PDA

View Full Version : Rangers sign Mara

messleetch94
07-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm hearing Rangers signed Mara to 1 yr at 1.95. Any truth to this? If so this loyalty, and you can tell that to Avery and Jagr.

letsgorangers27
07-05-2008, 02:41 PM
jagr would have came back if they would of gave him another year the $ was right he just wanted to be guranteed a extra year so dont question loyalty. avery yea that was dick but jagr was taking a paycut i believe he was gonna get 6 for 1 year he just wanted 2 and they wouldnt do it

messleetch94
07-05-2008, 03:02 PM
I only question his loyalty cause, because of his contract that he signed with WASH, had an extension for 2008-2009 if he scored 83-84 points. He only scored 71. Maybe if he cared the whole season and put up the points, he would be with us. With the cap increasing for 2009-2010, he would want 1 yr than go over to play in czech with his dads team.

messleetch94
07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I only question his loyalty cause, because of his contract that he signed with WASH, had an extension for 2008-2009 if he scored 83-84 points. He only scored 71. Maybe if he cared the whole season and put up the points, he would be with us. With the cap increasing for 2009-2010, he would want 1 yr than go over to play in czech with his dads team.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong. slats declined the team option back in November. If they would have, his salary would have reached about 8.35 , 5.35 hit against the rangers, the rest picked up by washington as part of the trade. It would have made him the highest paid Ranger. so i was wrong for questioning Jag'r loyalty.

sperez1979
07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
checked a couple of sites none have mara as signed with the rangers and hopefully they dont...even at that price we can get a younger dman or something else and i have a feeling the rangers are not done trading or changing the roster...

letsgorangers27
07-08-2008, 12:37 AM
mara will likely not be back. and why would we want him. he only flourishes when he receives alot of minutes and he isnt deserving of receiving alot of minutes

letsgorangers27
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent defenseman Paul Mara.

Mara, 28, appeared in 61 games with the Rangers this past season, registering one goal and 16 assists for 17 points, along with 52 penalty minutes. He finished third on the team among defensemen in assists (16), fourth in shots (80) and second in penalty minutes (52). He also ranked fifth on the team with 74 blocked shots, posted two multiple-point efforts and recorded a three-game assist-streak from January 12 vs. Montreal to January 16 vs. Buffalo (three assists). Mara collected his 150th career assist at Toronto on December 29.

Mara missed 15 games this past season with a shoulder injury and facial fractures. In addition, Mara registered one assist with 20 penalty minutes and a plus-three rating, while appearing in all 10 of the Rangers’ post-season matches.

In 2006-07, Mara ranked third among Rangers’ defensemen in goals (five), points (23) and hits (72), finished second in shots (100) and fourth in assists (18). He ranked second on the club in average icetime (22:08). He also ranked third on the team with 120 blocked shots and fourth with 113 penalty minutes.

In 19 games with the Rangers, he recorded two goals and three assists, along with 18 penalty minutes and a plus-six rating after being acquired from Boston on February 27, 2007, in exchange for defenseman Aaron Ward. The Rangers posted a 12-3-4 record with him in the lineup. Mara skated in his 500th career game on April 3, 2007 at Long Island, and registered his 200th career point on March 17, 2007 vs. Boston. In the 2007 playoffs, Mara tied for second on the team in power-play goals (two), and registered four points (two goals and two assists) in 10 contests.

The 6-4, 212-pounder has skated in 563 career regular season contests with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Phoenix Coyotes, Boston Bruins, and Rangers, registering 58 goals and 160 assists for 218 points, along with 546 penalty minutes. He established career-highs in goals (15), power-play goals (eight) and points (47) in 2005-06, while leading the Coyotes’ defensive corps in goals, power-play goals, assists, points, and shots (157) that season.

His 15 goals were the most by a Phoenix defenseman since 1992-93 (Fredrik Olausson, 16). In 2003-04, he established career-highs in games played (81) and assists (36), ranking sixth among all NHL defensemen in the category. Mara also participated in the NHL’s inaugural YoungStars Game as part of the 2002 NHL All-Star weekend in Los Angeles, recording three assists.

In postseason play, Mara has appeared in 25 career contests with the Coyotes and Rangers, registering two goals and three assists for five points, along with 42 penalty minutes. He notched his first career playoff goal on April 27, 2007 at Buffalo.

The Ridgewood, New Jersey native was originally Tampa Bay’s first round choice, seventh overall, in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=367870

redwhiteandblue
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Not bad, I wonder how much it's for. If it's more then a year, not a huge fan. If it's two years, I'm sittin' a little easier, but I think for now we need him for one year. If we really need one of him or Kalinin back after this year we can take our pick, but I don't want to be commited to him salary wise after this season.

That being said, I'm actually a bit of a Mara fan. He was one of our better defenders after we brough him in, and he's a great shot for our second PP. I remember seeing someone say he wont thrive in a 3rd pairing role because of lack of ice time, but I surely hope that's not the case. If it isn't we could have a fairly formidable 3rd pairing. He was much better then Backman, he wasn't to much of a liability defensively, got involved in the offense and like I said was a decent PP QB, suitable for our 2nd PP this year.

letsgorangers27
07-08-2008, 01:48 PM
27 Mara, Paul D 28 1.950 187 1.950 1.950 UFA
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NYR&season=0809
1 year 1.95

GOODLUCKDONNIE
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
maras my boy

GOODLUCKDONNIE
07-08-2008, 03:02 PM
bye bye avery im gonna miss you starting fights and loving you for being so annoying

nrmax88
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
jagr would have came back if they would of gave him another year the $ was right he just wanted to be guranteed a extra year so dont question loyalty. avery yea that was dick but jagr was taking a paycut i believe he was gonna get 6 for 1 year he just wanted 2 and they wouldnt do it

I love how Avery is a dick because he wouldn't take a paycut to stay here, when he was the one being lowballed and could have gotten more money somewhere else on a better team to boot. I love how we as NY fans think players should just take pay cuts to stay here. Is Chris Drury a dick? He wouldn't take a paycut to re-sign with a loaded Sabres team that was much better then the Rangers at the time. He bolted, and it was for the most money. Yeah yeah he loves the Rangers and he is a Yankee fan. whatever Chris, you are from Connecticut. He bolted for the $$, so why is Avery a dick when it is what every player does in every sport?

redwhiteandblue
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I love how Avery is a dick because he wouldn't take a paycut to stay here, when he was the one being lowballed and could have gotten more money somewhere else on a better team to boot. I love how we as NY fans think players should just take pay cuts to stay here. Is Chris Drury a dick? He wouldn't take a paycut to re-sign with a loaded Sabres team that was much better then the Rangers at the time. He bolted, and it was for the most money. Yeah yeah he loves the Rangers and he is a Yankee fan. whatever Chris, you are from Connecticut. He bolted for the $$, so why is Avery a dick when it is what every player does in every sport?

Uhh, actually both Briere and Drury offered Buffalo to take hometown discounts. They offered the city and team, not the other way around. Buffalo fans were not making mandates they get them to take discounts or let them walk. I in fact remember watching an interview with Danny (Briere) before a game, I think, against the Rangers. He touched on it saying how he's offered to take a discount to stick around, as did Chris, but he wouldn't get to much into it as he said it was between him and the franchise.

In both of their cases, they both ran into teams with money who offered up what it took to guarantee they get these guys. It's on the franchises and GM's for inflated salaries, or overpaid players as fans like to call them. I don't care who you are, if someone calls you and offers to pay you three times what you were making doing what you were doing, you would bite.

And so what if we as fans asked them to take hometown discounts? The fact is we play in a salary cap world now. Given, paying Gomer and Drury a little extra forced our hand, but was it so much to ask? Both Avery and Jagr walked around Manhattan living it up everyday. They loved it here, and we loved them. They even personally said they wanted to come back. But what if we paid them what they wanted? We probably woulda been forced to not make other moves, thus fielding a less competitive team, or the same team as last year. If anybody left for money, it was Avery. Jagr just wanted more of a sense of security.

I don't even know how Paul Mara turned into Avery anyways... good for Mara. He knew he liked it here, he knew what he was going to be a part of and his role on that team, and took a fair, reasonable price to play.

letsgorangers27
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM

i dont think averys a dick. i'm just saying it was a dick move. listen he was getting lowballed but he was also asking for too much. if they would have met right in the middle which was like 500,000 or something it would of been a fair offer. i love avery but he is not a 4 million per year player

messleetch94
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Are there any other players out there scoring 30 something points at 4 million a year. He wasn't low balled, he was low class.

messleetch94
07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, if Dallas comes to NY or vice versa, I hope Orr drops him.

nrmax88
07-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Are there any other players out there scoring 30 something points at 4 million a year. He wasn't low balled, he was low class.

Yeah, its not like he missed a ****load of games or anything.