PDA

View Full Version : why not leave the history of the supersonics in seattle

rossgloadshow
07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
since they are pretty much removing the supersonics in this move why dont they just become an expansion team. they wont have the same colors, name, or city so why not just leave the history back in seattle.

db75
07-04-2008, 12:48 AM
They are. Nothing regarding the SuperSonics is moving. The move is only for players and personnel. Like you said, the OKC team is basically an expansion team and the SuperSonics dissolve until expansion comes to them.

Nwsports22
07-04-2008, 01:14 AM
All of the records are moving to OKC. All of Paytons all times records will be known as OKC records. Theyre even making replica banners and nba championship trophy to have down there, and if Seattle doesnt get a team in 5 years all the real stuff gets shipped down to OKC.

trunks17321
07-04-2008, 03:18 AM
the replica banners and fake trophy is complete horse #$%*, I really want to talk to a Cleveland Browns fan right now. I am suprised KJR 950 hasn't brought a few on yet.

Countdown
07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I know its hard losing a team, you guys deserve better than that. I was just wondering, since the Sonics are moving, is OKC one of the places you would want them to move?

Do you think Vancouver would be a better place for the team to move? It just north of the border, not a big trip for you Sonic fans to travel.

I know it may seem bias because I am Canadian and all, but I would not want to give up the name, and the colours.

Here are the places they could move to,
Vancouver
Kansas City
San Fransico
San Jose
Buffalo
South Carolina
Edmonton
Nashville
OKC

Where would you perfer the Sonics moving, since they are moving. I am sorry for asking, but i just need to know.

Nwsports22
07-04-2008, 01:09 PM
No Sonics fan wanted the team to move why would we pefer the team to go one place or another

Boozerguy47
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Bennett and Stern are complete idiots and only care about eachother. Not over a few million people up in the NW. They just love eachother.

db75
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
All of the records are moving to OKC. All of Paytons all times records will be known as OKC records. Theyre even making replica banners and nba championship trophy to have down there, and if Seattle doesnt get a team in 5 years all the real stuff gets shipped down to OKC.

Where have you heard that from? Everything I've read and heard is that Seattle retains everything except for the players and personnel. Even the Seattle Times is reporting that.

The Oklahoma team will play under a different name, with the Sonics' history and colors to remain in Seattle."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008031047_sonicssettlement03m.html

Nwsports22
07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Where have you heard that from? Everything I've read and heard is that Seattle retains everything except for the players and personnel. Even the Seattle Times is reporting that.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008031047_sonicssettlement03m.html

Its been all ove sports radio in seattle, go read the agreement its in there.

db75
07-04-2008, 08:48 PM
^I'm pretty sure you're misinterpreting the deal.

With regards to one of your earlier posts NWS22, the 5 year deal is that if Seattle does not get a new franchise within that timeframe, the current owners of the 'Sonics' must pay Seattle an additional $30 million dollars in addition to the $45 mil. they are paying for relocation. None of the banners or trophies or history would move. If Seattle gets a team, that team would get the Sonics's history (and most likely name and colors). What is happening is basically a dissolving of the Seattle SuperSonics image with a replacement image in OKC acting as an expansion team.

This is basically a carbon-copy of when the Browns were moved from Cleveland to Baltimore. The Baltimore team became the Ravens, retaining all current players and personnel. Cleveland, while having no team, retained the Browns image, colors, and history.

I'm not trying to fight, but I want to make sure you understand what's going on. Being a Chicagoan, I do not get Seattle radio. Maybe something has changed in the deal within the past day (since all of the reports I am reading are dated mid-day July 3rd) and you may be correct. But I would expect ESPN or some other sports outlet to have commented on that, and they have not. Here's another article if you're interested in reading it.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/369313_trial03.html

Nwsports22
07-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I know what im talking about when it comes to this, espn is going to show anything about the move, they never showed anything on the trial and they wont bring up anything of the specifics on the move. Again the team in OKC gets to share the records if we get a new team within the 5 years. and if we dont they get everything all the real banners, and championship trophy. its not like the browns the browns were told they would get a new team. here we arent that lucky the league said we will inform you if a team is up for sale. that doesnt mean that a team is going to come here.

_Sn1P3r_
07-05-2008, 01:37 PM

Omg that really sucks for you guys. Hope that doesnt happen to us in Toronto.

db75
07-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I know what im talking about when it comes to this, espn is going to show anything about the move, they never showed anything on the trial and they wont bring up anything of the specifics on the move. Again the team in OKC gets to share the records if we get a new team within the 5 years. and if we dont they get everything all the real banners, and championship trophy. its not like the browns the browns were told they would get a new team. here we arent that lucky the league said we will inform you if a team is up for sale. that doesnt mean that a team is going to come here.

If that's true, that sounds like an awful deal. I'm curious as to the specifics. Do you have a link so share with them?

Nwsports22
07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
If that's true, that sounds like an awful deal. I'm curious as to the specifics. Do you have a link so share with them?

Its true, and no i dont have a link just go look it up

db75
07-06-2008, 05:09 AM
I didn't believe all that when you first said it (and I'm honestly shocked that EVERY site I previously looked at reported the deal incorrectly), but I just found that info. My apologies for arguing with you. That's an incredibly twisted deal that Bennett and his lawyers worked up.

Cavs_Fan24
07-06-2008, 12:37 PM
i cant see the NBA without a team in Seattle, if/when they get another team, i hope it's soon..

FWBrodie
07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
i cant see the NBA without a team in Seattle, if/when they get another team, i hope it's soon..

Thanks man. Us too.