PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Camby "more valuable" if traded

DenButsu
07-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks, Camby, but it's time to go
By Mark Kiszla

Marcus Camby has what NBA teams want, which makes him the most marketable player on a Nuggets team itching to pull the trigger on a trade.

If Denver wants to make a big deal to inspire local basketball fans to renew their faith (and their season tickets), then the Nuggets might have to say goodbye to Camby.

From his 6-foot-11 frame to his defensive mind-set and his reasonable salary by NBA standards, the very attributes that make Camby valuable to the Nuggets will also tempt teams to overpay for the 34-year-old center in trade.

While we go gaga over Kobe, LeBron and the point guards of generation next, what sells best in this league is size, because big is always in short supply.

This simple law of supply and demand is something every smart businessman, Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke included, knows how to leverage to his advantage.

If Miami could trade Shaquille O'Neal when his basketball skills were even worse than his ability to rap and Toronto was eager to land Jermaine O'Neal despite recent injury woes, then the $10 million salary of Camby makes him an extremely liquid asset on the Denver roster.

It would be a mistake to believe just because the Nuggets traded away their first-round choice in the NBA draft that the executive offices were closed for business until training camp began.

While Denver rebuffed trade offers for forward Carmelo Anthony, it's no secret among league general managers that the Nuggets are all ears for any proposal involving Camby or guard Allen Iverson. denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9781830)

MELO 15
07-04-2008, 01:43 PM
denverpost (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9781830)

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING ON THIS COLUMN

Nugget Tony
07-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I 2nd that.......

denversgm
07-04-2008, 03:03 PM
u guys see that the nuggets are willing to listen for trades about camby and iverson . Who were those couple of people that said nuggets wouldn't trade camby or AI?

IversonIsKrazy
07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
wuuttt???? were going 2 trade ai. AI is the best player we got, we need a post. Let's trade off Najera & Kleiza 4 Artest. Then trade off Camby, AC/Atkins & Hunter 4 Okafor. Then sign Kurt Thomas & Brent Barry. Our 2008-09 NEW roster;

PG: AI/Atkins
SG: Artest/JR
SF: Melo/Barry/Diawarra
PF: K-Mart/Nene
C: Okafor/Thomas

What do u guys think??

ivyleague1
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
u guys see that the nuggets are willing to listen for trades about camby and iverson . Who were those couple of people that said nuggets wouldn't trade camby or AI?

Iam one of them, and I stand firmly on that !!!! Kisla is not a smart source, he is simply sounding his opinion. His analysis is also highly flawed. Nuggets core will remain intact, Kisla also wanted Melo traded !!! Iverson is the Nuggets best and most consistent player, Camby is the league's best shot blocker, and top 2 rebounder at 13+. He is a workhorse and performed his role in the team very effectively. Jealousy or envy will not stop him from being a Nugget next season. The only way he will be traded is if the offer is much better than keeping Camby (Emphasis). Nuggets are also listening to trades about Melo, but, they are not shopping him.

Crunchy12489
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I stand firmly on that too.

Watch. ALLEN IVERSON WILL NOT BE TRADED.

It's possible for him to be traded, but get real. They aren't trading him.

That's just word of mouth and you know how that is... Well, obviously you don't...

Rumors are RUMORS... Nothing more... They aren't even predictions... They are just ideas... See this is what they want you to do... Talk about it... They love causing drama... Screw the media and people like you for buying into that crap...

Camby might be traded... They was getting on Camby's case.. Hard.. Harsh descriptions of his offensive game but that's real... Right now we don't want to hear things to make us happy... We want to hear things that are TRUE...

You believe EVERY trade rumor there is about Denver...

I wish I knew you so I could bet that Allen Iverson will not be traded... I would put $200 on it.

Kings Faithful
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Najera and Kleiza for Artest would have been horrible for us, im so glad we didn't do that last year....

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-04-2008, 07:11 PM

I'm one of them as well... and i GUARENTEE AI will be a nuggets next season, Camby on tha other hand, i dont kno if he will be.

DenButsu
07-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Kisla is not a smart source, he is simply sounding his opinion. His analysis is also highly flawed. Nuggets core will remain intact, Kisla also wanted Melo traded !!!

I check both the Post and the News multiple times daily for Nuggets updates, and I am about 99.9% sure that Kiszla never called for Melo to be traded. Woody Paige did, but not Kiszla. Since Marc Spears left Denver, Kiz is probably the only remaining sports columnist worth a damn in Denver when it comes to the Nuggets. And yes, he does have better access to inside angles than all of us do. He can hang in the Pepsi Center, in the locker room, chat with the players and coaching staff before and after games. The overall quality of the coverage of the Nuggets in Denver is pretty bad right now, but Kiszla is the best we got. I love Paige for his whole career covering the Broncos, but I've disagreed with just about every one of his columns on the Nugs over the past season. Lincicome is pretty much crap. But Kiszla is usually more or less on about things.

Not only did he never call for Melo to be traded, but he never called for AI to be traded, so what are you AI loyalists getting all in such a tizzy for? The opinion aspect of this column is that CAMBY SHOULD BE TRADED. But read this statement again: "While Denver rebuffed trade offers for forward Carmelo Anthony, it's no secret among league general managers that the Nuggets are all ears for any proposal involving Camby or guard Allen Iverson." That's not a statement of opinion or analysis. That's reporting, and it's a description of reality: Melo won't be traded, but AI OR CAMBY COULD BE TRADED. He's not advocating that anybody get traded in this statement. He's reporting what is basically common knowledge in NBA insider circles, and for that matter publicly as well: Rex Chapman gave Carmelo Anthony verbal reassurance that he would not be traded this summer, and the Nuggets have refused all trade offers for Melo. But neither Camby nor AI have gotten such assurances, and in fact when Detroit made their pitch for Melo, Denver countered by offering AI instead.

That is just a fact.

Let me repeat it in terms that are as clear as possible:

THE DENVER NUGGETS HAVE ALREADY OFFERED IVERSON FOR A TRADE THIS OFFSEASON.

And they probably will again.

AI is on the block - for the right price. Whether or not he remains a Nugget will all come down to whether some other team is going to offer a package that the FO deems good enough. I happen to believe that won't happen. But it very possibly could. So brace yourselves.

Jealousy or envy will not stop him from being a Nugget next season.

:confused:
What does jealousy or envy have to do with anything???

ivyleague1
07-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I check both the Post and the News multiple times daily for Nuggets updates, and I am about 99.9% sure that Kiszla never called for Melo to be traded. Woody Paige did, but not Kiszla. Since Marc Spears left Denver, Kiz is probably the only remaining sports columnist worth a damn in Denver when it comes to the Nuggets. And yes, he does have better access to inside angles than all of us do. He can hang in the Pepsi Center, in the locker room, chat with the players and coaching staff before and after games. The overall quality of the coverage of the Nuggets in Denver is pretty bad right now, but Kiszla is the best we got. I love Paige for his whole career covering the Broncos, but I've disagreed with just about every one of his columns on the Nugs over the past season. Lincicome is pretty much crap. But Kiszla is usually more or less on about things.

Not only did he never call for Melo to be traded, but he never called for AI to be traded, so what are you AI loyalists getting all in such a tizzy for? The opinion aspect of this column is that CAMBY SHOULD BE TRADED. But read this statement again: "While Denver rebuffed trade offers for forward Carmelo Anthony, it's no secret among league general managers that the Nuggets are all ears for any proposal involving Camby or guard Allen Iverson." That's not a statement of opinion or analysis. That's reporting, and it's a description of reality: Melo won't be traded, but AI OR CAMBY COULD BE TRADED. He's not advocating that anybody get traded in this statement. He's reporting what is basically common knowledge in NBA insider circles, and for that matter publicly as well: Rex Chapman gave Carmelo Anthony verbal reassurance that he would not be traded this summer, and the Nuggets have refused all trade offers for Melo. But neither Camby nor AI have gotten such assurances, and in fact when Detroit made their pitch for Melo, Denver countered by offering AI instead.

That is just a fact.

Let me repeat it in terms that are as clear as possible:

THE DENVER NUGGETS HAVE ALREADY OFFERED IVERSON FOR A TRADE THIS OFFSEASON.

And they probably will again.

AI is on the block - for the right price. Whether or not he remains a Nugget will all come down to whether some other team is going to offer a package that the FO deems good enough. I happen to believe that won't happen. But it very possibly could. So brace yourselves.

:confused:
What does jealousy or envy have to do with anything???

Yes!! Iverson's agent received such guarantee, only in amore respectful atmosphere. They informed him that, they will extend Iverson's contract !!! That is to say they intend to keep him. Iverson is not and was never on the block, and will not be traded and you should get that off your head.
You seem obsessed about trading Iverson and Camby. Nuggets never made an offer of Iverson to Detroit, that report was a mere speculation. Detroit however enquired about Melo's availability and made little or no offer for him (It was just an initial discussion).
Denver has far more problem to deal with than looking for who to trade or not. Look at this:

The five certain Nuggets players are:

Iverson, Melo, K-Mart, Camby, Kleiza.

The Unsigned as of now are:

J.R., Nagera, A. Carter, Diawara.

The Uncertainty group are: (Maybe on contract but, contributed little or close to nothing last season):

Hunter, Nene, Atkins, Jones, Green.

DenButsu
07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes!! Iverson's agent received such guarantee, only in amore respectful atmosphere. They informed him that, they will extend Iverson's contract !!! That is to say they intend to keep him. Iverson is not and was never on the block

I'm sorry, ivyleague, but not one word of what I quoted there is true.

But don't take my word for it:

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3454739):

Allen Iverson won't opt out of his contract with the Denver Nuggets, his agent told The Rocky Mountain News. Iverson had a contract that would have left him the option of opting out of his deal after the season and becoming a free agent.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3455530):

Detroit recently offered Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince for Anthony, but the Nuggets weren't interested. Denver countered with an offer of Allen Iverson or a package built around Marcus Camby, but the Pistons are only interested in Anthony.

So, I know your AI love is strong, but these are just two indisputable facts:

1) The Nuggets didn't extend AI's contract. Iverson extended his own contract by not opting out.

2) The Nuggets did in fact already pitch Iverson in a trade proposal with Detroit. They also pitched Camby. Both of them are on the block.

You can accept the truth, or you can turn a blind eye to it and pretend that ESPN, the Rocky Mountain News, the Denver Post, the Detroit Free Press, and all the other legitimate media outlets that has consistently reported all of this same information are lying to you because they're "jealous and envioius" of AI.

Your call.

ivyleague1
07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm sorry, ivyleague, but not one word of what I quoted there is true.

But don't take my word for it:

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3454739):

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3455530):

So, I know your AI love is strong, but these are just two indisputable facts:

1) The Nuggets didn't extend AI's contract. Iverson extended his own contract by not opting out.

2) The Nuggets did in fact already pitch Iverson in a trade proposal with Detroit. They also pitched Camby. Both of them are on the block.

You can accept the truth, or you can turn a blind eye to it and pretend that ESPN, the Rocky Mountain News, the Denver Post, the Detroit Free Press, and all the other legitimate media outlets that has consistently reported all of this same information are lying to you because they're "jealous and envioius" of AI.

Your call.

Iverson does not need to opt out in order to get an extension therefore, go back to the quotation I cited and stop being selective as to which one to quote.
As for whether the Nuggets offered Iverson to Detroit, I stand by what I said. "There was no on-going negotiation between Nuggets and Detroit, it was only an enquiry for Melo. " Get this your desire for Iverson trade off your cranium !!!!!!

denversgm
07-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Iverson does not need to opt out in order to get an extension therefore, go back to the quotation I cited and stop being selective as to which one to quote.
As for whether the Nuggets offered Iverson to Detroit, I stand by what I said. "There was no on-going negotiation between Nuggets and Detroit, it was only an enquiry for Melo. " Get this your desire for Iverson trade off your cranium !!!!!!

man relax den is only reporting facts, u however r reporting out of some sick man crush u have for AI.

Listen up AI was going to opt out to get an extension however denver was not interested in giving it to him, so that is why he decided not to. ESPN, DENVER POST, & ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS all qouted AI's agent saying that he was hoping to opt out and get an extension like Vince Carter.

Game_Over
07-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah I agree, I understand you maybe bummed, I was pissed when I kept hearing Melo's name in trade offers but sometimes its a fact.. It's not Den's fault, he posts quotes here all the time about whatever he see's in the news.. I also don't think AI will be a Nugget next year or they would have offered him an extension to save money this year and they didn't.. His agent said they wanted to and still no offer, so that tells me he isn't in the plans for next year.. Right or wrong that is just what I see from this.. Hey maybe we might win it all and they re-sign him but I don't see that happening lol.. I would love to see many players go before AI but unfortinatly we can't move them!!

ivyleague1
07-05-2008, 03:01 AM
man relax den is only reporting facts, u however r reporting out of some sick man crush u have for AI.

Listen up AI was going to opt out to get an extension however denver was not interested in giving it to him, so that is why he decided not to. ESPN, DENVER POST, & ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS all qouted AI's agent saying that he was hoping to opt out and get an extension like Vince Carter.

Please cite the specific article and the actual quotation by Iverson"s agent. I know you and Den are Melophyles. You want Iverson out of the way so that you may surround Melo with some dumb young mediocre players.
For your education what you read in the papers are not necessarily facts. That is the first thing you learn in professional schools. Present the facts as they are. Did you ever hear Iverson's agent making the statement you quoted above ? Did the Newspapers and ESPN you cited above attribute the statement to Iverson's agent, or are you in one of those your psychotic modes ? Good Night !!!!!!

Crunchy12489
07-05-2008, 03:12 AM
See denversgm you are on some other bull ****.

All I'm saying is, from a mature and respective view on Allen Iverson, the guy brings it every night, hes the 2nd highest playoff scorer in the GAME, he's 3rd behind Wilt and Mike in highest PPG, he's been holding this title for a minute, and here you are wanting to kick out a person with the heart of a bull and can score in crazy amounts.

Go back to Sac-town

DenButsu
07-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Please cite the specific article and the actual quotation by Iverson"s agent.

Allow me:

Rocky Mountain News, December 11th, 2007 (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/11/iverson-wants-opt-out-and-re-sign-nuggets/):

Iverson wants to opt out . . . and re-sign with Nuggets
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 04:18 p.m., December 11, 2007
Updated 04:18 p.m., December 11, 2007

Nuggets guard Allen Iverson’s preference is to opt out of his contract next summer and sign a six-year deal with Denver...

Iverson’s personal manager Gary Moore, said Tuesday the hope is for Iverson to opt out of his contract next summer and sign a six-year deal. That was rubberstamped by Iverson.

“Hell, yeah,’’ said Iverson, who turns 33 next June. “I want to play until I’m 39. I don’t want to play over 40.’’

Iverson, making $19 million this season, can opt out next summer of a deal paying $20.8 million in its final season of 2008-09. He then could negotiate a longer deal.

But would Iverson take less money for next season?

“We ain’t getting into all that,’’ said Iverson, who said the topic would be broached next summer.

While he is not Iverson’s agent, Moore said he plans to handle much of the work on a possible new deal.

“We want to end our career here,’’ Moore said. “He wants to stay here.’’

Rocky Mountain News, May 30, 2008 (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/30/answer-wont-be-question-for-long/):

'Answer' won't be Nuggets question for long
Team to address Iverson's future soon
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, May 30, 2008

Nuggets guard Allen Iverson might opt out of a $20.84 million deal to sign a multiyear contract.

How long might "The Answer" stick around Denver?

The answer could be coming soon.

Gary Moore, personal manager for guard Allen Iverson, said Friday the Nuggets "seem to be very willing" to offer Iverson a multiyear contract if he were to opt out of the final year of his current deal by the June 20 deadline.

But Moore, who said he recently began talks with Denver brass about Iverson's future, declined to discuss how many years the Nuggets might be willing to give Iverson or offer monetary figures.

Iverson can opt out of a deal paying him $20.84 million next season and become an unrestricted free agent July 1. Most observers don't believe Iverson would opt out unless it was to sign a new contract with the Nuggets.

It also is not believed the Nuggets would sign Iverson to a multiyear deal unless he agreed to take less money next season.

Shortly after Denver's season ended April 28, Moore said he would have discussions with the Nuggets about Iverson, who turns 33 on June 7, possibly opting out and signing a three-year deal. But a source at the time described the Nuggets, deep into the luxury tax, as wary of committing extra dollars to Iverson.

Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien confirmed having discussions with Iverson's camp but declined further comment.

"We want to finish our career in Denver, but we have no decision on (whether Iverson will opt out)," said Moore, who added that a decision by Iverson won't be made until close to the June 20 deadline in his contract for opting out.

Moore said discussions with Nuggets officials about Iverson's future are in their early stages.

"They have gone quite well," said Moore, declining to offer specifics, other than saying the Nuggets are open to getting Iverson under contract beyond next season.

You say:

For your education what you read in the papers are not necessarily facts. That is the first thing you learn in professional schools. Present the facts as they are. Did you ever hear Iverson's agent making the statement you quoted above ? Did the Newspapers and ESPN you cited above attribute the statement to Iverson's agent

My education is just fine, thank you. And since you feel yours is likewise up to snuff, I imagine that you are also aware of the other side of the coin of your little cliché truism that not everything you read in the papers is necessarily true: Not everything you read in the papers is a lie, either.

You choose to blatantly disregard reality. So there's no point in me continuing this discussion, I'm sorry. Until you can gain a little peerspective and have an adult conversation without being so emotionally invested in your AI-promotion agenda, I'm done discussing him with you.

I know you and Den are Melophyles. You want Iverson out of the way so that you may surround Melo with some dumb young mediocre players.

You know a lot less than you think, then. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you're going to call me out like that, I have to respond. All I'll say is that if you actually read what I write here with any objectivity whatsoever, you'd know that you're way off base. But your devotion to AI blinds you.

As for me, I'm a Nuggets fan.

MELO 15
07-05-2008, 01:31 PM
. I know you and Den are Melophyles.
For your education what you read in the papers are not necessarily facts. Present the facts as they are. Did the Newspapers and ESPN you cited above attribute the statement to Iverson's agent,

Since u love ai so much, tell me, what did u think when u heard iverson was on his way out, and sources had him going to the nuggets, was your attitude the same way it is now about the sources. There has to be some truth to what is being reported. I remember telling my cousin who is a big time iverson fan that he was going to be a nugget, and he sounded just like you. O, no he's not,no iverson is the best, don't believe everything u hear. Well guess what my cousin is no longer a philly fan he's a nuggets fan now, he also keeps up with the sources as well

MELO 15
07-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I know you and Den are Melophyles. I can say without a doubt that DEN lets those on the nuggets who deserve it, have it. Melo is no exception. look back on the past forums and you could see for yourself. I on the other hand love the nuggets but am a, what did u call that? A MELOPHYLES. If there's anyone who deserve that title it would be me,and definantly not DEN.

ivyleague1
07-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Allow me:

Rocky Mountain News, December 11th, 2007 (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/11/iverson-wants-opt-out-and-re-sign-nuggets/):

Rocky Mountain News, May 30, 2008 (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/30/answer-wont-be-question-for-long/):

You say:

My education is just fine, thank you. And since you feel yours is likewise up to snuff, I imagine that you are also aware of the other side of the coin of your little cliché truism that not everything you read in the papers is necessarily true: Not everything you read in the papers is a lie, either.

You choose to blatantly disregard reality. So there's no point in me continuing this discussion, I'm sorry. Until you can gain a little peerspective and have an adult conversation without being so emotionally invested in your AI-promotion agenda, I'm done discussing him with you.

You know a lot less than you think, then. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but if you're going to call me out like that, I have to respond. All I'll say is that if you actually read what I write here with any objectivity whatsoever, you'd know that you're way off base. But your devotion to AI blinds you.

As for me, I'm a Nuggets fan.

Very Good Job !!! You put it together very well. Nuggets are open to enter into contract beyond this coming season with Iverson ? Iam not devoted to any specific player, I like all equally. I want AI - Melo combo to succeed in Denver and it will.

jeff86
07-05-2008, 02:55 PM
its getting vicious all i have to say is the team we have right now is not gonna get us past the first round period.

We have seen that for all these years.

ivyleague1
07-05-2008, 03:33 PM
its getting vicious all i have to say is the team we have right now is not gonna get us past the first round period.

We have seen that for all these years.

It will. AI and Melo have had only one training camp together. K-Mart was recovering from injury and Nene (the Beast) barely played last season. The plan was for Nene to handle big centers, while Camby was to take care of shot blocking and rebounding. Thus, Centers like Bogut, Chandler, Duncan, Gasol, Howard, Garnett etc were to see Nene. Good strategy !!!! It did not work out as expected because Nene was injured and sick, leaving Camby and the recovering K-Mart filling in.
Expect Iverson to play harder and better this coming season especially with a cool $21.94M in his pocket. Melo should play better, but, will have to stop drinking. Alcohol is energy killer, makes someone tired. K-Mart should be healthier than previous year. Nuggets definitely needs bench help and the acquisition of some defense minded players like Posey, Artest, Bruce Bowen etc. Go Nuggets !!!!!

avsman05
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
If there is two players that i hope are on the Nuggets for the 08-09 season its ai and melo. with a true PG these two will succeed. Right now they just dont have the right team around them. honestly the FO will do whats best to try to make the team better. They definately dont want to go back to what they were before Melo. No one does. If its trading ai for chauncey and sheed or prince then so be it. Melo is just not tradable at this point. AI and Camby are thats just how things are. It does not look like their are many takers as of yet or teams want to much or we are being stingy.

Crunchy12489
07-06-2008, 01:14 AM
If the Nuggets front office lets go of Allen Iverson that would be a DUMB *** move.

We can bring in Nazr Mohammed and Raymond Felton for Camby's value.

I love Camby, but damn 2 for 1? Sounds like a discount to me.

Nazr can play defense... He doesn't get near as much blocks as Camby but he can play great man-to-man defense.

Raymond Felton is a G. I would love for him to come to the Nuggets.