PDA

View Full Version : Cavs FA: Yay or Nay?

Sbank
07-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Cavs FA: Yay or Nay?
Well itís that time of year again when NBA teams are lucky enough to uncover future bargains like Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall andÖyeah. Free Agency is where overpaid happens. Period. Itís the time when players usually ask for the stars, the moon, the sky, the planets, etc., and the general managers usually give it to them. Itís often the place where general managers think they can build their team through free agency and when that happens, you get the Cleveland Cavaliers.

So this is year is pretty much like last year: we have two young, restricted free agents coming off of good years. The Cavs top two priorities are getting Delonte West and Daniel Gibson locked up. Thereís no doubt about it.

But the Cavs will have decisions to make. What if Gibson or West holdout and wait for the money like Anderson Varejao did? Oh wait, they donít have Dan Fegan as their agent. Never mind.

The bottom line is that the Cavs will have some tough decisions to make with some key pieces from last year on the free agent market. What will those decisions be? Who knows. But what we do know is that theyíll likely impact our future.

So letís breakdown the situations so we can see what the Cavs have on their hands.

First off with the restricted free agents:

Daniel Gibson, G - 30.5 MPG, 10.4 PPG, 2.5 APG, 2.3 RPG, 43.2% FG%, 44% 3PT%, 81% FT%

What we have here is the Cavs #1 priority, without a doubt in my mind. Yeah Gibson might not be the perfect player but thatís okay. He might not be the best defensive player, he might not be that much more than a shooter but there is one key issue that cannot be overlooked. That is the LeBron James factor. We all know that Gibson is LeBronís little buddy (maybe an understatement) and that right there is more than enough motivation to re-sign Gibson. With all the talk (crap, I should say) about LeBron wanting to leave Cleveland, the Cavs shouldnít be adding any fuel to the fire. The last thing they want is LeBron unhappy about what Danny Ferry and Co. are doing about this terrific (yeah right) roster. If it means overpaying for Gibson, then so be it. But there is more to Gibson than just the LeBron factor.

Gibson was, without a doubt, one of the best shooters in the entire league last year; and when you have LeBron James, you need a couple of those. He shot an unreal 44% from 3 point range, which was tied for 5th best in the league. Not only that but he shot a decent clip from the field and shot a very nice percentage from the free-throw line. The thing I like best is the growth that we saw from Gibson. Yes he did average almost double the minutes but he basically improved in every statistical category possible. And thatís really encouraging, coming from a kid who just turned 22 in February. People say heís not much more than a jump-shooter and that certainly is the case but I think we saw the potential for him to be more than that last year. Yeah it was only in flashes but I donít expect a kid that young to be a complete player right away. Itíll take time for him to truly develop into a well-rounded player but I think he definitely will with his skill set and work ethic.

On the other hand, we saw an average defensive player (because of his size) and someone who may be injury prone. Defensively, Iím not really concerned about it. I think under Mike Brown heíll be fine and heíll find ways to hide Gibson. Plus we were one of the best defensive teams in the league the last couple of years with him, so I donít think heís holding us down that much.

Injuries, thatís another story. Now Iíd like to see him stay healthy for more than 70 games a year and o far he hasnít been able to do that. That small frame of his certainly doesnít help you ease the pain either.. Now it has only been two seasons but you certainly have to question his ability to stay healthy.

The bottom line is that I think the Cavs need to do whatever they possibly can to re-sign this guy. Whether it be the full MLE for 5 years, then so be it. Yeah he may just be a role player but his relationship with LeBron is an underlying issue that cannot be overlooked.

Delonte West, G - 31 MPG, 10.3 PPG, 4.5 APG, 3.7 RPG, 44% FG%, 36.7% 3PT%, 78.8% FT%

What a pleasant surprise he was last year. Now I see why Danny Ferry has liked this kid for so long and why heís targeted him as a guy heíd like to bring in. While West has some holes in his game, heís definitely the type of kid you love to see on your team. Heís a very solid all-around player (jack-of-all trades, master of none) who fits the type of point guard that we need on this team. Heís a guy who can shoot well, penetrate, set up other players, play off the ball, play on the ball, defend, etc. You name it, he does it. Now that doesnít mean heís the perfect player but heís quite the fit here.

West has indicated that heíd like to come back to Cleveland and Iím sure he probably will. But what will be interesting is if any other team offers him anything substantial because West is in a unique position here in Cleveland. Not many other teams can offer him a chance to play with a guy like LeBron and be the starting point guard on a contending team. Now that remains to be seen if heíll be starting come the first game of the season, but for now itís his job.

As long as Westís demands donít get out of hand, I think youíll likely see him back in a Cavs uniform next year. Heís too young, too productive and too good of a fit to turn away.

Right now I think West and Gibson are letting the market play itself out. So far guys like Jose Calderon, Beno Udrih, etc., have already signed their nice sized contracts and Iím sure that West and Gibson are getting happy about the way that itís going so far. Now Iím not saying that theyíre comparable players but what I am saying is that their agents will probably approach the Cavs with similar deals in mind.

I hope this doesnít drag on like it did last year. I think both players are smart enough to sign early and get it over with. They saw what happened with Varejao and Pavlovic and how it affected them basically the whole season. Iím willing to bet theyíll get something done within a week or so.

Now onto the Cavs unrestricted free agents:

Devin Brown, G/F - 22.6 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 2.2 APG, 3.3 RPG, 40.9% FG%, 30.8% 3PT%, 75.4% FT%

Brown was certainly a nice role player last year and provided the Cavs with some good minutes throughout the season. I think he was one of Ferryís better moves. Ferry always seems to make these small, under-the-radar type of acquisitions (like the Flip Murray one). Devin was another one of those jack-of-all trades, master of none guys. While that isnít bad, itís not that great either.

As far as Brown returning, I think you can pretty much kiss him goodbye. After missing a practice during the post-season and basically blowing off Mike Brown and the whole coaching staff, I donít expect Mike Brown to want him back. Devin never gave an explanation as to why he was missing from the practice and then on top of that he never apologized for what he did. Like I said, I doubt Mike wants a guy who totally disrespected him and the entire coaching staff. Unless they kiss and make up, which I doubt will happen, donít expect Devin back next year.

The Cavs will likely find another veteran guard/forward to replace him, so no biggie.

Dwayne Jones, F/C - 8.4 MPG, 1.4 PPG, 2.5 RPG, 53.2% FG%, 48.3% FT%

Címon, do I really need to waste my time talking about Jones? I think we all know that there is a 0% chance of us retaining Jones with us already having 8 big men on the roster (Ilgauskas, Wallace, Smith, Varejao, Hickson, Jackson, Allred, Kaun). Not only that but he flat-out sucks. This was his second year as roster fodder and I think his journey ends here. Although, I do wish him luck.

So right now it looks like the West and Gibson will be back while Jones and Brown will be gone. Not really news but at least our roster will be improved from last year.

For news about West, Gibson, Brown, Jones and other free agents linked to the Cavs, make sure to always check Cavalier Attitude.

MVN (http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/07/05/cavs-fa-yay-or-nay/)
Good break down on what the Cavs are facing and what we could be looking at for a roster next year starting the season.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
I hope West and Gibson don't want a lot of money. I really don't know what I would do if I were in Ferry's shoes and they did.. Neither of them are incredible but both are very solid. So its hard to say where you draw the line. I think not signing Devin Brown is good because he really didn't have a good season compared to his one before with Hornets. Dwayne Jones has no chance with Hickson and Jackson.. Even if we trade Varejao we have plenty of big men which is nice because thats a valued position in the NBA that depth is nice to have.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
West & Gibson are going to ant big, long term deals. But we shouldn't go past 3 years for either. It would be a mistake to go any longer than that, IMO.

EdTheRevelator
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I like Boobie, but I'd rather let them both go than overpay for them.

TheLogical
07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Boobie is super fast but inconsistent. If he wants to be over payed release him he's a backup player at best AT THIS MOMENT

Sbank
07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Boobie is super fast but inconsistent. If he wants to be over payed release him he's a backup player at best AT THIS MOMENT

Or we let him go since he a restricted free agent and do a sign and trade. But if we could get Gibson and West to sign a 2 or 3 year deal we be good shape imo .

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Or we let him go since he a restricted free agent and do a sign and trade. But if we could get Gibson and West to sign a 2 or 3 year deal we be good shape imo .

I think Ferry will sign both just because he hasn't had much luck improving on his roster. It would not be good if all we did this off-season is lose West or Gibson.

IndiansFan337
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I think Ferry will sign both just because he hasn't had much luck improving on his roster. It would not be good if all we did this off-season is lose West or Gibson.

It will limit our ability to improve in the future if he signs them for more than 2-3 years. But both players will think they deserve a longer contract than that because they "were an important part of our team's success", just as Pavlovic & Varejao claimed last summer.....And look how that turned out for us....

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
It will limit our ability to improve in the future if he signs them for more than 2-3 years. But both players will think they deserve a longer contract than that because they "were an important part of our team's success", just as Pavlovic & Varejao claimed last summer.....And look how that turned out for us....

So what should the plan be if lets say West wants more then 2-3 years?

Sbank
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
So what should the plan be if lets say West wants 2-3 years?

If it longer then 2 or 3 years let we do a sign and trade to get a pick for him since he a restricted agent.

Buckwheat
07-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I expect to see Gibson, West, and Brown.

Wouldn't be too shocked if we kept Boobie, and not West. I really love both, though.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I expect to see Gibson, West, and Brown.

Wouldn't be too shocked if we kept Boobie, and not West. I really love both, though.

There is a very good chance we don't sign Devin Brown.

enabring
07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Devin Brown will not be signed.

IndiansFan337
07-09-2008, 12:50 PM
So what should the plan be if lets say West wants more then 2-3 years?
Then we should then let them sign an offer sheet from another team, if any are desperate enough to offer more than 2-3 years....And then we will have 7 days to decide whether to match it or renounce their rights.

Devin Brown will not be signed.
I doubt he wants to come back after the way Mike Brown treated him when the playoffs rolled around this year...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=IndiansFan337;5792238]Then we should then let them sign an offer sheet from another team, if any are desperate enough to offer more than 2-3 years....And then we will have 7 days to decide whether to match it or renounce their rights.[QUOTE]

So basically just negotiate with them if they do ask for more then 3 years.

enabring
07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I doubt he wants to come back after the way Mike Brown treated him when the playoffs rolled around this year...[/QUOTE]

from what I understand, I doubt the coach wants him back.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I doubt he wants to come back after the way Mike Brown treated him when the playoffs rolled around this year...

from what I understand, I doubt the coach wants him back.[/QUOTE]

Overall there just isn't a chance of him coming back.