PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury to back up Rondo?

Global Celtic
07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Honestly, I don't think it will happen but Danny suprised us recently by signing (J.R.Giddens) or at least contacting (Chris Andersen) players with a troubled past but looking for a chance to play in a championship team...

And we can never underestimate talent...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2008/07/jettisoning-marbury-is-positiv.html

Gordy
07-06-2008, 01:46 PM
I think it would be a good place for Marbury to come. I was also surprised about Drafting J.R. I would welcome him in if Danny signed him. But I agree, I dont think it will happen. But a good thought though.......

marinog11
07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I think they will keep Cassell at back up... with a full offseason to learn the offense I think he will do fine... Atleast I hope.... I never liked Starbury...

DiehardJaysFan
07-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I used to like Marbury but I wouldn't want him to backup Rondo now. Bad news for chemistry IMO

kvrnm
07-06-2008, 08:45 PM
jr giddens is a rookie, he will be reprimended by the vets if he is out of line, and he will listen cus he is a rookie, and looks up to the older guys. stephon wont, he is a problem, he cant be compared to jr giddens

AgentViet
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Marbury wouldn't be the brightest guy for Rondo to learn from. Cassell is a solid back up and is a much option than Starbury.

Wake's Fastball
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
There's a difference between a troubled past like Andersen and that of Marbury. Andersen's is based more on stupidity, and Marbury's is based on his piss-poor attitude.

boston_fan_ct
07-06-2008, 09:59 PM
did you watch him play the last few seasons? and if you, you still want him to come to Boston as a Celtic fan. No thanks from me. No drive.

vince wilfort
07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't want him. He's shown he's not a team player and if he's playing that big a role, he can easily ruin the team.

X12Celtics3
07-06-2008, 10:55 PM
The Celtics do not need a guy who will ruin our team chemistry. On the court, he will throw up bad shots and ignore his teammates Off the court, he will open his big mouth at the wrong time and get in trouble. He will bark at teammates unnecessarily, and just won't help us at all..

rufo4100
07-06-2008, 11:42 PM
I hate Marbury and he is a cancer. WHerever Marbury plays turns to ****. Seriously. I wouldnt take the guy if he'd come here for vet minimum and I bet Ainge has no interest.

Ewagner
07-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I can imagine marbury coming to boston. i'm sure some team will bring him in as a starter. i live in NY and watch most of his games. he's not a come off the bench kind of guy. even if he wanted to re-do his imagine i'm sure another veteran team would take a shot on him to start. i could see him going to golden state to take over for baron davis.

rufo4100
07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I can imagine marbury coming to boston. i'm sure some team will bring him in as a starter. i live in NY and watch most of his games. he's not a come off the bench kind of guy. even if he wanted to re-do his imagine i'm sure another veteran team would take a shot on him to start. i could see him going to golden state to take over for baron davis.

I agree...not a come off the bench guy. I think you might see him in Miami or Washington if he gets his walking papers...just a guess though.

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I think many around here are failing to realize that Starbury (in his mind) is 2nd to none.

I couldn't see Stephon agreeing to back up a younger guy with a horrid, yet developing jump shot. Unless he realizes that his career is falling into pieces and this is his last resort.

D-PHINSfan4life
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
I think many around here are failing to realize that Starbury (in his mind) is 2nd to none.

I couldn't see Stephon agreeing to back up a younger guy with a horrid, yet developing jump shot. Unless he realizes that his career is falling into pieces and this is his last resort.

i agree he threw a fit when he had to come off the bench this season why would it be different in Boston?

berserker74
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
i wouldn't touch marbury with a 500 foot pole. this guy is a cancer. for all of his talent, every team he has gone to has gotten horribly worse when he has gotten there.

i'm sorry, but there is something to be said for karma and unfortunately when it comes to marbury, it's all just bad.

if you want to maintain a championship caliber team, stay the hell away from marbury, period!!!!!

bagwell368
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Cassell or Marbury or the "gas pipe"

Give me the pipe...........

Crunchy12489
07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Cassell or Marbury or the "gas pipe"

Give me the pipe...........

More like Oxygen tank if you keep Cassell :laugh2:

BRADY4MVP
07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
NO NO NO

chemistry is a good thing, why destroy it>?

Rhyming Rebel
07-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Marbury is a cancer

BRADY4MVP
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Marbury is a cancer

that might actually be an insult to cancer

Global Celtic
07-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Someone in NY is desperate to put Marbury in Boston.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07082008/sports/knicks/steph_making_his_point_118998.htm

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Why take the risk? This wouldn't be an experiment like Randy Moss with the Pats where they could just cut him if it didn't work out...

Chemistry was such an important factor in the Celtics' championship run. Bringing an ego into the locker room has no chance of helping this team. What worked for the Celtics this year will continue to work as long as they can maintain their core (which they will) and add players who share a similar mindset to the existing ones. Marbury does not fit that description.

y2shoes
07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
No thank you, Stephon cant keep is yap shut and would disrupt the locker room.

bostncelts34
07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
i dont care either way. I dont think hed be as much as a "cancer" as you guys think. Thats what the media puts in all of your heads. Are you in the locker room with him personally?

Also, when your on a horrible team, of course your attitude sucks. KG likes him, so obviously he was not a cancer when he was in Minny. If he accepted a contract like Sam's. Why the hell not? Hes a much b etter backup to rondo than cassell is.

I do how ever, dont think we need him. I still want to see pruitt get some minutes, and now with giddens as well at the guard spot

HOZ THE KNICK
07-09-2008, 07:48 PM
take him please!!!!

97'bulls
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
**** NO! Who wants that cancer on a championship team, no thanks.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
NO....id like ta c pruitt get some mins this yr

celticfan
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Unless marbury took a big pay cut of about 15 mill and only stayed for 1 year, I guess.

CelticTradition
07-10-2008, 08:45 PM
i am shocked at how often there seems to be a thread about "will we take marbury". ummmmm................NO.

marbury couldn't even check telfair when he was on the team. whats worse is he will take more shots than sam did (and yall claimed sam was hogging the ball). any guy that is willing to get in a fight with his coach and threaten to blackmale him is BAD NEWS. marbury should be kicked out the league

Global Celtic
07-11-2008, 10:05 AM
AH AH AH :)

"Paul Pierce advises Knicks to dump Stephon Marbury in rebuild"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/07/10/2008-07-10_paul_pierce_advises_knicks_to_dump_steph.html

BTownTeamsRKing
07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
personally i dont like the idea, but Pierce thinks it would work then maybe

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
wtf is Pierce thinking?

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
if we get him, we won't repeat.

kbrill21
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
I know Rondo is the starter but......If Marbury were the starting PG on this team, we would be back in the lottery. This guy is horrible for chemistry, and it a Me first player. Don't need him.

asomen
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I know Rondo is the starter but......If Marbury were the starting PG on this team, we would be back in the lottery. This guy is horrible for chemistry, and it a Me first player. Don't need him.

Guys, think logically about this. How would this mess up the chemistry...if the face of the Celtics franchise...is lobbying for the guy. Imagine the reaction around the clubhouse would be if Pierce lobbies for Marbury and the Celtics actually land him

Nowhere does that mess up chemistry...it might only make it stronger. If Marbury signs on with the Celtics he obviously knows he isn't the face of the team like he has been everywhere else. His name in the NBA is tarnished so maybe he just wants a fresh start and to be a role player to make a run for the title.

Arac
07-11-2008, 03:11 PM
I can actually understand the hate this guy gets, he does have an imense ego. But maybe if he joins his former teamate, and as asomen said realize that he will be a reserve and won't be a franchise player, maybe he won't mess the chemistry up.

It's risky to give him a shot, but maybe, if there are no other options, he could adjust to us. On a team option deal though.

raiderdell
07-11-2008, 06:24 PM
he does not deserve to wear the celtic green, its that plain and simple!

JimmyMal450
07-12-2008, 10:16 PM
If Marbury is bought out, he has said he'd like to go play for the Celtics, based on his relationship with Kevin Garnett, the team's need for a backup point guard, and the obvious chance to win a title.

Link:rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=414)

JimmyMal450
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
If waived, Marbury has told confidants the Celtics are on his radar because of his ties with Kevin Garnett and Boston's need of point-guard depth, though Paul Pierce didn't sound like a fan.

Source:New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008/sports/knicks/pressure_point_119536.htm)

Global Celtic
07-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Ok, this is starting to look like a soap opera.

:)

69centers
07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Unless he took a monster pay cut, we couldn't afford him.

berserker74
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
if he's not a cancer, then explain to me why every other team he has ever played for couldn't wait to get his butt out of their organization.

he has a big mouth. he's not a team player, and he is not a winner.

those are the cold hard facts, not opinion, but facts.

spin it any way you want, but if i was running a franchise, this guy would be as far away from it as possible!

balla4life22
07-13-2008, 02:00 PM
i think with a team like boston, it wouldnt affect the chemistry of the team at all. I think the organization would change him instead. this could be really good for the celtics if he decides to give up his ego and sacrifice for the team.

Jersey Reps
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
marbury is cancer

BostonFan 53
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Absolutly. Not at the 21+ mil he's getting paid, but maybe a piece of the MLE or leauge min absolutly. He wasnts a championship, and won't get it in NY, so hes not even playing....Can you blame him?

Give this guy incentive to play well and he will succeed.

DieHard CELT
07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Marbury wouldn't be the brightest guy for Rondo to learn from. Cassell is a solid back up and is a much option than Starbury.

cassell sucks. All he did when he got the ball was shoot..marbury at least passes the ball and is a great slasher and shooter..he has had a problem with isiah but thats it..it would be great to have a player like marbury coming off the bench...

i also heard today on csn, that they were thinking about the possibility of getting him...

just imagine..

starting 5
rondo
perkins
allen
garnett
pierce

at the 2 min mark of the 1st quarter coming in
posey for pierce
marbury for rondo
powe/davis for perk but this would happen sooner
allen probably still playing
KG maybe still in there

its like when you take out your 3 all stars you're still bringing in another in marbury...

p.s. giddens = 2008-2009 slam dunk champion if james white doesnt participate

Agent Arenas
07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Marbury will be a good fit for the C's. With him surrounded with well repected vets (KG, Pierce, Allen) he will learn what it means to be a Celtic, and eventually he will accept taking the backseat to Rondo.

KiLLaHDiCe12
07-15-2008, 09:45 AM
if you ask me , i think if you obtain Stephon, you just got your sixth man of the year, and this is coming from a sixers fan who is high on lou williams. your gonna win title again, i love my team but we are still a year and a shooter away from maybe challenging you guys.

Edwin
07-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Hell yeah. this guy can still play. It would be better for him too, he doesnt have to be the leader anymore like he was in new york. He''ll help out this team like steve franvis is going to help houston when gets off the injury. A lot of these players that were in new york were good players until they settled in new york.lol. But if cassell is coming back we should keep him instead bcuz he could still help train rondo.lol

TrueFan23
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
u can't have a back-up that makes 20 mil a year

Corey
07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
He wouldn't be making 20m/year if he came here, Silly.

If he gets cut, and comes here for the minimum to backup Rondo..I can't really complain. It's worth a shot.

Global Celtic
07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Since we're in the luxury tax, money is a factor.
Don't think Marbury's a winner (Maggette proved the same thing).

lil'papi
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Not sure on this one. The Celtics think he is a good guy in a bad situation then maybe he is. I know he has done some good things for the less fortunate. The media can portray anyone anyway they like.

I know he can play.

Can he fit in is the question?

I'd imagine Posey and the posse would keep his head on straight if not... buh bye. He is a nice back up for RR.
redemption sometimes motivates......

Arac
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Knicks signed guard Anthony Roberson, that could be it for Stephon.

Anthony Roberson is apparently a shooter too.

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Stephon is horrible

bbhsginner25
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
why not give him a shot at the league min. if he does not work, we could just waive him mid-season. as long as he knows that he would be coming off the bench and not expect 35 min a game, we could make it work. its a good low risk high reward decision.

what ever happened to that one kid who got banned for saying the celtics should get marbury in every post. anyone remember his name?

Gilbert>TheRest
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
u should sign him hes still good he was just getting paid to much with new york

JimmyMal450
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
why not give him a shot at the league min. if he does not work, we could just waive him mid-season. as long as he knows that he would be coming off the bench and not expect 35 min a game, we could make it work. its a good low risk high reward decision.

what ever happened to that one kid who got banned for saying the celtics should get marbury in every post. anyone remember his name?

His name was CelticPride I think, he was banned for life :D

I just remember how much of an idiot that guy was.

JimmyMal450
07-16-2008, 11:58 PM
The Knicks have agreed in principle on a two-year contract to sign free-agent guard Anthony Roberson, with the deal likely to expediate the departure of Stephon Marbury, according to the New York Post.

The signing will give the Knicks 16 players with guaranteed contracts, which is one over the limit. They may buyout Marbury by the end of the week, while the team has also considered waiving center Jerome James, who played five minutes last season and still has knee pain.

Source:rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=414&nc=0)

Faneik
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
i think with a team like boston, it wouldnt affect the chemistry of the team at all. I think the organization would change him instead. this could be really good for the celtics if he decides to give up his ego and sacrifice for the team.

That's the main concern...Does he have the ability to do that?

ALL Celtics players have to play defense... Is he able to do that?

If he's bought out, and comes here cheap, and sign a contract with team option, meaning if Doc doesn't like him he can be released, I'd give him a chance.

I voted no b/c I don't have an answer to the questions above...