PDA

View Full Version : Darius Miles possible return, to suns..and already suspended??

khoolit_jom#8
07-04-2008, 05:19 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/07/darius_miles_faces_10game_susp.html

Darius Miles Suspended 10 Games

Darius Miles, the former Trail Blazers forward who is looking for employment within the NBA, will be a little less attractive to teams today after it was learned that Miles is subject to a 10-game suspension for violating the league's Anti-Drug program.

It is not known for what substance Miles tested positive, but in the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement, it states a player can receive a 10-game suspension for testing positive once for performance-enhancing drugs or for his fourth positive test of marijuana.

Players are randomly tested four times a year, from Oct. 1 through June 30. After the first positive test for marijuana a player is entered into the league's substance abuse program. The second positive test carries a $25,000 fine. The third a five-game suspension and the fourth a 10-game suspension, with each subsequent positive test carrying a five-game incremental suspension.

Miles has not played in an NBA game in two years, so it is not known when, or if, he was suspended five games during that time.

Although the Blazers waived Miles in April after an independent doctor ruled Miles' injuries to his right knee were career ending, the 10-game suspension is still relevant to the team. The Blazers will pay Miles the remaining $27.25 million of his contract, but his salary does not count against the Blazers' salary cap. However, if Miles returns to the NBA and plays in 10 games in one season in either of the next two seasons, his salary goes back onto the Blazers' books.

The suspension figures to make Miles even more damaged goods for a team interested in signing him. It is unclear whether Miles is trying to make a comeback, although it was rumored that he has been working out in Phoenix.

what do you guys think about this one?...
is he worth a try??

theimortalone
07-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Nah, this is coming from a Phx Suns fan. I dont want a druggie on our team. I mean hell the guy is gonna be suspended for 10 games. **** that ****! We dont need him. His injuries sound too risky!

Mile High Champ
07-04-2008, 08:38 AM
miles was the man in Valn Wilder... Get this guy back in the league.

njnets
07-04-2008, 12:52 PM
hes a attitude problem but he fits the suns system. hes about 6'9'' and can run (or used to lol). he fits the system though.

SwaggaIke
07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
If he is healthy he's worth a shot.

Joshtd1
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I read something that since he was medically forced to retire his salary doesn't count against the Blazers...but if he were to come back and play atleast 10 games, Portland would have to pay his salary afterall?

superkegger
07-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I read something that since he was medically forced to retire his salary doesn't count against the Blazers...but if he were to come back and play atleast 10 games, Portland would have to pay his salary afterall?

There is one exception whereby a player can continue to receive his salary, but the salary is not included in the team's team salary. This is when a player is forced to retire for medical reasons and a league-appointed physician confirms that he is medically unfit to continue playing. There is a waiting period of one year following the injury or illness before a team can apply for this salary cap relief. If the waiting period expires mid-season (on any date prior to the last day of the regular season), then the player's entire salary for that season is removed from the team's team salary. For example, in March 2003 the Knicks were allowed to remove Luc Longley's entire 2002-03 salary from their books (and since the luxury tax is based on the team salary as of the last day of the regular season, the Knicks avoided paying any tax on Longley's salary). This provision can also be used when a player dies while under contract.

Teams are not allowed to trade for disabled players and then apply for this salary cap relief. Only the team for which the player was playing when he was disabled may request this relief.

If a player retires, even for medical reasons, his team does not receive a salary cap exception to acquire a replacement player.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#53

I'm not sure about the 10 games thing, but I think I remember reading somewhere that what you said is right.

blackjack_119
07-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Miles career is over. Not only is his knee in terrible shape, but since he has been off of the court so long he is out of shape. If I were a team, however, I would sign him just so that his contract would go back on Portland's salary cap.

STAT1
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
hes a attitude problem but he fits the suns system. hes about 6'9'' and can run (or used to lol). he fits the system though.

were u referring to new yorks system?

obrpunk
07-04-2008, 04:23 PM
miles is the definition of team cancer...portland couln't wait to get him out of there, even when he injured he'd go on the road trips, taking the young players out to strip clubs, getting wasted with them the night before a game...such a bad influence on all the young guys. and has he ever shown up to camp in shape with no drugs in his system? i hope he breaks both of his legs so he can never have a shot at the league again...you might as well pull shawn kemp out of retirement while you at it...

#1Mavericksfan
07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I heard he was working out for the Celtics also

Pran Raznor
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
If I was a GM, I would stay Miles away from him

BADizzleBoY
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
/\ Thats funny.

BlondeBomber41
07-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, if I was another WC team, or another team in general, I would sign him and let him play a bit role for the season and cut him later so the Blazers would have all that money on their books.

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Man what happened to this guy. He was a high-school phenom. If he's healthy, and quits doing drugs, i think he should have a chance to prove himself.

khoolit_jom#8
07-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Man what happened to this guy. He was a high-school phenom. If he's healthy, and quits doing drugs, i think he should have a chance to prove himself.

Yeah!!! his a promising player, together with odom..back when they're young on their clipper days..

CHC/LAL Fan
07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I was wondering what happened to that guy lol.

King Koopa
07-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Reminds me of Mark Blount the crack head.

francoeur4mvp
07-04-2008, 09:05 PM
i like miles, that would be sweet if he made a comeback.

njnets
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
were u referring to new yorks system?

no, but i was assuming that the suns were going to keep the same system they had because they have the same personnel. am i right or are they changing things up because i was assuming.

KmB728
07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Wasnt he suppose to be the next big thing???

id bring him in for a tryout and see wat he could do

DreamShaker
07-05-2008, 12:25 AM
He's worth a look at....but at the first sign of anything shady...send him packing....

obrpunk
07-05-2008, 12:56 AM
this guy has never proven himself...sure he had the chance to be a special player, but how many second chances should one person get? when its proven that your don't care about a)winning b)being in shape c)passing a drug test d)your teammates, and e)the great game of basketball why should this washed-up has-been get another shot? he wants to come back for only one thing, to live the life of an nba player. he has enough money, it's not about that...and he had enough chances when he was young and in shape to prove it was about the game. its about getting laid and being a "big-shot" for this guy...he wants to walk into a club and say "i play for an nba team" not "i could've played for an nba team, but i'm a lazy piece of ****". plus, he never proved anything in the couple of years he did apply himself. ooh, he ran the floor and could dunk...i mean, jesus, eric montross had "potential", lol....

clipsedya
07-05-2008, 01:08 AM
^Montross, AWESOME!!! I haven't heard his name since like 96! What I wouldn't give to go back in time. I'm drunk (Elton Brand has me stressin'), but that seriously struck a chord in me.

clipsedya
07-05-2008, 01:12 AM
If D Miles actually shows up to workout for a team and is fit, I'd be surprised!! The biggest surprise would be if he actually shows up! I think he is a bum, but if he gets a contract he may surprise people. He has to know that he has been a joke for a long time, so maybe he will be out to show people what he can really do.

I would love to see him put something together and get back into the league!

krazyclipperfan
07-05-2008, 01:19 AM
When he came in the league he was one of my favorite Clipper since he got traded his career seem to decline. He deserves another shot to make something of his career if he blows it, it all on him.

khoolit_jom#8
07-05-2008, 01:20 AM
this guy has never proven himself...sure he had the chance to be a special player, but how many second chances should one person get? when its proven that your don't care about a)winning b)being in shape c)passing a drug test d)your teammates, and e)the great game of basketball why should this washed-up has-been get another shot? he wants to come back for only one thing, to live the life of an nba player. he has enough money, it's not about that...and he had enough chances when he was young and in shape to prove it was about the game. its about getting laid and being a "big-shot" for this guy...he wants to walk into a club and say "i play for an nba team" not "i could've played for an nba team, but i'm a lazy piece of ****". plus, he never proved anything in the couple of years he did apply himself. ooh, he ran the floor and could dunk...i mean, jesus, eric montross had "potential", lol....

I like him but yah! you're right, his attitude and work ethics suck..
I remember back in his blazers and clippers days that there was a time that his the highest seller for his jersey.. It means many fans liked him before, I don't know if they still like him now..

obrpunk
07-06-2008, 01:48 PM
you know, i really don't hate him as much as it sounds, it's just that i can't stand these guys who have such a bad work ethic...i liked him when he came into the league and thought he would be someone who could grow into a good player. He could've been a j-rich type, but he never worked on his shot. He could've been a gerald wallace type, but he never worked on his D. Those are pretty good players in my opinion, so mabye i'm setting the "coulda been" bar too high, but i think the expectations were even higher at the time he came in...it all makes me think back to my favorite player growing up, big shawn kemp. kemp did a little more with his career than miles(nba finals, all-nba 2nd team, etc), but threw it away WAY too soon because he got lazy and more concerned about a party than a game. its a sick burn to the teams and fans when players give up on the game. and yes, i know miles bummed his knee, but i don't think he cared too much before that anyway...

superkegger
07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah, if I was another WC team, or another team in general, I would sign him and let him play a bit role for the season and cut him later so the Blazers would have all that money on their books.

Yeah, that would be a real shrewd thing to do. Like josh said earlier, if he plays 10 games elsewhere, his salary stays onthe books for the blazers. He gets paid no matter what, but right now its off the blazers books.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/07/darius_did_what.html

This has well-chronicled implications on the Blazers: if Miles returns to the NBA and plays in 10 games in a season, during either of the next two seasons, his salary will count against the Blazers' salary cap. The team is responsible for paying the remaining $27.25 million of his Blazers' contract, but it does not count against the team's cap because his knee injury was labeled career ending.

To be sure, one workout does not lock a comeback. No player has ever returned to the NBA after suffering a career-ending injury and the 10-game suspension Miles faces for violating the league's Anti-Drug program could be a deterrent for prospective teams.