PDA

View Full Version : T-Mac for Billups and Prince?

nyyfan4life
07-04-2008, 05:21 AM
SCENARIO TWO: T-Mac

The Rockets have never made it out of the first round of the playoffs with Tracy McGrady. They have tried a disciplined coach (Jeff Van Gundy) and a loose coach (Rick Adelman). They had Yao Ming complement McGrady and had McGrady complement Yao. This year, they even tried winning without Yao, who was hurt. And for a while, that looked like it would work. But it didn't.

Right now, McGrady is a better player than Anthony. But he also is five years older and not quite as durable. Plus, the Rockets have another star -- Yao -- so they can trade McGrady and still plausibly contend for a title.

How about McGrady straight up for Billups and Prince? It works under the salary cap. And if Houston is willing to part with McGrady, the deal makes some sense for both teams.

Billups and Prince could elevate Houston in the West next year. And the Pistons would start Stuckey, Hamilton, McGrady, Wallace and McDyess. That lineup could contend for a title.

McGrady has pouted on occasion and coasted at other times. But he has two years left on his contract. The Pistons could figure that McGrady would play hard in year one because he is on a new team, and then play hard in year two because he would be playing for a new contract.

And speaking of new contracts, this brings us to ...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/SPORTS03/306180022/1051

Go down and you will see this.

So...thoughts? Its kinda old so I am sorry if this has been posted before.

TMAC94
07-04-2008, 06:05 AM
i wouldnt do it, yao ming hasnt been out of the first round either, its not tmacs fault, he plays better in the playoffs its the players around him.

mightybosstone
07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
This scenario has already been discussed and i'm absolutely willing to say that there's a 100% chance T-Mac doesn't get moved this offseason. If Detroit really wanted him they'd have pushed harder for it and I don't see why the Rockets make that trade, because it cripples us at the 2 guard. The only way I see them making ANY trade with T-Mac is if they got a decent SG in return or had when lined up who could take his place and was starter caliber.

Also, why is everyone so desperately wanting Tayshaun Prince on this team? He's just a slightly more offensively minded Battier...

TMAC94
07-04-2008, 07:40 AM
This scenario has already been discussed and i'm absolutely willing to say that there's a 100% chance T-Mac doesn't get moved this offseason. If Detroit really wanted him they'd have pushed harder for it and I don't see why the Rockets make that trade, because it cripples us at the 2 guard. The only way I see them making ANY trade with T-Mac is if they got a decent SG in return or had when lined up who could take his place and was starter caliber.

Also, why is everyone so desperately wanting Tayshaun Prince on this team? He's just a slightly more offensively minded Battier...

the only person i think he should trade battier for is artest or a sign and trade with maggette.

mightybosstone
07-04-2008, 10:56 AM
the only person i think he should trade battier for is artest or a sign and trade with maggette.

Huh? I didn't say anything about trading Battier.

{}
07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
...still a terrible deal. Billups is OVER THE HILL. Add his albatross contract and the Rockets would suffer and regret the decison for the next 5 years. It'd virtually be the nail in the coffin to Yao and Tmac's career pursuit of a ring, IMO. I guarantee Billups will be a Piston next season because no GM in their right mind would do the Pistons the favor of trading for him.

As for Prince, he's a good MLE caliber player making 10m per season for the next 3 years. It'd be a great deal Pistons if they can swing a trade involving those two. They'd keep their best player in RIP and get rid of two guys with bad contracts who could be easily replaced in the lineup with the cheap rookies currently on their bench.

astrosmaniac
07-04-2008, 02:41 PM
no i wouldnt do this trade

Jpripper88
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
The only way I would add Billups is if T-Mac is still on the team and we make a push for a championship. However, I think that would have been best possible with a Ron Artest MLE signing and that is possible anymore. I think the Pistons might have done a deal with Battier and B-Jax contract going there for Billups. If that were possible and the Rockets could have signed Artest (or maybe Maggette now) then I would do that deal, but if you give up McGrady you really don't solve anything.

Personally I don't see this team winning a championship with Yao and Tmac unless a star is added, but at least adding two very good players in Billups and Artest would make it a lot closer. Also, if that trade worked, perhaps the Rockets could then try and deal Alston for another backup SF or a PF to replace Landry if the Rockets then couldn't match an offer sheet for him. Perhaps it is still even plausible if Artest really wants out of Sactown and they would take Alston and a future 1st for Artest. Then trade Battier and BJax for Billups and you could still use part of the MLE to keep Landry. (But would the Rox add that kind of longterm salary?)

You would have:
PG: Billups (Brooks)
SG: McGrady (Head)
SF: Artest (Greene, Novak)
PF: Scola (Landry, Hayes)
C: Yao (Dorsey, Mutombo)

The starting unit would rival any in the league, but there wouldn't be much behind it.

Driven
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't mind Billups, but I don't think he's a huge upgrade from Rafer.

I like the idea of getting Prince, and then trading Battier and Brooks for Artest though.

Rhyming Rebel
07-05-2008, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind Billups, but I don't think he's a huge upgrade from Rafer.

I like the idea of getting Prince, and then trading Battier and Brooks for Artest though.

Billups not a huge upgrade? Are u kidding me? I wouldnt wanna trade him for T-Mac,but that would be a major upgrade over Rafer. I just Believe in Steve Francis.

TMAC94
07-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Huh? I didn't say anything about trading Battier.
im saying, these guys are the guys we'd trade battier for, not prince

JOSETHEALLSTAR
07-06-2008, 02:45 AM
ok

yaowowrocket11
07-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I like the idea, but I am not so sure about Billups. I would definitely do Rip Hamilton and Prince for T-Mac. 2 of my favorite players in the league. That would absolutely help the team.