PDA

View Full Version : Old Petitte meet New Petitte

moneyball
07-04-2008, 06:32 AM
It is amazing to see Jon Lester become the new Andy Petitte. His stuff is very similiar to Petitte in his prime. The torch was passed last night. Given some questionable first inning umpiring Lester's first inning was the stuff of a solid veteran starter. He is knocking on the door of the number 2 spot come playoffs...........he also solved the bullpen problems.

sboyajian
07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
It is amazing to see Jon Lester become the new Andy Petitte. His stuff is very similiar to Petitte in his prime. The torch was passed last night. Given some questionable first inning umpiring Lester's first inning was the stuff of a solid veteran starter. He is knocking on the door of the number 2 spot come playoffs...........he also solved the bullpen problems.
Quite true..

He's quickly following Wakefield and Beckett's lead by being able to continue through 7+ frames.. it's great to see such a young pitcher making such great strides.

lil'papi
07-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Amen.........

Tragedy
07-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I couldn't agree with this any more.

I think many of us all agreed if Lester could have a career like Pettitte, we'd all be very, very pleased. He's putting up some great numbers right now, and he may be a bit better than a #3 (Which is what I and many other expected out of him) for his entire career.

Props to Lester. He's really getting the job done.

RedSoxtober
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
What I'm impressed with the most is the way he's attacking the zone. It's hard to believe he had more walks than strikeouts at the end of April and is now throwing 70% of his pitches for strikes.

Man, the Sox made the right move with Farrell.

GrkGawdofWalkz
07-06-2008, 06:52 PM
What I'm impressed with the most is the way he's attacking the zone. It's hard to believe he had more walks than strikeouts at the end of April and is now throwing 70% of his pitches for strikes.

Man, the Sox made the right move with Farrell.

Absolutely, he's definitely living up to his minor league numbers. He's moved ahead of Dicek for me at the current moment. He's gaining poise and his understanding on working a hitter is increasing every start.