Reserves

JD Drew
Jason Varitek - Voted by the players lol

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Varitek = All Star Game MVP

lavell12
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
varitek should turn it down and let someone more deserving take his place, that is a joke.

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
varitek should turn it down and let someone more deserving take his place, that is a joke.

The players get money if they get selected/play in the All Star Game, so why turn it down if the players think you deserve it?

-Lavigne43-
07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Players have done it in the past

BrooklynBalla20
07-06-2008, 03:42 PM
i'm happy that these guys made it. they are all deserving. (except varitek lol) but there really arent that many catchers in the american league who are doing great, so i guess the players must respect varitek alot since he got in. i'm really happy to see drew get in the most though

RedSoxRok34
07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
i didn't expect beckett or dice-k to make it, but im surprised to see tito didn't take lester. to say he's finally matured into a truly good mlb starter is an understatement. he's been the rock of our rotation, and the way hes going a 15 win, 3.50 season with 200 IP is not unthinkable. add a no-hitter into the mix, top it off with tito saying lester is "like a son" to him, i kinda figured he might give him the nod.

homie564
07-06-2008, 04:27 PM
i expected beckett i was pissed when he didnt get in... i think dice-k deserved it but i knew he wouldnt get in

K2OB4E
07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
The injury to Dice-K really hurt his chance of making the team....

Nickday
07-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Players have done it in the past

If Jason were to turn it down and I were to get the nod, I'd feel bad. The players and managers, not the fans, chose him. If he's chosen by peers over me, he obviously deserves it more so. Offensive numbers aside. Players are likely seeing how he's calling great games this season and feel he deserves it. He's slumping offensively, but his game calling isn't. His defense isn't. The majority of the league sees it that way. Him turning it down would be disrespecting the players and coaches.

I'm really surprised Lester didn't get the nod though. He's shown top of the rotation stuff all season, and has really dominated. Personally, I think he should be there, even if he wasn't gonna play

RedSoxtober
07-06-2008, 05:03 PM
i didn't expect beckett or dice-k to make it, but im surprised to see tito didn't take lester. to say he's finally matured into a truly good mlb starter is an understatement. he's been the rock of our rotation, and the way hes going a 15 win, 3.50 season with 200 IP is not unthinkable. add a no-hitter into the mix, top it off with tito saying lester is "like a son" to him, i kinda figured he might give him the nod.

I'm really surprised Lester didn't get the nod though. He's shown top of the rotation stuff all season, and has really dominated. Personally, I think he should be there, even if he wasn't gonna play

I think you guys have selective memory. At the start of the year a bunch of guys around here felt justified at saying they didn't like Lester in the rotation. He was 1-2, 4.54 through the end of April with 23bb/22k in 39.2IP. That's hardly 'top of the rotation stuff'. Farrell did great work with him at the start of May, getting him to slow down and attack the strike zone more and that's made all the difference.

All Star since May? Yes. All Star all season? Nope.

Nickday
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I think you guys have selective memory. At the start of the year a bunch of guys around here felt justified at saying they didn't like Lester in the rotation. He was 1-2, 4.54 through the end of April with 23bb/22k in 39.2IP. That's hardly 'top of the rotation stuff'. Farrell did great work with him at the start of May, getting him to slow down and attack the strike zone more and that's made all the difference.

I've ALWAYS wanted Lester in the rotation. ALWAYS. My posts back me up. I said no when his name was in a Santana trade. I've always liked him in the past, and believed he'd be a top of the rotation guy, and I still do. He's a great pitcher, and the best is yet to come.

papipapsmanny
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM

not me at all

RedSoxtober
07-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I've ALWAYS wanted Lester in the rotation. ALWAYS. My posts back me up. I said no when his name was in a Santana trade. I've always liked him in the past, and believed he'd be a top of the rotation guy, and I still do. He's a great pitcher, and the best is yet to come.

not me at all

Easy, guys. I never said either of you wanted him out. I only said that those who did want him out felt justified by his poor performance. He was borderline bad at the start of the season.

papipapsmanny
07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
yeah i know i just like to let it me known that i was one of very few to stick with him

makes me feel smart, and i deserve a cookie :)

Tragedy
07-06-2008, 09:34 PM
The injury to Dice-K really hurt his chance of making the team....
Not exactly. Scott Kazmir missed time too and he was selected.

Such a shame that Varitek made the team. Ugh. :pity:

BigEric
07-06-2008, 10:22 PM
It's good that we have 7 in and our newly found rivals (the Rays) have one I believe but I may be wrong.

americanoutlaw
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
It's good that we have 7 in and our newly found rivals (the Rays) have one I believe but I may be wrong.

the rays' catcher is on the All Star team too

goldglove212
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
i thought Dice-k should have made it even though he got hurt hes having a good year.

RedSoxtober
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
^^^ I think Dice-k was a good omission for a few reasons. First, he's not nearly as good as his record. His pitching isn't all that clean (too many walks, high pitch counts) and his record is deceiving. Second, pitching is one of those places where you can justifiably take a lot of guys who are having a good season so it's not really a slight. A related third idea is that it's the easiest place to include that player who's got to represent an otherwise unrepresented team.

goldglove212
07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
^^^ I think Dice-k was a good omission for a few reasons. First, he's not nearly as good as his record. His pitching isn't all that clean (too many walks, high pitch counts) and his record is deceiving. Second, pitching is one of those places where you can justifiably take a lot of guys who are having a good season so it's not really a slight. A related third idea is that it's the easiest place to include that player who's got to represent an otherwise unrepresented team.

thats a good point your right he hasnt pitched as good as his record indicates