PDA

View Full Version : Joey Graham

nads83
07-05-2008, 09:53 AM
what do you guys expect from him this yr? i believe he will be given a lot of PT at the 3 and some at 4. anywhere from 12-15 mins a game to start the season. his minutes will either get reduced or increase depending on his play. hes too gifted physically and actually shoots very well. about 47% first 2 yrs. graham and bargs will both be under the microscope this yr. i think theres hope for graham. at the least, i put him in front of adams. if he can just tap into his potential, just a little bit, he can be a very good bench player. what do you guys think?

rotation could look like this

calderon/ukic
kapono/parker
moon/graham/adams
bosh/hump/jawai
oneal/bargnani

ramz.n
07-05-2008, 10:40 AM
it all depends on Smitch

truRAPTORSfan
07-05-2008, 11:22 AM
because of joey defense and speed don't be surprise if u see him at the 2, the 3, and the 4

_Sn1P3r_
07-05-2008, 11:45 AM
If Hassan comes out with the same intensity Moon did off the bench before he was a permanent starter, we won't be seeing Graham too much on the floor.

Raptors27
07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I actually think Adams is gonna do good this year!

North Yorker
07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
If Joey can get his shot back like at the end of the 07 season(when he started in the playoffs vs the Nets) and rebound like he's capable, then he will get more playing time.

Ragun
07-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I hope he does get better because he could start for his...he has so much potential but he isnt even close to reaching it.

Dragan
07-05-2008, 02:16 PM
id like to cee him become the 7th man of the beanch, but that depends soly on him. Maybe he will finally mature mentally over teh summer, if he does he will contribute more.

B2theRY
07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Joey G is a Bum!

Trade him now... if not let him just continue to do what he does best collect his NBA salary and wave those pom poms

Master P
07-05-2008, 02:58 PM
joey will not get 10-15 minutes just because...he'll have to earn them as on paper he's well behind the rotation. the first post got the rotation incorrect...

oneal and bosh start at c, pf...bargs backs up both. unless teams get both bosh and oneal in foul trouble expect bargs and either of the starters to always be on the floor. hump is then fourth in line with the mini-shaq burried further behind him.

the 2-3 spot has the three main guys...kapono, parker, moon splitting the minutes in the exact same way as the big men. joey is then fourth in-line behind these guys. maybe he gets lucky and moves into humps spot as the fourth big man when either oneal, bosh, or bargs is injured.

everybody knows the situation at the 1 right now.

the really dangerous thing i like about the raptors now is late game, provided bargs gets his shot going again. coming out of a time-out they can have oneal, bosh, and bargs on offense as the 5, 4, 3...image a little guy trying to stop bargs from shooting a three, or if a miss-match happens on a rotation and either oneal or bosh have a mis-match...oh man. certainly should provide someone with an advantage over his defender...thus avoiding a situation like bosh having to shot against howard in orlando...and not to mention jose's skills at driving / kicking, and whoever is hotter...parker or kapono...suddenly everyone on the floor is a threat to beat you.

on defense out of a time-out they can then put moon in at the 3 and prevent bargs from having to look silly guarding a 3. parker then takes minutes from kapono looks down the 2. oneal locks the 5. i would think the raptors will be weakest and beat most nights by a stronger pg than jose or one of the few bigs that has an advantage over bosh or oneal (howard, garnett, gasol maybe, whatever, the list is short).

raptor fan
07-05-2008, 03:55 PM
i don't expect much from him. i expect something like the numbers he put up last season. then he'll move on somewhere else.

Jwizel_hitshrs
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
trade or do something to get rid of him....he's the Nik Antropov of the Raptors. How many years is this guy gonna be "under the scope".
He's a pilot also too right? Maybe we can get him to fly the team charter HA!

The Wise 1
07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
IMO it will be between Adams and Graham for the 2nd swingman off the bench. They will basically fight for that spot through training camp and preseason. The majority of the minutes at the 2 and 3 will be for Parker, Moon and Kapono and Adams and Graham can fight for the scraps. I would only expect to see 1 of them for 3 or 4 minutes a game which would probably suit Adams better than Graham since he brings hustle and intensity. The only times I see either one getting a lot of minutes is when we are getting blown out and we need a change or if someone gets into foul trouble.

Joshmantis
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it's his basketball IQ. Sometimes he just seems lost out there. Maybe a new team would be better for him. It's too bad Toronto sees too much of the "Bad" Joey. If the "Good" Joey showed up, we wouldn't have to worry about who is going to start at the SF spot.

Sadly, this is his last chance with the Raps, he'll have to produce in practice FIRST, then Sam might give him some PT.

star
07-06-2008, 12:03 AM
because of joey defense and speed don't be surprise if u see him at the 2, the 3, and the 4

He cant play the 2 ... ever

truRAPTORSfan
07-06-2008, 01:09 AM
he can play the 2 against 2s like bogans

lukeem21
07-06-2008, 01:39 AM
no point in trading him unless some team has a hidden interest in him and is willing to give up something, he has all the skills he needs to do some damage i believe he just needs to get that edge and if he does he could make a huge difference on both ends

The Wise 1
07-06-2008, 02:06 AM

He cant guard any of those positions. But IMO he has played his best ball at the 4.

He played PF in college also.

Fion
07-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I dont hold out much hope for joey, his brother stephan isnt really fairing better at the moment either.

Rapthug
07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
I can't believe there is a "Joey Graham" thread.

Cortez
07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
trade joey or better yet buy him out
and get some one like livingston, or carter.
its as easy as that

Raptorious
07-06-2008, 12:09 PM
There is no chance I would give up on Joey Graham. Kid is full of potential and unless I'm mistaken near the end of 06/07 averaged like 18 and 8 while Garbo was down. I'm not saying he will be like that if we give him opportunity, but I am vouching for him in saying that he will put up solid numbers. One thing I've been amazed by is how similar Joey is to LeBron as far as a physical and athletic specimen. And before I get ripped for this comparison, I am not comparing LeBron the basketball player with Joey-G the basketball player, they are nothing alike. This may be an adverse suggestion, but why not try Graham out as starter at small forward? I think that if he can get his mind into the game he will do some damage and could be that perimeter slasher we are missing. If Moon learns how to do anything other than shoot threes on the offensive end with a man on him, I say he defenitely deserves the spot. But at this time I feel Joey is more versatile and I feel that given a chance to start he would shine.

argo
07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Joey was drafted 4 years ago out of Okalahoma State. He was thought to be a tough, defensive, athletic SF with good potential.

Raptors fans have been waiting patiently to see Joey live up to his potential. Yet season after season he doesn't seem to be getting a better feel for the NBA game. We cringe each time he drives the lane, puts his head down, crashing into the set defender, picking up another offensive foul, creating another turnover.

His body and athleticism fit the mold of exactly what we need on the Raps: someone at SF to guard the likes of Paul Pierce, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, etc. A guy who can bang down low, create space, grab rebounds, make a jumpshot...

Does anyone out there have any hope that this could be the year that he finally figures it out and fills the SF position with what we need?

The Wise 1
07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Nope

mariotubes
07-06-2008, 05:05 PM
He'll be out of the league before you know it

Bob_at_york
07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
before last season some still had some hope but I am not sure if any one does anymore.

_Sn1P3r_
07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
I recall last season that Joey said he was going to have his best year. He ended up not even playing because Jamario Moon won a starting slot moving Kapono down. I don't know if Toronto is the place for Joey.

The Wise 1
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I recall last season that Joey said he was going to have his best year. He ended up not even playing because Jamario Moon won a starting slot moving Kapono down. I don't know if Toronto is the place for Joey.

Well as of now he's got a chance to see some consistent minutes. All he has to do is beat out Adams for the 2nd swingman off the bench spot. I dont think he does it though.

JermanJaysFan
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Well as of now he's got a chance to see some consistent minutes. All he has to do is beat out Adams for the 2nd swingman off the bench spot. I dont think he does it though.

True- he could, should he perform, take Delfino's minutes. Unless, that is, Kapono goes all playoff-esque on us, and Moon develops his game. In that case, I can easily see us going three swing men deep.

Beach Rock
07-06-2008, 09:26 PM
What i don't get is that he apparently is known as a player that torches everyone in practice. Not sure if this is true but I seem to have heard it on a couple of occasions. Just never translates it to actual games. He might be just a shrink away from being a good sf.

Musical Tempo
07-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Old article but goes along with the topic.

My whole thing was to come in here and help the team out as much as possible, and if they pick it up (the fourth-year option), they pick it up," Graham said after Monday's practice. "I'm glad they did, but right now, my focus is just coming in here and taking care of the little things I need to do — play defence, stay aggressive on offence, and just play hard.

Source : http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2007/10/29/raptors-graham.html?ref=rss

Obviously he is happy other wise he wouldn't even make that kind a money on another team.

He has more hope then his Brother in the NBA but not that much.

BoomCasa
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
i actually think his brother is alot better then him, i like joey, he seems to be a nice guy, but the best thing for him would be to join some type of wrestling organization...

Bramaca
07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
before last season some still had some hope but I am not sure if any one does anymore.

I still think he has potential. Last year he ended up in a crappy situation. They were giving Kapono the starting sf spot from the start but when it didn't work out Graham was injured and Moon got a shot instead and then after that nobody got injured period at the wing positions. So he had virtually no opportunity to work his way back into the rotation last year.

Will Joey get another shot next year? Maybe, maybe not it depends a lot on injuries and whether or not Mitchell has completely forgotten about him. One thing is for sure, he is a more aggressive perimeter player then anyone else on the Raps roster, which is something they need. And while many complain about the amount of turnovers and offensive fouls that he commits that is what you get from that type of player (Maggette commits fouls and turnovers at just as high of a rate, if not more).

Kontent
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
I still have hope for the guy. His brother has a few more skills than him, but at Joey's size, he should be better. I think he would probably play better for another team. This year is his last shot with the Raptors; no breakout year means no Raptors in 2009-2010.

Bob_at_york
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Speaking of this week, while all the shenanigans are going on at the ACC, the summer league team convenes in Vegas tomorrow for a couple of days of practice before starting to play at the end of the week.

We still haven’t seen a roster (I expect that’ll be out there today sometime) but am told by Someone Who’d Know that it looks like Joey Graham will be out there, trying to do something to resurrect his game after spending most of last season at the end of the bench or the inactive list.

Graham’s the enigma, of course. Good Joey, Bad Joey and all that. No one has any real idea whether he can be a major contributor this year or not (I suspect history holds and it’s more “not”) but there are those in the organization who still think he can be a major player here and they’re giving him every opportunity to prove it.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Kontent
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
If Joey doesn't dominate in Summer League play, he won't even finish the season with the Raptors.

the life
07-07-2008, 01:50 PM
when his mind is set i like his game a lot. it is just he doesn't have a self trigger. he doesn't start on his own. his game in the paint is one of the better ones from the raptors team. he is good shotter and smart and smooth around the basket. but he will never be a solid player in this league because he is not interested.