PDA

View Full Version : How can the Magic make it without a true pf?

ragee
07-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Just like what I've said on another thread, We need a pf... No disrespect to Lewis... He is a great player but he will be better at sf... If they are going to sign Duhon, they don't have that much resources left to get a decent pf... How can the Magic survive without a true power forward? These are the teams that they are going to have a hard time with:
Blazers=Aldridge/Oden, Raptors=Bosh/Oneal, Lakers=Gasol/Bynum, If they sign brand back; Clippers= Brand/Kaman, Timberwolves=Love/Jefferson(not that much of a problem... not yet...), Suns=Amare/Shaq (Did I miss any team?)

*Superman*
07-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Battie is coming back, but i agree that we need more help.

Reezy
07-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm honestly surprised we didn't draft a PF, maybe the Magic will sign one soon?

HOZ THE KNICK
07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
zack randolph is available he's 26 still young and will give you 20 and 10 every night only problem is he has attitude problems.

*Superman*
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Otis doesn't take anyone with baggage.

ManRam
07-04-2008, 04:20 PM
zack randolph is available he's 26 still young and will give you 20 and 10 every night only problem is he has attitude problems.

If he paid the team 15 million dollars a year (his salary), I still wouldn't want him. His problem isn't just attitude either.

I'm not a huge fan of Shard playing the 4, but it worked for us last year, and it causes match up problems for the opposing team when we're on offense just as much as a big PF causes a match up problem for us on defense. I think it is possible to win playing small, especially in the East. We never had a true PF play PF for us last year, not once. Battie coming off the bench will add a little wrinkle to our offense that teams will have to prepare for.

I'm not sure we need a starting calibur PF, but we do need to play BIG every once in a while just to keep teams honest. It will be good to know, that with Battie, we can have a big front court if needed. Shard di handle his own for the most part last year, guarding much bigger guys.

I want to see this lineup, Jameer/SG/Hedo/Shard/Dwight 60-85% of the time, and this one, Jameer/SG/Shard or Hedo/Battie/Dwight the rest of the time. It's great to be able to switch between a big lineup to a small lineup.

theophilus166
07-04-2008, 05:49 PM

He's a black hole. Once the ball gets to him, it's never coming back. no thanks.

ragee
07-05-2008, 12:57 AM
If he paid the team 15 million dollars a year (his salary), I still wouldn't want him. His problem isn't just attitude either.

I'm not a huge fan of Shard playing the 4, but it worked for us last year, and it causes match up problems for the opposing team when we're on offense just as much as a big PF causes a match up problem for us on defense. I think it is possible to win playing small, especially in the East. We never had a true PF play PF for us last year, not once. Battie coming off the bench will add a little wrinkle to our offense that teams will have to prepare for.

I'm not sure we need a starting calibur PF, but we do need to play BIG every once in a while just to keep teams honest. It will be good to know, that with Battie, we can have a big front court if needed. Shard di handle his own for the most part last year, guarding much bigger guys.

I want to see this lineup, Jameer/SG/Hedo/Shard/Dwight 60-85% of the time, and this one, Jameer/SG/Shard or Hedo/Battie/Dwight the rest of the time. It's great to be able to switch between a big lineup to a small lineup.

I have to disagree... This team is focused on defense and as great as a player Lewis is, he won't be able to handle the 4 spot all the time... We need a true pf... maybe someone who can post up to help Dwight in the offensive end too... If Jermaine Oneal becomes healthy this season, that will be a bad match-up for us... That's the only good thing in this scenario... The Raptors are the only one in the east that can exploit our weakness in 4 spot... However, we don't intend to just settle as eastern conference champs... The Magic wants to go all the way... What if we reach the finals and we are matched up with the Blazers, the Lakers or the Clippers? How can we handle those big guys? I am sure Dwight and Battie will get into foul troubles in that series... Besides, we need to trade Hedo... He will not stay with the Magic next season because he will be wanting more money because he deserves it now...

DSM
07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
The magic already have one hell of a presence in the low post, so its not like they need a big time scorer at PF. However, they do need someone who can help defend the interior and keep howard out of foul trouble. Along those lines, they could use someone who would crash the boards and score garbage/effort baskets. I don't know what the lakers plan to do about ronny turiaf (rfa), but I wouldn't mind seeing the magic make a run at him.

atomik102
07-05-2008, 06:03 PM
thats what battie is for, he is a good defender,smart player, and not a big time scorer, but can give up 8-10 points a game

ragee
07-05-2008, 09:25 PM
thats what battie is for, he is a good defender,smart player, and not a big time scorer, but can give up 8-10 points a game

Yes... I know... I am not disregarding Battie but who else do we have playing at center and pf who is not a sf? Howard and Battie... That is it... and Goriat? Something like that... Point is, we need another big man....

ragee
07-05-2008, 09:28 PM
The magic already have one hell of a presence in the low post, so its not like they need a big time scorer at PF. However, they do need someone who can help defend the interior and keep howard out of foul trouble. Along those lines, they could use someone who would crash the boards and score garbage/effort baskets. I don't know what the lakers plan to do about ronny turiaf (rfa), but I wouldn't mind seeing the magic make a run at him.

Yes, Dwight is one hell of a presence in the low post... However, his offensive skills is not that polished yet... Having another low post scorer would not hurt the team... Did you watch the Magic vs Pistons series? Dwight was shut down and was not able to dominate like how he did in the Rators series...

The Melky Way
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Kwame Brown + Tony Battie means we can shift Dwight back to PF and we will be OK.

Reezy
07-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes... I know... I am not disregarding Battie but who else do we have playing at center and pf who is not a sf? Howard and Battie... That is it... and Goriat? Something like that... Point is, we need another big man....

*Gortat.

ragee
07-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Kwame Brown + Tony Battie means we can shift Dwight back to PF and we will be OK.

Oh yeah... How much is Kwame worth right now? I think he is a decent back up... He can defend and rebound... The only reason why people hate him is because he was so expensive and was not really worth it... And i think he was the first high school student who was drafted 1st overall so people were expecting a lot from him... Decent back up though... I would like him to be a Magic...

atomik102
07-06-2008, 03:39 AM

honestly what is ur obession with brown and having howard play pf, no matter if he plays there teams are still gonna double and triple team him, to quote ups "what will brown do for you"

ragee
07-06-2008, 04:41 AM
honestly what is ur obession with brown and having howard play pf, no matter if he plays there teams are still gonna double and triple team him, to quote ups "what will brown do for you"

A decent back up center or pf... If he comes in a low price...

Sandman
07-06-2008, 01:38 PM
How do they win without a true PF?

They get rid of Rashard Lewis and spend those valuable dollars elsewhere.

TrueFan23
07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm honestly surprised we didn't draft a PF, maybe the Magic will sign one soon?

Mareese speights would have been a good pf but u drafted lee

TrueFan23
07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
the bulls will give u Drew Gooden

Sandman
07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I was peeved they ever gave him away in the first place.

I'm also not sure how he's been doing since he got to Chicago.

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Mareese speights would have been a good pf but u drafted lee

He got drafted by the Sixers at number 18 i think.:mad:

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 03:19 PM
How do they win without a true PF?

They get rid of Rashard Lewis and spend those valuable dollars elsewhere.

I don't like the fact that the Magic way overpaid Rashard, but he is a decent player to the team. Rashard isn't going anywhere, live with it.

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
A decent back up center or pf... If he comes in a low price...

I like Brown for a low price, I mean he is better than Gortat or Cook. Solid D and gets the boards, just no offensive game.

Sandman
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't like the fact that the Magic way overpaid Rashard, but he is a decent player to the team. Rashard isn't going anywhere, live with it.

Here's the problem I have with Rashard Lewis:

- So long as the Magic have Dwight Howard, they have the potential to get rings.

- Right now, they are not the best team in the NBA.

- When they spent money on Rashard Lewis, it obliterated most possibilities for growth.

*This happened 10 years ago, and Shaq left.

Reezy
07-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Who else would you want to see on the Magic?

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Here's the problem I have with Rashard Lewis:

- So long as the Magic have Dwight Howard, they have the potential to get rings.

- Right now, they are not the best team in the NBA.

- When they spent money on Rashard Lewis, it obliterated most possibilities for growth.

*This happened 10 years ago, and Shaq left.

This is the same reason I questioned Otis. Rashard should have done what Gilbert did and took less money, but thats not Rashard's fault for accepting the money, Otis should have never offered that much. What Gilbert said was,"You see players take max deals and they financially bind their teams. I don't wanna be one of those players and three years down the road your team is strapped and can't do anything about it."

I agree with every word he said in that quote. Later on we won't have the money to get key players to win a Championship.

Sandman
07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Who else would you want to see on the Magic?
Its hard for me to say, but I can tell you that with Rashard Lewis, your options become more limited.

Is Rashard Lewis truly a player you limit your options for and go out of your way to acquire?

Or is he the type of player who you sign and look your watch and wait to expire.

Sandman
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree with every word he said in that quote. Later on we won't have the money to get key players to win a Championship.

People should look at the bottom line underneath that. Take less money and win.

Cause winners will make more money in the long haul anyway.

atomik102
07-06-2008, 06:00 PM
with brown u get the same thing as u do with gortat, cook can defend and shoot brown can foul out in record time lol

atomik102
07-06-2008, 06:05 PM
dont you guys see what the celtics did 3 all stars a decent pg and a decent center and a bunch of bench players lol we can win with the team we have, we dont need to be the best team, if the best team always won then sports would be boring

Reezy
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm really looking forward to who else the Magic are going to sign. Should be another great year though.

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
dont you guys see what the celtics did 3 all stars a decent pg and a decent center and a bunch of bench players lol we can win with the team we have, we dont need to be the best team, if the best team always won then sports would be boring

Do you really believe that we can win a Championship with the team we have? To win the Championship you HAVE to be the best team so IDK what u are talking about.

Sandman
07-06-2008, 10:27 PM
3 all stars

dont think we have them.

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 10:31 PM
dont think we have them.

For real we got Dwight, but he is still raw and Rashard isn't considered an All-star to me and Hedo is a role player.
This is why we need a new GM because Otis isn't active enough to make trades and cannot put a contending team together. Hopefully he gets fired soon enough...

ragee
07-06-2008, 10:34 PM

I like the Magic and I don't really like the Celtics... The only reason I rooted for them in the finals was because i hate the Lakers even more... However, I am first to admit that the Magic is nowhere near the Celtics right now... We can't win with the team we have... We need a little more upgrades... The main difference between the two are first, each player in the Celtics, fits well on their team and do they roles perfectly... Second, the 3 all stars that they have can play defense and offense at will... They are a defensive team that has players that can really defend... Our team is focused on defense but still have some voids to fill... How can we play great defense if we have a very limited and small backcourt? How can we play great defense if we have a sf trying to play the pf position just because we don't have enough big men ad just to put our three main scorers inside all at the same time? Fill those voids then we can talk championship... Dwight will be a monster one day... Let's just hope the Magic can build a good team around him or he will just be another Shaq... Someone great but the fruit of his greatenss came out after he left the Magic...

*Superman*
07-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I think our need for a SG is more important than a big. We have no starting SG, so who would be a good FA out their to fill that need. Then we get Jason Williams, and maybe Brown to fill our other spots.

What about Jarvis Hayes(I know he is a SF, could play SG)
Pietrus(another SF that could play SG)

ragee
07-07-2008, 12:12 AM
I think our need for a SG is more important than a big. We have no starting SG, so who would be a good FA out their to fill that need. Then we get Jason Williams, and maybe Brown to fill our other spots.

What about Jarvis Hayes(I know he is a SF, could play SG)
Pietrus(another SF that could play SG)

I know... But for them to be instant contenders this season, they have to fill both of those voids right away... One way to do that is maybe offer Maggette the whole MLE and maybe trade Hedo for big man... Another way is maybe try to get cheaper players but can contribute right away so we ca split the MLE to two players and get a project player or another good one for Hedo... Either way, we need to trade him... He's trade value is really high right now and he is not going to stay in Orlando after this season... I am sure he is going to try to get a bigger and longer contract...

Reezy
07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
For real we got Dwight, but he is still raw and Rashard isn't considered an All-star to me and Hedo is a role player.
This is why we need a new GM because Otis isn't active enough to make trades and cannot put a contending team together. Hopefully he gets fired soon enough...

If we do the same as last year I wouldn't see that happening.

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 12:36 AM
If we do the same as last year I wouldn't see that happening.

I really don't have a problem with Otis, I just want him to be more aggressive looking to make the team better with trades and signings.

By the way, my bad for what i said before about JJ, just got a little hot.

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
I know... But for them to be instant contenders this season, they have to fill both of those voids right away... One way to do that is maybe offer Maggette the whole MLE and maybe trade Hedo for big man... Another way is maybe try to get cheaper players but can contribute right away so we ca split the MLE to two players and get a project player or another good one for Hedo... Either way, we need to trade him... He's trade value is really high right now and he is not going to stay in Orlando after this season... I am sure he is going to try to get a bigger and longer contract...

Otis already said that he isn't looking at trading Hedo and i am not to sure that Maggette will take the MLE from us. He will most likely choose the Spurs, Celtics or the Warriors who might make an offer.

Reezy
07-07-2008, 12:58 AM
I really don't have a problem with Otis, I just want him to be more aggressive looking to make the team better with trades and signings.

By the way, my bad for what i said before about JJ, just got a little hot.
It's cool, don't worry about it. :)

atomik102
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
yea guys we beat the celtics 2-1 in the season series they lost to the wizards 4-0 in teh season series, you need to work together and be hot at the right time, in 04 were the pistons the best team to win ? or when miami won it dallas had the best record in the nba so they shouldve won right ?

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 02:20 AM
^Regular season doesn't mean anything when u get in the post season. Sure we beat Boston but could we have done that in the playoffs when they really wanted it. We didn't even pass the 2nd round and we lost to Detroit with out Billups.

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 02:52 AM
News on Dooling, nothing official.
http://www.thirdquartercollapse.com/2008/7/5/565385/it-looks-to-us-that-keyon

*Superman*
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
For a cheap big i say lets get Ewing out their in a Magic Uniform.lol

ragee
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Otis already said that he isn't looking at trading Hedo and i am not to sure that Maggette will take the MLE from us. He will most likely choose the Spurs, Celtics or the Warriors who might make an offer.

What? Are u serious? That's ridiculous... The magic will definitely lose him next season because he will definitely ask for more money... As for Maggette, i think we still has a chance... He likes Orlando and he will definitely get a starting position if he plays as a Magic...

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 02:01 PM
What? Are u serious? That's ridiculous... The magic will definitely lose him next season because he will definitely ask for more money... As for Maggette, i think we still has a chance... He likes Orlando and he will definitely get a starting position if he plays as a Magic...

Didn't you read where it said that getting Maggette will be a long shot.

Chris36Chambers
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Let's get Kurt Thomas if Maggette signs elsewhere

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Let's get Kurt Thomas if Maggette signs elsewhere

He wants to return to the Spurs, but if the Spurs sign Maggette, then Kurt will pretty much be free.

ragee
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
He wants to return to the Spurs, but if the Spurs sign Maggette, then Kurt will pretty much be free.

Maggette signed with the Warriors so Thomas is out of the question too... Who else can we get?

*Superman*
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Its hard to say who Otis would want. I guess we have to wait and see who is left or their is a chance we pull of a trade.
Wow, i just read that the Magic might bring Foyle back. I hope that doesn't happen. I rather have Gortat play than Foyle.

CHAGO51
07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Melky Way Is Spot On Dwight Is Better Defensively From The Weak Side. Ihopebattie Has Been Eating His Weatties Cause He's Gonna Need'em

CHAGO51
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
Melky Way Is Spot On Dwight Is Better Defensively From The Weak Side. I Hope Battie Has Been Eating His Weatties Cause He's Gonna Need'em

SHONIE
07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Scot Polard.

*Superman*
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
^ I'll pass

*Superman*
07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
We wouldn't need this thread if Otis hadn't lied to Darko and his Agent and said he was our #1 priority when he wasn't. Darko may never live up to his expectations, but i do wish we had him, averaging 7pts, 6reb, and 2 blocked shots in 23 minutes for the Grizz. Also, what did we get out of that trade now for Stuckey( he could have been ours with the 15th pick), nothing, and he could have been our back up PG if we didn't make that Darko trade.

Why Otis, why did you have to screw things up? I want Stuckey, we got scammed.

ragee
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
We wouldn't need this thread if Otis hadn't lied to Darko and his Agent and said he was our #1 priority when he wasn't. Darko may never live up to his expectations, but i do wish we had him, averaging 7pts, 6reb, and 2 blocked shots in 23 minutes for the Grizz. Also, what did we get out of that trade now for Stuckey( he could have been ours with the 15th pick), nothing, and he could have been our back up PG if we didn't make that Darko trade.

Why Otis, why did you have to screw things up? I want Stuckey, we got scammed.

Yeah, I don't think they should have let Darko go... He is like another Kwame Brown... A player that has people expecting greatness from them because they got drafted way to early... I think He can be better than Kwame though... Can we trade GMs too? LOL... If I didn't like the Blazers too, I would say the magic should get Pritchard! LOL That guy is a genius!