PDA

View Full Version : 2008-2009 Captian and Alternates

Jpomp7700
07-04-2008, 01:20 PM
With the departure of all 3 lettermen of the 2007-2008 N Y Rangers team, we are left with 3 vacant spots.

I feel that the 2008-2009 lettermen will be as follows :

C - Chris Drury
A - Scott Gomez
A - Markus Nasland

Tell me what you guys think and give your 2008-2009 C and A's

redwhiteandblue
07-04-2008, 01:26 PM
That's precisely how I see it going. Then in two years when Naslund is gone, if he leaves, Staal should be donning that second A. But until then, this is pretty much spot on.

This is the exact reason Drury was brought here. As devestated as I was when the only thing we had done was sign Redden, I'm getting VERY eager for next year for many reasons:
I want to see how Redden does.
I want to keep watching to progression of our best d-man, Marc Staal
Hoping to see a productive line of Naslund-Gomer-Nik Z, or just watch Nik and Gomer together
More Dubinsky, Dawes and Cals, along with a taste of Korpikoski, Parenteau, Sanguinetti, Baranka, Anisimov
Rooting for Henrik to get his 4th 30 win season in a row
And most of all, Chris Drury. I really think him having to shift off his natural second line center role, sitting back seat to Captain Jagr among other things led to an off year. Hopefully this year we give him that C, keep him at his spot and let him sink in comftorably and find his game.
Oh and not to mention PATRICK RISSMILLER! sweeeeet

Jpomp7700
07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Agreed, but your are forgetting to watch Hollweg, Orr, Callahan, and possibly Byers and Gratton lay some people out

redwhiteandblue
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm just hoping Hollweg doesn't take anymore stupid penalties after we tie up a playoff game next year, in so leading to a loss.

He almost ruined a reputation he's been building in New York for the past 3 years in a matter of 15 seconds. Jeez

yanks024
07-04-2008, 02:28 PM
With the departure of all 3 lettermen of the 2007-2008 N Y Rangers team, we are left with 3 vacant spots.

I feel that the 2008-2009 lettermen will be as follows :

C - Chris Drury
A - Scott Gomez
A - Markus Nasland

Tell me what you guys think and give your 2008-2009 C and A's

I think that will happen...sather did mention he had the door open for shanny to return but at a reduced role and he seems he wants to play another year in the nhl and publicly stated he prefered NY so if he does indeed come back i feel he be captain with drury and gomez as alternates...just a thought

letsgorangers27
07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I think that will happen...sather did mention he had the door open for shanny to return but at a reduced role and he seems he wants to play another year in the nhl and publicly stated he prefered NY so if he does indeed come back i feel he be captain with drury and gomez as alternates...just a thought

yea i heard the same. shanny would likely wear the c then. for future captains far down the road look toward dubinsky and staal

Jpomp7700
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM

that would be best case senerio because I love shanny and i think he would be the best captian, plus he basically was the captian for the past few years, who was the one in the middle of it all and talking to the refs, it was shanny.

i think shanny will go to nj, he is not the time of guy to play in a reduced role he is an all or nothing type of guy

t3hg00se
07-04-2008, 02:52 PM
that would be best case senerio because I love shanny and i think he would be the best captian, plus he basically was the captian for the past few years, who was the one in the middle of it all and talking to the refs, it was shanny.

i think shanny will go to nj, he is not the time of guy to play in a reduced role he is an all or nothing type of guy

I don't think Jersey has the cap room to sign anyone else.

And I'd like to see Dubinsky get an A.

Jpomp7700
07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't think Jersey has the cap room to sign anyone else.

And I'd like to see Dubinsky get an A.

duby will get it in a few years but not now he has all of the intangibles, but he is too young, but i believe that callahan and duby are next in line

redwhiteandblue
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Really, I think Staal will get it eventually.,, an A at least

bonafide1091
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
2008: C- drury

A-gomez
A-nanslund

2010- C- dubinsky
A-staal
A-Nik Z

redwhiteandblue
07-05-2008, 12:01 PM
To me that doesn't make sense... why give it to Drury, for the 15th time that's part of the reason or most of it he was brought here, but then why just strip him of it in 2 year? If anything they'll let him run his course, but he'll probably get resigned, unless tehy win 2 Cups. Then it will be a finished project for Drury. But I see Staal getting it before Dubs IMO.

messleetch94
07-05-2008, 01:35 PM
C- Drury
A- Gomez
A- Naslund

If Shanahan is brought back in reduced role....
C-Shanny
A-Drury
A-Naslund

letsgorangers27
07-05-2008, 01:39 PM
eventually it will be dubie"c" staal"a" cally"a"
but why not give dubie the "a" now. philly did it w/ richards

messleetch94
07-05-2008, 02:16 PM
If they bring back Shanny in a reduced role he will get the C.

C-Shanny
A-Drury
A-Naslund.

If shanny doesn't come back...
C-Drury
A-Gomez
A-Naslund
Drury might defer to Naslund who was the captain in Van. the last 8 yrs. Rangers have had a hard time finding a C after Messier. Leetch, Lindros, they never panned out. Eventually Mess came back and took it again. Jagr wasn't a good captain. Did anybody see him lining up to win shoot outs? He always passed the buck.

yanks024
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
eventually it will be dubie"c" staal"a" cally"a"
but why not give dubie the "a" now. philly did it w/ richards

the only reason i wouldnt give it to dubie yet is b/c he had one good season playing with jagr. lets see how he does this year? just my opinion and im not saying he wont deserve it in a few years but now i think he still has things to prove. i like his future along with staal so the rangers have goood yound talent.

messleetch94
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
2008: C- drury

A-gomez
A-nanslund

2010- C- dubinsky
A-staal
A-Nik Z

Drury will have the C, pending return of Shannahan, through 2011-2012 (what he's signed through) Totally disagree with Zherdev and the A. He was a holdout with Columbus in 06 and his motives are questioned in the locker room. Truly a dynamic player, just needs some guidance. Should learn under Drury, Gomer, Naslund, and especially Shanahan if brought back. Zherdev could be a bust, then he wouldnt be resigned

Jpomp7700
07-05-2008, 03:54 PM
the only reason i wouldnt give it to dubie yet is b/c he had one good season playing with jagr. lets see how he does this year? just my opinion and im not saying he wont deserve it in a few years but now i think he still has things to prove. i like his future along with staal so the rangers have goood yound talent.

agreed you need to let the youngsters get more experience. dont get me wrong, i would love to see dubie get it along with callahan, but they need another year to develop

as far as staal i think he will be a star in this league, but as of not he doesn't have the leadership to get one. his personality is too mellow, but mabey he will come out of his shell as he progresses

i'm still sticking to my guns with drury - C and Gomez and Naslund - A's just as long Shanny doesn't come back, in which case it would be Shanny - C and Drury and Gomez - A's

Jpomp7700
07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Drury will have the C, pending return of Shannahan, through 2011-2012 (what he's signed through) Totally disagree with Zherdev and the A. He was a holdout with Columbus in 06 and his motives are questioned in the locker room. Truly a dynamic player, just needs some guidance. Should learn under Drury, Gomer, Naslund, and especially Shanahan if brought back. Zherdev could be a bust, then he wouldnt be resigned

I think nik Z will be a dynamic player, but will never be a C or and A he's not gritty enough and personally i dont mind his motives just as long as he helps us win, but it will prevent him from getting a C or A.

You need to be skilled on the ice but i feel that the intangible leadership abilities C's and A's possess or more important

yanks024
07-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I think nik Z will be a dynamic player, but will never be a C or and A he's not gritty enough and personally i dont mind his motives just as long as he helps us win, but it will prevent him from getting a C or A.

You need to be skilled on the ice but i feel that the intangible leadership abilities C's and A's possess or more important

agreed...an example if the best player was to be captain why wouldnt ovechkin be a C rather than an A?...but yea i hope shanny comes back for one more year works on 3rd line with dubie as i feel drury will be bumped up to 2nd line with dawes and callahan...but we will see who knows but it would be nice if shanny came back and went out with a cup (maybe for the 1st time as a Captain as he was an A with the Wings)...but yea i agree leadership is the key the player who can motivate in the locker room and keep the team chemsitry and morale up...thats the person who should get the Csuch as if shanny returns he deserves it if not drury does...naslund yes he has the leadership but shouldnt get the C b/c others have been here longer....

NY_RedLine
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
when i think of a captain i think of guys like Yzerman and Messier.

Drury and Gomez are captain material. They proved it prior years. Naslund is def a captain he held that crap canucks locker room together the last 3 years.

so for the forseeable future.

C-Drury or Gomez
A-Gomez or Drury
A-Naslund if he isnt made a C.

If shanny comes back bet your bottom dollar he is the C.

Also who is to say no one changes in the next 2-3 years. Who is to say a nother coming of the messiah will come and take over for the next 9 years.

I cant see any of the young players Captaining this team. They are too raw. Staal needs to pick up his game and conquer his position before he becomes a Locker room leader. Every Captain in the league is a master of his position. A people person and a lean on my guy.

in Nik Z's case he needs to get to brighton beach. Do a russian radio show or a Tv show or something. He gets that fan base on his side man he will be big and the rangers could use their support...He will finally feel comfortable. How many russians live in columbus? That was one of his problems and now he doesnt have to worry about it in NYC.

redwhiteandblue
07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
when i think of a captain i think of guys like Yzerman and Messier.

Drury and Gomez are captain material. They proved it prior years. Naslund is def a captain he held that crap canucks locker room together the last 3 years.

so for the forseeable future.

C-Drury or Gomez
A-Gomez or Drury
A-Naslund if he isnt made a C.

If shanny comes back bet your bottom dollar he is the C.

Also who is to say no one changes in the next 2-3 years. Who is to say a nother coming of the messiah will come and take over for the next 9 years.

I cant see any of the young players Captaining this team. They are too raw. Staal needs to pick up his game and conquer his position before he becomes a Locker room leader. Every Captain in the league is a master of his position. A people person and a lean on my guy.

in Nik Z's case he needs to get to brighton beach. Do a russian radio show or a Tv show or something. He gets that fan base on his side man he will be big and the rangers could use their support...He will finally feel comfortable. How many russians live in columbus? That was one of his problems and now he doesnt have to worry about it in NYC.

I agree with you here. Alot of these guys being mentioned don't strike me as Captain material. Still, out of everyone I think Dubinsky and Staal will be wearing a letter at some point. Dubinsky spent his rookie season playing right next to the captain. Not that Jagr was a great captain, but he musta definetly picked up some do's and don't's so to speak. As for Staal, he's going to easily be our best player 4-5 years from now after he's seasoned, and you don't always need to be a pilar of verbal support in the lockerrroom. Some guys lead by example, which hell let's be honest, he was doing in his first year already. He's a Staal, they're hardworking kids with a great passion for the game. He seemed a little shy at first take, but he'll ease in to comfortness and perhaps develop more of a pure leader personality. The tools are all there, but these two imparticular I feel will definetly be the C/A in the future.

nrmax88
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
To me that doesn't make sense... why give it to Drury, for the 15th time that's part of the reason or most of it he was brought here, but then why just strip him of it in 2 year? If anything they'll let him run his course, but he'll probably get resigned, unless tehy win 2 Cups. Then it will be a finished project for Drury. But I see Staal getting it before Dubs IMO.

Druryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sucksssssssssssss. Stupidest signing ever.

nrmax88
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
If they bring back Shanny in a reduced role he will get the C.

C-Shanny
A-Drury
A-Naslund.

If shanny doesn't come back...
C-Drury
A-Gomez
A-Naslund
Drury might defer to Naslund who was the captain in Van. the last 8 yrs. Rangers have had a hard time finding a C after Messier. Leetch, Lindros, they never panned out. Eventually Mess came back and took it again. Jagr wasn't a good captain. Did anybody see him lining up to win shoot outs? He always passed the buck.

So what? He isn't comfortable taking the puck in a shootout. Are you telling me to be a good captain you have to be good in a shootout and always take your turn in a shootout? Drury is as horrible a breakaway guy as I have ever seen. He has no hands, a decent shot, but he cannot snipe like Shanny. I have seen him on more then 1 occasion take a slap shot on a breakaway, and he cant score one on one with a goalie to save his life. Get outa here with that nonsense.

redwhiteandblue
07-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Druryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sucksssssssssssss. Stupidest signing ever.

Thank you for providing a valid and intellectual argument to refute my point. You obviously don't know anything about Drury or his track record, but I'm not going to try and explain it, again. I've never seen so many Drury haters, it's quite odd.

letsgorangers27
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
yeah i usually never see anybody hate on drury. and going back to what i stated earlier. i meant far down the road about dubie and staal not now. duh. drurys the leader. what do you have against the guy. he plays a good game and does not cause problems. he also shows alot of heart for a little guy battling in front of the net with some big bruisers.

messleetch94
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=nrmax88;5793000]So what? He isn't comfortable taking the puck in a shootout. Are you telling me to be a good captain you have to be good in a shootout and always take your turn in a shootout? Drury is as horrible a breakaway guy as I have ever seen. He has no hands, a decent shot, but he cannot snipe like Shanny. I have seen him on more then 1 occasion take a slap shot on a breakaway, and he cant score one on one with a goalie to save his life. Get outa here with that nonsense.[/QUOTE

When you are the captain of the team and the game is on the line in a shootout, its your job to try to win the game. How many games were there where Jagr was no where to be found? Go through everygame for every team that was a shootout and I bet at least 90% of the time, the captain of that team was one of the first three in the shootout.

messleetch94
07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
So what? He isn't comfortable taking the puck in a shootout. Are you telling me to be a good captain you have to be good in a shootout and always take your turn in a shootout? Drury is as horrible a breakaway guy as I have ever seen. He has no hands, a decent shot, but he cannot snipe like Shanny. I have seen him on more then 1 occasion take a slap shot on a breakaway, and he cant score one on one with a goalie to save his life. Get outa here with that nonsense.

At least Drury was thre for a shootout. It's wwhat captains do, try to win games. Your really probably a Buffalo fan upset about Briere and Drury leaving.

yanks024
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
At least Drury was thre for a shootout. It's wwhat captains do, try to win games. Your really probably a Buffalo fan upset about Briere and Drury leaving.

agreed...i dont know how anyone especially a Rangers fan could say that Drury sucks...He always comes up in the clutch and i feel the main reason drury was signed was for his leadership his ability to keep his team in it down the stretch...Drury knows what it takes to win a cup and has been there...Its all bullS*** if u say he sucks...he had 37 goals two years ago and 25 this season only b/c he was on 3rd line...give him a chance on 1st or 2nd line which is what we r paying him 4 and i see that making stat making a increase...this team will be able to play as one intead of for one person (jagr)...

letsgorangers27
07-10-2008, 04:12 PM
here since everyone has been discussing this and NHL.com put up a poll figure i'd post it here.

letsgorangers27
07-10-2008, 04:14 PM
i found girardi to be a interesting choice in the poll

letsgorangers27
07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
i put drury only because it doesnt look like shannys coming back.

Sbank
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I go with Drury since he one of the only Rangers that there from last year that has leadership quality.

messleetch94
07-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Just remember that Drury was the co-leader in goals with Jagr. (23) It took him a little time to find his game. By the end of the year, he led the team in pp goals (12) and more importantly gw goals (7). Keep in mind that he was the [Bthird line center.[/B]

Desert Plains
07-11-2008, 12:26 AM
If Shanny is back, he'd have to be considered. But, I voted for Drury (with or without Shanny). Even if Shanny is back, I'd imagine it would be his last year, and I don't think giving him the C for one year makes a lot of sense, to then have to give the C to someone else after one year. If Drury is in line to eventually be the Captain, there's no point in waiting a year - give it to him now.

nascar10294
07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I hope its Drury no matter what. He is the best leader on the team.

nrmax88
07-12-2008, 09:00 AM

Yup, lol you caught me. Nope, I am a Ranger fan that is upset that the Rangers were Drury's favorite team. Guy is over paid and overated. You want a leader? Get Jed Ortmeyer for pennies. I would rather them spend their money on guys who actually have some skill. Drury has no shot, no hands, no speed, all he has is "grit and determination" and rings from playing with good teams. Overated. Speaking of Brierre, they should have paid him, not his gritty counterpartt. Brierre actually has some skill to speak of.

Rangers in 7
07-12-2008, 10:01 PM
its def going to be drury but in a couple of years im goin wit marc staal