PDA

View Full Version : Cavs interested in Anthony Johnson?

Sports Illustrator
07-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Could the Nuggets end up replacing one Anthony with another? Two sources close to the situation said Thursday the Nuggets aren't immediately targeting re-signing free-agent point guard Anthony Carter. One of the sources said Anthony Johnson is another free-agent point the Nuggets are eyeing as a possible replacement. But the belief is the Nuggets, deep into the luxury tax, might not make a quick move on a point guard when the signing period starts Wednesday. If they go the free-agent route, they might wait until prices go down. Johnson, 33, made $2.86 million last season, finishing with Sacramento after a February trade from Atlanta. He averaged 5.6 points and 3.8 assists for the season and has career marks of 5.7 points and 2.9 assists. Other teams said to be interested in Johnson include Cleveland, New York, Miami, Orlando, Phoenix and Utah.

From Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/03/nuggets-might-wait-sign-point-guard/)

Buckwheat
07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
:laugh2:

I saw Anthony in the thread preview, thinking it was Melo. Way to get my excited..

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Anthony Johnson or Anthony Carter would be a good backup or 3rd PG, since LeBron, Gibson, & Damon Jones can take some time at the position behind West as well.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Anthony Johnson or Anthony Carter would be a good backup or 3rd PG, since LeBron, Gibson, & Damon Jones can take some time at the position behind West as well.

Would we really need a 3rd guy when Damon's only playing time comes from being that 3rd? I don't know but like I have said before if depth is needed after a trade then these are the kind of players Ferry will be looking at for depth.

NickChrisless
07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Cavs fans getting excited about mediocrity again? There will always be people to fill the bench, they won't win us championships, thus it's hard to get excited about.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Cavs fans getting excited about mediocrity again? There will always be people to fill the bench, they won't win us championships, thus it's hard to get excited about.

Nobody is getting excited about Anthony Johnson. Just accepting the fact these players could be added for depth. I'm excited about trading and signing good players and this may be the step after a trade for that good player.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Boston's Big 3 get all of the credit for the C's winning the championship this year. But without Rajon Rondo, Sam Cassell, James Posey, Kendrick Perkins, PJ Brown, Tony Allen, etc they wouldn't have won it. Reserves matter. Role players are vital. Getting players that can mesh with your stars is a must if you want to compete for a championship.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Boston's Big 3 get all of the credit for the C's winning the championship this year. But without Rajon Rondo, Sam Cassell, James Posey, Kendrick Perkins, PJ Brown, Tony Allen, etc they wouldn't have won it. Reserves matter. Role players are vital. Getting players that can mesh with your stars is a must if you want to compete for a championship.

Yea look who hurt us PJ Brown..

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Yea look who hurt us PJ Brown..

In Game 7, he sure did. So "getting excited about role players" is much more important than you seem to realize, NickChrisless.

garlicboy
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
What happened to Eric Snow? Is he still active?

I would love to trade Al Harrington to the Cavs for Damon Jones, Eric Snow and 2009 1st round pick.

garlicboy
07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
It would work. http://www.******.com/src_tradechecker/3/

We can afford to let Harrington go with the signing of Maggette and the talent in Brandan Wright and Anthony Randolph.

NickChrisless
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
In Game 7, he sure did. So "getting excited about role players" is much more important than you seem to realize, NickChrisless.

I'm not totally in love with your tone right now. The point is... those Celtics you mentioned, will Anthony Johnson really be that big of an advancement to matter? We're talking 3rd string? Think of how many guys get flooded through the bench over the years. Sure people have big years ... but to counter your point about the role players of the Celtics, you can't honestly believe that other guys couldn't have been subbed in to do the same thing. They're NBA players, anyone on a team should contribute something, but my point here is that Anthony Johnson, Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins ... they're all equal to me (not counting Smush's career year in LA).

I'm not hating on the add, if it were to happen, but I'd look at him as just another one of those slot guys. I called them bench fillers. You're arguing that they're not bench fillers? That you can't get someone else like Anthony Johnson to do the same thing? Your response makes me believe that you thought I meant to run out 5 guys every night. There's always a bench, and they're intended to contribute. But outside of the main subs, I'm not real concerned about the 3rd PG.

And before you go getting heated... realize that I said it's not something I, personally, myself, NickChrisless, can become excited about. For me it's like signing Scot Pollard.

IndiansFan337
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm not totally in love with your tone right now. The point is... those Celtics you mentioned, will Anthony Johnson really be that big of an advancement to matter? We're talking 3rd string? Think of how many guys get flooded through the bench over the years. Sure people have big years ... but to counter your point about the role players of the Celtics, you can't honestly believe that other guys couldn't have been subbed in to do the same thing. They're NBA players, anyone on a team should contribute something, but my point here is that Anthony Johnson, Smush Parker, Chucky Atkins ... they're all equal to me (not counting Smush's career year in LA).

I'm not hating on the add, if it were to happen, but I'd look at him as just another one of those slot guys. I called them bench fillers. You're arguing that they're not bench fillers? That you can't get someone else like Anthony Johnson to do the same thing? Your response makes me believe that you thought I meant to run out 5 guys every night. There's always a bench, and they're intended to contribute. But outside of the main subs, I'm not real concerned about the 3rd PG.

And before you go getting heated... realize that I said it's not something I, personally, myself, NickChrisless, can become excited about. For me it's like signing Scot Pollard.
I know that he would be our 2nd or 3rd string PG. And that he would not ideally be seeing big PT. But what happens if the first or second string PG gets hurt for an extended period of time. Or both go down. Then he all of the sudden is vital to our success.

So everyone on the roster can be vital, especially at a position like PG. C's & PF's may be able to substitute for each other in a pinch. But it is hard to do that with a PG, although LeBron is able to do so at times.