PDA

View Full Version : Is there a precedent for the Portland Trail Blazers?

Wake's Fastball
07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
The Trail Blazers have put together an unconscionable amount of talent, as I'm sure you're all aware. It seems that the sky is the limit for what this franchise is now able to accomplish. My question is, is there a precedent for the superpower that this team could become for the next ten years and the absurd heights that the young potential on this team could bring them to?

Bits and pieces:
- 7 current or former lottery picks aged 24 or younger, along with 4 other former or current first round picks aged 23 or younger.
- Just 38 million in committed salaries through next season (not counting what could be paid to potential RFAs Webster and Frye).
- A team that already has proven itself as at least a .500 ball club before the additions of Greg Oden, Jerryd Bayless and young international star Rudy Fernandez, all of whom could be starters this year at some point.

Does this team have the potential to be one of the best ever? Is everything too good to be true? I hate to beat a dead horse, but how good is this team actually going to be?

ManRam
07-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I read an article the other day that talked about this, and I'll look for it...but in a word, NO, there is no precedent. For reasons that are probably fairly obvious (everyone used to go to college), there has never been a team that was this young, ever. There has never been a team that has had as many draft picks in I think it was three consecutive years as Portland had. It is without a doubt unprecedented.

Basically, no one can really say, without a doubt, that this team will be elite. They are young, and in many cases, that can be more of a problem than an asset. It may be difficult to develop all these guys properly, but then again, since they are all so young, it might be easier. I think it could very well be too good to be true. I've never seen any team remotely like this, certainly not a team that had success. I think they can, but they are a unique, and unprecedented team, so it isn't a slam dunk. It will be a lot of fun to follow this team for the years to come, and see how they grow, play together, win, lose and see who stays, and who goes. I'm not on the bandwagon like a lot of other guys, but I'm ready to grab onto it. I just don't know what to expect.

Gilbert>TheRest
07-03-2008, 11:49 PM
they could one day win over 70 games

BADizzleBoY
07-03-2008, 11:51 PM
lol... that'd be cool. If they were the sixers.

Gilbert>TheRest
07-03-2008, 11:55 PM
lol 1 year ago before the draft i was saying it must suck to be a blazers fans

grega1976
07-03-2008, 11:56 PM
maybe they should finish about .500 before everyone starts sucking their dicks... just my opinion

Gilbert>TheRest
07-03-2008, 11:59 PM
maybe they should finish about .500 before everyone starts sucking their dicks... just my opinion

they did....just a fact

RipCityRollin
07-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Are you kidding me? Do you watch the N.B.A.??? .500 is what they ended with this last season. And that's in the WESTERN conference you fool! And oh yeah, they've got a beast they call G.O. coming next year and he's got a couple buddies named Rudy and Jerryd coming with him! I hope for you and your pride, if you have any, that your team is buried somewhere in the Eastern Conference!

RipCityRollin
07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Are you kidding me? Do you watch the N.B.A.??? .500 is what they ended with this last season. And that's in the WESTERN conference you fool! And oh yeah, they've got a beast they call G.O. coming next year and he's got a couple buddies named Rudy and Jerryd coming with him! I hope for you and your pride, if you have any, that your team is buried somewhere in the Eastern Conference!

LAcowBOMBER
07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Uhhh...a team this young won't be successful, at least not a the championship level, and if they all develop, like Blazer fans are hoping, how does Portland plan to re-sign them? Right now they aren't better than the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Jazz, Rockets and I don't see them getting better than the younger teams like the Lakers, Jazz, or Hornets even when their players do develop.

superkegger
07-04-2008, 12:31 AM
they could one day win over 70 games
I don't know about that. Thats probably one of the hardest things to do in the NBA.

they did....just a fact

BURN!!!

But to the question. Like ManRam said, no I don't think there is a precedent. Incredibly Shrewd management. The sky is the limit, as long as all those young pieces grow together and they stick to their guns and their plan. It all kind of hinges on Oden though, if he is the dominant C he was projected to be, wow, they will be beasts for years and years. I can't think of a team that has that kind of future ever.

lakers4sho
07-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Don't ride their nuts all of a sudden. Let's see how this year goes for them, and then we can predict from there. They have players with good potentials, but remember they're still young, and it's still probably gonna take around 2-3 years for them to get to the championship level assuming things go well for them.

lavis
07-04-2008, 02:25 AM
LOL

Overhyped, overrated and so on. These Blazers will suck balls. 1 or maybe 2 good years might come but that's about it.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Lets see how many they can keep in a few years. C.R.E.A.M

Afridi786
07-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Let them make the playoffs before u start calling them a dynasty....for all u guys know, Oden might be a bust for the expectaitons or just be injury prone.

Faneik
07-04-2008, 05:08 AM
As it been said the Blazers right now are stacked with very good young players.

Most of them are in their rookie contracts, in a few years when they start wanting new (expensive) deals will Paul Allen spend the bucks to keep them all?

B/c to keep them all we're talking about serious money...

valade16
07-04-2008, 06:11 AM
As it been said the Blazers right now are stacked with very good young players.

Most of them are in their rookie contracts, in a few years when they start wanting new (expensive) deals will Paul Allen spend the bucks to keep them all?

B/c to keep them all we're talking about serious money...

It amazes me how many people can be so skeptical to the point of failing to see the past.

I'm not saying the Blazers will be a dynasty, nor am I saying they will win 70 games. Do they have a shot? Maybe. I've been a lifelong Blazer fan and at this point I'm focused on one thing, winning a championship. If this group of Blazers can do that I'll be happy.

But to all you who keep asking whether Allen will Spend the money to keep this talented nucleous please educate yourself before you spout ignorance. The Blazers will only have 38 Million in committed salaries next year, which leaves plenty of money to start locking up our young players. Also notice that Paul Allen is not afraid to spend money in order for his team to win. He has purchased draft picks the last 2 years and back in the early 2000's when the Blazers were good our Payroll was the highest in the league (yes, higher than the Knicks) clocking in at like 128 Million. He won't be afraid to spend money and anyone educated on the situation knows that...

torontosports10
07-04-2008, 06:24 AM
One of the smartest things they will have ever done was get Bayless. Now they have a good youbg cheap pg. I hope they dont go out and plan on spending money on a FA if they want to keep this team close. Roy will get 1-12 mill a season. Aldridge will get 8-10. Then after that season I think its Oden's turn and then Bayless. Not to menction Webster and Frye this season.

But if they can manage the cap the right way and keep the key players they will be a foce in 2 years. That is a Promise.

JordansBulls
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
The Trail Blazers have put together an unconscionable amount of talent, as I'm sure you're all aware. It seems that the sky is the limit for what this franchise is now able to accomplish. My question is, is there a precedent for the superpower that this team could become for the next ten years and the absurd heights that the young potential on this team could bring them to?

Bits and pieces:
- 7 current or former lottery picks aged 24 or younger, along with 4 other former or current first round picks aged 23 or younger.
- Just 38 million in committed salaries through next season (not counting what could be paid to potential RFAs Webster and Frye).
- A team that already has proven itself as at least a .500 ball club before the additions of Greg Oden, Jerryd Bayless and young international star Rudy Fernandez, all of whom could be starters this year at some point.

Does this team have the potential to be one of the best ever? Is everything too good to be true? I hate to beat a dead horse, but how good is this team actually going to be?

We have to see how it works out but the future is bright for them.

theimortalone
07-04-2008, 08:20 AM
No. It is way to early to say that about this team. Yes they did win .500 games last year w/o Greg Oden, but he was injured last year, which may throw him back a couple of years. People need to wait until after this season when they have all played a year of together(Which includes Greg Oden being healthy.) Lets see how this year goes first. I believe that they do have playoff potential.

_Sn1P3r_
07-04-2008, 07:12 PM
This team last year proved they could compete in the West after finishing tenth overall in a deep conference. They are still a very young team with talent still yet to play like Oden, Bayless and Fernandez and with all the aging teams like Spurs and Suns, this team in the future is bound to be a playoff team year in and year out once they learn to play well together and to put a consistent and hard effort every night.

grega1976
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM

actually my team is the rockets.. Yes I watch almost every game I can.. Greg Oden has never done anything in the NBA so no one knows what he will do. The only player that has proven anything on the Blazers is Roy, and sometimes Aldridge, but he tends to fizzle after the first half of games. About was supposed to be ABOVE, sorry I was talking to my wife on the phone while I typed that.. About doesn't even make much sense.. other than that like I said they haven't proven anything yet.. They started out hot and really fizzled down the stretch.. They are very young and unproven so like I said before maybe they should do something before everyone starts sucking their dicks..

grega1976
07-04-2008, 07:25 PM
they did....just a fact

^^ see above..

arlubas
07-05-2008, 03:13 AM
This team sure looks like a rising power in the league. Because everyone is a youngster though they have to prove themselves and also play with their mind in their heads when things get tough in games. But yeah, this team sure looks like the real deal even though have so many youngsters could hold some of them back as far as their progression goes. Still I'll be watching them a lot this next season.

valade16
07-05-2008, 03:58 AM
actually my team is the rockets.. Yes I watch almost every game I can.. Greg Oden has never done anything in the NBA so no one knows what he will do. The only player that has proven anything on the Blazers is Roy, and sometimes Aldridge, but he tends to fizzle after the first half of games. About was supposed to be ABOVE, sorry I was talking to my wife on the phone while I typed that.. About doesn't even make much sense.. other than that like I said they haven't proven anything yet.. They started out hot and really fizzled down the stretch.. They are very young and unproven so like I said before maybe they should do something before everyone starts sucking their dicks..

Greg Oden hasn't done anything in the NBA yet, however based on potential there is no denying he is one of the most intriguing prospects and his chances of being a good player far outweigh his chances of being a bad one. Pretty much the entire team proved something last year whether you chose to see it or not, that they can win in the West. They are young, but this isn't a thread about what the Blazers have done its a thread about what their capable of doing, which there is no denying they are capable of great things.

Basically it's funny to me how a Rockets fan can talk to another teams fan and say maybe they should prove something considering McGrady has yet to get past the 1st round of the playoffs...

phils07
07-05-2008, 04:35 AM
im always in for a shot at the rockets.

as stated by valade16, money is literally a non-issue as a result of Paul Allen. As long as he sees a return on future investments like big contracts for all these young studs, it wont even be a problem. going on pure potential, at this point disregarding their age and odens injury (if youre on the younger side, microfracture is actually beneficial (false but you know)) because im sick of hearing about them, they probably have the most ive ever seen besides a team that plays just due south of them called the lakers.

to me, they are instantly a fringe to automatic playoff team next year and a championship winning team in the next couple years.

blackjack_119
07-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Uhhh...a team this young won't be successful, at least not a the championship level, and if they all develop, like Blazer fans are hoping, how does Portland plan to re-sign them? Right now they aren't better than the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets, Jazz, Rockets and I don't see them getting better than the younger teams like the Lakers, Jazz, or Hornets even when their players do develop.

Are you saying that those teams are younger than the Blazers or just young teams in general. If you are saying that they are younger than the Blazers... none of those teams are close to the Blazers age. They were the third youngest team in the HISTORY of basketball last season. Their roster changes between last season and this season:

Players In:
Jerryd Bayless (19)
Nicholas Batum (19)
Rudy Fernandez (23)
Ike Diogu (24)

Players Out:
Josh McRoberts (21)
Von Wafer (22)
Jarrett Jack (24)
Darius Miles (26)
James Jones (27)

Because of their acquisitions this off-season, their team next year will be even younger than this last year's team.

I just added up the numbers... this Blazers team is the exact same age as the 1953-54 Baltimore Bullets (the youngest team in the history of the game.) There are two major differences: 1) Bullets oldest player (31) was their second leading scorer (Blazers oldest player is Raef LaFrentz who is normally a DNP); and 2) That team was 15-56... this Blazers team is coming off of a 41-41 season (while retaining all their rotation players - James Jones/Jarrett Jack and adding Oden, Bayless and Fernandez).

LakerzDQ
07-05-2008, 05:28 AM
they can't pay all these players.
they'll have a few successful season, before things start to fall apart.

blackjack_119
07-05-2008, 05:59 AM
they can't pay all these players.
they'll have a few successful season, before things start to fall apart.

They can't? It helps when your owner is richer than the second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth richest owners combined. There are several ways that the Blazers won't pan out... money, is definitely not one of them.

Faneik
07-05-2008, 07:03 AM
It amazes me how many people can be so skeptical to the point of failing to see the past.

I'm not saying the Blazers will be a dynasty, nor am I saying they will win 70 games. Do they have a shot? Maybe. I've been a lifelong Blazer fan and at this point I'm focused on one thing, winning a championship. If this group of Blazers can do that I'll be happy.

But to all you who keep asking whether Allen will Spend the money to keep this talented nucleous please educate yourself before you spout ignorance. The Blazers will only have 38 Million in committed salaries next year, which leaves plenty of money to start locking up our young players. Also notice that Paul Allen is not afraid to spend money in order for his team to win. He has purchased draft picks the last 2 years and back in the early 2000's when the Blazers were good our Payroll was the highest in the league (yes, higher than the Knicks) clocking in at like 128 Million. He won't be afraid to spend money and anyone educated on the situation knows that...

I wasn't being skeptical, I was asking an honest question, I didn't know how deep Paul Allen's pockets really are...

I just imagined it would be tough for the Blazers to extend ALL their young guns' contracts...

Chronz
07-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Very promising future but werent people saying the same about the Bulls before their disastrous season? Everyone was all on their nuts during that winning streak and ever since then Ive maintained that theyre overrated. They played above their heads last year and should come back down to normal. They should win about 42-44 games this year which is still very impressive for a young team. Just not playoff caliber

Jibonnie125
07-05-2008, 10:20 AM
The Blazers are a good team, they proved that last year, but they still have a lot more to prove before we can call them the great team that many people already seem to be pronouncing them as. We first have to see how the team plays with newcomers like Oden, Bayless, and Fernandez,l then we have to see if they can compete in the incredibly tough western conference. If its nearly as tough as it was last year the Blazers are going to need around 50 wins if they even want to get into the playoffs. And at this point i dont think they can do much real damage in the playoffs because they need a veteran presence off the bench or somewhere that can get them through the hard times.

BostonPothead
07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
The Blazer are going to be a great team in 3-5 years...Buttt they could always pull off what dANNYAinge and the Celts did last year and flip that incredible young talent(They have tons, more than the c's did) an get proven nba superstars and be title contenders instantly

OaklandsFinest
07-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I really like what Portland has been doing, BUT, lets see if Greg Oden can stay healthy or if he's Bill Walton 2.0. Brandon Roy is a star, but lets see if Webster, Outlaw, Aldridge, Bayless, Frye, and the rest of the team continue to get better.

Vidball
07-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I think they can be a contender in about 3 years if their team develops well. I don't think its time for them to start counting up how many championship rings they are gonna get though because the answer may be 0...there is a lot of talent (including young talent) in the West.

PRETTY BIRD
07-05-2008, 05:30 PM
lame!

PRETTY BIRD
07-05-2008, 05:33 PM
The Blazer are going to be a great team in 3-5 years...Buttt they could always pull off what dANNYAinge and the Celts did last year and flip that incredible young talent(They have tons, more than the c's did) an get proven nba superstars and be title contenders instantly

their all going to be busts!:smoking:

mark my words:smoking:

Dirty Dirk41
07-05-2008, 05:42 PM
their all going to be busts!:smoking:

mark my words:smoking:

Oden? Aldridge? Bayless? R. Fernandez? Frye? Webster? all busts???

grega1976
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Greg Oden hasn't done anything in the NBA yet, however based on potential there is no denying he is one of the most intriguing prospects and his chances of being a good player far outweigh his chances of being a bad one. Pretty much the entire team proved something last year whether you chose to see it or not, that they can win in the West. They are young, but this isn't a thread about what the Blazers have done its a thread about what their capable of doing, which there is no denying they are capable of great things.

Basically it's funny to me how a Rockets fan can talk to another teams fan and say maybe they should prove something considering McGrady has yet to get past the 1st round of the playoffs...

based on potential Stromile Swift was going to be a great player too.. along with 100's of other players that never panned out.. as far as the rockets they made the playoffs how about the blazers? What was both teams records again? just curious.. are you going to tell me that the Blazers are better than the Rockets now? Like I said before, maybe they should prove something before everyone starts sucking their dicks!! OH and BTW, I don't care how rich Allen is, he's still a buisness man.. I'm sure he's willing to pay more than most, but he's still in it to turn a profit.

PRETTY BIRD
07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Oden? Aldridge? Bayless? R. Fernandez? Frye? Webster? all busts???

yes:cool:

Jeff Boyd
07-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Two things.
One they havent even made the Playoffs yet

Two they cant pay everybody. Roy Max PLayer Oden Max player, every body else see you later

blackjack_119
07-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Two things.
One they havent even made the Playoffs yet

Two they cant pay everybody. Roy Max PLayer Oden Max player, every body else see you later

Hey... another person that doesn't comprehend how much money Paul Allen has in comparison to the other owners in the league.

Fun fact #2: 22 NBA Owners have lower net worths than Paul Allen's annual income.

phils07
07-06-2008, 03:09 AM
OKKK...no one can afford more than one star, thats what ur saying. not everyone always takes the max as well. and blackjack 119 is correct along with everyone else that understand that money is a NONISSUE when dealing with Paul allen.

new york and dallas had over 100 million dollar payrolls recently. god damn, as said before, there are many problems the blazers can encounter...MONEY IS NOT ONE OF THEM.