PDA

View Full Version : Posey among Cavaliers' targets

Sbank
07-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Posey among Cavaliers' targets
The clock on LeBron James is ticking.

The All-Star forward has just two years remaining on his contract before he can become a free agent. Some think the time is now for Cavs general manager Danny Ferry to show some urgency in improving his roster.

In order to land a player who would truly make an impact on the team, they'd have to offer the full mid-level exception. That would be a very costly maneuver, however.

If the Cavs had their druthers, they probably wouldn't use their mid-level exception because they are so far into the luxury tax.

They already have the third- or fourth-highest salary in the league. That doesn't add up for a team that didn't get out of the second round of the playoffs. No matter how much Cavs owner Dan Gilbert boasts that money is no object, he didn't get to be that rich by giving away cash.

The Cavs are likely trying to use some of the assets on their roster in possible deals. That way they won't have to take on any more salary. It seems like Ferry and his staff are talking to about everyone who's available, but most of the dialogue surrounds possible sign-and-trades.

They addressed the need for a young big man in the draft when they selected North Carolina State power forward J.J. Hickson. Their biggest needs now are a perimeter defender and an outside shooter.

The following are some possible targets in free agency for the Cavs:

- James Posey, Boston, 6-8, 217, forward -- The Cavs passed on Posey in the summer of 2007 and chose to re-sign Sasha Pavlovic. Who would you rather have now? The Twinsburg native has won rings in Miami in 2005 and in Boston in June. He's not only an outstanding defender, but he's a deadly 3-point shooter. His asking price is the full mid-level, which might scare off the Cavs. The Celtics might be reluctant to agree to a sign-and-trade for the unrestricted free agent.

- Corey Maggette, L.A. Clippers, 6-6, 225, swingman -- With Elton Brand injured for most of the season, Maggette's numbers soared to 22.1 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.7 assists. The Spurs appear to be the front-runner for the former Duke product. He'll likely get the full mid-level. He would look awesome as the Cavs' starting shooting guard, but it's unlikely he'd come to Cleveland. He opted out of the final year of his contract, which makes him unrestricted.

- Monta Ellis, Golden State, 6-3, 177, guard -- Wonder why he's so attractive on the market? He averaged 20.2 points and 3.9 assists and shot 53.1 percent from the field this year. He has the quickness and speed to get wherever he wants on the court. The Cavs would have to send one of their point guards -- Daniel Gibson or Delonte West -- to the Warriors in this deal, in addition to another front-line player. The Warriors have already lost Baron Davis to the Los Angeles Clippers. They can't afford to let Ellis walk. He's a restricted free agent, and the Warriors will likely match any offer he gets.

- Chris Duhon, Chicago, 6-1, 185, point guard -- He's supposedly narrowed his choices down to New York and Orlando. The Cavs are high on his services, and have been for quite some time. He's a backup who can defend and run the offense. His shooting has continued to slump in the last couple years.

- Mickael Pietrus, Golden State, 6-6, 215, forward -- He is a rugged defender who can also drain the 3-pointer. The Cavs had interest in him last summer, but it was more as an option for Pavlovic. He didn't play much for the Warriors.

- Jannero Pargo, New Orleans, 6-1, 175, guard -- He'd fill the role of instant offense off the bench.

- Tyronn Lue, Sacramento, 6-0, 175, point guard -- He's another player on the lines of Pargo. Lue has made life miserable on the Cavs through the years.

Morning Journal (http://www.morningjournal.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19829693&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6)
I think he would help our outside shooting on offense and he would be a solid bench player.

fire2last
07-06-2008, 12:02 AM
No, no, no. Why pay a high mid level contract to a guy who is going to be a "solid bench player?" Posey has just won a ring and is going to expect to be paid like it. No thanks!

None of the aforementioned players will help keep LeBron in CLE. We need star who is complementary to LBJ, not another bench guy who we will overpay and will under perform.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 02:21 AM
No, no, no. Why pay a high mid level contract to a guy who is going to be a "solid bench player?" Posey has just won a ring and is going to expect to be paid like it. No thanks!

None of the aforementioned players will help keep LeBron in CLE. We need star who is complementary to LBJ, not another bench guy who we will overpay and will under perform.

Posey never under performs but he never really over performs. The thing is you need these kind of guys if you want to win a championship. I would much rather have a star but that is a very big challenge for the Cavs. What we need to do is obtain some valuable players that teams actually will want in some trades.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Posey is a great player, whom I would love to have on the Cavs team. I think he may actually even be from the area?

But I wouldn't give him more than a 2-3 year deal. I surely wouldn't hand him the full MLE for the max of 5 years. That would be foolish, IMO. Let another team do that & regret it in 2-3 years.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Posey is a great player, whom I would love to have on the Cavs team. I think he may actually even be from the area?

But I wouldn't give him more than a 2-3 year deal. I surely wouldn't hand him the full MLE for the max of 5 years. That would be foolish, IMO. Let another team do that & regret it in 2-3 years.

Posey did live in the Cleveland area which could help us, but I agree I don't think he is someone that deserves a MLE. That would be very foolish.. as you said.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Posey did live in the Cleveland area which could help us, but I agree I don't think he is someone that deserves a MLE. That would be very foolish.. as you said.

I think he's worth the MLE, but just not for more than 2-3 years.

Otherwise you're stuck paying him $6-7 million when he begins to decline in a few years. And if you want to remain a competitive team, those are the types of things that you need to avoid.

IndiansFan337
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Cavaliers are zeroing in on James Posey.

Posey is now about the highest profile free agent still available, and the Cavs are interested. Agent Mark Bartelstein acknowledged talks with the Cavs. Posey waited until late August to sign with the Celtics last summer, but won't wait that long this time. "I know he wants to make a decision quicker," Bartelstein said Tuesday. There are too many teams pining for Posey to tell where he might end up.
Rotoworld.com

Clevefan23
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
When Ferry said that the cavs werent gonna be done after the trade at the deadline i was thinking a star player but if we do get posey i think Ferry will just call it quits and say ok we got our guy (posey) now lets lock up boobie and Delonte. If we dont get posey then Ferry is gonna be pressed so hard to make a move for that all star type player that hes gonna feel more on the hot seat then ever to make a trade. I dont think it will happen but i dont think posey is the answer so whats the point of signing him and taking up our already overloaded cap space.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
When Ferry said that the cavs werent gonna be done after the trade at the deadline i was thinking a star player but if we do get posey i think Ferry will just call it quits and say ok we got our guy (posey) now lets lock up boobie and Delonte. If we dont get posey then Ferry is gonna be pressed so hard to make a move for that all star type player that hes gonna feel more on the hot seat then ever to make a trade. I dont think it will happen but i dont think posey is the answer so whats the point of signing him and taking up our already overloaded cap space.

This is a very disappointing off season thats for sure. Posey wouldn't change that a whole lot either but I still like him and think he will perform well for us if we were to get him.

IndiansFan337
07-09-2008, 06:02 PM

Posey fits our team's defensive mold very well. But I don't think we'll be able to get him, with virtually every contender seeking his services.

Everyone is going to continue to complain about Ferry until we make some sort of huge move, but it very well might not come until mid-season, near the trade deadline. We aren't just going to let Wally's contract expire with nothing in return. Ferry knows we are over the cap even if these contracts all expire, so the only way to improve the team is via the draft, MLE, & trades. Since we always have late draft picks because we have a solid team, he realizes that he is going to have to go the trade route to improve the roster. We will get another key player between now & mid-February. We just have to wait for it to happen. He may also be waiting for more players to become available once some more teams realize that they are not contenders (Josh Howard from Dallas, Ron Artest from Sacramento, etc).

Sbank
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
This is a very disappointing off season thats for sure. Posey wouldn't change that a whole lot either but I still like him and think he will perform well for us if we were to get him.

I think he will make our defense better past the three point line and he bring the three point shorter thread we needed. Sure Gibson and Wally are what we had at SG but Gibson was hurt most season and Wally never got into a rhythm off hitting threes for us.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
I think he will make our defense better past the three point line and he bring the three point shorter thread we needed. Sure Gibson and Wally are what we had at SG but Gibson was hurt most season and Wally never got into a rhythm off hitting threes for us.

I would like to see Sasha progress a little better instead of getting worst. I would probably start him at the beginning of the Season bring his confidents up.

Sbank
07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
I would like to see Sasha progress a little better instead of getting worst. I would probably start him at the beginning of the Season bring his confidents up.

We could try that. He was starting before the playoff started. Hopefully he can better then getting mop up minutes and improve so we have him in the game longer.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Sasha had to have been the biggest disappointment outside of losing in the second round.If he could start and maybe shoot a FG% around .44-.47 and average 10-14ppg I would be ecstatic. Another thing is I wish he would stop losing his brain whenever he drives to the hoop! STOP GETTING CHARGES CALLED ON YOU!:mad:

Cavs_Fan24
07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
i think James Posey is one of those guys that does the little things that teams need to win championships
he hussles
he'll make an outside shot with ease
and he can spark the crowd by drawing charges, or making a clutch steal

I think Posey could be great acquisition, and if he came to Cleveland, he'll make us a lot better