PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Comin' To Cleveland?

Cavs_Fan24
07-04-2008, 11:22 AM
What are your opinions about Monta Ellis possibly being a Cavalier next season if the Cavs work out a sign-and-trade with GSW?

enabring
07-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll be honest, I don't know this guy at all. Obviously the points per game for a rookie are quite impressive. I can't help but look at his size as well as his apparent lack of an outside shot (23%/3pt) and think, "Doesn't this guy sortof remind you of a young Larry Hughes?" Do we really want a player like this. He may be talented but there is really only one slasher on the Cavs and anyone else in the back court should have at least an average 3 point shot.

29$JerZ
07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Cavs need Barbosa.

IndiansFan337
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't think we have the assets to acquire him in a S&T. Also, you have to question if he is just a product of GS's run & gun offense, as someone said similar to Hughes?

NickChrisless
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Monte Ellis is the future ... I'm all about it. Now that I've said that, it won't happen.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know this guy at all. Obviously the points per game for a rookie are quite impressive. I can't help but look at his size as well as his apparent lack of an outside shot (23%/3pt) and think, "Doesn't this guy sortof remind you of a young Larry Hughes?" Do we really want a player like this. He may be talented but there is really only one slasher on the Cavs and anyone else in the back court should have at least an average 3 point shot.

You obviously haven't seen Monta play.

One of the most electrifying and exciting players in the NBA.

Monta Ellis is like Allen Iverson. Howevere, unlike Iverson, he doesn't jack up threes. Instead Ellis prefers to shoot his $$$ 15-18' jumper when he doesn't drive to the hole. He shot 53% from the field. Who does that playing guard???

Monta will be playing in Golden State next year. If he isn't, Chris Mullin will lose his job. Period.

enabring
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I said I hadn't seen him play. If the Cavs sign him and his is what you say he is, fantastic! Sounds great.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I am simply going to say I would love to have him.

IndiansFan337
07-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Monta will be playing in Golden State next year. If he isn't, Chris Mullin will lose his job. Period.

I think you may be right about that.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I think you may be right about that.

It would be very strange if Cavaliers did get him. Especially considering Baron Davis is no longer a Warrior. Ellis would be a tremendous addition but its just unrealistic.

Talm
07-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Just out of curiousity, is this a legit rumor or a "what if?" I didn't see a link, but if Ferry really is trying to get this deal done, it'd be great.

Cavs_Fan24
07-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Just out of curiousity, is this a legit rumor or a "what if?" I didn't see a link, but if Ferry really is trying to get this deal done, it'd be great.

what i heard was that the Knicks were trying to get a scoring/slashing guard, then the conversation of the possibility of Ellis possibly going to NY came up, but New York had no interest in getting him, but i heard that the Cavs, Heat, and Warriors are the "front-runners" in obtaining him either by offering him a contract (which wont work because GSW will match ANY offer because they lost Baron), or a S&T which GS may not agree to unless they get some good players, not just role players, so the odds of us getting him are slim, but it's still a possibilty because GS might pull it off if the Cavs include Delonte West and maybe Andy and/or Sasha?

*When i find the site i seen this "rumor", i will post it*

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 08:24 AM

There have been a few thing on Real GM about the Cavs being interested in him.

But I don't see how the Warriors would let this kid get away, especially after Baron Davis bolted GS & left them with plenty of cap space for re signing Ellis & Biedrins.

And I don't think we have the pieces needed to acquire him via S&T.

Cavs_Fan24
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
There have been a few thing on Real GM about the Cavs being interested in him.

But I don't see how the Warriors would let this kid get away, especially after Baron Davis bolted GS & left them with plenty of cap space for re signing Ellis & Biedrins.

And I don't think we have the pieces needed to acquire him via S&T.

i agree, odds are, expect him back in Golden State next year, unless Golden State gets some "rising stars" so to speak, or else they dont have the pieces to be a legit playoff contender, and Cleveland doesnt have what they want/need, but who knows?...

Cavs_Fan24
07-07-2008, 08:36 AM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56350

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/56350

I still don't see what we could realistically offer to them that would entice them to give up on this kid. He's only 22 years old.

Talm
07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
The advantage we have here is that GS is a mess. After loosing Davis due to their inability to get him resigned before free-agency, it's safe to assume their priorities have shifted, and just resigning the rest of their free agents won't be enough to keep the fans happy. I don't know if Cleveland can get a deal done here, but I don't think Davis leaving made a deal less probable, it probably made it more plausible. I love Ellis, I think with LeBron he really could be Pippen-esque. And since GSW have essentially found themselves in an improptu rebuilding phase (unless they pull off a contract with Elton Brand) you have to admit Varejao, Gibson and a draft pick would be three great pieces to work towards rebuilding a roster from scratch. It'd be a lot to give up, but I think Ellis' potential would warrant our best trade pieces. And no doubt Varajeo's agent would love to see Andy in a GSW uniform next season.

dbroncs-abraves
07-07-2008, 12:33 PM
what i would do is give them varejao along with gibson and maybe one of our expirings i think we have a couple that should do the trick hopefully

IndiansFan337
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
what i would do is give them varejao along with gibson and maybe one of our expirings i think we have a couple that should do the trick hopefully

That would be our best offer + 1st round pick + expiring contract to even out the salary difference.

Gibson would not be able to play alongside Ellis anyway, because of their size, so moving him in the trade would be easier to swallow for that very reason.

I don't think GS will accept this, but that would be our best offer that we could/would make.

Does anyone know if Ellis is a decent defender? I know that he is quick, but is he a liability on D or is he a decent defender, even though he is small in stature?

Cavs_Fan24
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
if we were to get Ellis, we'd have to trade either Wally Szczerbiak, or Sasha Pavlovic or else we'd have too many guards, unless Sasha or wally moved to the 3, which isnt a bad idea, but it's not their natural position, and they could struggle.
a trade that i think is fair is:
-D. Gibson
-A. Varejao
-Wally Szczerbiak (just cuz the only way we would be able to get Ellis is in a S&T, and he'll want BIG money and Wally has a big contract)
-Cash to even the salaries if needed and a future draft pick

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Ferry would look very good if he could get some luck here. Ellis is a very athletic 22 year old who could play with LeBron his whole career.

infamous
07-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Ellis is the future. Play and mold him alongside LBJ and they will be a deadly duo. I hope ferry will go after him. I love to have him as a cav

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Ellis is the future. Play and mold him alongside LBJ and they will be a deadly duo. I hope ferry will go after him. I love to have him as a cav

The rumor said Ferry is "very interested" but unfortunately I don't think we have the value to give Golden State.:pity::pity::sad2::pity:

:offtopic:Rumor has it that Ferry did offer Maggette the MLE so lets hope Maggette accepts then we can all take a deep breath for the rest of the Off-season..

infamous
07-08-2008, 12:37 AM
The rumor said Ferry is "very interested" but unfortunately I don't think we have the value to give Golden State.:pity::pity::sad2::pity:
That's for sure, we only have expiring contracts for next season. If the warriors will decide to rebuild then the cavs are on luck. :D

TheLogical
07-08-2008, 01:32 PM
That's for sure, we only have expiring contracts for next season. If the warriors will decide to rebuild then the cavs are on luck. :D

The Warriors are rebuilding thats why they didn't resign Baron Davis.

IndiansFan337
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
If they are going to rebuild, they would want to rebuild around Ellis.

Also, why would they want Wally's expiring contract unless we took a worse long term contract in exchange? If they don't want to add salary, then they could just let Ellis walk. S&T a player for an expiring contract doesn't make sense....Unless others are the centerpiece of the trade.

The Warriors are rebuilding thats why they didn't resign Baron Davis.
Actually they didn't re sign Baron Davis because they didn't want to give him a big extension that he sought, and he didn't want to play for Don Nelson any longer. Also, he has a film making business in LA that I think he wanted to be closer to.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
If they are going to rebuild, they would want to rebuild around Ellis.

Also, why would they want Wally's expiring contract unless we took a worse long term contract in exchange? If they don't want to add salary, then they could just let Ellis walk. S&T a player for an expiring contract doesn't make sense....Unless others are the centerpiece of the trade.

Actually they didn't re sign Baron Davis because they didn't want to give him a big extension that he sought, and he didn't want to play for Don Nelson any longer. Also, he has a film making business in LA that I think he wanted to be closer to.

I think we can take Ellis off the list its just that unlikely.