PDA

View Full Version : No love for Isles

Sbank
07-06-2008, 12:22 PM
No love for Isles, Oilers, Thrashers
The NHL now has three franchises that operate in free agent no-mans land. The Islanders, Atlanta and Edmonton simply cannot get players to sign unless absurd money is thrown at them, and in the case of Marian Hossa leaving approximately $90M on the table from the Oilers, not even then. Indeed, we're told the threat that had the most effect in Tampa's ownership's ultimately successful attempt to coerce Dan Boyle into waiving his no-trade clause four months after passing up free agency in order to attain it, was, "If you don't, we'll put you on waivers and you'll be playing in Atlanta."

New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07062008/sports/rangers/wild_blueshirt_yonder_118709.htm?page=2)

NY MeTro StAr
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
damn right, no love for the isles anywhere; fighting for them is hard work

Ignoring the ancient Colosseum, we are technically in New York, Long Island is a great place to live, and we have some parts to a good team. If any1 wants the benefits of NYC w/o the hassle, the Isles are for you. Plus, wat little fans that show up (due to minimal seating) are rabid diehards that know much about the glory years. Combined with the hatred of the other local teams that is necessary for hockey to survive out there, it makes for good fans.

letsgorangers27
07-11-2008, 05:44 PM
damn right, no love for the isles anywhere; fighting for them is hard work

Ignoring the ancient Colosseum, we are technically in New York, Long Island is a great place to live, and we have some parts to a good team. If any1 wants the benefits of NYC w/o the hassle, the Isles are for you. Plus, wat little fans that show up (due to minimal seating) are rabid diehards that know much about the glory years. Combined with the hatred of the other local teams that is necessary for hockey to survive out there, it makes for good fans.

not to be mean but its not minimal seating that causes lack of fans showing up its cause their not that good. too even get near half capacity they offer like $10 tix to hs/college students. i took advantage of that a bunch of times last year to see teams like montreal,pittsburgh, and washington.

NY MeTro StAr
07-11-2008, 10:20 PM
lol i tried to get in for $10 but apparently 6 pm is too late for a 7:30 game and I traveled 2 hours to get there :mad:

letsgorangers27
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM
thats bs i've show up @ 7 for a 730 game and got a ticket. they might of ran out of those seats.

marco193
07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
When I moved to NC and went to an Isles/Canes game I wasn't expecting to see anyone in Orange and Blue besides myself. To my amazement there was a very nice turnout of Islander fans, so we do have a terrific fan base. The problem is our facility and the marketing. We'll never be able to compete with the rangers in either department since we don't have the big bucks to throw around on chumps who don't pan out and splash our players all over Madison Ave. Give it time and a front office that sticks to it's guns as far as developing a playoff contender, unlike the Milbury regime, and then we will be able to finance a new Coliseum and will take our rightful place as THE best team in the metro area, past and present.

ChrisAnchors
07-13-2008, 11:52 AM
i like you optimism marco... go isles

NY MeTro StAr
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
yes!!!! and I remember watching that 4-1 victory over the canes where "Let's go Islanders!" drowned out the Canes fans :)