PDA

View Full Version : Ellis- Jamal Crawford backcourt

edmvr6
07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Source: Warriors' Ellis would be interested in Knicks
BY ALAN HAHN | alan.hahn@newsday.com
11:57 PM EDT, July 3, 2008
While the Knicks continue to wait for Chris Duhon to accept or reject their offer, another interesting scenario is beginning to surface involving Monta Ellis, the dynamic young guard for the Golden State Warriors.

Ellis, 22, a restricted free agent, is starting to draw a great deal of attention in several sign-and-trade scenarios. A person with knowledge of the situation said nine teams have made inquiries about Ellis. The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers have shown the most interest. The Knicks, who are searching for point guard help, are not one of those teams, but a second source said the Knicks have been monitoring the situation. Warriors executive vice president Chris .Mullin has maintained he .intends to sign Ellis.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh and Mullin are close, so Walsh won't act unless Mullin is ready to deal. The source said the potential of an Ellis- Jamal Crawford backcourt "would be dynamic" in the Mike D'Antoni system. Both players averaged 20 points per game this past .season. A person close to Ellis said the lightning-quick guard "would be very interested in the Knicks" and especially playing for D'Antoni.

Ellis' agent, Jeff Fried, would not comment on the interest in his client from other NBA teams and said talks with the Warriors are ongoing. "We are continuing discussions," Fried replied in an e-mail.
But word of Ellis' interest in New York -- and other potential destinations -- will not sit well in the Bay Area, which is still reeling from the departure of Baron Davis. Newsday in May first reported that Davis was making inquiries through intermediaries about possible interest from various teams around the league as he mulled his opt-out. A source told Newsday that the Knicks were one of the teams he checked with, but the Knicks were not interested.

Davis has since reached an agreement with the Clippers, which left the Warriors with just Ellis at point guard.

Ellis, who quickly emerged as a scoring machine in Don Nelson's fast-paced offense, made $770,610 this past season and .likely is seeking a hefty raise to .upwards of $10 million per season in a five-to-six-year deal.

What can we possiably do to get this kid? is it possiable? Is it worth it?

KnicksFan4Years
07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Marbury, Balkman, David Lee for Ellis and Harrington

Marbury gives them a starting guard that can give them a legit scoring option.
He is also an expiring so they don't have to take on too much salary this season and maintain cap flexibility next season.

29$JerZ
07-04-2008, 12:16 AM
If Knicks were to make a Deal with the Warriors, We Need to at least obtain a PG and a scoring Option at the 2 or 4.

Al Harrington + either Pietrus or Barnes (Both are SF but with their size and quickness can be our back up SG')

I'm not in favor of giving them Lee, Lee has good value and we could do better than Al and some scorers.

edmvr6
07-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I think any deal we do like that will have to include David Lee, even if we go after hinrich it will cost us Lee

xxblaz3inxx
07-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I would knicks fans and mike Dantoni would love this kid he is the future and can get us like 20ppg and 7assist he would flurish in mike system let's pl
Pray to get him in newyork

MOHA
07-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I would love Ellis playing for The Knicks. Him and Jamal will be a sick backcourt tandem. GO KNICKS.

KnicksorBust
07-04-2008, 01:00 AM
We would lose every game 115-108 but whatever go for it. :laugh:

Plus wouldn't Monta screw us up for trying to get under the cap...

Sports Illustrator
07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
We would lose every game 115-108 but whatever go for it. :laugh:

Plus wouldn't Monta screw us up for trying to get under the cap...

I don't really expect the Knicks to sign defensive players considering the coach we have. Look at our draft pick, he plays no D, that was Donnie Walsh's first of many roster moves.

I happen to think Ellis and Crawford makes a crazy backcourt, but Monta Ellis still isn't the pure PG the Knicks really need. If we are able to get Monta Ellis for a reasonable price though, I'd most likely go for it.

KnicksorBust
07-04-2008, 01:08 AM
It's irrelevant because G-State will match any offer and we don't have the pieces to get a trade with them. I just don't see how Monta-Jamal makes sense. Two, should be strictly, SG's trying to co-exist and still get their 20 points? Neither an automatic threat from downtown...

Sports Illustrator
07-04-2008, 01:12 AM
It's irrelevant because G-State will match any offer and we don't have the pieces to get a trade with them. I just don't see how Monta-Jamal makes sense. Two, should be strictly, SG's trying to co-exist and still get their 20 points? Neither an automatic threat from downtown...

Well I don't think Monta Ellis takes an MLE offer from the Knicks anyway. Its also bad enough for the Warriors to lose out on Baron Davis, so that should motivate them even more to want to keep Monta Ellis and don't be surprised if he ends up being the starting Point Guard for that team.

I also don't think he'll be a Knick, but I do recognize that even though Ellis is not a pure PG, a backcourt with him and Jamal Crawford could be crazy of Monta Ellis doesn't play selfish. He didn't seem like a selfish player in Golden State anyway.

THE MTL
07-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Jamal Crawford and Monta Ellis back-court looks pretty sick. But can Monta Ellis hold down the PG position?? Anyway, he is worth the 10 million a year and the Knicks would just have to find deals to get rid of the other salaries. We have two and a half years. It can be done.

However, Warriors have ALOT ALOT ALOT of cap space. No way they let Ellis go after losing Baron Davis. Plus, Warriors have the money. Iono why that team is so cheap. So cheap. They saved all this money these past two years. There players werent getting crap. And they also had the best attendance this season. Warriors gonna cough up the cash for Ellis.

However, if I was Monta Ellis I would wanna get outta G-State. The West competition is rough and that team isnt going anywhere without Baron Davis.

PC
07-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Again, only if we trade Zach, Jeffries, and Jamal. Even if we get Monta at 10 million, if we trade all 3, we can still offer a max contract. I would try trading all 3 for Monta, Harrington, and filler. But I doubt Monta goes anywhere

MrBloop
07-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I just say we try and get kirk somehow...we need a floor general, not another athletic, turnover/scoring machine...dont we have enough of those anyway?

Weezy
07-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Monta is staying in GS. Thats what I think. :)

trout1627
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
We don't need both Crawford and Ellis. Ellis is younger and a smarter player. Trade Crawford for Ellis. Add Marbury too so the Warriors will have their floor general for a year. Then the following year they will have 21 mill to go shopping with.

still a fan
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
A person with knowledge of the situation said nine teams have made inquiries about Ellis. The Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers have shown the most interest. The Knicks, who are searching for point guard help, are not one of those teams, but a second source said the Knicks have been monitoring the situation. Warriors executive vice president Chris .Mullin has maintained he .intends to sign Ellis.

Hahn has nothing else to report- where would any of this get us excited that he is coming. A back court of Nash an Craw is scary but I don't see that happining LOL

Ts getting down to a friend of a sources cousin once removed knows the guys that hands out towels and overheard the girl who serves pretzed say the knicks are interested in ?????

Duhon is insulted by the Knicks mere 2 yr deal will enjoy the 4th weekend and probably go to Orlando unless they get maggette.

Isiah left us in a mess, a mess he inherited as well but he just added fuel to the fire searching for the quick fix, a lot of fuel!!, and it seems a lot of people still want to continue on that path.

It's frustrating guy's but this is reality!! It would be real hard if not impossible for Donnie to keep his 2010 plan and sign Ellis for 10MIL. that is 1/6 of the cap, plus Ellis will be wanted by others that can wheel and deal and come close to the money he will and can demand.

I am beginning to think this 2010 plan will be real difficult and we might be better off with an Ellis who could turn into a star and then go after the 2nd tier guys who won't demand the majority of cap money.

Gets more and more confusing and frustrating but once again it is reality!!

blueNorange
07-04-2008, 11:06 AM
No!!!!!!!

PJAF
07-04-2008, 11:11 AM
No way is Mullin going to lose a 22 year old Ellis after BDiddy flew the coop for Clips. And he doesn't want Marbury. Nobody does at 21 mi. But after this season he will be a commodity and sign for 7-10 with another team. Maybe by Feb. they may trade him to a contender whose starting point guard is down.

knicks religion
07-04-2008, 12:19 PM
=p

HOZ THE KNICK
07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I just say we try and get kirk somehow...we need a floor general, not another athletic, turnover/scoring machine...dont we have enough of those anyway?

we had a deal on the table for hinrich and gooden for zack but walsh turned it down he was saying he wanted ben gorden instead of hinrich.

yankeesown69
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Monta ellis is complete beast. He does not miss a mid range jump shot and even at his 6'3 height he is a fantastic finisher at the basket whether it be with a high-flying dunk or a layin. Monta and Jamal would be ridiculous in the open court together with Jamal's nasty crossovers and Monta's ability to finish.

wallywhoa
07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree with you trout1627 we do not need Crawford especially if we can obtain Ellis.I do not know if anyone out there agrees with me but Ellis is a problem on the court you cant teach speed and IQ If I were DW I would approach this option without hesitation I feel he is a perfect fit for what we have now on the roster and the future why worry 2010! When we can possibly have Ellis now threw sign & trade I say go all out 4 this kid and he wants to come hear players with Ellis's ability are hard to find just imagine nate,ellis,chandler,gallo,& lee all we would need is that shot blocking agressive big man, can anyone see us going 4 Brandon Bass from dallas the kid is a beast baby Amari

THE MTL
07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I dont buy into a hyped-up duo anymore. Knicks went through it too many times.

Marbury and Francis.
Randolph and Curry.
Crawford and Ellis.

NO MORE OF THIS! (it does look good on paper though)

Starbury
07-04-2008, 04:41 PM
we had a deal on the table for hinrich and gooden for zack but walsh turned it down he was saying he wanted ben gorden instead of hinrich.

That deal would make us better defensively and would give us a decent shot-blocker. With Duhon on board, Hinrich would be good, but we'd have to get rid of many of our guys (Marbury for a start, then Collins, or Nate or Jamal).

I also think that with Baron's departure, Ellis isn't going anywhere. But we could still make a deal for others that fit this system better. Something like,

Zach Randolph (inside scorer they may want, and he can also shoot from outside) for Al Harrington + Matt Barnes in a sign n trade.

Harrington is a typical D'Antoni PF and Barnes can play SG, SF and PF for him. We'd have a truly deep and versatile roster looking like this:

C Curry, Jeffries
PF Harrington, Lee
SF Barnes, Gallinari/Chandler
SG Richardson, Crawford
PG Duhon, Robinson

This way we'd have 4 good defenders starting. Crawford would be the sixth man (his best role in the NBA, bench and clutch scorer) like Barbosa for D'Antoni. Thoughts?