PDA

View Full Version : Beasley fractures sternum

fins08
07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Miami Heat rookie forward Michael Beasley said on his blog that the elbow he took to the chest at the start of summer camp resulted in "a very, very slight fracture of the sternum."

The No. 2 overall selection in last week's NBA Draft said in the post at ESPN.com that he could miss the balance of the camp at AmericanAirlines Arena, which concludes Sunday.

"They're going to keep me out of contact for 3-5 days just to be safe. By that time the very slight fracture will have healed," he blog read.

Of the incident, the forward out of Kansas State posted, "I don't know who's elbow got me and I really didn't feel like I got drilled or anything, it just happened to hit me in a weird spot on my chest and kind of stunned me."

Beasley claimed said he initially had "some shortness of breath" and Wednesday spent two hours undergoing exams and x-rays.

Beasley said the hope is the fracture will heal in time for Monday's start of summer league in Orlando, when the Heat opens against a similar roster of rookies, free agents and young players from the Chicago Bulls, a roster featuring No. 1 overall selection Derrick Rose, the guard out of the University of Memphis.

Beasley said his Thursday return to camp included non-contact work and shooting drills, claiming to again feel 100 percent.

He anticipates wearing a protective wrap during summer league.

Of the players in the Heat's summer camp, he noted St. Joseph's guard Pat Calathes "can flat out shoot," Xavier forward Josh Duncan "does all the little things," and Indiana center Marco Killingsworth "is a beast inside."

-Sun-Sentinel

Well this isn't good but shouldn't be to bad. Thoughts?

daleja424
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
good find... he better be back by monday or we will never hear the end of it from bulls fans...

fins08
07-04-2008, 11:59 AM
So by now you've probably read somewhere on the internet that my first official practice with the Heat got KO'd when I caught an elbow in the chest. I don't know who's elbow got me and I really didn't feel like I got drilled or anything, it just happened to hit me in a weird spot on my chest and kind of stunned me.

I had some shortness of breath and the trainer came out and checked me. Once he determined there was no immediate threat, they sat me down courtside for further inspection. I had a really sore spot in my chest, so just as a precaution I went to a local hospital to get examined. I was there for about 2 hours for exams and x-rays, and they found a very, very slight fracture of the sternum. I couldn't believe it. What are the odds of getting banged up on the first day of practice?

I wanted to play in the evening practice, but of course the Heat would not let me. In fact, they're going to keep me out of contact for 3-5 days just to be safe. By that time the very slight fracture will have healed.

Freak thing. But no worries Heat fans, it's no big deal.

I went to the evening practice and did non-contact stuff, like shooting drills, and I feel 100% but again the Heat want to be on the cautious side so no contact.

I'll probably wear a slim protective wrap of some sort for Summer League games, which hopefully the Heat will let me play in next week.

I definitely want to play in The Orlando Summer League next week. I haven't played live 5 on 5 in a while I am dying to get back in the flow. Plus our first game is against D-Rose and Chicago so I don't want to miss that one.

Also I know it's only the first practice, but I think our squad could be nice. The roster is stacked. Me, Chalmers and Daequan Cook, plus Pat Calathes who can flat out shoot, Josh Duncan who does all the little things, Marco Killingsworth who is a beast inside. The list goes on and on.

-Beasley's blog

He said it should be fine.

BALLER71
07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I fractured my sternum once.
It hurts.

Chi-Town Finest
07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
good find... he better be back by monday or we will never hear the end of it from bulls fans...
Nah we aint like that, we think he'll be a stud and injuries happen in the nba. There are some idiots that like to talk smack though so just ignore em. This is no big deal, he'll still have a monster rookie season.

daleja424
07-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Nah we aint like that, we think he'll be a stud and injuries happen in the nba. There are some idiots that like to talk smack though so just ignore em. This is no big deal, he'll still have a monster rookie season.

...good to hear a nice mature bulls fan!!!

fins08
07-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah. He says no contact just to be safe, but fracturing a sternum sounds painful. If that means no playing in Summer League, I am all for it.

daleja424
07-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah. He says no contact just to be safe, but fracturing a sternum sounds painful. If that means no playing in Summer League, I am all for it.

NOOOOOOOO!!!! I want to see him play!!!

kozelkid
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
damn, I was looking forward to that game :(

king j.a.l.
07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
hey does anyone know what time the summer league game starts? bcuz since I stay in orlando I would like to check there game out.

fins08
07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
He said he will probably play. Would your rather see him get hurt and miss a signifigant amount of time in playing in a meaningless and yet entertaining S-League game or just don't take the rest and wait. And to those who made the sig bet- Does the Heat vs. Bulls Summer League game count towards when you get to take off the Rose sig. It is their first game of the year.

daleja424
07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
the games are closed to the public... but you can watch online at orlandomagic.com

the first game starts at 3...and the heat game comes on right after that one ends...

maxima2k53
07-04-2008, 01:24 PM
yeah man let him heal we need him...y do we have to show him off during a game that doesnt count...???

Rolla
07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
hey guys, ive broken my sternum and its a nagging injury but heals in time. beasley is well conditioned. so he'll be fine. so we could watch the game at the magic website?

Master Mind
07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Im starting to believe there's an injury bug in Miami...

BALLER71
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Im starting to believe there's an injury bug in Miami...

I'd say there's an injury bug in Miami.
The Dolphins- alot of injuries
Heat- Do I have to explain?
Marlins- all their pitchers are injured.

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I'd say there's an injury bug in Miami.
The Dolphins- alot of injuries
Heat- Do I have to explain?
Marlins- all their pitchers are injured.

All of Marlins pitchers are injured? Wow, so a random guy just pitches or something?

And as for the Beasley situation, I think if it's bothering him too much by the first game in summer league, he should sit out. I know you guys wanna see him play but wouldn't you rather not risk it and let him heal 'til the regular season starts?