PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kaman to play for Germany in the Olympics..anyone see anything wrong here?

m26555
07-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Clippers' Kaman becomes German citizen for Olympics

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) Former Central Michigan player Chris Kaman has received German citizenship and will team up with Dirk Nowitzki for Germany at an Olympic qualifying tournament later this month.

Kaman, whose great-grandparents were German, averaged 15.7 points and 12.7 rebounds last season with the Los Angeles Clippers.

The 7-foot Kaman will add size to a German team seeking to qualify for its first Olympics since the 1992 Barcelona Games.

The German team is practicing at home for a warmup tournament before it travels to Greece for the July 14-20 qualifying event in Athens.

Coach Dirk Bauermann says Kaman is a significant addition.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/beijing/basketball/2008-07-04-kamen-germany_N.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone else have a problem with this? Kaman was born in Wyoming, NOT Germany. His parents weren't born in Germany, either. Heck, his GRANDPARENTS weren't even born in Germany. The guy's GREAT-GRANDPARENTS were born there, so he decides to support them for the Olympics? I don't know about you, but I think Kaman is being very disloyal here.

BlondeBomber41
07-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah it is quite strange. Not like he joined the German Army though, calm down.

Not to mention its not like he got any U.S. Basketball Invitations, so its not like he spurned the United States to play for Germany.

BALLER71
07-04-2008, 06:43 PM
No I don't see anything wrong.

Knicks845
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
No, i think its good, he wants to represent his heritage :shrug:

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't see anything. Team USA wasn't gonna invite him anyway.

Pran Raznor
07-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Not to mention its not like he got any U.S. Basketball Invitations, so its not like he spurned the United States to play for Germany.

:nod:

cmellofan15
07-04-2008, 06:51 PM
i see something wrong with it any player can go play for any team they feel like if they have the slightest bit of heritage and go and become a citizen then they are into a totally different team. it is wrong but its not "totally" bad

Wrigleyboy25
07-04-2008, 06:52 PM
This is ridiculous.

Corey
07-04-2008, 06:55 PM
What's the big deal? He doesn't get to play for his home country, so he plays for a country that's part of his heritage.

krazyclipperfan
07-04-2008, 07:06 PM
there no problem with it as long as he has some ties to Germany it shouldn't be a problem.

torontosports10
07-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I dono great grandparents is kind of far i was think parents or grandparents at the worst but w/e USA said no so more power to him

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I guess he just wants to PLAY in the Olympics like Becky

kazzy4080
07-04-2008, 07:15 PM
hes following in the footsteps of becky hammons, congrats and good luck to him

krazyclipperfan
07-04-2008, 07:16 PM
personally i don't care if he has direct ties to a country and long as he has a blood line to them it ok. as a Clipper fan i like it because he is going to be in shape and as long as he don't get hurt it will help us out by him being ready to play when the season start.

Max Power
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Was it wrong when Olajuwon or Ewing suited up for team USA?

Joshtd1
07-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I dont think its that big of a deal.

CUBSin08
07-04-2008, 07:48 PM
whats wrong with a guy playing for his roots? He certainly has alot of German blood still

Ragun
07-04-2008, 07:52 PM
This is ridiculous.

Why?

It seems fine to me.

LakeShow
07-04-2008, 07:53 PM
It's a growing trend. More and more Olympians will be representing countries where they were neither born nor raised. There's nothing wrong with it, but it does, IMO, take away from the Olympic games--the nationalistic pride associated with winning gold.

dbow2019
07-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Sammy Dalembert became a canadian citizen to play for canada in the olympics...no one said anything about that

AgentViet
07-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Nothing wrong with him representing his heritage. Not to mention USA didn't even invite him, so it's not like he's betraying US.

BaRRySandAmaN
07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Man he wants to play in the Olympics let him do it for his heritage. I see no problem with this at all

francoeur4mvp
07-04-2008, 08:29 PM
he wants to play in the olympics, and he didn't get invited to play for team usa. i see nothing wrong with it at all.

WillisLovechild
07-04-2008, 08:33 PM
no problem, athletes want to play in the olympics, let him do it.

Apophis
07-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all. It shouldnt even matter if he wants to play for Germany or not.. Heck.. He is of German Descent after all...

Vegasguy80
07-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Who are you to judge him? He wouldn't make the US team anyway.

khoolit_jom#8
07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
for me theirs nothing wrong with that.. he just wants to play and experience olympic games... and the USAB olpympic team didn't invite him to play for the USA...

AK-50
07-04-2008, 09:20 PM
As long as he has a citizenship theres nothing wrong

BlondeBomber41
07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Im pretty sure Tim Duncan did the same thing to get to play for Team USA didnt he? Maybe not the exact same circumstances, but something similiar.

pippsux
07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
He has German roots and hey, the US team did not invite him.

KmB728
07-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hes German, its not like hes going to go play for a random team like Argentina for absolutley no reason

dodie53
07-05-2008, 12:03 AM
kaman and dirk together

kazzy4080
07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
rumor has it the whole celtics team is trying to get their irish citzenships so they can play for the irish olympic team and win a gold medal

tonyd3b54
07-05-2008, 12:29 AM
kaman was like 30th on US's list of big men to go to the olympics so theres nuthin wrong wiht playing for the land of his ancestors...

Hurricane Chise
07-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Was it wrong when Olajuwon or Ewing suited up for team USA?

Damn... That's a good point.

NoSense
07-05-2008, 02:55 AM

He couldn't, there are none...

Like Max Power said, everybody was pretty happy to see The Dream and Ewing play for the US team...

arlubas
07-05-2008, 02:57 AM
This is ridiculous.

My thoughts exactly. It sounds like a joke in the sense that I doubt the guy has even visited Germany ever or heard any stories about it even from his grandparents. Maybe he wants some PT in the summer and the chance to work on his game against skilled competition, I don't know.

MaZin420
07-05-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't really see nothing bad here. I remember Mike Piazza played for Italy in the world baseball classic and most people ( like me) actually liked that he did that just like italy in baseball germany could use all the help they can get.I actually would consider this an honorable move by Kaman just like Big Mike.

Giaps
07-05-2008, 04:17 AM
I'm a Greek, U.S. Citizen born and raised in NY and if I was good enough to play in the NBA and the Olympics I would go play for Greece in a heartbeat.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Just because you're not born there doesn't mean you can't represent your heritage.

Apophis
07-05-2008, 04:28 AM
My thoughts exactly. It sounds like a joke in the sense that I doubt the guy has even visited Germany ever or heard any stories about it even from his grandparents. Maybe he wants some PT in the summer and the chance to work on his game against skilled competition, I don't know.

?? I am not too sure but I think Wrigley meant the thread is ridiculous.

I am sure he knows of his heritage.. My son was born here but his grandparents are from El Salvador (mom) and Puerto Rico (Me).. He knows of P.R from my parents and the same about El Salvador with his mom's parents..

He wants to play for the olympics and represent.. He is still German.. Regardless if he was born here or not.. Generations of Italians and other ethnic backgrounds were born in the U.S.. But they are still Italian..

arlubas
07-05-2008, 04:36 AM
?? I am not too sure but I think Wrigley meant the thread is ridiculous.

I am sure he knows of his heritage.. My son was born here but his grandparents are from El Salvador (mom) and Puerto Rico (Me).. He knows of P.R from my parents and the same about El Salvador with his mom's parents..

He wants to play for the olympics and represent.. He is still German.. Regardless if he was born here or not.. Generations of Italians and other ethnic backgrounds were born in the U.S.. But they are still Italian..

Yeah man but at least these guys knew of their heritage from their grandparents. Instead I doubt Kaman has ever came in contact with his great grandparents or that he knows that much about Germany either. I'm a clipps fan and I've seen quite a few Kaman interviews. I've never seen him mention anything about him being german, ever. Don't you think he would've at least mentioned it somewhere if he was that proud to be german?

Still I ain't bashing this move, if he wants to play let him play, I'm just questioning whether he does this because he trully believes in it or because he wants to get the exposure.

gsziraki7
07-05-2008, 05:09 AM
HELL TO THE NO he shouldnt be allowed to play for them. This is the Olympics. You compete for the country you were born in. Just because swimmers dont make the US trials they don't go swim for Sweeden or anything. Its getting out of hand with all the exceptions they're making. I don't mind someone supporting their heritage, but you dont do it in the Olympics.

mfudge
07-05-2008, 05:16 AM
Yeah man but at least these guys knew of their heritage from their grandparents. Instead I doubt Kaman has ever came in contact with his great grandparents or that he knows that much about Germany either. I'm a clipps fan and I've seen quite a few Kaman interviews. I've never seen him mention anything about him being german, ever. Don't you think he would've at least mentioned it somewhere if he was that proud to be german?

Still I ain't bashing this move, if he wants to play let him play, I'm just questioning whether he does this because he trully believes in it or because he wants to get the exposure.

dude. im a fifth generation japanese-american. that means my great-great-grandparents were born in japan. does that now mean im not japanese anymore? if i was good at bball and played in the NBA and didn't get invited to play on the Olympic US team, would it be so wrong if i went to play for Japan? whats the difference? if his great-grandparents were german, its STILL in his blood. it doesn't just disappear after a couple generations. and perhaps he never mentioned it because it wasn't a big issue for him what race, ethnicity, or heritage he is or anyone else is. i'm japanese and i'm damn proud of it, but i don't go around saying "hey, yea, i'm japanese."

Apophis
07-05-2008, 06:50 AM
HELL TO THE NO he shouldnt be allowed to play for them. This is the Olympics. You compete for the country you were born in. Just because swimmers dont make the US trials they don't go swim for Sweeden or anything. Its getting out of hand with all the exceptions they're making. I don't mind someone supporting their heritage, but you dont do it in the Olympics.

By your logic.. Hakeem, Ewing, and Duncan should never had played for Team USA...

raptors_516
07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
if he wants to go play for them he should its not like he was going to play on the U.S. team
at least he will get a chance to play in the olympics

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess he just wants to PLAY in the Olympics like Becky

Becky is making millions to play for the russian team... she has a slight excuse. Kaman is an average player at best...not good enough to make the US team...so he goes to play for another country? This guy is a traitor! You an disagree if you want... but whats the point in being an olympian if you arent representing your country? The whole point of the olympics is for countries to show off their talent...not somebody elses...

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
He couldn't, there are none...

Like Max Power said, everybody was pretty happy to see The Dream and Ewing play for the US team...

ewing lived in the US and was a US citizen. he didnt quickly apply for citizenship a month before the olympics after never even having been to the US before to be an olympian. The US is where he lived and worked. Kaman has no ties to Germany... its very very diferent. It mine as well be a random country...

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Im pretty sure Tim Duncan did the same thing to get to play for Team USA didnt he? Maybe not the exact same circumstances, but something similiar.

The Virgin Islands are US territories...

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
dude. im a fifth generation japanese-american. that means my great-great-grandparents were born in japan. does that now mean im not japanese anymore? if i was good at bball and played in the NBA and didn't get invited to play on the Olympic US team, would it be so wrong if i went to play for Japan? whats the difference? if his great-grandparents were german, its STILL in his blood. it doesn't just disappear after a couple generations. and perhaps he never mentioned it because it wasn't a big issue for him what race, ethnicity, or heritage he is or anyone else is. i'm japanese and i'm damn proud of it, but i don't go around saying "hey, yea, i'm japanese."

A japanese person is a citizen of Japan. You are AMERICAN. You may have Japanese heritage... but you are not first and for most Japanese... if you were then you wouldn't be living here... IMO

Dirty Dirk41
07-05-2008, 12:51 PM
who cares.....SERIOUSLY....if hes german he can play on the german sqaud...And I think Kaman will have a breakout year this year hopefully playing a full season next to brand and with B.Davis dishing out the rock.

Dirty Dirk41
07-05-2008, 12:54 PM
A japanese person is a citizen of Japan. You are AMERICAN. You may have Japanese heritage... but you are not first and for most Japanese... if you were then you wouldn't be living here... IMO

dude your crying becuz Chris Kaman of the L.A Clippers is going to play for germany??? Really dude....this is what bothers you???? i see nothing wrong here, hes gunna go play and do his best for germany. then train to do his best with the clippers...end it there.

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
who cares.....SERIOUSLY....if hes german he can play on the german sqaud...And I think Kaman will have a breakout year this year hopefully playing a full season next to brand and with B.Davis dishing out the rock.

HE'S NOT GERMAN THOUGH. The dude is American! Has he ever even been to germnay? His great-great grandparents are German... great! He is not though. He is American. Its amazing to me how quick people change who they are when it suites them. When he is getting paid millions of dollars a year in the US to play basketball and after growing up in the US the guy would say he is america... yet the second it suites him all the sudden he is german...puhhleasseeee!

daleja424
07-05-2008, 12:56 PM
dude your crying becuz Chris Kaman of the L.A Clippers is going to play for germany??? Really dude....this is what bothers you???? i see nothing wrong here, hes gunna go play and do his best for germany. then train to do his best with the clippers...end it there.

whose crying. the point is simple. The guy isn't german... the olypics are for representing YOIR COUNTRY. Just b/c you arent good enough to play for you r country doesnt mean you should switch your nationality...

mfudge
07-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Becky is making millions to play for the russian team... she has a slight excuse. Kaman is an average player at best...not good enough to make the US team...so he goes to play for another country? This guy is a traitor! You an disagree if you want... but whats the point in being an olympian if you arent representing your country? The whole point of the olympics is for countries to show off their talent...not somebody elses...

Is Germany NOT his country? It's in his BLOOD. I'm Japanese, but I was born here, does that make Japan no longer my country? In everything I do, I HAVE to represent America and NOT Japan, or else I'm a traitor? I know the 4th just passed n' all, but some of this "patriotic" talk is just garbage. and Becky is making millions, so that makes it ok? So, it's all about the money? As long as the country is paying them to play, they can have them? BULL.

Germany is one of Kaman's countries so he has EVERY right to play there and NOT be called a traitor. Yao Ming plays in the US on the Rockets but he still goes back and represents the Chinese team. Pau Gasol represents the Spanish team. Should these guys all now just play for "their country" or be scorned as traitors? Or is it ok for them because they're superstars and Kaman is just an "average" player. Btw, I think you're severely underrating Kaman's game. His 15.7ppg and 12.7rpg average is a tad bit off of Howard's averages at 20.7ppg and 14.2rpg and are significantly better than Olympic alternate Tyson Chandlers numbers of 11.8ppg and 11.7rpg.

daleja424
07-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Is Germany NOT his country? It's in his BLOOD. I'm Japanese, but I was born here, does that make Japan no longer my country? In everything I do, I HAVE to represent America and NOT Japan, or else I'm a traitor? I know the 4th just passed n' all, but some of this "patriotic" talk is just garbage. and Becky is making millions, so that makes it ok? So, it's all about the money? As long as the country is paying them to play, they can have them? BULL.

Germany is one of Kaman's countries so he has EVERY right to play there and NOT be called a traitor. Yao Ming plays in the US on the Rockets but he still goes back and represents the Chinese team. Pau Gasol represents the Spanish team. Should these guys all now just play for "their country" or be scorned as traitors? Or is it ok for them because they're superstars and Kaman is just an "average" player. Btw, I think you're severely underrating Kaman's game. His 15.7ppg and 12.7rpg average is a tad bit off of Howard's averages at 20.7ppg and 14.2rpg and are significantly better than Olympic alternate Tyson Chandlers numbers of 11.8ppg and 11.7rpg.

do you live in or did you grow up in Japan? Then Japan is not your country. It may be your heritage but it is not your country. If it is your country why don't you live there???

Its ok for Yao, Dirk, and Pau b/c they were born and grew up in the other country. They only became US citizens to play basketbal here. How is that relavent to Kaman, a fourth generation German???

I don't think it is ok for Becky either. I am just saying that she can use th money as an excuse. doesn't mean I think it is any better then kaman

superkegger
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I've got no problem with it. If it were Kobe goint to play for Italy or something, I'd have more of a problem with it. But Kaman was never going to be on the US roster, so why shouldn't he try to play in the olympics.

Mallpha
07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I doubt Kaman would ever make to dream team so why shouldnt he play for Germany stuff like this happends quite alot in football and no one really cares.

daleja424
07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Maybe I am just to idealistic. But i thought the olympics was about representing YOUR country. What has Germany ever done for Kaman???

Dirty Dirk41
07-05-2008, 01:18 PM

thank you....this dude is acting like Kaman is some scrub...is he a SUPERSTAR ALL NBA athlete..NO...but watch em next year with a healthy Brand and Baron Davis...And i much rather have kaman than Chandler on the U.S.A team.I just cant figure out why your so mad/angry over this. His great grandparents are from germany, making it part of him...really no big deal dude, u got ur panties all in a bunch really over a non issue

daleja424
07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I didnt bring up the issue. i just responded to the thread. I just disagree with what he is doing... but everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Mallpha
07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Maybe I am just to idealistic. But i thought the olympics was about representing YOUR country. What has Germany ever done for Kaman???

You are:)Olimpics now days aint really what it used to be actualy all the world cups etc aint think peoples in gerneral feell less and less related to their pleace and country of birth you just go where they want and need you.

mfudge
07-05-2008, 01:26 PM

WOW. You SERIOUSLY ARE TOO IDEALISTIC. Germany has given Kaman his ROOTS. I've never been to Japan but it doesn't mean I dont remember or care about where I've come from. There's still certain things I do here as a JAPANESE-American that is part of the JAPANESE culture and I'm a freakin 5th generation! We eat rice at almost every meal, we take our shoes off when entering a house, we eat ozoni on New Year's (look it up if you dont know what it is), we go to obon festivals to remember the dead, etc, etc. I live in america and am american but it doesn't take away from my roots as a Japanese-American. Kaman is German-American. It may not be outright in his appearance of the things he does on camera, but I'm sure there's still certain cultural things he does that are part of his German heritage. It's not like the dude is going to represent Afghanistan or Rwanda where he absolutely has no roots.

arlubas
07-05-2008, 03:02 PM

You're a fifth generation Japanese and you actually think people perceive you more as a japanese than an american? Cause if you do you're sadly mistaken. I can understand that you have some sort of honor for your heritage and I respect that, nothing wrong with it but if you ask me, you're far more american than japanese.

mfudge
07-05-2008, 03:15 PM
You're a fifth generation Japanese and you actually think people perceive you more as a japanese than an american? Cause if you do you're sadly mistaken. I can understand that you have some sort of honor for your heritage and I respect that, nothing wrong with it but if you ask me, you're far more american than japanese.

sure, i can be perceived by people however they want. if you looked at me, the first thing you would say is that i'm asian... then you might say a specific country... china, korea, japan, etc. you don't say, o, look at the american. but it doesn't matter how you or anyone perceives me. it does NOT take away from my identity no matter how many generations removed from japan i am. its in my blood, its in the things i do, its just not where i live anymore. am i more american than japanese? perhaps, but does that mean im no longer japanese? not at all. i'm not sure what the point is here? i'm STILL Japanese and Kaman is STILL German. let a guy represent a country that is STILL and ALWAYS WILL BE a part of his roots.

sixer04fan
07-05-2008, 03:23 PM
he's proud of his heritage... how is that wrong?

daleja424
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
he's proud of his heritage... how is that wrong?

b/c it has nothing to do with that... if he coulda played for the US team he woulda. but since he wasnt good enough he defaulted to germany. It isnt that he is proud of anything... its that the dude wants to play in the olypics and doesnt care who it is for... why I dont agree for.

US is a nation of immigrants. So i dont wanna hear about this blood and that blood. It isnt about that. We all have different heritages... but the fact remains that our allegiance is with OUR country, and should not be with some country that one of our ancestors lived in 100 years ago...

arlubas
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM
sure, i can be perceived by people however they want. if you looked at me, the first thing you would say is that i'm asian... then you might say a specific country... china, korea, japan, etc. you don't say, o, look at the american. but it doesn't matter how you or anyone perceives me. it does NOT take away from my identity no matter how many generations removed from japan i am. its in my blood, its in the things i do, its just not where i live anymore. am i more american than japanese? perhaps, but does that mean im no longer japanese? not at all. i'm not sure what the point is here? i'm STILL Japanese and Kaman is STILL German. let a guy represent a country that is STILL and ALWAYS WILL BE a part of his roots.

Do you see me holding him or something? :eyebrow:

So in other words, pretty much everyone in North America is either English or French and everyone on south America is Spanish and Portoguese by your reasoning. Hey it doesn't matter if they're 5 centuries separated from their countries, it's still in their blood so it's all good right?

homestarunner93
07-05-2008, 04:12 PM
He wasn't going to make the US team, plain and simple. He wanted to experience the Olympics, so he joined Germany. I don't have a problem with it at all, its still a huge upset if the US loses to Germany or any other team.

mfudge
07-06-2008, 05:33 AM

So in other words, pretty much everyone in North America is either English or French and everyone on south America is Spanish and Portoguese by your reasoning. Hey it doesn't matter if they're 5 centuries separated from their countries, it's still in their blood so it's all good right?

who said anything about holding him? :eyebrow::eyebrow:

but yea.. you got my point. :clap::clap::clap:

why isn't "all good" if its in their blood? what is he supposed to do? say, "naw, **** off Germany, I'm American now."? gimme a break. he could be 2000 years removed from LIVING in Germany, but it does NOT mean he isn't German. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp this concept. If his great grandparents were German, it doesn't just stop there and his grandparents were all of a sudden Spanish with no part of German in them. Just cuz you don't live there doesn't mean you can't represent it. Is he NOT German or something? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

arlubas
07-06-2008, 06:05 AM
who said anything about holding him? :eyebrow::eyebrow:

but yea.. you got my point. :clap::clap::clap:

why isn't "all good" if its in their blood? what is he supposed to do? say, "naw, **** off Germany, I'm American now."? gimme a break. he could be 2000 years removed from LIVING in Germany, but it does NOT mean he isn't German. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to grasp this concept. If his great grandparents were German, it doesn't just stop there and his grandparents were all of a sudden Spanish with no part of German in them. Just cuz you don't live there doesn't mean you can't represent it. Is he NOT German or something? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but if you're agreeing with the far fetched example I mentioned then I am also entitled to say I think that's ********.

Either way, you have your own view, I got my own. Let's just leave it at that cause I don't see this going anywhere.

Proballer
07-06-2008, 08:29 AM
I was taken aback when I learnt Kaman was German.
German national team did the same thing a few years ago with... Shawn Bradley!

Seventh King
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Just as long as he doesn't join the Woman's Auxillary Balloon Corp ....

kylem4711
07-06-2008, 10:32 AM
do you live in or did you grow up in Japan? Then Japan is not your country. It may be your heritage but it is not your country. If it is your country why don't you live there???

Its ok for Yao, Dirk, and Pau b/c they were born and grew up in the other country. They only became US citizens to play basketbal here. How is that relavent to Kaman, a fourth generation German???

I don't think it is ok for Becky either. I am just saying that she can use th money as an excuse. doesn't mean I think it is any better then kaman

what are you like 90 or something? get with the times. its perfectly fine

kylem4711
07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
b/c it has nothing to do with that... if he coulda played for the US team he woulda. but since he wasnt good enough he defaulted to germany. It isnt that he is proud of anything... its that the dude wants to play in the olypics and doesnt care who it is for... why I dont agree for.

US is a nation of immigrants. So i dont wanna hear about this blood and that blood. It isnt about that. We all have different heritages... but the fact remains that our allegiance is with OUR country, and should not be with some country that one of our ancestors lived in 100 years ago...

how do you know all that? did you ask him? all of what you have been saying is opinion, some people have different opinions. yours is no better than anyone elses

Debater Mike
07-06-2008, 11:35 AM
The Olympic games are not contests pitting amateurs competing against other amateurs for the honor of their countryland. If you want to fix the problem (if one even exists) then you fix the Olympic system. Don't blame or have anger with Chris Kaman or the others who simply want to showcase their skill in the Olympic games. Situations such as anger over Kaman et al occur when idyllic knaves believe that the Olympics are something other then big business operating under the guise of the Westphalian system system.

NoSense
07-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Yeah it's all good but the point is that if everybody that hasn't made a team tries to look for a rebound team, like Kaman actually does, where is the national pride? I bet Kaman doesn't even talk German...

arlubas
07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah it's all good but the point is that if everybody that hasn't made a team tries to look for a rebound team, like Kaman actually does, where is the national pride? I bet Kaman doesn't even talk German...

I think you misunderstood me. I'm with you on this one.

junion
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
By your logic.. Hakeem, Ewing, and Duncan should never had played for Team USA...

.. and maybe kobe shouldn't play either because his dad played some basketball in italy...

i don't see anything wrong with kaman playing for germany. if someone was born in the us, but their parents were both born in mexico, does that make that someone any less mexican?

pretty much everyone in america has bloodline from somewhere else (excluding the native americans i guess), so what's wrong with someone playing for a country thats in their bloodline?

also he's not even part of the usa team, so it's not like he's rejecting a usa invitation to play against germany...

nothing wrong... the problem is this thread... stupid.. .he can play in germany if he wants.

it would only be an issue if usa wins the gold this year, then in the next olympics, he wants to join the usa team, an issue, but not necessarily a problem

ink
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
No reason why Kaman shouldn't do this. It happens all the time.

michaelb2254
07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
He's too white to play for the USA

lalakobe24
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
jordan farmar should join team germany

ink
07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
btw, USA had no problem accepting Kenyan-born Bernard Lagat's double gold medals (1500m and 5000m) at the Track and Field World Championships last year. He became an American in 2005 after a drug ban and gave up his Kenyan citizenship. If the USA can accept two gold medals from a Kenyan, why shouldn't the Germans accept someone like Kaman who has legitimate German ancestry?

scottie
07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Hello people-- The lights are on anyone home?

If you are playing against your country that is a shame. GreatGrand Parents... Give me a break. I'm sure we're all African, European, or Middle Eastern. In the Olympics it is country playing against country, not I'll go here to play, or I'll go there to play. What a sick joke

mfudge
07-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Hello people-- The lights are on anyone home?

If you are playing against your country that is a shame. GreatGrand Parents... Give me a break. I'm sure we're all African, European, or Middle Eastern. In the Olympics it is country playing against country, not I'll go here to play, or I'll go there to play. What a sick joke

so what do Yao, Dirk, and Nash do? what IS their country? The US or China, Germany, and Canada respectively? Give ME a break.

Is Chris Kaman German? YES. Being German entitles you to play for Germany. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. End of story.

arlubas
07-08-2008, 05:30 AM
btw, USA had no problem accepting Kenyan-born Bernard Lagat's double gold medals (1500m and 5000m) at the Track and Field World Championships last year. He became an American in 2005 after a drug ban and gave up his Kenyan citizenship. If the USA can accept two gold medals from a Kenyan, why shouldn't the Germans accept someone like Kaman who has legitimate German ancestry?
The fact that it happens doesn't mean it's right also. We're talking about what is morally right here, not if this can actually be done.

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Is Chris Kaman German? YES. Being German entitles you to play for Germany. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. End of story.

So you're saying if a Chinese guy was born in America and lived there for his whole life, he has a chance to play for China?

That's total bull ****!

You shouldn't be eligible for another country because of your ethnicity... That's bull ****...

That's like having Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudamire, Michael Redd, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady, Shaquille O'Neal, Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Elton Brand, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Greg Oden, David West, Tyson Chandler, Rasheed Wallace, and LaMarcus Aldridge all flee the country to play for Africa.

That's BULL ****.

daleja424
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
so what do Yao, Dirk, and Nash do? what IS their country? The US or China, Germany, and Canada respectively? Give ME a break.

dude... yao dirk and nash were not born or raised in the country. For that reason they are free to play for the country they have allegence too. That is a little different then Kaman who is like 5th generation German on one side. So I have like 10 different "countries" in me. Does that mean I could play for any of them... no. Im not playing for Cuba, PR, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, England, Iceland, or any other country that one of my ancestors were from b/c they are not my country. The USA opened the door to my family during times when our previous countries went through hardship and so my allegiance is to the USA... not to a place I have never before even visited...

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
dude... yao dirk and nash were not born or raised in the country. For that reason they are free to play for the country they have allegence too. That is a little different then Kaman who is like 5th generation German on one side. So I have like 10 different "countries" in me. Does that mean I could play for any of them... no. Im not playing for Cuba, PR, Ireland, Scotland, Spain, England, Iceland, or any other country that one of my ancestors were from b/c they are not my country. The USA opened the door to my family during times when our previous countries went through hardship and so my allegiance is to the USA... not to a place I have never before even visited...

:clap:

The moral of this thread: Kaman is ungrateful and would turn his back on the US in a split second.

I still like Chris Kaman though. I just look at him a little differently now.

lavis
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
A free trip to China.. A few warmup games for the NBA season.. Nothing wrong there..

TMAC94
07-08-2008, 08:15 AM
if he wanted too play for the usa team, and didnt get in then thought hey my grandparents are german i can play then thats wrong if he thought i he wanted for the german team regardless about getting into the usa team then its okay

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 08:20 AM
if he wanted too play for the usa team, and didnt get in then thought hey my grandparents are german i can play then thats wrong if he thought i he wanted for the german team regardless about getting into the usa team then its okay

I'm sorry dude I just can't accept any excuses from Chris Kaman.

There are people in this world right now as of this minute wanting to get in the USA so bad, and Kaman just turns his cheeks on the country he should be grateful towards.

I don't care if he's 1% German or a 100% German, if you're born in America that's your COUNTRY. This isn't about ethnicity.

If it was about ethnicity, I don't see Kobe, Dwight, LeBron, and Chris Paul wanting to play for Africa... These guys are grateful that they have the opportunity to play for USA... I know Kobe is, hell he cried when he saw his name on the back of his USA jersey

pebloemer
07-08-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm sorry dude I just can't accept any excuses from Chris Kaman.

There are people in this world right now as of this minute wanting to get in the USA so bad, and Kaman just turns his cheeks on the country he should be grateful towards.

I don't care if he's 1% German or a 100% German, if you're born in America that's your COUNTRY. This isn't about ethnicity.

If it was about ethnicity, I don't see Kobe, Dwight, LeBron, and Chris Paul wanting to play for Africa... These guys are grateful that they have the opportunity to play for USA... I know Kobe is, hell he cried when he saw his name on the back of his USA jersey

I have no problem with a guy wanting to play for his heritage. I have been born in Canada, my parents were born in Canada, but my grandparents were born in Holland. Still, the closest connection to any sense of national pride is to Holland. I present myself as Dutch before Canadian. On any note, whatever connection Kaman has to his heritage, if it is important to him, why do you care?

If I was born in South Africa and moved when I was one years old to Canada would South Africa be my country??? Because by your logic it would be. But you are wrong, your country is the place you have citizenship to. Kaman has dual citizenship to Germany and the U.S., so those are his countries. He can play where he pleases.

I understand that Americans have a strong sense of patriotism, moreso than Canadians, so maybe I do not understand the analogy of "turning the cheeks on the country" but people can feel connected to multiple countries in very profound ways and I see no problem in a player wanting to play for that country (provided he has citizenship).

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 08:53 AM
if it is important to him, why do you care?

I can't stop him, I can only criticize him.

Why do I care?

Because playing for a country shows dedication and gratitude... How can Kaman "thank" Germany? Hell he doesn't even live there!

You need to look at things in another perspective and another culture to catch my drift...

Think if a Japanese boy who grew up in Japan his whole life (not knowing any English) wanted to play for USA just because he immigrated to the states... Say this Japanese boy was like a star in many Japanese people's eyes, and he tells his people he wants to represent the United States in the olympics... I bet you his family would take that offensively...

Kaman playing for Germany in a exhibition tournament? No problem. Playing in the olympics? BIG problem.

Olympics defines a man's dedication and thanks to his country by trying to compete with other countries to show who comes out on top... Tell me why Jamaican people went nuts when one of their people got a gold medal in track n field? It's all about representing one's culture and country.

Kaman NEVER LIVED IN GERMANY. HOW CAN HE SHOW DEDICATION AND GRATITUDE TOWARDS GERMANY? What kind of patriotic German story is that? Dirk represents Germany because why? He was born there and has lived there...

How would French people act if Tony Parker represented Ireland just because he had a great grandfather from Ireland?

You just don't take the Olympics quite seriously as it should be taken...

pebloemer
07-08-2008, 09:08 AM
You need to look at things in another perspective and another culture to catch my drift...

Think if a Japanese boy who grew up in Japan his whole life (not knowing any English) wanted to play for USA just because he immigrated to the states... Say this Japanese boy was like a star in many Japanese people's eyes, and he tells his people he wants to represent the United States in the olympics... I bet you his family would take that offensively...

Kaman playing for Germany in a exhibition tournament? No problem. Playing in the olympics? BIG problem.

Olympics defines a man's dedication and thanks to his country by trying to compete with other countries to show who comes out on top... Tell me why Jamaican people went nuts when one of their people got a gold medal in track n field? It's all about representing one's culture and country.

Kaman NEVER HAS LIVED IN GERMANY. HOW CAN HE SHOW DEDICATION AND GRATITUDE TOWARDS GERMANY? What kind of patriotic German story is that? Dirk represents Germany because why? He was born there and has lived there...

How would French people act if Tony Parker represented Ireland just because he had a great grandfather from Ireland...

So being born some place and living some place defines a human beings connection to that place?

I catch your drift, I just disagree with you.

I absolutely agree that the context of the situation should be taken into account, I just don't think you know near enough of the context to judge the situation. You know that his great-grandfather was from Germany. You know nothing else about his family's connection to their German roots.

So you would be fine if he played for his country in other tournaments, just not olympics?? See that is something that perhaps I can't understand the way you do. Again, I understand that American patriotism is very strong, but do you understand that not every other country shares that same sense of patriotism? This is not a national matter, it is an international matter. Canadians have left Canada to play for England in the World Cup before and it has not been a problem here.

Maybe from our different perspectives, we will just have to agree to disagree.

pebloemer
07-08-2008, 09:12 AM
You just don't take the Olympics quite seriously as it should be taken...

Well I can just as easily say "you take the Olympics far too seriously than it should be taken."

It doesn't make you or I right, it just shows varying perspectives....

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Like I said, Jamaica went nuts when their people got gold medal in track n field.

It isn't just "Americans" that are so overly patriotic.

It's just the level of pride that you take in what you do for your country... Some people have it, some people don't... You clearly don't care, and that's why you wouldn't make it as an olympian...

pebloemer
07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Like I said, Jamaica went nuts when their people got gold medal in track n field.

It isn't just "Americans" that are so overly patriotic.

It's just the level of pride that you take in what you do for your country... Some people have it, some people don't... You clearly don't care, and that's why you wouldn't make it as an olympian...

Let me know when you get your first medal.

I think my ability to perform as an athlete would prevent me from becoming an olympian. It is in fact the grandest stage for athletic competition.

Don't tell me I don't care, I am a big supporter of Canadian athletes and Dutch athletes that compete and watch the olympics with pride and pleasure. I just don't care about other people's decisions to pay for countries that they feel connected to - even if they "are turning their cheeks" on Canada to do so. I feel it is ignorant to say that because someone gets citizenship to play for a country they are connected to they are turning their back on the country they live in. People can feel pride for multiple countries.

ink
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
It is common for people to adopt a country in order to compete in the best games on the planet. There is nothing unusual or wrong about what Kaman is doing. He just wants to play in the Olympics ... and he has legitimate heritage to do so.

Like I said, when Americans insist on giving back the double gold medals (Kenyan runner) Bernard Lagat won for them at the World Championships last year, I'll take this thread seriously. Here's a video (http://track.flocasts.org/videos/speaker/137-bernard-lagat/4725-bernard-lagat-world-championships) of Lagat doing a victory lap with the American flag ... even though he's Kenyan through and through. No word yet on whether Americans are planning to give back his two gold medals. Let's not be hypocrites people.

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Let me know when you get your first medal.

I think my ability to perform as an athlete would prevent me from becoming an olympian. It is in fact the grandest stage for athletic competition.

Don't tell me I don't care, I am a big supporter of Canadian athletes and Dutch athletes that compete and watch the olympics with pride and pleasure. I just don't care about other people's decisions to pay for countries that they feel connected to - even if they "are turning their cheeks" on Canada to do so. I feel it is ignorant to say that because someone gets citizenship to play for a country they are connected to they are turning their back on the country they live in. People can feel pride for multiple countries.

Lol, I was just kidding man. I know I wouldn't make it as an olympian. I smoke too much :P

Well I didn't mean to offend you, I was just trying to get a point across... So I apologize.

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
It is common for people to adopt a country in order to compete in the best games on the planet. There is nothing unusual or wrong about what Kaman is doing. He just wants to play in the Olympics ... and he has legitimate heritage to do so.

Like I said, when Americans insist on giving back the double gold medals (Kenyan runner) Bernard Lagat won for them at the World Championships last year, I'll take this thread seriously. Here's a video (http://track.flocasts.org/videos/speaker/137-bernard-lagat/4725-bernard-lagat-world-championships) of Lagat doing a victory lap with the American flag ... even though he's Kenyan through and through. No word yet on whether Americans are planning to give back his two gold medals. Let's not be hypocrites people.

Well then I hope most of the NBA doesn't want to play for their country of origin... Because Africa will win olympic basketball every year till humanity exists no more.

pebloemer
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Lol, I was just kidding man. I know I wouldn't make it as an olympian. I smoke too much :P

Well I didn't mean to offend you, I was just trying to get a point across... So I apologize.

Fair enough, water under the bridge my friend.

Atticus Finch
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Being born in a country has nothing to do with heritage. One of my best friends in high school had 2 "american" parents, one of which was in the air force and stationed in Germany. He was born in Germany, he has German citizenship, but does that make him a German? He has absolutely no blood line connections with anyone in germany, its just a mere coincidence that he was born in Germany.

Citzenship does not equal heritage, were talking about 2 entirely different things here. All of my family is Greek, therefore I am a Greek United States citizen. I consider the US my home country of course, but being born here does not make me any less Greek.

I would love for Kaman to represent the US National team, but the fact of the matter is he couldnt make it. If I was put in the same position, and I had to opportunity to honor my FAMILY and HERITAGE by playing for Greece in the Olympics, assuming I couldnt make the US olympic team, i would do it in a heart beat. I dont care what some overly nationalistic people would think, Im honoring my family, and honoring my family always comes before honoring my country.

Atticus Finch
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Well then I hope most of the NBA doesn't want to play for their country of origin... Because Africa will win olympic basketball every year till humanity exists no more.

hahaha, if everyone did that then every human would be playing for Africa in every sport. Least interesting olympics ever.

mfudge
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM

And would you have a problem with all of the NBA athletes going "home" to play for "Africa"?

Crunchy12489
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
And would you have a problem with all of the NBA athletes going "home" to play for "Africa"?

Yeah, because they weren't born there... But if that happened to be their choice, you can't really do much about it.

ink
07-08-2008, 10:18 PM

Huh? :confused: Most don't want to play for their country of origin. The point is that there's nothing wrong with the exceptions that do.

Personally, this thread has just made me interested in seeing Kaman and Nowitzki together for Deutschland.

MGB
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM

You're too idealistic. The Olympics are only about making money for corporations of the world, otherwise, they wouldn't exist. ;)

MGB
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM

Duh, there'd be no teams for Africa to compete against, technically speaking, EVERYONE is a descendant of Africa... :p

SHONIE
07-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Good for Kaman, but Germany is still going to get dismantled.