PDA

View Full Version : If you were the GM...

CardzRule
07-05-2008, 06:45 PM
What moves would you make? Keeping in mind all times (in trades), the likelihood of all moves.

As for me, I'd be more active in minor/major call-up moves. Give Mather, Stavinoha, Rasmus, and Barden turns up here to keep a the fresh bodies flowing.

As for trades, get some big, exciting, impact bat that has energy.

Free agents: any pitching.

bignate14
07-05-2008, 07:05 PM
call up mather and/or mather
trade izzy
sign joe borowski low risk high reward plus we can fix him
add speed

Cyclonepower
07-05-2008, 07:05 PM
I would trade for a middle infielder who can hit, Maybe trade to get Grudzy back from the royals, Maybe Felipe Lopez from the Nats, or maybe make a big move and get someone like Michael Young from the Rangers or maybe even Brian Roberts from the O's

Tkais9009
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
i like getting Guzman, Grudz, or roberts for the IF.

I would call mather up and give barton back to clevland cause he is just takin up room on the 25 man roster.

I would trade for Uggla by using Anderson as the main chip since thats what they need the most

Vegasguy80
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM

I would call mather up and give barton back to clevland cause he is just takin up room on the 25 man roster.

I would trade for Uggla by using Anderson as the main chip since thats what they need the most

Not a bad idea. I like the idea of having a long term shortstop and not worrying about the position every year.

As for the guy that said keep rotating guys up from AAA, that makes no sense. It isn't smart to use their options and how do you expect them to get at bats? And you had to throw Rasmus in there huh? How's he doing this year?

rapjuicer06
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM

i agree with the barton part...he isn't very good. he needs to go back to Cleveland. as for people who could/should be traded for more help i'd say heres a list

Chris Duncan, Brad Thompson, Anthony Reyes, Bryan Anderson....i don't understand why we don't trade thompson when teams actually were interested in him...that completely blows my mind. and i say if we can't come to an extension with Lohse, we should trade him as well. we could probably package lohse dunc or anderson and pick up roberts. or hell, with that combo we could make a run at uggla.....i'd also really like to go after holliday too. if we could pick up one of them two i'd be ecstatic. maybe throw in duncan, reyes and thompson to try and get holliday and lohse and anderson to get uggla?? probably not, but that would be balls if it could happen

Tkais9009
07-06-2008, 01:28 AM
i agree with the barton part...he isn't very good. he needs to go back to Cleveland. as for people who could/should be traded for more help i'd say heres a list

Chris Duncan, Brad Thompson, Anthony Reyes, Bryan Anderson....i don't understand why we don't trade thompson when teams actually were interested in him...that completely blows my mind. and i say if we can't come to an extension with Lohse, we should trade him as well. we could probably package lohse dunc or anderson and pick up roberts. or hell, with that combo we could make a run at uggla.....i'd also really like to go after holliday too. if we could pick up one of them two i'd be ecstatic. maybe throw in duncan, reyes and thompson to try and get holliday and lohse and anderson to get uggla?? probably not, but that would be balls if it could happen

OMG that would be balls. to bad there is no chance in hell of it

RiffRaff
07-06-2008, 08:33 AM

Trade Lohse? If we do that we might as well wait until the off season and sign FA instead of making a run now.

RiffRaff
07-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Our biggest hole is relief pitching ... lefty relief pitching.

A front line starter would be nice if we could work out a deal ... I like Bedard ... Randy Wolf wouldn't be bad ... A.J. Burnett has pitched well, although health is an issue with him ... Oliver Perez might become available? Our SP has done well enough ... but you can always improve a rotation.

As far as OF ... Holliday is the only one out there that can really back Pujols up ... maybe Jason Bay ... or Adam Dunn who has 21 HR but a .228 AVG ... with Duncan some what on the come back trail, Ankiel, Ludwick and Skippy Shoes leading off for us ... any one else wouldn't be much of an improvement.

And the middle IF is the only place we have room to really make a drastic improvement. I have mentioned over and over my desire to trade for 2B Brian Roberts and there is Cristian Guzman at SS.

I expect the Cards to show interest in Jack Wilson b/c they always do ... and wouldn't be surprised if they took a stab at bringing Grudz back for a playoff run ... these guys both would be offensive upgrades ... of course Ryan(AAA), Miles, Izturis or Kennedy would have to go somewhere.

rapjuicer06
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
i'd keep miles up there, he's a good back up, i'd just get rid of kennedy and save izturis for defense....and i said get rid of lohse IF we can't resign him. if we can't resign him, we could get a solid player for him. we we have quite a few good pitchers who are capable of taking his spot as long as they get more run support meaning uggla who could help out in that department

RiffRaff
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
If we want to win this year we need Lohse. If he walks at the end of the year ... he just walks ... but we need him in our rotation now.

Don't get me wrong I would love to retain him but that might not happen until the off season.

CardinalRed4eva
07-06-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd keep the team as is, unless another team (sellers) offered a high priced players (with good value) for some of our top prospects....otherwise, I like the team as is. We're only 2 1/2 games behind the Cubs, and were not even at the allstar break yet, so we still have plenty of time, plus Carpenter is on his way back, and that right there is like acquiring a big named player.

RiffRaff
07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd keep the team as is, unless another team (sellers) offered a high priced players (with good value) for some of our top prospects....otherwise, I like the team as is. We're only 2 1/2 games behind the Cubs, and were not even at the allstar break yet, so we still have plenty of time, plus Carpenter is on his way back, and that right there is like acquiring a big named player.

Why don't we need a lefty reliever?

natepro
07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
LOOGY!

Man, that whole no-caps thing is annoying sometimes.

Tkais9009
07-06-2008, 05:04 PM
if we dont give him an extention now, it wont happen (scott boris) so he needs to be traded if we can get an allstar for him.

cardinal27
07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
fuentes co
guzman wa
uggla Fla
roberts bal
hudson az

trade with pitt might be best wilson ss and any of these Pitchers

61 Sean Burnett L/L 6-1 190 09/17/82
57 Zach Duke L/L 6-2 220 04/19/83
34 John Grabow L/L 6-2 205 11/04/78
28 Paul Maholm L/L 6-2 220 06/25/82
43 Damaso Marte L/L 6-2 215 02/14/75

pit loves young cheap guys. maybe some combo of shu,dunc,ryan,reyes,ottivano,motte,worrell,hill,ma ther,anderson.
no way on rasmus,garcia

RiffRaff
07-07-2008, 06:17 PM
if we dont give him an extention now, it wont happen (scott boris) so he needs to be traded if we can get an allstar for him.

So what ... we need him now!

What all-star are we going to trade him for ... any team that is trading away an all-star isn't looking to win this year and therefore does not need Lohse.

Kyle Lohse will not be moved unless the Cards fall flat on their face and lose like 10 in a row before July 31.

rapjuicer06
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
so getting a guy maybe like dan uggla for kyle lohse you wouldn't want that? if we don't do anything to get better bats were not going to do anything or go anywhere. the cubs will get someone, the brewers already did. thats just my opinion though, don't get pissed about it

BradJackson
07-08-2008, 02:33 AM
the only thing we need fixed is LRP.
we have power. we have average. both Ludwick and Ankiel and cranking them out. Pujols goes without saying. Kennedy is hot. Miles is hitting better than average. Izturiz is unstoppable defensively. Our outfield contains some of the best arms in the league with Skip and Ludwick. I even like Brian Barton, he's quickly become a hometown favorite which is fantastic for moral. He's my Taguchi if you will :p
trading Kyle Lohse for Dan Uggla would end our season.

really the only people i would support trading are Brad Thomson (even though he gave me a ball) :( Chris Duncan. A-Rey. and certain prospects. no Rasmus or Garcia obviously. oh, and trade Albert Pujols. (just kidding)

we dont need to change strategy just because the brewers and cubs spent some money. We're already a great team, we just need to get a little better. Ultimately the central division will beat itself (with the exception of us) the cubs have been home all this time. But in September they have like 6 games at home. everything else is on the road (including a 16 games road trip to close out the season). We on the other hand have a 10 game home stand to close out the season. and the brewers think they've won it all just because they picked up a guy who plays once every 5 games :p (i live in Milwaukee, so i'm kind of harsh) But i have a feeling CC will have some trouble against the scrappy national league.

rapjuicer06
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
so your telling me that getting a LRP will get us to the playoffs? wow, i don't think so. your a little off. maybe we do need to keep lohse, but i'm thinking if we get uggla we'd have him for now and the future as to only having lohse for now and not extending him. but we need something else other than a LRP. we have lost 28 games by scoring 3 runs or less. 17 of those 28 games are 2 runs or less. pitchers need more than three runs in support. obviously we don't have as good of bats as you think. and don't tell me you'd rather have kennedy than a player we can get in a trade

BradJackson
07-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry. i would tell you that.
Kennedy has a great glove and his bat has really come around these past few months. We need relief help more than anything. just kind of a agree to disagree. i respect your opinions :)

CardzRule
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I think that platooning the middle-infield is and will do fine. Just look how Miles and Kennedy play on and off on their hot streaks. I think that a more solid bullpen in general will lead to postseason/success. I more consistent/defined rotation will increase chemistry and stability. A good bat will lead to more runs. There are plenty of areas of improvement, any one of which will help alot.

Czyzdustries
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
call up mather and/or mather
trade izzy
sign joe borowski low risk high reward plus we can fix him
add speed

To who?? And for what?? Some bats?

Czyzdustries
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
As for trades/signing. I shutter to think the only move we might see is the signing of no currently in baseball Freddy Garcia.

crowz
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
If I were GM I would:
Trade Rasmus, Skip, Reyes, Thompson for Holliday, Fuentes, Herges and 2B Prospect Eric Young. Then I would Sign Barry Bonds....I know bashing begins. But hes not going to demand much. Right now he just wants to play and win...we need power..? Then trade Anderson and Ceaser for Guzman. I dont hink Ceaser does it alone but Anerson would. We dont really need him and they would. Imagine

Guzman
Holliday
Pujols
Bonds
Glaus
Ankiel
Molina
Pitcher
Kennedy, Miles, Ryan

Never in a million years but It'd be bad ***. I dont like Bonds. But batting in that lineup he would destroy. Having bonds on the team we have now would destroy.

Skip
Ankiel
Pujols
Bonds
Glaus
Molina
Kennedy
Pitcher
Ryan

Czyzdustries
07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
So what ... we need him now!

What all-star are we going to trade him for ... any team that is trading away an all-star isn't looking to win this year and therefore does not need Lohse.

Kyle Lohse will not be moved unless the Cards fall flat on their face and lose like 10 in a row before July 31.

Agreed. We barely have pitching as it is. It would be ridiculous to think we trade any, especially quality pitching, for a bit more hitting if we are in contention.