PDA

View Full Version : Would Wolves fans do this trade?

R3aZoN
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Jason Terry for Rashad McCants straight up.

Preuss-is-right
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Thats a tough one but I'd maybe do it. That way we would have a capible pg if Telfair isnt resigned. I dunno though, Terry is getting up there and probably has a couple good years left whereas McCants possibly has many more. Thats a tough one.

R3aZoN
07-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Wolves Scenario:
You guys need a PG. Although Terry is a natural SG, he was the PG for the Mavs when Steve Nash departed. Terry averages about 16 PPG.

Mavs Scenario:
We're too old. Terry is entering his 10th season in the NBA and we need to inject some youth into our lineup. McCants is only 24 and has some potential to improve. He averages about 15 PPG.

R3aZoN
07-04-2008, 03:39 PM
We'd have to send over some cash though.

IowaAJ
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
yes I would do that

SpeeMN
07-04-2008, 05:00 PM
YES!! Terry is better and more experienced. He can step in and lead at the guard spot. I wish but is this only your imagination or did you read it?

WolvesFan23
07-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I dont know Terry is a tweener combo guard who would fit in the point nice and we would be in the playoff hunt with him. McCants is starting to scratch the roof of his potential and could be the next Wade if he can put it all together

C-Love
PF-Jefferson
SF-Brewer
SG-Miller
PG-Terry
6-Foye

I think thats a playoff team

#1 wolves fam
07-04-2008, 08:12 PM
mccants will be able to do it longer than terry so no

WolvesFan23
07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Would Terry make us a playoff team?

boeknows
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Id say no just because Terry isnt going to put us over the edge and i would rather get someone younger.

R3aZoN
07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
McCants won't be the next DWade, but he will be a decent SG with the right coaching. Terry gives you a threat from 3 pt range and the 1 + 2 guard combo. His contract still has 4 years left on it, which is about how much longer he can still be effective IMO.

And btw, this is just me brainstorming. I'd love for the Mavs to pursue McCants, but I don't think the idea has ever crossed their minds. Just a wishful fan thinking. The Mavs are way too old and we need some productive youths like McCants.

timberwolvesfan
07-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Jason Terry for Rashad McCants straight up.

Heck no. Terry makes too much $$ and he's too old. He'll be owed like 12 mil. when he's 34--no thanks.

timberwolvesfan
07-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Id say no just because Terry isnt going to put us over the edge and i would rather get someone younger.

Age has nothing to do with it--and is McCants gonna put us over the top? I'd take Terry if he made less $$. That'd be the sticking point. He is owed far too much $$. Remember we just got rid of Jaric, we don't need anymore bloated contracts.

WSU Tony
07-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Age has nothing to do with it--and is McCants gonna put us over the top? I'd take Terry if he made less $$. That'd be the sticking point. He is owed far too much $$. Remember we just got rid of Jaric, we don't need anymore bloated contracts.

With our young team, age has everything to do with it. Why in the world would you want to add someone who has 3 or less productive years left in their career? Are we going to actually need them or do we stick with young tallent who can grow together and actually be used when we need it.

Age has everything to do with it, just as much as money at this point.

R3aZoN
07-05-2008, 02:50 AM
Terry is only 31 going into his 10th season and is still going to be productive for a few more years.

His contract is only about 9 a season until 2012, but I'm sure you guys could find a way to restructure it.

ALL TOGETHER
07-05-2008, 04:08 AM
I dont know Terry is a tweener combo guard who would fit in the point nice and we would be in the playoff hunt with him. McCants is starting to scratch the roof of his potential and could be the next Wade if he can put it all together

C-Love
PF-Jefferson
SF-Brewer
SG-Miller
PG-Terry
6-Foye

I think thats a playoff team

There is no way Foye should come off the bench.

There is no way Love would be our center.

IowaAJ
07-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I think Terry would put us over the edge and make us a viable playoff team because we would have 3 players in our starting lineup that could shoot 3's consistently.
pg Terry
sg Foye
sf Miller
Pf Love
C Jefferson

6th man Gomes, Brewer, Smith

_Sn1P3r_
07-05-2008, 05:48 PM
That trade would help them a lot in a tough Western Conference.

WSU Tony
07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
We have a youth movement going. We need old players with big contracts like we need a hole in our head. Let the rest of the contracts slowly expire as we continue to add new YOUNG tallent to the roster. Come next year we'll have 3 likely first round picks to add even more tallent and we'll have 1 more year away on the rest of our expiring contracts.

boeknows
07-06-2008, 12:32 AM

No McCants wont put us over the top but neither will Terry. So why take the guy that makes over 9 mil a year when u can keep the guy that makes 2.6 for this year. To make the salaries match we would have to give up someone else too. So i would say why not get someone better and younger if we are going to have to give up more than McCants?

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
With our young team, age has everything to do with it. Why in the world would you want to add someone who has 3 or less productive years left in their career?

...Uhhh...Jason Terry is only 30, not 33 or 34. He's only two years older than Mike Miller. So, couldn't you say the same things about Miller?

How many productive years does McCants have left in him? Oh wait, he's never been productive! He avg'd 15 points last season and played no defense. I'd take a guy like Jason Terry over McCants any ol' day of the week! I would because I know Terry can play. I could care less about his age. It'd be different if Terry was 34, but he's not. So, I'll take 3 productive years, a veteran presence (on BOTH ends of the court and in the locker room) and a much-needed PG (and yes, I KNOW he don't play the point in Dallas, but he could for our team) at a time when we only have ONE under contract.

The ONLY sticking point, IMO, would be the cash. Terry makes too much. I GUARANTEE you if McHale could swap the two if they had identical contracts: anyone would. It's no secret that the Wolves have been shopping McCants for a long time. The only problem in trading him is that NO ONE wants him! If you can get a skilled guy like Jason Terry for him, you HAVE to pull the trigger.

Are we going to actually need them or do we stick with young tallent

...Tony, it's spelled: "talent". One L. Just one.

who can grow together and actually be used when we need it.

...No, not really. Why do you think that if we get some veteran guys that we'll be doomed to fail? It's a ridiculous argument. All of a sudden we HAVE to have young players, and if we don't, a bomb will go off and kill the team.
Even when you have a situation where players "grow together" you need veteran players to show the way. Look at the Minnesota Twins in the early 80's: there were several young core players who "grew up together" through the system (Gary Gaeiti, Tom Brunansky, Kirby Puckett, Tim Laudner and Kent Hrbek)--but you still had the veteran players like Ron Washington, Roy Smalley and Don Baylor to even things out. What I'm trying to say is that even with a young team, you need some veterans to even things out. Just because the Wolves are in the middle of a youth movement doesn't mean that ALL of our players HAVE to be 25 and younger.

Besides, if you don't have to give up a major piece to get him, what's the harm? I don't think that McCants would be missed that much. I doubt that he plays for Minny past the 2010 season. That's what I think. So, what's the harm in getting a guy who can actually play in his place in the meantime?

And I suppose you have an alternative? Sign Telfair, maybe? What's the alternative. We need a guy who can play the point. Who are they gonna get? What's your suggestion, Tony? But I suppose you don't have an answer.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 06:25 PM
No McCants wont put us over the top but neither will Terry. So why take the guy that makes over 9 mil a year when u can keep the guy that makes 2.6 for this year. To make the salaries match we would have to give up someone else too. So i would say why not get someone better and younger if we are going to have to give up more than McCants?

You don't. That was my point. You don't make the deal because of the $$. If they had similar salaries, I'd pull the trigger. I'd take a proven veteran over a young player who is often accused of being a "head case".

JBoog35
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Way too much money invested in Jason Terry. They are trying to clear cap when they can. Hence, the Mayo-Love deal. Sure, we got Mike Miller and Kevin Love, but we also bounced a year off Marko's deal. With all the buy-out's, etc... I just don't see it happening. I can see a smaller deal maybe, just not one where we pay a player 12 mil.

WSU Tony
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
With our young team, age has everything to do with it. Why in the world would you want to add someone who has 3 or less productive years left in their career?

...Uhhh...Jason Terry is only 30, not 33 or 34. He's only two years older than Mike Miller. So, couldn't you say the same things about Miller?

I said productive years. Miller has more productive years left than Terry which is what makes all the difference.

How many productive years does McCants have left in him? Oh wait, he's never been productive! He avg'd 15 points last season and played no defense. I'd take a guy like Jason Terry over McCants any ol' day of the week! I would because I know Terry can play. I could care less about his age. It'd be different if Terry was 34, but he's not. So, I'll take 3 productive years, a veteran presence (on BOTH ends of the court and in the locker room) and a much-needed PG (and yes, I KNOW he don't play the point in Dallas, but he could for our team) at a time when we only have ONE under contract.

The ONLY sticking point, IMO, would be the cash. Terry makes too much. I GUARANTEE you if McHale could swap the two if they had identical contracts: anyone would. It's no secret that the Wolves have been shopping McCants for a long time. The only problem in trading him is that NO ONE wants him! McCants has move value than you give him credit for. If you can get a skilled guy like Jason Terry for him, you HAVE to pull the trigger.

Are we going to actually need them or do we stick with young tallent

...Tony, it's spelled: "talent". One L. Just one.

Feel free to fight the argument, if you can. When would we need Terry in the next 2-3 productive years he has left? Are we going to be deep in the playoffs in the next 3 years? The answer is no, so I'd rather keep a guy who has legit potential instead of a guy at the end of his career who won't even help us when we would need him most.

who can grow together and actually be used when we need it.

...No, not really. Yes, Really. The point is to get tallent now and not have veterans who won't help the team when we'll actually need them. Why do you think that if we get some veteran guys that we'll be doomed to fail? Now you sound like an idiot. It's a ridiculous argument. Yes, by having veterans means we'll be doomed to fail is a rediculous arguemnt, which you made. All of a sudden we HAVE to have young players, and if we don't, a bomb will go off and kill the team. Another nice arguement, good one.
Even when you have a situation where players "grow together" you need veteran players to show the way. Look at the Minnesota Twins in the early 80's: there were several young core players who "grew up together" through the system (Gary Gaeiti, Tom Brunansky, Kirby Puckett, Tim Laudner and Kent Hrbek)--but you still had the veteran players like Ron Washington, Roy Smalley and Don Baylor to even things out. Yes, those guys were vets who would actually put up productive numbers WHEN WE NEEDED THEM! What would be the point of having some of them and having their contracts end 1-2 years before the late 80's? That would be the move the wolves would be working. If we could pick up a contributing vet when we feel we are 1-2 years away from a championship then it's a good idea but why get them when they won't help us when we are primed to win? What I'm trying to say is that even with a young team, you need some veterans to even things out. Just because the Wolves are in the middle of a youth movement doesn't mean that ALL of our players HAVE to be 25 and younger. Nope, but trading young guys who have talent and potential to do great things for a vet is not the move we should make. Would you feel bad if McCants turned into a good NBA player which is more than possible at this point? Would you feel even worse if we traded him for Terry and when we're deep in the playoffs and Terry can't help us would we rather have him back? Yes.

Besides, if you don't have to give up a major piece to get him, what's the harm? McCants is a big piece. Why turn long term assets into short term assets if we arn't primed to win? I don't think that McCants would be missed that much. I doubt that he plays for Minny past the 2010 season. That's what I think. It's assumed your typing what you think..... So, what's the harm in getting a guy who can actually play in his place in the meantime?

And I suppose you have an alternative? Sign Telfair, maybe? What's the alternative. We need a guy who can play the point. Who are they gonna get? What's your suggestion, Tony? But I suppose you don't have an answer.

No need to get snippy just because we dissagree on something. PSD is all about having different views and rationally discussing those views.

Bringing in Terry and delaying our PG problem is only a temporary solution. Here is a long term solution which the wolves, I hope, will choose to pursue.
Foye takes PG duties for this year. Next draft our last real need is a good PG. We could have up to 3 first round picks in next years draft which means we have the tools to trade up and get the point guard of our choice. Get a high ceiling guy who can help the team for years, which is what we need. I'm all for long term solutions and actually addressing a problem instead of shoving it on the back burner and letting it come back to get you.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I said productive years. Miller has more productive years left than Terry which is what makes all the difference.

--Yeah. Two years is a big difference.

McCants has move value than you give him credit for.

--That's pure opinion. IMO, yes Tony, in my opinion, he's not worth having. If he's a "basket-case" like has been reported, getting rid of him would be a case of "addition by subtraction". Obviously the Wolves don't share your POV. They've been trying to trade McCants for a while. Yes, by having veterans means we'll be doomed to fail is a rediculous arguemnt, which you made.

--What else am I supposed to think when you're frightened of having talented guys on our team? Terry may 7 years older than McCants, but even you have to admit he's a talented guy.

Another nice arguement, good one.

--It was a joke, not an argument.

Feel free to fight the argument, if you can. When would we need Terry in the next 2-3 productive years he has left? Are we going to be deep in the playoffs in the next 3 years? The answer is no, so I'd rather keep a guy who has legit potential instead of a guy at the end of his career who won't even help us when we would need him most.

--You're totally missing the point. Just because we're not going to make the playoffs doesn't mean we shouldn't have talented guys on the team. I don't understand the "we're not going to be a playoff team, so I'd rather have less talent" argument. It doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO. I really don't think that McCants will be with the Wolves for much longer. Should I think differently when the T'Wolves have been trying to deal him to no avail? So, based on that idea, we could have a very able Jason Terry for a few years to teach our young players how to be successful, or we could keep a "basket-case" who we don't want anyway. I don't expect you to 100% agree with this, but you have to at least see my POV.

Yes, Really. The point is to get tallent now and not have veterans who won't help the team when we'll actually need them.

--OMG. You're missing the point, man. Just because we're not winning now doesn't mean you don't make a trade for Jason Terry. You have to consider what you're giving up. Y'see, IMO, McCants doesn't play defense and is a basket case. The Wolves failed to trade him (due to the fact that there were no suitors) and McHale probably won't re-sign him. So...why not get a player in exchange for something that you want to get rid of? And don't say: "well, he won't be able to help us when we need it"...that's no argument. Who cares? Talent is talent. The Wolves have to start winning! I don't think they have to win big RIGHT NOW, but they have to start turning this thing around! How much losing is AJ going to put up with? Should we just not sign/trade for vets because they won't be around when we're a contender? I can understand the idea that we shouldn't trade YOUNG TALENTED players, but, like I've said, IMO McCants isn't that type of player.

There were times last year when he just didn't play defense--at all. It was shameful. Now, why does a young team want bad influences like that? If the "basket-case" accusations are true, then why let it contaminate a young team? Why not bring in a vet who can mentor a player like Randy Foye?

And I want to be clear about something: I'm not for this trade because of the $$. If their respective contracts were even, I'd be for the trade, and only then. So...considering there isn't such thing as a "Contract Fairy" who can shrivel big contracts, I don't think he should be a Wolf.

Now you sound like an idiot.

--Now, c'mon. NO need for that. I hope Sparky reads this one.

Yes, those guys were vets who would actually put up productive numbers WHEN WE NEEDED THEM! What would be the point of having some of them and having their contracts end 1-2 years before the late 80's? That would be the move the wolves would be working. If we could pick up a contributing vet when we feel we are 1-2 years away from a championship then it's a good idea but why get them when they won't help us when we are primed to win?

--Again, you miss the point. I'd rather have a talented player when we're losing to NEVER have a talented player. IMO, McCants will NEVER be as good as Jason Terry.

And you even botched the "Twins" argument I made. Roy Smalley didn't put up big #'s by 1987. He was 35 years old by that point. The Twins brought him up as a 30 year old (now realize where I was going here) in 1982 to play along with a younger core of players.

Ron Washington wasn't a productive player by 1987, either. Actually, he wasn't even with the team in 1987! But of course, that didn't stop the Twins from bringing him in 1981 at the age of 29. He was Kirby Puckett's roommate/mentor in the early 80's. Think the Twins regretted that one because he wasn't around to play when they were competitive?

And Don Baylor was older than Tom Kelly during the 1987 Championship run. He was brought over in 1987 to provide good hitting off the bench and to provide leadership to an untested club. I used him as an example because the Twins saw the value in an OLD guy playing for their team. Sure, the Twins were winning by 1987, but Jason Terry could be old too (and still have value) when the Twins are a winning team. Actually, if you think that the Wolves will be winners in 3 years, Terry would be only 33. That'd be 4/5 years younger than Baylor.

Nope, but trading young guys who have talent and potential to do great things for a vet is not the move we should make. Would you feel bad if McCants turned into a good NBA player which is more than possible at this point? Would you feel even worse if we traded him for Terry and when we're deep in the playoffs and Terry can't help us would we rather have him back? Yes.

--But I don't think McCants will be around, dude! This is where we differ. You think McCants is gonna be a great player--I don't! I'd rather have a talented guy in the meantime than to maybe (and believe me that McCants becoming as good as Terry is a stretch) have a talented player in the future.

McCants is a big piece. Why turn long term assets into short term assets if we arn't primed to win?

--If McCants is such a big piece, why did he start a whopping 24 games last season? It's not as if there were loads of talent playing before him. The Wolves won only 22 games last year, and Rashad McCants wasn't good enough to be a starter on it...that doesn't sound like a "major piece".
Why have the Wolves been trying to trade this "long-term asset"?

No need to get snippy

--I'm getting snippy? Who was the one who called me an "idiot"? Who was the one who said that my ideas didn't have a "place" because I didn't have enough posts on here?

Bringing in Terry and delaying our PG problem is only a temporary solution.

--Wouldn't McCants be temporary if he wasn't re-signed?

Here is a long term solution which the wolves, I hope, will choose to pursue.
Foye takes PG duties for this year. Next draft our last real need is a good PG. We could have up to 3 first round picks in next years draft which means we

--Could, but would could also have none.

have the tools to trade up and get the point guard of our choice. Get a high ceiling guy who can help the team for years, which is what we need. I'm all for long term solutions and actually addressing a problem instead of shoving it on the back burner and letting it come back to get you.

--Now, couldn't we trade McCants for Terry and STILL go into the draft and get a guy who could be our future PG? Then we could be good in the meantime AND in the future! I really doubt that trading McCants for a star-type player is gonna "come back" at us.

WSU Tony
07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, Timberwolves fan, since you spent the last hour and a half with that last post I'll let this rest. Have your opinion and I'll have mine but one thing is certain, I won't take that long, ever, on a post in this forum. (Not to mention I'll only read Matty's posts which are that long. (1500 words? Cripes!)

Please realize for the future that others might have different opinions than your own, I have.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, Timberwolves fan, since you spent the last hour and a half with that last post I'll let this rest. Have your opinion and I'll have mine but one thing is certain, I won't take that long, ever, on a post in this forum. (Not to mention I'll only read Matty's posts which are that long. (1500 words? Cripes!)

Please realize for the future that others might have different opinions than your own, I have.

Hahaha. Nice try. It took me twenty minutes at the most. Um...aren't you the one with like 4000 posts? I like how you like to point fingers but leave out the facts. Half of that post was yours, too, y'know. LOL. SO, I wasn't the only one workin' on it!

But that's just like you, isn't it. Instead of challenging my argument, you'd rather just slander me by saying: "oh jeez, your posts are long".

Oh, and "please" realize the next time you call me a name I'll report it.

WSU Tony
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Comments like

Why do you think that if we get some veteran guys that we'll be doomed to fail?
And

All of a sudden we HAVE to have young players, and if we don't, a bomb will go off and kill the team.

These do make you sound like an idiot. I'm sure you're a very knowledgeable basketball fan but you don't portrey yourself in that light with strange/weird comments like that. I didn't call you an idiot I just said that comment like those makes you sound like one. I'm not going to retract a comment saying you sound like an idiot when you say things like, "a bomb will go off and kill the team." lol

Bottom line for this thread is I don't like the trade and would rather preserve our young talent. I still wish we would have kept Mayo but I'll have to live with Love and cap room.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Comments like

And

These do make you sound like an idiot. I'm sure you're a very knowledgeable basketball fan but you don't portrey yourself in that light with strange/weird comments like that. I didn't call you an idiot I just said that comment like those makes you sound like one. I'm not going to retract a comment saying you sound like an idiot when you say things like, "a bomb will go off and kill the team." lol

Bottom line for this thread is I don't like the trade and would rather preserve our young talent. I still wish we would have kept Mayo but I'll have to live with Love and cap room.

Whatever, Tony. You're just one of these guys who thinks that becasue he spends umpteen hours a day (amassing almost 5,000 posts) that your opinion is more valid than everyone else's. And when someone puts you in your place, you resort to calling names and trying to riducule others. Why not challenge someone's content?

WSU Tony
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm surprised, actually, that many if not most basketball analysts like the McHale trade. Most of them say that the extra cap room and getting Miller is worth much more than the difference in overall ability between Love and Mayo. I wasn't a big fan of the trade but it's hard to fight it when so many others (especially people on this board) liked the trade. I guess I was too high on Mayo. :) I'm not much of a Terry fan either, especially for a young squad who can't use him to his fullest ability like a playoff hunting squad this upcoming season might.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm surprised, actually, that many if not most basketball analysts like the McHale trade. Most of them say that the extra cap room and getting Miller is worth much more than the difference in overall ability between Love and Mayo. I wasn't a big fan of the trade but it's hard to fight it when so many others (especially people on this board) liked the trade. I guess I was too high on Mayo. :) I'm not much of a Terry fan either, especially for a young squad who can't use him to his fullest ability like a playoff hunting squad this upcoming season might.

What do you mean? Most people DO like the trade. I can't think of one pundit who didn't give the Wolves a "good grade" on their draft--they received a lot of A's and B's.

A lot of FANS didn't like the trade, but fans are NEVER going to like a trade that risks our chances in getting another Garnett-type player. These are the temporary fans. These are the fans who are still upset about us trading KG. They measure a team's worth by how much star power a team has vs. how real talent they have. These are the type of people who want to see spectacle over wins.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I can see making an argument about the Wolve's D. That's a good argument. Mike Miller and Kevin Love aren't defensive-orientated, but it's D that wins titles. With Mayo and Brewer being consecutive picks, it seemed to me that McHale was trying to build a defensive team. I think that would've been particularly smart...but of course he didn't stick to that plan. He seems to be more intent in building an offensive team. But when your team didn't play good offense OR defense last season, at least he has made an improvement in one of the categories.

WSU Tony
07-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Cap room will be nice, if we use it wisely.

We should get back on topic.

Whoever started this post prolly was just making something up and thought they'd ask. This thread is more than likely speculation than anything so I don't see a sense in wasting our time here anymore.

timberwolvesfan
07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Cap room will be nice, if we use it wisely.

We should get back on topic.

Whoever started this post prolly was just making something up and thought they'd ask. This thread is more than likely speculation than anything so I don't see a sense in wasting our time here anymore.

Well go ahead, Tony. Don't waste anymore of your precious time.

boeknows
07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
You don't. That was my point. You don't make the deal because of the $$. If they had similar salaries, I'd pull the trigger. I'd take a proven veteran over a young player who is often accused of being a "head case".

I have no clue which side u are on here. You keep saying stuff about both sides.

ALL TOGETHER
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Hahaha. Nice try. It took me twenty minutes at the most. Um...aren't you the one with like 4000 posts?

If you added all his posts together it wouldn't be as long as yours. lol.

j.k. obviously, but,

A wise person should be able to make a point in less than 1500 words.

ALL TOGETHER
07-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I have no clue which side u are on here. You keep saying stuff about both sides.

You catchin' that drift as well?

WSU Tony
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
If you added all his posts together it wouldn't be as long as yours. lol.

j.k. obviously, but,

A wise person should be able to make a point in less than 1500 words.

I think this is your best post yet, AllTogether. :p

WolvesFan23
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM
And the Hissy Fit begins Wolvesfan vs WSU Tony

WolvesFan23
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree with Tony on almost everything. Wolves fan how is Mayo like KG they play two different positions and KG came into the league at 18 and Mayo 21. Mayo hogs the ball constantly he never passes and he takes ******** shots that miss. Westbrook shut Mayo down in the UCLA USC game. Mayo needed to shine in the biggest game and turned the ball over 10 times. McCants has potential to be way better than Terry. McCants just played one full season for once and got 15 ppg. Some games 25-32 ppg. Give him a chance to shine.

timberwolvesfan
07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I agree with Tony on almost everything. Wolves fan how is Mayo like KG they play two different positions and KG came into the league at 18 and Mayo 21. Mayo hogs the ball constantly he never passes and he takes ******** shots that miss. Westbrook shut Mayo down in the UCLA USC game. Mayo needed to shine in the biggest game and turned the ball over 10 times. McCants has potential to be way better than Terry. McCants just played one full season for once and got 15 ppg. Some games 25-32 ppg. Give him a chance to shine.

I was making a point about star power. Mayo has the big name. He has been a sports star for some time. I think one of the main reasons that people were so upset with this trade was because T'Wolf fans thought they lost their chance at having another big name star on their team.

And as far as you, Boe, my point is crystal clear. I'd make the trade for Jason Terry if he had the same contract as McCants. I wouldn't make the trade the way it stands (Terry is owed too much $$). The dispute I was having with Tony was when he said that it was about age and not $$.

And isn't it funny...Tony can write a huge post and no one says anything. I do (and actually half of that 1500 post was Tony's btw) and everyone throws a hissy fit! LOL. Just block me if you don't want to read my excellent posts.

But go ahead all of you guys and gang up on me. I know I'm smarter than all of you, so it don't bother me. I suppose it does take about 4 of you guys to team up on me seeing how I make 4 times as much sense as all of you.

Debater Mike
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
As a Mavs season ticket holder who happens to be a Minnesota boy and Wolf at heart, there is no way that MN should do this deal. The deal would have to be McCants/Cardinal for Terry, which will work salary wise once Cardinal becomes eligible to be traded. Multiple reasons why this is bad:

1. Jason Terry is not a pg, in fact he is a disaster. He could not beat out Harris who Avery Johnson so distrusted that they ended up making the Kidd trade.
2. He is superflous to what Mike Miller/Rashad McCants/Brian Cardinal give us right now. At best Terry is a 6th man off of the bench who can hit a three and score points, while providing a veteran presence.
3. He is a classic tweener, too little to cover big 2's and too slow to shut down penetration.
4. He has already peaked as a player and took a major step back this season. But the biggest reason to pass is found in
5. His contract effectively takes us out of the free agent market in 2010. While I doubt MN can acquire Lebron there are several sweet players that MN can go after, certainly better players then J. Terry.

Final Analysis: McHale has done an incredible job ridding the Wolves of their horrible contracts and placing this team in a great cap situation. Acquiring Jason Terry reverses that and takes on an additional $12 million in 2010 that could better be used elsewhere. Terry does not provide enough of an upgrade and at best may add 3 wins in 08 to a team who has no chance of winning it all. In 09 he becomes an albratross as McCants expires and Cardinal becomes an expiring. By 10 his skill set projects to the level of being barely rotation worthy if at all. This deal is an easy pass.

WSU Tony
07-07-2008, 03:58 PM
But go ahead all of you guys and gang up on me. I know I'm smarter than all of you, so it don't bother me. I suppose it does take about 4 of you guys to team up on me seeing how I make 4 times as much sense as all of you.

They arn't ganging up on you, they are only expressing their opinions on the subject. Like I said earlier, please realize others have different opinions other than yours and that most of the stuff debated on this forum isn't "right" or "wrong" but just different opinions. On a subject which is all opinion I don't know how you can be "smarter" than everyone. If you vote for a different presidential candidate does that make you "smarter" than me? Nope, it's just that you see things in a different light than I do. This is about opinions and not actually having a correct answer. Please be more understanding for the future and realize others might not see things the same way you do, which is ok.

ALL TOGETHER
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I know I'm smarter than all of you, so it don't bother me.

Seems you are trying to convince yourself.

It's easy to type 1500 words of Rhetoric and make not ONE point in the process. It takes a wise man to make a point in few words.

The smarter of the two doesn't need to say he is, he knows he is.

ALL TOGETHER
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
They aren't ganging up on you, they are only expressing their opinions on the subject. On a subject which is all opinion I don't know how you can be "smarter" than everyone. Please be more understanding for the future and realize others might not see things the same way you do.

Here Here,

Preach it brother! lol.

WSU Tony
07-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Here Here,

Preach it brother! lol.

We have dissagreed on subjects before, AllTogether, but neither of us were right or wrong on a matter of opinion.... Maybe this guy won't check back again to give his opinion again.

WolvesFan23
07-07-2008, 06:02 PM
I was making a point about star power. Mayo has the big name. He has been a sports star for some time. I think one of the main reasons that people were so upset with this trade was because T'Wolf fans thought they lost their chance at having another big name star on their team. Big whoop if he has a big name remember KG and Marbury or Billups how far did we get then? This team did its best in 2004 when they had core players aka team mates not just one palyer. Mayo is NBA ready but he needs an attitude adjustment. He would be demanding a trade in 2 years. Love is a selfless player who makes people around him better. Isn't Kevin Love a big name?

And as far as you, Boe, my point is crystal clear. I'd make the trade for Jason Terry if he had the same contract as McCants. I wouldn't make the trade the way it stands (Terry is owed too much $$). The dispute I was having with Tony was when he said that it was about age and not $$. Why would we get someone who's career is standing pat or maybe going down hill while McCants can still get better we have to commit to these young wolves to grow together not trade them for a vet who might be gone in 3 years

And isn't it funny...Tony can write a huge post and no one says anything. I do (and actually half of that 1500 post was Tony's btw) and everyone throws a hissy fit! LOL. Just block me if you don't want to read my excellent posts.
I will all you do is pick apart everyones opinion if everyone agreed then we would have no debate or discussion allowing us to express both sides giving us a better picture from more viewpoints not wolvesfan is always right and everyone else is stupid

stu·pid (stpd, sty-)
adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

timberwolvesfan
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Big whoop if he has a big name remember KG and Marbury or Billups how far did we get then? This team did its best in 2004 when they had core players aka team mates not just one palyer. Mayo is NBA ready but he needs an attitude adjustment. He would be demanding a trade in 2 years. Love is a selfless player who makes people around him better. Isn't Kevin Love a big name?

--I know, I agree with that. But that's not how a lot of fair-weather fans see it. They want the big names. I don't hate the trade. I just was saying that a lot of people objected to the trade because the Wolves got rid of the guy who had the recognizable name--that's all. Am I too out of line here by making that assumption?

Why would we get someone who's career is standing pat or maybe going down hill while McCants can still get better we have to commit to these young wolves to grow together not trade them for a vet who might be gone in 3 years

--First off, I'm not for Jason Terry coming to the Wolves. I don't know how simpler I can put it. Why you guys seem to read what you want to read is beyond me. The $$'s aren't right. Now, if I had my choice of McCants or Terry for like 3 million per, I'd take Terry. That's my OPINION. And yes, I'm allowed to have that opinion just like you're allowed to have yours.

I will all you do is pick apart everyones opinion if everyone agreed then we would have no debate or discussion allowing us to express both sides giving us a better picture from more viewpoints not wolvesfan is always right and everyone else is stupid

--And my opinion ISN'T picked apart? Why is it when Tony writes a huge post arguing against me it's okay, but when I do it all of a sudden I'm out of line? Even when I agree with you guys, you think I disagree. It doesn't matter what I say, you guys automatically take the position that's opposite of mine.

But whatever. I don't mind it. I find it fun. It's hilarious to watch you guys go around accusing of people of throwing "hissy fits" and then doing the EXACT same thing.

timberwolvesfan
07-07-2008, 10:23 PM
We have dissagreed on subjects before, AllTogether, but neither of us were right or wrong on a matter of opinion.... Maybe this guy won't check back again to give his opinion again.

Haha. I'll just come in here more often. :clap:

timberwolvesfan
07-07-2008, 10:28 PM
They arn't ganging up on you, they are only expressing their opinions on the subject. Like I said earlier, please realize others have different opinions other than yours and that most of the stuff debated on this forum isn't "right" or "wrong" but just different opinions. On a subject which is all opinion I don't know how you can be "smarter" than everyone. If you vote for a different presidential candidate does that make you "smarter" than me? Nope, it's just that you see things in a different light than I do. This is about opinions and not actually having a correct answer. Please be more understanding for the future and realize others might not see things the same way you do, which is ok.

Sure there is. It's like a pack of wolves (no pun intended). When you call people "stupid" and try to ridicule other people over stupid stuff (like posts that are too long), then it's getting out of hand. We're supposed to be talking about basketball, not ripping on one another.

But, I'm done with this argument. If you guys want to talk basketball, that's cool. But if you don't want to, just let me know and I'll block you.

ALL TOGETHER
07-08-2008, 01:34 AM
But, I'm done with this argument. If you guys want to talk basketball, that's cool. But if you don't want to, just let me know and I'll block you.

It's all good man.

Just try and keep the word count down a little.

boeknows
07-08-2008, 01:38 AM
And as far as you, Boe, my point is crystal clear. I'd make the trade for Jason Terry if he had the same contract as McCants. I wouldn't make the trade the way it stands (Terry is owed too much $$). The dispute I was having with Tony was when he said that it was about age and not $$.

Well no **** everyone would do that trade if they had the same contract. You would be stupid not to because right now Terry is the better player. But the money is a major part of the trade so u cant just leave that out. So ur point is crystal clear but ur on both sides of the fence.

Preuss-is-right
07-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Sounds like I couldnt have picked a better time to be busy. ^^^^^^^^^^

Anyways maybe I'd do it if Gerald Green was included.:rolleyes:

Debater Mike
07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
timberwolvesfan writes

It is not that Terry is owed too much money, it is that he has 3 years remaining on his contract that matters. We could certainly trade McCants and Cardinal for him in 48 days but it would still be a bad move. McCants expires this year and Cardinal next, we'd be on the hook for an additional $15 million (subtract McCant's in year two and just add Terry's 2010 salary to year three) and we would be unable to offer a max deal in what is shaping up to be a huge year for quality players being available as free agents.