PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap 101- Why we have to sign Andris and Monta last! 2009 FA's not an option!

IamTurboman
07-06-2008, 01:32 AM
I just want to clear of some Salary Cap stuff, I have had to say the same thing in multiple threads and it is getting a tad bit old.

WE ONLY HAVE CAP ROOM UNTIL MONTA AND ANDRIS SIGN
&
WE WILL NOT HAVE CAP ROOM NEXT YEAR!

About this years cap. We have a lot of cap room because 3/4 of the team are free agents. So currently we have loads of cap space. Baron opting out helped even more. What I want to convey though is that yes we have cap room...BUT only in certain situations!

The way we have money to get a big free agent is that we sign the Free agent, or make a trade soon. Andris and Monta have "Bird rights"! That means that we can sign them above the cap! That is why we can keep them and get a big free agent.

However... If some other team rushes us to sign Monta or Andris before we sign a free agent from another team, then our Cap room is WASTED, and we would not have the cap room to sign someone good! Again(sorry)...We have to sign the "Bird rights" guy's (Monta and Andris...and air france too, lol) after we sign the big free agent.

This leads to the second misconception I have seen on this board!

2009 Free Agents are probably not going to happen! We need to get someone real soon! Why? Because we will be over the cap when we sign Monta, Buike, and Andris, even if we don't get a big free agent this year. We can go over the cap this year (in the right situations) if we sign Monta and Andris last. Next year we will not have signifigant contracts coming off the table, so our cap will be maxed out! The reason we have cap room this year is because of all of the open contracts from our guy's being free agents!

I hope this helps answer some of your questions!
we sign another free agent!

IamTurboman
07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
ttt

Kdirt
07-07-2008, 12:29 AM
So technically the Clippers can sign Elton Brand and follow up with Corey Maggette aswell, correct?

The83rdWonder
07-07-2008, 12:37 AM
So technically the Clippers can sign Elton Brand and follow up with Corey Maggette aswell, correct?

Unless Maggette signs for the MLE, no. They renounced the rights to Brand and Maggette to make room for Baron.

IamTurboman
07-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Unless Maggette signs for the MLE, no. They renounced the rights to Brand and Maggette to make room for Baron.I heard that they have it that way to make sure teams didn't sign everyone with "out clauses" just to then get cap room to sign a FA and then re-sign your opted out free agents for more money. Also it could be a tampering issue as well.

GWarrior
07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
My understanding is that with the $9M of Foyle out of the books in 2009, that would put the Ws' under the cap.

Right now, we have $17.6M commited for 2009. (Jax $7.6M, Harrington 10M), with team options for Wright and Bellinelli for $4M. If Biedrens/Monta sign for $20M. The two new draft picks should be around $3M that would be 8 players at around $48M.

The first draft pick for 2009 would still leave 9 players for under $50M.

We would have 3 spots and have $12M. Assuming one veteran, the MLE, and a good free agent.