PDA

View Full Version : With the absolute TOUGHEST Western conference ever, I don't want Elton Brand...

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Add the TrailBlazers and Clippers to last year's 8 playoff teams and that's
10 SOLID teams minimum fighting for a playoff spot!!!

Next year a 50 game winning team will NOT make the playoffs.

Elton Brand is a great player but his signing will not guarantee that the Warriors will make the playoffs. Signing Brand will no doubt ease the sting of Baron's loss. However I'd prefer being a lottery team rather than a fringe playoff team by signing 28 year old Power Forward coming off a major injury who played only 8 games last year.

2009, the Western conference will go down in history as the toughest conference every assembled. In addition to last years 8 playoff teams, the Clips and Portland have drastically improved, with the additions of Baron Davis, Oden, Bayless and Rudy Fernandez. Don't sleep on Seattle or the Kings either, as thier teams are also young and improving and may also be in the playoff hunt. If I'm the Dubs, I'd just sit this firefight out and let our young talent develop as elite Texas teams, Phoenix and Denver age within the next 2 years.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 01:02 AM
The Warriors are not a team that is completely rebuilding. We have PROVEN young talent in Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Azubuike. The most important thing is signing these guys. Our veterans; Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington are solid players signed to the perfect contract length(2 years).
The are perfect candidates for trades that can net us draft picks or young players.

We can develop immensely this year by playing our young players. Adding a franchise type talent in the 2009 draft such as Demar DeRozan, Blake Griffin or Ricky Rubio and we have a shot at the playoffs in 2009, 1 year removed from Baron Davis.

In 2 years 2010, there shall be a numerous amount of free agents: Lebron, Wade, Amare, Bosh, Anthony, etc. Who we will have a chance to sign.

Also in 2 years 5 perennial playoff teams in Denver, San Antonio, Houston Phoenix and Dallas will be on thier way down with aging stars Iverson, Camby, Duncan, TMac, Nash and Jason Kidd at the end of their careers.

If we don't sign Brand and obtain a lottery pick in 2009, we are a team that looks eerily similar to the Blazers in regards to young talent. No doubt the Blazers have more young talent, but unlike the Blazers we also are free from useless veterans; Raef LaFrentz and Darius Miles; and thier huge contracts. In thier place we have Al and Jackson who can net us additional picks in 2009 and 2010.

If we resign Monta and play our youngsters, the Dubs will continue to be an exciting. Go DUBS!!!

Chris Mills
07-04-2008, 03:51 AM
I agree that we definitely should go young however mullin keeps making aggressive contract moves going after players that are in their "primes' right now. If we are going after the maggettes and elton brands it seems like mullin wants to win right now. Win meaning making the playoffs. i just dont see that happening this year. play marco, randolph, and wright. I def think that the western conference is too tough right now and we should develop all of the potential that we have.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 04:41 AM
I agree that we definitely should go young however mullin keeps making aggressive contract moves going after players that are in their "primes' right now. If we are going after the maggettes and elton brands it seems like mullin wants to win right now. Win meaning making the playoffs. i just dont see that happening this year. play marco, randolph, and wright. I def think that the western conference is too tough right now and we should develop all of the potential that we have.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/04/SPV611JS76.DTL

Brand at $18 mil/year
Maggette at $8 mil/year

Mills,
I actually like the idea of signing Maggette. I know I sound hippocritical, but I think signing Maggette to a long term contract is worth it, at the right price. Maggette is relatively young at 28, but he has had no major injuries. What I worry about is how good is he going to make us? I want us to tank, so we get more lotter balls. I guess the Warriors may be thinking that if we sign Maggette he still wouldn't make us a playoff team, nor would he be expected to take us to the playoffs. Even with Magette there's still a good chance that we'll be a cellar dwellar along with Memphis, Minnesota and Seattle. Right now Maggette is being offered the full mid-level exception, 5 years $32 million by San Antonio. If we give him 5 years $40-42 million, would he bite? I think of Maggette as a proven upgrade over Azubuike. I'm guessing Azubuike would get $4-5 million a year. Question is whether you'd be willing to pay $3-4 million more to get Maggette? I think I would. Maggette is a proven 20+ pt scorere in the NBA at a bargain rate.

Signing Magette ensures that we have a solid nucleus that appeals to a big name free agent in 2009 or 2010 without totally crippling us cap wise.

Signing Brand, decreases our flexibility and puts the pressure on the Dubs to win now, but I'm not sure we have the squad with Brand to win it all or even make the playoffs, with a gaping hole at PG.

Kings Faithful
07-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Next year is gonna be wild. Kings will be in the hunt if we stay healthy, unless we trade Artest for crap then there is no chance. Still, its gonna be insane. I wouldn't count the warriors just out yet. Remember you do have Ellis who can start now. Picking up Brand could boost you into the playoffs. If id were you guys i would say go for it at least until mid way through the season when we have a better look at the standings. ;)

gswmentality
07-04-2008, 06:51 AM
the only downside of landing brand is our cap room first and foremost. but if brand does turn out to be amare stoudamire like after his surgeries then we'd be prettty much in good position to make the postseason. we'd pretty much guarantee a 20-10 from him. our point guard position is a question mark as we'll have monta learning the point but i dont think he'll ever be a pass first point guard like other quality guards out there. (hinrich, nash, paul) monta is more of an AI like clone which i thikn is pretty decent because AI runs the point most of the time when he was with philly. we can split monta at the point with another guard or have jackson come in and step in as the point foward. i thikn bringing in brand will strengthen our roster but also have a dent on wright's development.

our roster would look pretty decent if we have brand
a solid roster that can definitely rebound
our three point threat can still be there if our shooters improve
we'll still have our run and gun offense
wright can still have 25+ mins a game and develop under brand's presence
the lineup can be mixed around but i'd prefer the starting five as is
couple of offseason moves will bring in players which i didnt put on the roster

ellis, watson, FA,
jackson, buki, belinelli, pietrus, randolph
harrington, jackson, pietrus (if resigned), belinelli, randolph
brand, wright, harrington, hendrix
biedrins, brand

gswmentality
07-04-2008, 06:55 AM
and as of right now, the nastiest lineup in the NBA has got to the LA lakers roster.

fisher
bryant
odom
gasol
bynum

i don't know if there is another team that can match them talentwise position by position. there are teams out there in the west that has 3-4 players that can move with the lakers but there will always be a mismatch at some place, especially wiht odom if he plays more toward the basket.

xxblaz3inxx
07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
yea rebild I was thinking trade monte ellis for David lee next year 1st round pick......monte said he wants to play for mike dantoni.... He is still mad that baron Davis left

Mister Mitty
07-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Isn't that what it's all about? Competing? TRYING to win with the best team we can have rather than just plain tanking. Seriously, are we going to have a losing mentality with this team for 2 decades instead of 1?

What kind of message is that sending to our VERY young guys AND our fans that the organization isn't willing to spend money to be competitive? Yes, please buy season tickets to see a lot of losing!!!! Please buy jerseys for a guy who'll never pan out or won't be with the team after this season!!! Haven't we already done this enough?

Even if our guys do become all-stars or all-star caliber, what makes you think they'll WANT to stay if they see Baron leave and us not trying to go after big stars like Brand and Arenas?

When's the last time we got a MAJOR free agent??? All that cap space with Baron leaving means nothing if we're not going to use it to get talent.

oracle650
07-04-2008, 12:03 PM
and as of right now, the nastiest lineup in the NBA has got to the LA lakers roster.

fisher
bryant
odom
gasol
bynum

i don't know if there is another team that can match them talentwise position by position. there are teams out there in the west that has 3-4 players that can move with the lakers but there will always be a mismatch at some place, especially wiht odom if he plays more toward the basket.

they still gotta redeem themselves. the way gasol and odom got their skirts lifted up in the finals. portland and everyone else is gonna be tougher. just hope that mullin quits being desperate and wisens up. or were doomed.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Isn't that what it's all about? Competing? TRYING to win with the best team we can have rather than just plain tanking. Seriously, are we going to have a losing mentality with this team for 2 decades instead of 1?

What kind of message is that sending to our VERY young guys AND our fans that the organization isn't willing to spend money to be competitive? Yes, please buy season tickets to see a lot of losing!!!! Please buy jerseys for a guy who'll never pan out or won't be with the team after this season!!! Haven't we already done this enough?

Even if our guys do become all-stars or all-star caliber, what makes you think they'll WANT to stay if they see Baron leave and us not trying to go after big stars like Brand and Arenas?

When's the last time we got a MAJOR free agent??? All that cap space with Baron leaving means nothing if we're not going to use it to get talent.

Spend Wisely.

We overpaid in keeping, Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Derek Fisher and Adonal Foyle. Fortunately DunMurphy is Indiana's problem and they are SCREWED, with their contracts for the next 3 years. Their contracts limits the amount they can offer a Free Agent.

In regards to our young guys, Monta and Biedrins, it is definitely critical to resign them. A DEFINITE MUST!!!

Wright, Marco, and Randolph are locked up in contracts for at least the next 4 years. Hendrix will be locked up for 3 years.

Hopefully we resign Monta and Biedrins to long term deals, as well as Corey Maggette. These 3 along with our 4 young guys, are a nice young core that will be together for 4 years(excluding Hendrix).

Mister Mitty
07-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Yes, I agree to spend wisely.

But unfortunately, I don't see that as an option for the Ws. We're going to have to overspend to get FAs to come. What high profile free agent, this year, next year or the year after that, would want to take less/equal money for a group of 18-22 year olds most of whom haven't played significant NBA minutes if any?? Especially after the Baron debacle, even Harrington is thinking of demanding a trade.

Yes, Mullin threw money at Dunleavy and Murphy, but he also expected them to get better and better (obviously that didn't work out).

We said Belli would be the second coming of Ginobili but he didn't play a lick. Nellie said he loved B. Wright, but he didn't play a lick either. No offense, but we should stop overvaluing our players and undervaluing a 4 who can put up 20-10 every night.

Now, we have the new "core" and we have to wait yet again to see them mature and then throw big money contracts for their potential yet again?

Frankly, I'd like to see a more high level finished product come to the Ws rather than hopes and dreams "of the future." The last one of that ilk who came was Baron.

$KnicksAndKobe$
07-04-2008, 04:00 PM
If Memphis gets a legit big man then i think they can be a sleeper, especially the Wolves if Randy Foye shows that star inside of him.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Minnesota and the Kings could surprise. Let's see what happens.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Yes, I agree to spend wisely.

But unfortunately, I don't see that as an option for the Ws. We're going to have to overspend to get FAs to come. What high profile free agent, this year, next year or the year after that, would want to take less/equal money for a group of 18-22 year olds most of whom haven't played significant NBA minutes if any?? Especially after the Baron debacle, even Harrington is thinking of demanding a trade.

Yes, Mullin threw money at Dunleavy and Murphy, but he also expected them to get better and better (obviously that didn't work out).

We said Belli would be the second coming of Ginobili but he didn't play a lick. Nellie said he loved B. Wright, but he didn't play a lick either. No offense, but we should stop overvaluing our players and undervaluing a 4 who can put up 20-10 every night.

Now, we have the new "core" and we have to wait yet again to see them mature and then throw big money contracts for their potential yet again?

Frankly, I'd like to see a more high level finished product come to the Ws rather than hopes and dreams "of the future." The last one of that ilk who came was Baron.

Another fan who wants instant gratification. Everyone wants a championship team, but it's not that simple. The Dubs with Baron and Brand are not guaranteed a championship, in fact, odds are one of them gets injured sooner rather than later.

The Dubs youngsters will have this year to prove themselves. I think you'll be surprised.

$$$ and a solid young core will attract a Free Agent.

garlicboy
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
By the way, Carlos Boozer has a Player Option in 2009. California is not purgatory. It's actually a rather nice place.

Mister Mitty
07-05-2008, 02:21 AM
So you're more or less saying we should hope Boozer opts out and then hope he signs with us?

Yes, you're right California is a nice place to live. They'll be plenty of free agents coming here, except they'll probably be going to either of the LA teams or even the Kings. Who'd want to come to a team who loses their best player without getting anything in return? Who'd want to come to a team that is "rebuilding" every year?

Instant gratification? Really?? The warriors have been losing for more than a decade and I've stuck by them, so I want instant gratification?

Frankly, I'd rather see the Ws try to win every season than tank for more lottery balls. I'm sorry not everyone wants to wait 2-3 seasons before their team wins.

tru_warrior
07-05-2008, 02:31 AM
Another fan who wants instant gratification. Everyone wants a championship team, but it's not that simple. The Dubs with Baron and Brand are not guaranteed a championship, in fact, odds are one of them gets injured sooner rather than later.

The Dubs youngsters will have this year to prove themselves. I think you'll be surprised.

$$$ and a solid young core will attract a Free Agent.

which is why aaron rowand signed with the Giants :)

and losing one guy doesn't mean we're rebuilding. they warriors will right this ship in no time...don't worry.