PDA

View Full Version : Will Elton Brand Pull a Boozer?

phlp_bj
07-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Carlos Boozer had a fantastic season for the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003-04 averaging 15.5 points and 11.4 rebounds. At the time, the Cavs had the option of keeping him under contract for $695,000 which was much less than his production said he deserved. Cleveland also had the option of allowing him to become a restricted free agent, which the organization ultimately opted to do.

This is where things started to get dicey.

The Cavaliers claimed Boozer reached a verbal agreement with the club to sign a six-year deal worth approximately $39 million. The only problem was once Boozer was officially available, his agent Rob Pelinka began receiving substantial interest from other teams around the league.

The team that showed the most interest in acquiring Boozer's services was the Utah Jazz. The Jazz signed Boozer to an offer-sheet of $70 million over six years. Already over the salary cap and armed only with the Mid-Level Exception, the Cavs decided not to match the offer.

The Cavaliers organization and the fans of Cleveland were left with a feeling of betrayal believing Boozer had given his word not to leave. However, Boozer has maintained such claims are false.

"There was no commitment," Boozer explained. "It's unfortunate how the turn of events went through the media. I'm not a guy that gives my word and takes it away. I think I've made that clear."

What we're left with four years later is still a case of he said, he said. Where does the truth really lie? No one can be totally certain.

Your friendly neighborhood columnist has had the opportunity to speak with Boozer at length on a number of occasions over the last three years and he is truly one of the real class acts in today's NBA. He's intelligent, grounded and just generally respectful of people. Hardly seems like the type to do what the Cavs claimed he did.

This information is pertinent today only because Elton Brand -- also one of the true class acts in the league -- finds himself in a similar situation right now. Brand opted out of the final year of his deal with the Clippers. About 24 hours after Brand exercised his early termination option, Baron Davis' camp announced they had come to a verbal agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers on a five-year deal reportedly worth $65 million.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9367

juggla53
07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
The rest of the leauge is still thanking god that lebron and boozer got seperated

Neely
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
^ Yeah.

MiamiHeat
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
The rest of the leauge is still thanking god that lebron and boozer got seperated
that would of been a crazy mix

bleedprple&gold
07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I didn't realize Lebron and Boozer actually played a season together when Lebron was a rookie. I'm surprised they didn't make the playoffs that year. Imagine if Boozer was still on the Cavs...

BlondeBomber41
07-05-2008, 08:46 PM

No kidding, Boozer has turned into a premiere NBA post scorer. Him with Lebron would be nasty.

I just for the first time realized he was a RFA. I always thought he just bolted.

In reality the Jazz only gave him an offer sheet, and the Cavs did not match. Those cheap bastards. I dont feel bad for them at all.

superkegger
07-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Brand is already unrestricted, it was a foolish move by the cavs not to match the jazz offer, regarldess of salary problems.

hockeypro68
07-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Brand is coming back no doubt about it. Baron Davis is confident, I'm confident. The Clippers are back in business:cool:

njnets
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
cavs fans should blame mangagement, not boozer. he got a way more attractive offer and took it. all they had to do was match it and then things would have been good. heck, they might of won a champioship last years. who knows what could of been if they (lebron and boozer) had stayed together.

_Sn1P3r_
07-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I think Elton is too much of a class act to pull off a "Boozer"? And just imagine, would the combo of James and Boozer have beaten the Spurs when they were in the Finals?

Cracka2HI!
07-06-2008, 01:35 AM
^ I hope so. In a perfect you can be a class guy and never really have it put to the test. Elton has had a price put on his "class". It's $20 million. Not something many people can pass up, reguardless of "class".

QuaLiThADoN
07-06-2008, 02:16 AM
no

QuaLiThADoN
07-06-2008, 02:16 AM
i think he is going to bring the same level of play maybe less then he did before injury...

Ragun
07-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Brand will come back.

BigEric
07-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Being a Kings fan, I hope to get him away from Sacramento, and as far as possible.

NoSense
07-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think he'll do so. Golden State hasn't much potential now without Baron...
Besides Booz didn't pull anything, it's just all made up....

QuaLiThADoN
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think he'll do so. Golden State hasn't much potential now without Baron...

lol true he just got to his full potential... as in brands case he was reaching his prime and an injury gave him a set back so who knows wuts going to happen with him

nickels2
07-06-2008, 01:48 PM
the clips actually turn out to be the better team out of the two now with baron, you gotta think brand wants to be on a successful team...but an extra 20 mil is pretty tough to pass up.

ridere46
07-07-2008, 01:57 AM
he's better off as a warrior

hockeypro68
07-07-2008, 02:31 AM
Hell no. He's been on the Clippers for 7 seasons now, and has made the playoffs only that once. He's a faithful clipper and knows that this is a really good time for them to make a push and a playoff run. EB will be back. Clippers are making the playoffs.

cali72888
07-08-2008, 03:22 PM

ur joking me rite, no potential, we have a 6"11' pf in brandan wright who will be a great player in this league, monte ellis next seasons chris paul, biedris led the league in field goal %, belinelli one of last seasons best forign prospects in the draft, 45 million in cap space, a 6'11" sg,sf rookie who is only 18 and still growing also has the best ball handling skills of the draft, and a hall of fame coach who made baron what he is today, not the mention the best fan base in the U.S., and one of the most exciting teams to watch and play for(according to players who have experienced nellie ball)
i would say we have alot more to offer then the clippers.....not to mention the lame duck coach you have in dunleavy......you think him and magette clashed, wait until you have a full season of baron on a bad team.:smoking: