Sheets and Sabathia but I will say we do get one of them IMO. We dont have the tight pockets anymore running our organization

cwilson21
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah but Colorado got to the WS with starting pitching....I know that's a major accomplishment in your eyes, you are a Cubs fan.

Colorado got to a WS mainly because of their offense. Their starting pitching did jack**** in the WS.

Pujolsfan91
07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Ugh, this was expected, but not gonna be cool seeing C.C pitch for the opposing brewcrew.

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Or with their great offense and pretty solid BP

No one piece gets any team anywhere
It's been a while since a ****ty BP succeeded in the playoffs

BaRRySandAmaN
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Or with their great offense and pretty solid BP

No one piece gets any team anywhere
It's been a while since a ****ty BP succeeded in the playoffs
RWB, pretty solid bullpen that hasnt done really anything as well, that bullpen is as good as the Brewers on PAPER, but they overahcieved emmensely for the stretch into the WS.

I do agree though we need to figure out what the Bullpen's issue is, Torres has been fine, Riske is coming back,Gagne looked alright, Mota needs to find his mechanics again and we have 2 lefties for situational. Not to forget Carlos V has been looking good since his early woes. The pieces are there the guys just need to get their jobs done. Easier said then done though

310Casper
07-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm just glad that Dodgers didn't give up any major prospects for a 3 month rental! Dodgers will be in the running for the C.C. sweepstakes this offseason anyway, and we wont have to give up anyone for him. C.C.'s having a house built in the O.C. (30 minutes away from Dodger Stadium).

Enjoy him while you have him Milwaukee. :)

good spliff
07-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Indians won this trade. They receive super prospect Matt Laporta for a three month rental. Milwaukee will be unhappy come this off-season when C.C. tests the market.

-Lavigne43-
07-06-2008, 08:33 PM
The Brewers now have two of the fattest players in baseball with Prince and CC.

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Seperated twins?

nyyfan4life
07-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Now all the talk of him going to NY can stop...

mattz1212
07-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Only fitting that Milwaukee has them, I wonder if they met on the mound if it would become flat...

Apparently I am going to clarify something that people don't understand... the Brewers KNOW this is a 3 month rental. But if you said this doesn't help their postseason chances then you flat out don't know baseball. I am not saying this fixes all of the issues, I am not sold on the bullpen at all but I do believe it is at least servicable. Sure it's a short-sighted deal, but I swear the Brewers would be kicking themselves if they had done nothing at the deadline and missed the playoffs by a few games and the city would probably murder management themselves for a front office of a squad who hasn't seen the postseason in 26 years sitting on their hands not doing anything. These 2 first round picks are valuable to this squad. I'll remind everybody LaPorta was a "stretch" when the Brewers selected him, with everyone calling him a stud I think it would prove the Brewers did a quality job in selecting him.

EDIT: I will also throw out there that last season the bullpen struggles came when Sheets went down because they were consistently having to throw 3+ innings a night. Getting a guy like CC couldn't hurt the pen.

Dcup
07-06-2008, 09:04 PM
^Agreed. Plus we have so much talent in the minors it is ridiculous. LaPorta was a mild stretch, but people knew who he was. I would say Gamel was and is still a stretch, but look at the offensive numbers. They are insane. It hurts a little bit that we couldnt keep LaPorta, but CC will at least give us a chance THIS year. The addition of CC gives us the best rotation in the NL Central. We might even be more dangerous as the WC then if we won the division, but its going to be exciting watching how it all plays out.

C-ross12
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
They will get two draft picks if he leaves, it's not THAT big of a deal since they are loaded anyway.

Are you so sure that those draft picks will make up for a Potential MLB AS? Not to mention the other 2 prospects which im sure arent scrubs. Im really not all that sure..

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
All draft picks that the Brewers make are potential all-stars.

C-ross12
07-06-2008, 09:19 PM

:laugh: So the brewers have 100 or whatever number of players they have potential AS?

Dark Donnie
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM

:pity:

Joba Rules!!
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM

You're so right

BigEric
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I really believe that the Brew crew will beat out the Cubs for the Central divison now.

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
The Brewers didn't give up anything hardly for CC. LaPorta plays the same position as Braun, Hart and Fielder, who he most likely won't be better than. I'll take a Cy Young pitcher for that. As for the other 2, well, they're nothing special in Milwaukee's farm system.

Joba Rules!!
07-06-2008, 09:30 PM
The Brewers didn't give up anything hardly for CC. LaPorta plays the same position as Braun, Hart and Fielder, who he most likely won't be better than. I'll take a Cy Young pitcher for that. As for the other 2, well, they're nothing special in Milwaukee's farm system.

What are you talking about? They're potential all-stars....at least according to you.

Tragedy
07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
:laugh:

An awful move for the Brewers.

Good job, Cleveland.

Max Power
07-06-2008, 09:33 PM
CC and Prince together? They just might give the ladies of Wisconsin a run for their money at Old Country Buffet.

gocubs2118
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
You should really just shut up now before you make everyone who is a Brewers fan look bad.

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:36 PM
OK, I get it, Cubs fans are angry. I would be too if you guys got CC. But quit freaking about the minor leaguers, we have players in the majors that are better than them, and always will be.

An awful move? Come on. We traded 3 minor leaguers for a Cy Young winner.

kyubi256
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
terrible move for the Brewers if they don't win the World Series this year...

next year

1. No Ben Sheets
2. No CC Sabathia
3. No top prospects

yeah... not smart

kingsfan15
07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
the cubs, imo, have to go after another starter, whether it be harden, burnett, bedard(i would rather stay away from him). but i have a bad feeling theyre gonna go after randy wolf, and overpay like they did trachsel last year, but, what can ya do

kingsfan15

OnWisconsin2007
No top prospects? People don't know what they're talking about.

We had 10 all-stars at AA with LaPorta. Our farm system is stacked, we added 6 more players from this year's top 62, and if those 2 leave they'll get 5 more of the top 35 picks. And just because Sheets is testing free agency, doesn't mean we won't re-sign him. I don't think you guys understand what it's like to be a Brewer fan. We haven't made the playoffs since 82. I want good players to win NOW.

Halladay
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I always find it funny when people **** all over the Brewers for amove like this but if they're team made this deal they'd love it. Funny how the double standard works.

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I always find it funny when people **** all over the Brewers for amove like this but if they're team made this deal they'd love it. Funny how the double standard works.

Thank you.

Like I've been trying to say, how is adding the reigning Cy Young winner a BAD thing?

tonyd3b54
07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
if i were the brewers id be deep in contract negotiations to keep this guy around long term...

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I think the Cubs will acquire a big name huge bat LF to replace Murton/Fontenot on the roster within the next week and a half, he'll have the ability to hit 40 HR's in a year and with newly healthy legs he may even start stealing bases again while throwing out runners all over the place

Yes, Soriano is returning soon, the Cubs have played without him for over a month now I believe, in fact in June the Cubs had stretches with Zambrano, Soriano, Edmonds, Johnson, Ramirez, Theriot, Eyre and Ward
That would be their ace, their superstar LF, their CF platoon, their All-Star 3B, their starting SS, their best LH middle reliever and their best bat off the bench

And they're still in first

We had 10 all-stars at AA with LaPorta.The Cubs have 7 in the majors, so what, doesn't mean that the 10 were well-deserved just like the Cubs 7 weren't all well-deserved

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Because the Brewers can't/won't resign him, therefore it's a rental for a great prospect

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
A prospect who has Braun Hart and Fielder currently occupying his positions?

YankeeFan28
07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Colorado got to a WS mainly because of their offense. Their starting pitching did jack**** in the WS.

3rd in the majors in ERA after the ASB. Their offense made the noise, but it was their pitching that carried them.

Halladay
07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Because the Brewers can't/won't resign him, therefore it's a rental for a great prospect

So what? this happens in every sport. You see top prospects/young players traded for all-stars. It's risky but if you want to win you need to take risks. Like I said, if the Cubs or RedSox or Yankees made this deal all of there fans would be loving it defending the trade left and right. The Brewers know that if they're going to go for a WS then they're running out of time. People just like ****ting all over these trades. Your giving up players who haven't done **** for a Cy Young winner. He's not some scrub.

Tragedy
07-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Thank you.

Like I've been trying to say, how is adding the reigning Cy Young winner a BAD thing?
It's a bad thing because:

-They're putting all their eggs into their 2008 basket. This is a win RIGHT NOW move, and nothing more. They're allowing quality prospects go in hopes that C.C. for July, August, September, and possibly October will be enough to win it all.

-They already know he's not going to be re-signed. Teams like the Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs are going to likely need a starter for 2009, and they all can EASILY outbid the Brewers for his services.

D-Amazins
07-06-2008, 09:53 PM

LMFAO :laugh:

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, well I'm willing to bet we'll still get Sheets to come back, and if we don't, we have good young pitching in Parra and Gallardo was awesome as a rookie. If we lose those guys we'll stock up on even more prospects with the 5 picks we'll receive, and I'm sure do something to get another pitcher.

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
So what? this happens in every sport. You see top prospects/young players traded for all-stars. It's risky but if you want to win you need to take risks. Like I said, if the Cubs or RedSox or Yankees made this deal all of there fans would be loving it defending the trade left and right. The Brewers know that if they're going to go for a WS then they're running out of time. People just like ****ting all over these trades. Your giving up players who haven't done **** for a Cy Young winner. He's not some scrub.
Because those teams can resign him, which was the point of the post you apparently ignored

D-Amazins
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM

-They're putting all their eggs into their 2008 basket. This is a win RIGHT NOW move, and nothing more. They're allowing quality prospects go in hopes that C.C. for July, August, September, and possibly October will be enough to win it all.

-They already know he's not going to be re-signed. Teams like the Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs are going to likely need a starter for 2009, and they all can EASILY outbid the Brewers for his services.

With Pedro,El Duque,Alou,Delgado,Perez and a couple more contracts coming off the books, the mets will have $$ to spend.

Only Santana,Main & Pelfrey are in line to be in the rotation next year, with no major pitching prospects in our system we MIGHT make a run at C.C. although i find it unlikely the mets sign 2 lefties to heavy long term contracts.

Tho, id LOVE it. Besides i have a feeling Sabathia rather be an ace then a #2 pitcher to Santana

Sick Of It All
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Have you noticed that is been 26 years since they made it to the playoffs, I think Brewers fan for the most part are happy that the upper management are doing something to get this team over the hump. If they had a poor system with just a handfull of prospects and they had given up their best to get him, then this would be a bad move, but their system is deep and with all their picks this past draft and a possible 4 more picks if they lose Sheets and C.C. you know they will get some quality guys to build towards the future. This is a great move for them and if it does not work out at least fans can't say they sat there and twiddle their thumbs. Also they know that Sheets will also leave, so they have to do something to win now!!

You can leave the Mets out of this discussion, but yeah odds are he will be gone, but imo the gamble was worth it. They have plenty of talent left in their farm system. this trade is not going to set them back one bit.

Sick Of It All
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
With Pedro,El Duque,Alou,Delgado,Perez and a couple more contracts coming off the books, the mets will have $$ to spend.

Only Santana,Main & Pelfrey are in line to be in the rotation next year, with no major pitching prospects in our system we MIGHT make a run at C.C. although i find it unlikely the mets sign 2 lefties to heavy long term contracts.

Tho, id LOVE it. Besides i have a feeling Sabathia rather be an ace then a #2 pitcher to Santana

Mets wont give another pitcher 140+ million, bank on it.

...They may go after Sheets instead who may make less because of his injury history.

OnWisconsin2007
07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Have you noticed that is been 26 years since they made it to the playoffs, I think Brewers fan for the most part are happy that the upper management are doing something to get this team over the hump. If they had a poor system with just a handfull of prospects and they had given up their best to get him, then this would be a bad move, but their system is deep and with all their picks this past draft and a possible 4 more picks if they lose Sheets and C.C. you know they will get some quality guys to build towards the future. This is a great move for them and if it does not work out at least fans can't say they sat there and twiddle their thumbs. Also they know that Sheets will also leave, so they have to do something to win now!!

You can leave the Mets out of this discussion, but yeah odds are he will be gone, but imo the gamble was worth it. They have plenty of talent left in their farm system. this trade is not going to set them back one bit.

It's nice to see some informed posters coming out of the woodwork.

I don't know how anybody can say this isn't a great trade. We traded players, that DON'T play in the majors for a Cy Young award winner. Come on, use some common sense.

D-Amazins
07-06-2008, 10:03 PM

Why are they running out of time, its not as if there an old ballclub.

Their core consists of a bunch of YOUNG players

Sheets,Parra,Bush,Fielder,Hall,Braun,Weeks,Hardy & Hart are all under 30

Key PPL over 30 are - Gagne,Suppan,Cameron, & Torres.

If anything, they have alot of time in their hands especially with Gallardo coming back next yr and hes a stud.

Epic89
07-06-2008, 10:23 PM
2008 NLCS= Cubs vs. Brewers

DODGERS&LAKERS
07-06-2008, 10:37 PM
What a steal. I love it for the Brew crew. I think I heard that the main guy they are giving up is the 3rd best prospect in their farm. Its a no brainier. Anyone pooh pooing this deal is upset that their team did not get him.

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 10:37 PM
IMO the Tribe got raped. LaPorta and 2 lower specs? Wow. The Cubs could have easily matched that:

Vitters
Ceda
Donaldson

redwhitenblue
07-06-2008, 10:46 PM
IMO the Tribe got raped. LaPorta and 2 lower specs? Wow. The Cubs could have easily matched that:

Vitters
Ceda
Donaldson
No thanks, not for a rental

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 10:55 PM
2008 NLCS= Cubs vs. Brewers

2008 ALCS = Red Sox vs Rays

An all AL East and NL Central postseason!

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 11:02 PM

IMO, we'd be able to sign him though

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 11:03 PM
2008 ALCS = Red Sox vs Rays

An all AL East and NL Central postseason!

that'd be pretty sick

All we need is the Cards to fall out of it, then the WC comes from the Crew or Cubs for sure!

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 11:08 PM
that'd be pretty sick

All we need is the Cards to fall out of it, then the WC comes from the Crew or Cubs for sure!

Works for me. As long as the Sox win, I could care less who wins the NL.

BALLER71
07-06-2008, 11:10 PM

I'm not a Brewers fan but I smell some jealousy because the Phillies couldn't get him.

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not a Brewers fan but I smell some jealousy because the Phillies couldn't get him.

Not really. It would be pretty funny if they didn't, because they would give up their top prospect for a half year rental all for nothing

Havoc Wreaker
07-06-2008, 11:33 PM

And I smell some jealousy because the Phillies are better than both Mets AND Marlins

Not really. It would be pretty funny if they didn't, because they would give up their top prospect for a half year rental all for nothing

:confused:

chicagofan71
07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
:confused:

What was so confusing? I was saying that JHG was right because if they don't make the playoffs, it would be pretty funny. They would have given up Matt LaPorta for a guy they most likely won't sign, and not make the playoffs. tHe trade would be a waste

nybigjg
07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Good luck to MIL, clearly they want to win this year. I highly doubt MIL offers more money than the Yankees when CC is a FA. Rumors suggest CC wants to be a Yankee or CAL Team and Mil is a central team and I don't think he resigns there.

brewersfan729
07-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Why are they running out of time, its not as if there an old ballclub.

Their core consists of a bunch of YOUNG players

Sheets,Parra,Bush,Fielder,Hall,Braun,Weeks,Hardy & Hart are all under 30

Key PPL over 30 are - Gagne,Suppan,Cameron, & Torres.

If anything, they have alot of time in their hands especially with Gallardo coming back next yr and hes a stud.

THe problem is Sheets is a free agent after this year. If he doesn't re-sign then our rotation is led by Gallardo coming off ACL surgery. That doesn't seem like a playoff caliber rotation to me.

ccugrad1
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM

See, that's one of the things about this deal that doesn't get talked about enough. I have to laugh when you hear people say, "Oh CC isn't about chasing 'every penny.'" If C.C. Sabathia wasn't worried about chasing every penny, why does he turn down the 4 year extension worth nearly 80 million? When you are a free agent pitcher like Sabathia, his STARTING point is what Zito got from the Giants. I wouldn't trade Sabathia until his name was on a contract extension. Why trade for him when you can just sign him in free agency?

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
See, that's one of the things about this deal that doesn't get talked about enough. I have to laugh when you hear people say, "Oh CC isn't about chasing 'every penny.'" If C.C. Sabathia wasn't worried about chasing every penny, why does he turn down the 4 year extension worth nearly 80 million? When you are a free agent pitcher like Sabathia, his STARTING point is what Zito got from the Giants. I wouldn't trade Sabathia until his name was on a contract extension. Why trade for him when you can just sign him in free agency?

Because if we get him now we've got a good 3 months of a Sheets-Sabathia 1-2 punch?

Uncle Funster
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM

That's what I don't understand. Is there a clause that they (Brewers) have a certain number of days to try and extend him or nullify the deal? If not, they are the dumbest morons on the planet to rent him for 1/2 a season at that cost.

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 12:38 PM
brew crew just got a flat out steal IMO

Havoc Wreaker
07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
They have the remainder of the season to work on an extension, if they got the money, free agency is gonna be a pickle, with big market teams making a run at him. Still i dont see what the fuss is about, they got a pitcher that can put them over the top in the NL a the expense of Laporta (3rd best prospect of a stacked farm as Ive heard) and 2 lesser prospects, and when and if he walks at seasons end, they get 2 draft picks out of the first 35 or something like that....so they can re-stack their farm.
I dont see the problem with trading a prospect, who hasnt proved anything, for a 1/2 rental even if they dont have a chance to resign him, they just feel they are poised to make a run at this thing now

jwdaly07
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Some people really don't understand how little we actually gave up. With our farm system, giving up one premier prospect, one decent one that's far away from the pros, and then Zach Jackson who is crap and some other unknown, is nothing. Even if this deal backfired and Sabathia sucks in Milwaukee, our future looks just as bright as it did before. Our AA team had 10 all-stars this year.

Plus Gamel is better than LaPorta.

FriarFanatic
07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
they hardly gave up anything that would hurt their farm system and many people think that the Indians did a poor job and should have gotten more than what they did

Freel for prez
07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
obviously im a big reds fan...but im rooting for anyone to take out the cubs this year...go brew crew...this trade will screw you in the end b/c Lapointa and Green (if you also give him up) are going to be studs...along with the other 2...But please keep the curse alive for this year!!! 100 years of tears cubby fans!!!!

Freel for prez
07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
they hardly gave up anything that would hurt their farm system and many people think that the Indians did a poor job and should have gotten more than what they did

I wouldnt say hardly anything....Lapointa WILL be good

ShinobiNYC
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
So is he scheduled to pitch tomorrow? Who was scheduled for the Brewers in the 1st place and who is being sent down or DFA?

Knowledge
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
When your farm system is stacked you can do whatever you want to do and not worry about the consequences. good move for the Brewers either you win now or reload your farm in win later.

wissportsfan
07-07-2008, 02:05 PM
So is he scheduled to pitch tomorrow? Who was scheduled for the Brewers in the 1st place and who is being sent down or DFA?

I'm guessing McClung will go to relief and then they will probably send down Stetter, but that would mean we got 1 lefty in the pen again.

acecrusher06
07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
smart move to get what you can.

torontocubs
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
This was a huge drop in the value most people expected Sabathia would go for. My guess was that the Indians started shopping him early because they wanted to see what was being offered, and this must have been the best offer by far considering they jumped this quickly. If the brewers are serious about winning, this offer would have only gotten better as competition built closer to the deadline. Teams must not have been that interested, or certainly not willing to pay. Laporta will be a huge slugger in the AL, but what do the brewers really lose, they get two first round picks if Sabathia walks.

So whos the next big name to go - Brian Roberts? AJ Burnett? Dunn?

marques724
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Good move by the brewers getting CC for cheap and they'll use the the first round picks wisely when CC walks in the off-season

Dark Donnie
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Some people really don't understand how little we actually gave up. With our farm system, giving up one premier prospect, one decent one that's far away from the pros, and then Zach Jackson who is crap and some other unknown, is nothing. Even if this deal backfired and Sabathia sucks in Milwaukee, our future looks just as bright as it did before. Our AA team had 10 all-stars this year.

Plus Gamel is better than LaPorta.

Where do you guys rank with the rest of the league...in terms of farm systems?

fanatical18
07-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Really good breakdown of this trade especially if you're unfamiliar with the players involved:

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/sabathia-laporta-trade.html

LaPorta has a classic power hitter's swing. He does a great job of carrying his weight forward forward. Notice how the bat stays connected to the body as he loads his hands by moving his elbow almost behind his back similar to the way a pitcher loads their arm horizontally.

brewersfan729
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
this trade will screw you in the end b/c Lapointa

Ahh yes, everybody has heard of the super-stud Matt Lapointa.:rolleyes:

Where do you guys rank with the rest of the league...in terms of farm systems?

We were ranked 22nd before the season started but you can pretty much guarantee that we have four top 100 prospects in the system (Gamel, Escobar, Salome and Jeffress) as well as some other good prospects (Brantley, Cain, Gillespie, Braddock and LuCroy) plus we just had six of the first 62 picks in this years draft (Lawrie, Odorizzi, Frederickson, Lintz, Dykstra, Adams.)

Havoc Wreaker
07-07-2008, 05:47 PM

He goes tommorow vs colorado (they said it too late i have him sitting down in fantasy :cry:)

Mcclung i think was gonna go down, but Suppan apparently got hurt, so Suppan will get some weeks rest, rotation will look like this

Sheets, Sabathia, Parra, Bush, Mcclung

Good looking :-)

The A Team
07-07-2008, 06:25 PM
I was surprised that BA ranked the Brewers 21st to be honest (pre-season). Their farm system is 3 times deeper than 22nd ranked Philadelphia as well as stronger than the 20th ranked Cubbies. Of course the rankings I have in front of me don't even include the Johan trade, so the Mets would be right about 30th in any updated ranking with their one prospect. BA doesn't give LaPorta a stellar review due to his suspect mobility. You may see him converted to 1b for the Indians.