PDA

View Full Version : Look how far the NBA has come

Apophis
07-04-2008, 05:29 AM
I was playing a trivia game with my co-worker and it is amazing how far the NBA gone.. From the original 11 teams to the 30 that we have now.. So many teams becoming defunct, so many of them moving from their original homes.. Its crazy...

First 11 Teams

- Toronto Huskies
- Pittsburgh Ironmen
- Detroit Falcons
- Cleveland Rebels
- Providence Steamrollers
- St. Louis Bombers
- Chicago Stags both
- Washington Capitols
- Philadelphia Warriors
- Boston Celtics
- New York Knickerbockers

The Knicks and the Celtics are the only ones left of the orginal charter members who are still in their home city..

Defunct NBA Teams

- Anderson Packers
- Baltimore Bullets
- Chicago Stags
- Cleveland Rebels
- Denver Nuggets
- Detroit Falcons
- Indianapolis Jets
- Indianapolis Olympians
- Pittsburgh Ironmen
- Sheboygan Redskins
- St. Louis Bombers
- Toronto Huskies
- Washington Capitols
- Waterloo Hawks

I never knew NY used to have so many Basketball teams.. NY Knicks, Rochester Royals (Kings), Syracuse Nationals (Sixers), Buffalo Braves (Clippers), NY Nets ...

I like to learn trivia like this.. I am wondering if you knew what the original name of your Franchise was and what city they started?

I never new Toronto was an original NBA City.. Rhode Island? Who would ever thought..

I know the Sonics fans are down right now.. But keep yal head up.. Your beloved SuperSonics will return... I can't see Seattle being without a team for too long... They Will Be Bok!

khoolit_jom#8
07-04-2008, 05:46 AM
MPLS LAKERS now LA LAKERS...

abe_froman
07-04-2008, 06:00 AM
the stags folded,so i guess the one it is now

TheFuture6
07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Defunct NBA Teams

- Anderson Packers
- Baltimore Bullets
- Chicago Stags
- Cleveland Rebels
- Denver Nuggets
- Detroit Falcons
- Indianapolis Jets
- Indianapolis Olympians
- Pittsburgh Ironmen
- Sheboygan Redskins
- St. Louis Bombers
- Toronto Huskies
- Washington Capitols
- Waterloo Hawks

Sucks that we are not around anymore. :(

Apophis
07-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Sucks that we are not around anymore. :(

LOL

That is the original Denver Nuggets.. They were created in 1948 and disbanded in 1950.. Denver had a 2nd Major Basketball team called the Denver Rockets and when they went to join the NBA there was a contest held, being that Houston already had a team with that name.. The original Franchise name won.. but they are not the same team... The Nuggets now were actually called the Rockets...

marvILLous
07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I was playing a trivia game with my co-worker and it is amazing how far the NBA gone.. From the original 11 teams to the 30 that we have now.. So many teams becoming defunct, so many of them moving from their original homes.. Its crazy...

First 11 Teams

- Toronto Huskies
- Pittsburgh Ironmen
- Detroit Falcons
- Cleveland Rebels
- St. Louis Bombers
- Chicago Stags both
- Washington Capitols
- Philadelphia Warriors
- Boston Celtics
- New York Knickerbockers

The Knicks and the Celtics are the only ones left of the orginal charter members who are still in their home city..

Defunct NBA Teams

- Anderson Packers
- Baltimore Bullets
- Chicago Stags
- Cleveland Rebels
- Denver Nuggets
- Detroit Falcons
- Indianapolis Jets
- Indianapolis Olympians
- Pittsburgh Ironmen
- Sheboygan Redskins
- St. Louis Bombers
- Toronto Huskies
- Washington Capitols
- Waterloo Hawks

I never knew NY used to have so many Basketball teams.. NY Knicks, Rochester Royals (Kings), Syracuse Nationals (Sixers), Buffalo Braves (Clippers), NY Nets ...

I like to learn trivia like this.. I am wondering if you knew what the original name of your Franchise was and what city they started?

I never new Toronto was an original NBA City.. Rhode Island? Who would ever thought..

I know the Sonics fans are down right now.. But keep yal head up.. Your beloved SuperSonics will return... I can't see Seattle being without a team for too long... They Will Be Bok!

Toronto actually played the first game ever vs new york

TheFuture6
07-04-2008, 10:19 AM
LOL

That is the original Denver Nuggets.. They were created in 1948 and disbanded in 1950.. Denver had a 2nd Major Basketball team called the Denver Rockets and when they went to join the NBA there was a contest held, being that Houston already had a team with that name.. The original Franchise name won.. but they are not the same team... The Nuggets now were actually called the Rockets...

Hmm, I actually didn't know there was a pro team in Denver before the Rockets. My bad. :o

Gilbert>TheRest
07-04-2008, 10:19 AM
i miss being called the washington bullets

theimortalone
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Phoenix Suns have always been the Phoenix Suns.

KNICKSFAN
07-04-2008, 11:08 AM

and lost xd

w00t for the knicks nvr leaving Xd

superkegger
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
i miss being called the washington bullets

yeah, they should have kept that name...though I understand the reason for the name change, but the wizards, is that really the best they could come up with.

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 06:58 PM

Hah wow.. I never knew that..