PDA

View Full Version : Hell on Earth: The one and only... Oklahoma!

Baller1
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
How funny is this...AskMen.com named Oklahoma #5 in the list of top 10 Hells on Earth...the only U.S. city on the list! What I find most funny is that Oklahoma is considered a worse place to live than these 5 hells on earth:

#10: Baghdad, Iraq
The city has been irreversibly damaged by the Gulf War and years of Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship. Since the U.S. invasion, lootings, robberies, kidnappings, and sexual assaults have been rife, but it is the daily slaughter of troops, journalists and civilians that terrify the most. Open-top bus tours of the city have become a regular feature, ripped open by bombs underneath seats. Although recent years have seen a physical curfew lifted, a psychological one still remains and the streets of Baghdad have been left largely deserted.

#9: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Despite enduring political instability, military suppression and devastation from war and natural disaster, the capital of Bangladesh faces a new crisis over critically high pollution levels. Rapid industrial development along with the 9.7 million tons of waste dumped in the river by the city each year means it's only a matter of time before disease takes hold.

#8: Yakutsk, Russia
Officially the coldest place on earth, temperatures here often drop to a hypothermia-inducing -58°F and a thick fog often reduces visibility to no more than 10 meters in front of you. Also, its sheer isolation - a whole six time zones away from Moscow.

#7: Mogadishu, East Africa
A city where hierarchy is forever in negotiation and in 1992, a rebel war destroyed much of the city with thousands of casualties, and a badly timed drought induced nationwide famine. Despite the city practically closing down, confusion over the head of state continues today and Mogadishu is largely lawless, with no structure of real peacekeeping present.

#6: Chernobyl, Ukraine
Famed for a nuclear explosion that tore through the city in 1986 and contaminated most of its living organisms, everything is still largely abandoned and remains as it was 20 years ago, with hundreds of miles of uninhabitable space, deserted buildings and poisoned lakes and rivers. In fact, there’s an exclusion zone of 30 kilometers that probably won’t be inhabitable for hundreds of years.

#5: OKLAHOMA
The weather is frighteningly unpredictable, with blizzards often descending on the city and winds that could knock a high rise clean off its feet. It is, after all, located in the direct path of “Tornado Alley.” The worst time to visit would be from March to August, when "The Day After Tomorrow"-style weather is pretty much expected. In fact, the severe weather season makes Dorothy’s Kansas look positively calm, with Oklahoma City being the city worst affected by tornadoes in the United States. One of the most powerful tornadoes on record -- an F5 with wind speeds of 320 mph -- devastated much of the city in 1999, securing its place on our list of hells on earth.

What kind of idiot would think this #5 hell on earth would be a better place for an NBA team than the beautiful Emerald City?

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/travel_top_ten_200/226_travel_top_ten.html

HAHAHA... **** Bennett. I hope those tornadoes blow the Sonics right back to the Emerald City where they belong!!!

The83rdWonder
07-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I heard in Chernobyl you could catch some good radioactive mutated fish in the summer.

Pran Raznor
07-04-2008, 05:52 PM
If anything should be banished to Oklahoma City it should be EMO!

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Haha wow..

Baller1
07-04-2008, 06:05 PM
This might be one of the funniest/most satisfying articles I've ever seen.

kazzy4080
07-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I heard in Chernobyl you could catch some good radioactive mutated fish in the summer.

since there arent that many humans around, a lot of wildlife has returned to that area and you can find high populations of animals that dont have high populations in surrounding areas

grega1976
07-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow how long are we going to have to listen to whiney Seattle fans complain about Oklahoma. If Seattle was a better place to have an NBA team they would have kept it there.. The fact is that Seattle as a city didn't support their team so the team left. If they would have built a new arena or upgraded the one they had the team would have stayed.. To blame Oklahoma is rediculous when Seattle had every chance to keep their team.. Oh and BTW before it even comes up I am not from Oklahoma, and have never lived there.. I just think Seattle fans are being sore loosers..

Pran Raznor
07-04-2008, 07:11 PM
^It's not the fans fault they left. So, they have a right to be bitter...their just venting

Baller1
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow how long are we going to have to listen to whiney Seattle fans complain about Oklahoma. If Seattle was a better place to have an NBA team they would have kept it there.. The fact is that Seattle as a city didn't support their team so the team left. If they would have built a new arena or upgraded the one they had the team would have stayed.. To blame Oklahoma is rediculous when Seattle had every chance to keep their team.. Oh and BTW before it even comes up I am not from Oklahoma, and have never lived there.. I just think Seattle fans are being sore loosers..

Thats nice, I'm sick of ignorant people who claim to be NBA fans while they ignore the fact that the NBA is a complete joke these days. If Oklahoma was a better place, they would have as many sports franchises as Seattle. If Oklahoma was a better place, they wouldn't be a top 5 hell on earth. If Oklahoma was a better place, they wouldn't be the smallest market in the entire NBA. Stop ignoring the facts, stop making ridiculous commnets, stop acting all high and mighty. I can complain as much as I want about Seattle, Oklahoma, and the entire situation considering I'm a victim of the situation.

OUfan4life15
07-04-2008, 07:35 PM
There's nothing wrong about complaining about the loss of your team, but your taking it to another level with the bashing of Oklahoma. As I said previously in another topic, Seattle ranked 28th in league attendance last year...where the hell were all those people complaining on the street when they knew their team could be leaving? Why the hell are you blaming Oklahoma and making stupid *** comments about the state and it's people? Bennet is the one to blame, there isn't any point in bashing Oklahoma. You need to take a bit of your own and advice, and "stop making ridiculous comments".

Grow up, seriously. How old are you that you have to resort to the level of child with this crap? I can see having a little hate for Oklahoma I guess, but as I said grow up, it's not Oklahoma's fault. Bad mouth Bennet, bad mouth your own state and it's fans for being 28th in attendance, just get off Oklahoma's back already.

grega1976
07-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Thats nice, I'm sick of ignorant people who claim to be NBA fans while they ignore the fact that the NBA is a complete joke these days. If Oklahoma was a better place, they would have as many sports franchises as Seattle. If Oklahoma was a better place, they wouldn't be a top 5 hell on earth. If Oklahoma was a better place, they wouldn't be the smallest market in the entire NBA. Stop ignoring the facts, stop making ridiculous commnets, stop acting all high and mighty. I can complain as much as I want about Seattle, Oklahoma, and the entire situation considering I'm a victim of the situation.

hA the victim huh.. Do you work at Key Arena? those are the victims.. actually I agree that the NBA is a joke.... Oklahoma City is the perfect place for an NBA team for the exact reasons you stated above... its a ****ty place with out much to do, and the team doesn't have to compete with any other sports franchises.. It's a financally better move for the ownership. OKC sold out every single home game the Hornets played their its in this article http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2615818.. They have newer, and nicer arena.. the property value in OKC is lower so they pay less in rent.. The economy is one of the fastest growing in the US.. There is a huge list of reasons why a team would want to locate there..

Baller1
07-05-2008, 12:59 AM
There's nothing wrong about complaining about the loss of your team, but your taking it to another level with the bashing of Oklahoma. As I said previously in another topic, Seattle ranked 28th in league attendance last year...where the hell were all those people complaining on the street when they knew their team could be leaving? Why the hell are you blaming Oklahoma and making stupid *** comments about the state and it's people? Bennet is the one to blame, there isn't any point in bashing Oklahoma. You need to take a bit of your own and advice, and "stop making ridiculous comments".

Grow up, seriously. How old are you that you have to resort to the level of child with this crap? I can see having a little hate for Oklahoma I guess, but as I said grow up, it's not Oklahoma's fault. Bad mouth Bennet, bad mouth your own state and it's fans for being 28th in attendance, just get off Oklahoma's back already.

Hmmm... let's see, considering we had the smallest facility in the NBA, how are we supposed to compete with other teams with a disadvantage from the start. You're trying to argue with me about the facts of the Seattle Sonics like I don't follow them. Oh, and you're bashing me like I made this list of hell's on earth. It's not my list, it's just a list I saw that made me laugh and hate Bennett more. Honestly, if you don't like me, I really don't care. You're not in my situation, and fortunately for you, you'll probably never have to be. I'm a true diehard fan for all Seattle teams, and seeing one of them getting stripped from our great city after all these years is frustrating. So, how about you get off my back... thank you.

Baller1
07-05-2008, 01:07 AM
hA the victim huh.. Do you work at Key Arena? those are the victims.. actually I agree that the NBA is a joke.... Oklahoma City is the perfect place for an NBA team for the exact reasons you stated above... its a ****ty place with out much to do, and the team doesn't have to compete with any other sports franchises.. It's a financally better move for the ownership. OKC sold out every single home game the Hornets played their its in this article http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2615818.. They have newer, and nicer arena.. the property value in OKC is lower so they pay less in rent.. The economy is one of the fastest growing in the US.. There is a huge list of reasons why a team would want to locate there..

Thats nice and everything, but that doesn't change the fact that Oklahoma has the smallest market in the NBA being around 46 or 47th in the nation. Also, did you know the fans of Seattle, reporters, media, everyone was shunned from the players of the Sonics all season. No postgame interviews, no 1 on 1's with the players, nothing. Yet, we still respected the team, still attended games, and had higher attendance than 2 other teams, who probably had much larger facilities. Key Arena only seated 17,000, how do you expect us not be at the bottom of the list? Theres a powerful video in my sig that might help replicate what I'm saying. Yeah it might only be one game, but shows how much the fans of Seattle care(d).

BADizzleBoY
07-05-2008, 01:08 AM
man, sucks for ou fans.

lakersrock
07-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Hmmm... let's see, considering we had the smallest facility in the NBA, how are we supposed to compete with other teams with a disadvantage from the start. You're trying to argue with me about the facts of the Seattle Sonics like I don't follow them. Oh, and you're bashing me like I made this list of hell's on earth. It's not my list, it's just a list I saw that made me laugh and hate Bennett more. Honestly, if you don't like me, I really don't care. You're not in my situation, and fortunately for you, you'll probably never have to be. I'm a true diehard fan for all Seattle teams, and seeing one of them getting stripped from our great city after all these years is frustrating. So, how about you get off my back... thank you.

It has nothing to do with the size of the arena. That 28th is based on how empty the arena is every game. On the other hand, OKC was 15th for two years in a row (and higher than some playoff teams) with a crappy team that we knew was leaving. Everybody outside of Seattle knows exactly why they left. Too bad all the richer, smarter and better people there don't know how to read anything that is outside of such an amazing city. :rolleyes:

....about the thread, you're more obsessed with Oklahoma and it's people than you are the culprit behind you losing your team. If you would actually talk about the person that took your team instead of where he moved them, people might take your posts half-seriously.

Baller1
07-05-2008, 01:35 AM
It has nothing to do with the size of the arena. That 28th is based on how empty the arena is every game. On the other hand, OKC was 15th for two years in a row (and higher than some playoff teams) with a crappy team that we knew was leaving. Everybody outside of Seattle knows exactly why they left. Too bad all the richer, smarter and better people there don't know how to read anything that is outside of such an amazing city. :rolleyes:

....about the thread, you're more obsessed with Oklahoma and it's people than you are the culprit behind you losing your team. If you would actually talk about the person that took your team instead of where he moved them, people might take your posts half-seriously.

If you sold out every home game like some of you are claiming, how in the hell were you 15th?!?

I don't get what you guys are mad about, I'm not the one said Oklahoma was Hell on Earth. Don't blame me.

DreamShaker
07-05-2008, 01:42 AM
I think Oklahoma isn't half bad....it's a trillion times better than Arkansas...

BH-Sports
07-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Its just his opinion since he is a SEATTLE SUPERSONICS fan. Bro.. first of all size of the arena has alot to do with attendance. ITS NOT their fault they are completely rebuilding with Kevin Durant DOING EVERY thing.

BH-Sports
07-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I think Oklahoma isn't half bad....it's a trillion times better than Arkansas...

haha. funny. personally.. i never even heard of Oklahoma.. i mean i memorized it for my geographic test and stuff but.. what are they famous for?? sooner?? idk.. i just think its a really bad idea. what if a tornado hits and the whole stadium comes crashin down. PUT IT ON YOUTUBE

Baller1
07-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Its just his opinion since he is a SEATTLE SUPERSONICS fan. Bro.. first of all size of the arena has alot to do with attendance. ITS NOT their fault they are completely rebuilding with Kevin Durant DOING EVERY thing.

I don't get it, some people are putting themselves in my position and being empathetic, while others think I'm a complete dick?! :shrug: Whatever...

DreamShaker
07-05-2008, 02:15 AM
haha. funny. personally.. i never even heard of Oklahoma.. i mean i memorized it for my geographic test and stuff but.. what are they famous for?? sooner?? idk.. i just think its a really bad idea. what if a tornado hits and the whole stadium comes crashin down. PUT IT ON YOUTUBE

Well I am a Texan through and through...mostly around the Houston Area all my life....but I live near Oklahoma now....about 20 minutes away in Wichita Falls....still in Texas but close to Oklahoma....I can assure you the tornadoes aren't as bad as people are making em out to be....and there is a 0% chance of a tornado destroying a sports arena....hurricanes cause alot more damage than tornadoes....and even in Katrina no stadiums were destroyed....not even remotely close.....and Oklahoma is like....just alot of chill people from what i've seen...but I don't know much about Oklahoma City at all....i'm sure it is significantly more lively than the areas i've been...

vigilantex69
07-05-2008, 02:43 AM

Exactly. Its not the teams fault the city doesn't support the team? It would be like bashing the Rams from moving from L.A. to St. Louis when obviously NOBODY goes to watch pro football in Los Angeles!!

vigilantex69
07-05-2008, 02:47 AM
And I lived in Dallas for over 12 years and Oklahoma City is about 3 hours away. I guarantee you Oklahoma City is no worse than any city in Texas weather wise. You guys have just watched the movie Twister way too many times. Also, I am personally happy the Sonics moved as well considering I like to see smaller market cities get pro sports teams. Its good to see more of a variation spread out. And chill the hell out Seattle, you got the Seahawks and the Mariners still.

NoSense
07-05-2008, 02:53 AM

Don't you think it's a little too much to call yourself a victim?

The team in OK won't even have the same name, colors and jersey.

The decision to leave Seattle is sad but that's a business and personal motivated decision. Unless you come up with all that money needed for KeyArena, then you might just be over it....

I don't really get why Oklahoma is on that list. I really did like it personally....

Baller1
07-05-2008, 03:11 AM
And I lived in Dallas for over 12 years and Oklahoma City is about 3 hours away. I guarantee you Oklahoma City is no worse than any city in Texas weather wise. You guys have just watched the movie Twister way too many times. Also, I am personally happy the Sonics moved as well considering I like to see smaller market cities get pro sports teams. Its good to see more of a variation spread out. And chill the hell out Seattle, you got the Seahawks and the Mariners still.

Coming from someone from Texas, who has more basketball teams than we do pro sports franchises. Sorry, but we have (had) one NBA team to support, not three.

Newport05
07-05-2008, 03:37 AM
This might be one of the funniest/most satisfying articles I've ever seen.

Cry me a river:cry:

Your team is gone get over it. Seattle is not much better don't you still have the highest suicide rate in the US? Is that cause of the bad performing sport teams that never win titles? Or is it the fact that it rains everyday? refresh my memory cause i seemed to have forgot.

vigilantex69
07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Coming from someone from Texas, who has more basketball teams than we do pro sports franchises. Sorry, but we have (had) one NBA team to support, not three.

Right, but see the difference is.. Texas is about as big as half the United States. Also the three cities that have the Spurs, Mavericks, and Rockets are enormous cities. Not so much San Antonio, but I love it just because the fact that San Antonio has nothing else. Just like Oklahoma City would have nothing else. The city really revolves around the team. I mean if anything move the Clippers to Seattle. It's not like L.A. is really big enough to support two teams anyway.

grega1976
07-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Right, but see the difference is.. Texas is about as big as half the United States. Also the three cities that have the Spurs, Mavericks, and Rockets are enormous cities. Not so much San Antonio, but I love it just because the fact that San Antonio has nothing else. Just like Oklahoma City would have nothing else. The city really revolves around the team. I mean if anything move the Clippers to Seattle. It's not like L.A. is really big enough to support two teams anyway.

Actually SA is larger than Dallas..Houston is 4th largest city in US SA is the 7th and Dallas is 9th. But you're right about the city not having anything else and being a great city for Basketball.. One example of that is the support of sponsors. OKC has 5 seven-figure sponsors.. Most large market teams would be happy to have one.. Lakers don't even have 1 seven-figure sponsor.. OKC will be completely commited to this team..

bignate14
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM

thats why its called the OK state nothin great

plus if america had a ******* it would be oklahoma

bignate14
07-05-2008, 10:52 PM

yeah but the mariners suck
and the seahawks will never win a superbowl

grega1976
07-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Thats sad.. were you educated in California public schools? :(

chad311k9
07-06-2008, 12:43 AM
yeah last years attendance was tainted by the fact that bennett ripped apart everything that resembled the sonics in less than 3 months. theres a lot of people 50 and older that were huge diehard Sonic fans. you think they had anything to be excited for when Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis were let go? they didn't even have a chance to become familiar with the new player because bennett wouldn't allow any interviews. it's not Oklahomas fault, but yes i agree it would be a ****ty place to live.

Clay Bennetts fault for being gay about his city of Oklahoma

Howard Shultzs fault for being greedy by selling the team when it wasn't making any money.

if anyone abandoned the team it wasn't the fans, it was Shultz!

Baller1
07-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Thats sad.. were you educated in California public schools? :(

:confused:

I am...

grega1976
07-06-2008, 11:58 PM
:confused:

I am...

I'm sorry..

cahawk
07-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Oklahoma is a joke for an NBA franchise in any long term scenario.
The sleazy owner & nba commish Stern's behavior to destroy that franchise to steal the team really makes me question the inegrity of the NBA.

cahawk
07-07-2008, 04:01 AM
I read some of these posts and I am amazed. Do some NBA fans really don't know the team was bought and intentionally sabotoged to destroy fan loyalty? Great pretext for moving but so, so transparent.

znick21
07-07-2008, 04:42 AM

haha so the clippers are seattles consolation prize? no city deserves that.

anyway if i was a fan of anything oklahoma i personally wouldn't be excited to get a new team. and i know everyone probably thinks i'm full of crap but in all honesty that is how i feel. i hate when franchises move cities because that is truly when business overrules the game itself and all integrity has gone out of the window. because what is the point of even being a fan of a franchise if they could just up and move out of nowhere to a random city.

and i know, i live in portland and we've been on the list to get an mlb team everytime one of them is thinking about relocating. i would love to see a team in portland but overall i was against it everytime because of the ramifications of the original cities fanbase.

and for everyone bashing the dude for venting about the sonics give him a break he just lost his team. i think he has every right to be outraged and irrational at this point.

grega1976
07-07-2008, 09:47 PM
and for everyone bashing the dude for venting about the sonics give him a break he just lost his team. i think he has every right to be outraged and irrational at this point.

Ahhh I got it.. I didn't understand he was an owner.. he didn't lose ****.. he can still cheer on whatever team he wants.. It's still the same players, the biggest difference will be the name and colors, oh and now they'll actually sell tickets...:rolleyes: