PDA

View Full Version : Pirates demote Gorzelanny to Triple-A

x_notorious
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Pirates optioned LHP Tom Gorzelanny to Triple-A Indianapolis. Now that Gorzelanny is being sent down, perhaps he'll go ahead and admit that he's been pitching hurt. It's certainly seemed that way throughout a season in which he's posted a 6.57 ERA and walked 61 batters in 87 2/3 innings. John Van Benschoten will join the rotation and start Wednesday in what could amount to a last shot for him.

rotoworld

Tragedy
07-05-2008, 08:58 PM
:pity:

Man, that's awful. He still has a lot of potential, so lets see if he can go down, get back on the right track, and get himself back up here.

1-800-STFU
07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
There goes the pride and joy of my high school, Marist in Chicago :(

jacquewho?
07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Well I know I'll be making the trip to Indianapolis to go see him pitch now at an Indians game :).

PiratesLife4Me
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I think this is a good move. In the past, the organization has been hesitant to send someone who would be considered a "big name" player down to the minors to work out the kinks in their game. Instead, they have kept them in the majors to work things out, and I would gamble that in at least a few cases, this was detrimental to the development of the player.

In sending guys like Gorzelanny and Paulino down to Triple-A, not only can they now go back to basics and improve their games in a less stressful environment, but it also sends a message to other players on the major league roster that if they don't perform, they could wind up getting demoted. It's a win-win situation for a young ball club like this. I like the attitude and the long-term-minded philosophy here.

TheMadCapper55
07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Sorry to reveive this old thread. But has anyone heard how Gorzo is doing in AAA? When is he suppose to get the call up?

jesusncleats
07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
0-1 4.50 ERA in 2 starts but has only pitched 6 total innings 8 hits 3 earned runs with a 6K 3 Walks

TheRedMarauder
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Tom Gorzelanny could rejoin the Pirates as soon as this weekend.

Gorzelanny tossed 1 2/3 scoreless innings Sunday at Triple-A is scheduled to make another appearance Tuesday at Double-A. At the latest, Gorzelanny would be a September call-up.

rotoworld