PDA

View Full Version : David Stern's Tenure

CaptainCool79
07-06-2008, 03:45 AM
This is not meant to be a stern blasting topic, im just curious...what has he done to help this league:confused:? I personally can recall many instances where he's hurt the game (allegedly rigging games/donaghy, new ball, dress code, allowing the theft of seattle's team, etc) but i cannot think of one good thing he has done for the NBA. I honestly feel that David Stern is what's wrong with the NBA and can only pray for the day that the NBA moves forward under a new commish.

abe_froman
07-06-2008, 04:17 AM
what about the growth of the brand and popularity worldwide?

ARMIN12NBA
07-06-2008, 05:08 AM
what about the growth of the brand and popularity worldwide?

Popularity and worldwide recognition...Plus NBA Cares is a great foundation he developed.

Chronz
07-06-2008, 07:17 AM
No matter how good of a comish he is, he will always get booed. The dress code wasnt bad at all but people blew it up like wearing a suit to your job was so unheard of .

ra8erfan111
07-06-2008, 08:36 AM
One other thing...Imposing rule to not allow guys right out of high school to go pro. This could be good or bad depends on your opinion. As for me, I think it's bad because some of the greatest players have come straight from high school...Kobe, Lebron and K.G. are the biggest names that jump right out at me. So what does everyone else think?

prash
07-06-2008, 11:32 AM
The fact that the game is ref'd poorly and that he's allowed some seriously questionable franchise moves are the biggest things against him imo.

NoSense
07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
He's the best commish in pro sports IMO...

Gilbert>TheRest
07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
david stern isnt even dat bad people just over react

QuaLiThADoN
07-06-2008, 01:31 PM
This is not meant to be a stern blasting topic, im just curious...what has he done to help this league:confused:? I personally can recall many instances where he's hurt the game (allegedly rigging games/donaghy, new ball, dress code, allowing the theft of seattle's team, etc) but i cannot think of one good thing he has done for the NBA. I honestly feel that David Stern is what's wrong with the NBA and can only pray for the day that the NBA moves forward under a new commish.

well said my friend:clap:

Max Power
07-06-2008, 01:36 PM
He has been the commish for a long time. When he took over, the league was infested with coke-head lowlifes and playoff games were shown on tape delay after the local news.
Anyone with a tenure as long as Stern's is going to have some rough spots. But, the league has gone from a complete afterthought to a global cash cow. I am pretty sure the owners and players are pretty satisfied with his tenure.

abe_froman
07-06-2008, 03:07 PM
He has been the commish for a long time. When he took over, the league was infested with coke-head lowlifes and playoff games were shown on tape delay after the local news.
Anyone with a tenure as long as Stern's is going to have some rough spots. But, the league has gone from a complete afterthought to a global cash cow. I am pretty sure the owners and players are pretty satisfied with his tenure.
i guess some don't remember or realize where the league was when he came in as opposed to where it went through his tenure.alot of messed up things happened but to be totally void of doing any good???

_Sn1P3r_
07-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I really don't think the dress code is that bad. I just have problems with the games being rigged.

BH-Sports
07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Obviously you guys dont know the role of a commisioner.. its all business. Its not that easy. Plus, its not his decision if a team wants to move or a red secretly gambles behind his back.

ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS YOU GUYS THINK

CaptainCool79
07-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Cool. I'm glad you guys came up with some good examples. I agree with the NBA Cares foundation and things of that nature. One thing I'd like to point out is the dress code thing got looked into a little much haha. I didn't mean it was a bad move i just meant that it wasn't important enough to warrant attention from the commish. I'll also admit that I'm sure its a harder gig than i make it seem. I think if you look at a timeline of what Stern has done, his accomplishments were quite a while ago and his failures seem to be more strung together and recent.

P.S. thanks for the props Qualithadon :D

FOBolous
07-07-2008, 03:29 AM
One other thing...Imposing rule to not allow guys right out of high school to go pro. This could be good or bad depends on your opinion. As for me, I think it's bad because some of the greatest players have come straight from high school...Kobe, Lebron and K.G. are the biggest names that jump right out at me. So what does everyone else think?

i think its good because the lack of fundamentals is a major problem for today's NBA player and that's never so obvious in the fact that NBA players have struggled to win first on the international stage. I think a year or 2 in college can improve upon a player's fundamentals and improve their ability to play in as team as a team member.

but yea...i think overall Stern is a good commish but he's just getting too old and maybe a little senile...time for him to step down and pass the torch.

cahawk
07-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Stern's deep involvement in the destruction of the Seattle franchise and his ridiculous handling & suing of the NBA ref gamabling & game fixing,he is a joke.

znick21
07-07-2008, 03:48 AM
i honestly thought he was doing an okay job until this whole sonics fiasco. after seeing his actions and how little he cared about the whole situation my opinion of him drastically changed.

i understand the league is a business first and foremost, but by sitting and standing pat while a storied franchise with 41 years of history, not to mention a championship, is being dragged to oklahoma city really represents everything that is wrong with professional sports.

and moving a team from the 12th biggest market to the 43rd biggest makes no business sense at all anyway and it doesn't take a genius to see that.

oh yeah and i'm totally against his whole vision to expand the league into europe. that has to be the dumbest idea i have ever heard in my entire life, but then again i'm not a business expert, just a person who carries a passion for sports.