PDA

View Full Version : Have the Lakers even contacted Maggette?

LAStory
07-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Maggette shares the same agent as Kobe and DFish, I would like to think the lakers would have considered entertain the possibility of signing him. Maggette and Kobe are good friends. No reports or anything. He is definitely worth the full MLE, well worth paying him the luxury tax. A starting lineup with Fisher, Kobe, Maggette, Gasol, Bynum sounds great, with LO coming of the bench, or even trade him for a few role players.

Raidaz4Life
07-06-2008, 10:13 AM
it would actually make a lot of sense if Maggette wanted to stay in LA

SouljahPhil...
07-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I don't think they did..I hope they will..

gagnefan38
07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
We need DEFENSE and Corey isn't it.

Ragun
07-06-2008, 10:49 AM
they probably have and trying ot bring him in. he would be a really good fit.

SouljahPhil...
07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Who do you want? posey I dont like him...I'd prefer maggete..
Hope we sign him and he does not go to the spurs or c's...

marques724
07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I doubt they did if they did it would have been reported

Reclaim
07-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm pretty sure management hasn't contacted him at all. Perhaps it hasn't even crossed Mitch's mind yet... If he ends up going to the Spurs or Boston, I'm gonna :guns:

crew158
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
From what ive seen everybody wants a SF that can hit threes to spread the floor for our offense. Mags is not a great shooter or defender. I dont want people who put up good #s for crappy teams. Let him go and languish in GS when they dont get Brand.

Vidball
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
^^Maggette is a good shooter. He doesn't have the D, but he is the very best player in the game (except for maybe Wade) at getting bigs in foul trouble. Maggette averages more FTA per game then Kobe. If we had a team with Bynum, Gasol, Kobe, Maggette and Fisher on the court we would be in the bonus all the time and the other teams would get in serious foul trouble. Also, Maggette is great at cleaning up trash around the rim and cutting/slashing. We would be missing D still, but gaining A LOT!

Pearljammer II
07-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Lakers can not afford another 14 million+ player on the roster.... this is not a video game/fantasy bball league... this is a business & you cant have Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum & Maggette all making 12-14 mill+ on the same roster... even if Odom was traded or not resigned, Maggette doesn't seem like the type of player Lakers need.

Storch
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
^^Maggette is a good shooter. He doesn't have the D, but he is the very best player in the game (except for maybe Wade) at getting bigs in foul trouble. Maggette averages more FTA per game then Kobe. If we had a team with Bynum, Gasol, Kobe, Maggette and Fisher on the court we would be in the bonus all the time and the other teams would get in serious foul trouble. Also, Maggette is great at cleaning up trash around the rim and cutting/slashing. We would be missing D still, but gaining A LOT!

:clap:
You stole what i was going to write. well said!

We need more foul shots and maggette would definitely get his. The guy's a beast at slashing and he doesnt care about contact.

I wouldnt trade any player on our starting 5 for him tho. Odom is better than maggette.

static_inferno
07-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Lakers can not afford another 14 million+ player on the roster.... this is not a video game/fantasy bball league... this is a business & you cant have Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum & Maggette all making 12-14 mill+ on the same roster... even if Odom was traded or not resigned, Maggette doesn't seem like the type of player Lakers need.
trust me, Buss has the money.

Tapptout
07-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Plus it would be for the MLE, the same as Luke Walton is making......what a shame

matrixskillz
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Do you really think Cupcake was able to put 2 and 2 together? I highly doubt it.

ratatat
07-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Maggette shares the same agent as Kobe and DFish, I would like to think the lakers would have considered entertain the possibility of signing him. Maggette and Kobe are good friends. No reports or anything. He is definitely worth the full MLE, well worth paying him the luxury tax. A starting lineup with Fisher, Kobe, Maggette, Gasol, Bynum sounds great, with LO coming of the bench, or even trade him for a few role players.

were not getting him for the mid level, i dont know why people say this. if vlad gets signed for the full mid level what makes you think maggette will. vlad sucks ball. maggette is very solid

Lakersfan2483
07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Sign Maggette for the mid-level exception and if he plays well and fits it, sign him to an extention for the next few years.

Lakersfan2483
07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
If Corey wants to win a title he should come play for the Lakers.

Vidball
07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Unless he signs with PHI or GS he is only getting the MLE. Getting him for the MLE is not out of the question at all. All the other teams that are linked to him...BOS, DET, S.A. are all offering the MLE just like the Lakers can do.

BlondeBomber41
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah Im sure Corey Maggette would love to come to a team in which he would play behind Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom. The Lakers arent going to bring Lamar Odom off the bench, his rebounding and play making is more important than what Maggette does. He is a better player than Maggette...

Tymathee
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I've said it before. Why do we want Maggette? All he can do is score, his defense is lacking. This team scored nearly 110 ppg last year so out scoring the other team isn't our problem it's stopping them from scoring. You dont lose by 39 cuz you can't make shots, you lose by 39 cuz you could'nt stop them from making shots.

Remember when we played the Spurs? they'd go on long offensive droughts but they'd still be in the game cuz they played such good defense. So what this team needs is another stopped not another scorer...

Plus, Maggett's a 3 and we've already got Odom, Walton, Vlad and Ariza there, if we sign Maggette, even if he splits at the two sometimes, we've still got a load. Also, they want to resign Sasha. So I serously doubt you'll see any Maggette rumors.

Just because you see someone you like on the free agent block doesn't mean that they would fit with this team. You guys make it sound so easy "why dont the lakers just sign maggette!" well, cuz if the only thing people are offering is the MLE, then he's going to go to where he knows he'll get 30+ minutes a game, so i doubt you'll see him on the Lakers or Celtics. If he were smart he'd sign with the spurs (if the spurs were smart they'd offer him a contract." We can't "just trade" or "just sign" someone, there's so much more...

I did a thread about "Do U trust Mitch?" And 80%+ of you said yes, so, if this is the case, why do you question him so much on why doesn't he do this or that...just a thought, think about it.

dsonLAL24
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
If Brand re-signs with the Clippers then the Wariorrs have a better chance then anyone beacuse they could offer him about 10 mil a year. Other then that i hope Pelinka tells Maggette playin with Fish and Kobe would be smart a move.

Lakersfan2483
07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I've said it before. Why do we want Maggette? All he can do is score, his defense is lacking. This team scored nearly 110 ppg last year so out scoring the other team isn't our problem it's stopping them from scoring. You dont lose by 39 cuz you can't make shots, you lose by 39 cuz you could'nt stop them from making shots.

Remember when we played the Spurs? they'd go on long offensive droughts but they'd still be in the game cuz they played such good defense. So what this team needs is another stopped not another scorer...

Plus, Maggett's a 3 and we've already got Odom, Walton, Vlad and Ariza there, if we sign Maggette, even if he splits at the two sometimes, we've still got a load. Also, they want to resign Sasha. So I serously doubt you'll see any Maggette rumors.

Just because you see someone you like on the free agent block doesn't mean that they would fit with this team. You guys make it sound so easy "why dont the lakers just sign maggette!" well, cuz if the only thing people are offering is the MLE, then he's going to go to where he knows he'll get 30+ minutes a game, so i doubt you'll see him on the Lakers or Celtics. If he were smart he'd sign with the spurs (if the spurs were smart they'd offer him a contract." We can't "just trade" or "just sign" someone, there's so much more...

I did a thread about "Do U trust Mitch?" And 80%+ of you said yes, so, if this is the case, why do you question him so much on why doesn't he do this or that...just a thought, think about it.

Maggette would get significant time on the court. La would be able to mix and match their lineups quite often.

Big Lineup:

Kobe
Maggette
Lamar
Pau
Bynum

Traditional
Fisher
Kobe
Lamar
Pau
Bynum

Lakersfan2483
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Maggette would get more playing time in San Antonio, but if he wanted to come play with the lakers, I would welcome it.

dsonLAL24
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Maggette would get more playing time in San Antonio, but if he wanted to come play with the lakers, I would welcome it.

If i was maggette i would take advantage of this free agency and wait for the BIG contract. When its all said and done Maggette will sign with the Warriors IMO.

LakerfaninKY
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Who cares - Maggette is not the player we need. Let Boston sign him if they want. He will come off the bench there and make less money, which would be dumb on his part (since he was a starter in LA and made more money). If Boston signs him, they cannot afford Posey, which would then put us in position to get the player we do need.

lalakobe24
07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
lol maggete

he sucks

LakerfaninKY
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Do you really think Cupcake was able to put 2 and 2 together? I highly doubt it.

Wow - I thought we were done with the "Cupcake" and "Mitch sucks" crap. Seriously dude get some perspective. The man reassembled a team that got us back to the Finals within 4 years after trading Shaq, and was in the running for Exec of the Year. I think at this point we should assume he knows what he is doing.

lalakobe24
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow - I thought we were done with the "Cupcake" and "Mitch sucks" crap. Seriously dude get some perspective. The man reassembled a team that got us back to the Finals within 4 years after trading Shaq, and was in the running for Exec of the Year. I think at this point we should assume he knows what he is doing.

cupcake still ucks he just got lucky

every gm gets lucky there all the same some are just fortunate

Vidball
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Plus, Maggett's a 3 and we've already got Odom, Walton, Vlad and Ariza there, if we sign Maggette, even if he splits at the two sometimes, we've still got a load.

The problem with that is Odom isn't a 3 and Vlad/Walton/Ariza aren't starter material. If Ariza adds to his range he might be, but at this time we have no true SF who can start. IMO Maggette would fill a bigger need (a true SF) than Sasha (Kobe's backup).

Tymathee
07-06-2008, 09:33 PM
The problem with that is Odom isn't a 3 and Vlad/Walton/Ariza aren't starter material. If Ariza adds to his range he might be, but at this time we have no true SF who can start. IMO Maggette would fill a bigger need (a true SF) than Sasha (Kobe's backup).

I agree it doesn't matter if someone's a starter or a true SF, the fact is that's the position that they'll have on this team so between Odom ($14mil) Walton (5mil) Vlad (6mil) and ariza (2-3mil) what do you think will happen if we sign maggette to 5.8 mil? Someone gets traded yeah but we'd have to get back equal value unless the teams under the cap (odom to GS for 1st rnd pick?)

all i'm trying to do is put things into perspective and think like the Lakers front office is thinking. The fact is, if we sign Maggette and THEN we try and trade one or or two or three of our 3's we're going to get cheaped because the other team in the deal will know we're trying to get rid of excess players.

Anywho...like someone said above, Maggette isn't the type of player we need, I don't doubt that he won't help the team, he'll be nice especially coming off the bench but i just don't see it happening unless some trades happen first or sasha and or roni don't sign with us (if both dont come back, i see posey in purple and gold and 1 or 2 trades within the month)

rhensley3
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
i didnt ask him....did you? you know, i'll bet it hasnt even crossed the lakers minds! i wonder if they even know he's available! MY GOD....what if he wants us to call, and we dont!? :smoking:

SouljahPhil...
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
All i want is we sign corry..
dump luke and vlad for anything...
I dont care if its for a second rounder...
If oppurtunity arises trade odom and farmar for hinrich at td...
or trade lamar to any established player( a team looking for cap space will want him)

Iceman_9
07-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I dont think Mitch has contacted CM..

Tony_Starks
07-08-2008, 01:49 PM
For those wondering why we haven't heard anything keep in mind we didn't hear about the Gasol trade until it went down. If Lakers are looking at Posey Im sure they're look at Corey. Its just a matter of where he wants to play and how bad he wants to stay in LA.

purplen'gold81
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I dont think Mitch has contacted CM..

If they plan on keeping Lamar, I don't think they will.