PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Magic Summer League

ManRam
07-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Orlando will be hosting the Orlando Magic Pro Summer League again, starting July 7th, going on until the 11th. All the games can be watched live on the Orlando Magic website, for free :D (http://www.nba.com/magic/news/summerleague.html). Last year was fun to watch, because J.J. played very well, and Marcin came onto the scene for the first time. Both earned all first team honors. Augustine also earned his spot on the team again with some solid play. This year's team is a bit lackluster. No J.J., and besides Lee and Gortat, there isn't really anyone who you can expect to make the team. Kevin Kruger and Augustine are back, both had good summer leagues last year. Derrick Byars is a recognizable name, a stud in college. Maybe someone not-so surprising earns their way on to the team, like Gortat did last year.

42 Pero Antic F-C 6-11 230 7-29-84 Bulgaria Lukoil Academic
40 James Augustine F 6-10 235 2-27-84 Illinois Orlando Magic
22 Derrick Byars G 6-7 220 4-25-84 Vanderbilt France (Roanne)
43 Russell Carter G 6-4 220 3-30-85 Notre Dame Tulsa (NBDL)
11 B.J. Elder G 6-4 218 9-4-82 Georgia Tech Italy (Angelico)
41 D'or Fischer C 6-10 247 10-12-81 West Virginia Belgium (Bree)
13 Marcin Gortat F-C 6-11 240 2-17-84 Poland Orlando Magic
25 Cliff Hammonds G 6-3 200 12-18-85 Clemson n/a
2 Kevin Kruger G 6-2 185 5-1-83 UNLV Utah (NBDL)
32 Courtney Lee G 6-5 200 10-3-85 West. Kentucky n/a
23 Justin Reed F 6-8 238 1-16-82 Mississippi Bakersfield (NBDL)
3 Brian Roberts G 6-2 175 12-3-85 Dayton n/a
24 Antywane Robinson F 6-8 200 7-12-84 Temple France (Pau-Orthez)
17 Mark Tyndale G 6-5 210 1-4-86 Temple n/a

Some other interesting names on other teams participating:

Indiana: Brandon Rush, Josh McRoberts, Roy Hibbert
Oklahoma City: Russell Westbrook, D.J. White, Jeff Green, DeVon Hardin
Chicago: Derrick Rose, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Aaron Gray, Demetrius Nichols, JamesOn Curry
Miami: Michael Beasley, Mario Chalmers, Daequan Cook, Stephane Lasme, Kasib Powell, Pat Calathes
New Jersey: Brook Lopez, Ryan Anderson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Sean Williams

Our team certainly is the least enticing of the 6 taking place, oh well.

The second game of the summer season will be Rose's Bulls vs. Beasley's Heat. Should be fun...

The schedule can be found here (http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_to_Host_Pro_Summer_Leagu-274224-66.html)

*Superman*
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Why no JJ? He can improve his game their.

ManRam
07-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Game 1 recap:

Summer League Day 1, Game 3

By Jason Wallace | July 7, 2008.

Courtney Lee, the Magic's first round pick (No. 22), scored 13 points in 33 minutes in his inaugural performance in a Magic uniform, but Orlando couldn't overcome Jaycee Carroll's 22 points, seven rebounds and five assists as the New Jersey Nets defeated the Orlando Magic, 86-74, in the nightcap of Day One in the Orlando Pro Summer League.

The story of the game was how New Jersey dominated the paint, holding a 40-18 edge in points in the paint and out-rebounding the Magic by a margin of 39-28. Trailing 44-38 at halftime, the Magic could only pull within four points, trailing 57-53 in the third quarter, before the Nets started to pull away and extended their lead to 68-56 heading into the final stanza.

New Jersey was paced by Utah State product Carroll, but also had some strong contributions from their highly-touted rookie class. Rookies Brook Lopez (Stanford), Chris Douglas-Roberts (Memphis) and Ryan Anderson (California) all made their debut for the Nets, with C.D.R. leading the way with 15 points, followed by Anderson's 14 and Lopez's 10 off the bench.

Orlando also had a strong effort by Derrick Byars, B.J. Elder and Kevin Kruger, as they scored 15, 14 and 12, respectively. Marcin Gortat added six points and grabbed eight rebounds in the loss.

The Magic will try and even their record tomorrow when they face Oklahoma City in the second game of the three-game Day Two, while New Jersey will try and remain undefeated in the 2008 Orlando Pro Summer League when they open the competition against Miami at the RDV Sportsplex.
http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Summer_League_Day_1_Game_3-277031-66.html

I think Byars is the guy to watch. He is a SF, which means we have little to no need for him, but from what I've seen of him in college, he can play. Besides Lee and Gortat, he probably is the closest to the NBA IMO. Gortat really did what I expected: nothing offensively, a fair amount defensively. Kruger, fan favorite from last year, stunk it up.

Lee: 33 min, 5-11, 13 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 1-4 threes, 4 TOs, 1 block, 0 stls
Gortat: 31 min, 2-5, 6 points, 8 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 TOs, 2 blocks, 1 stl
Byars: 29 min, 6-13, 15 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 3-7 threes, 3 TOs, 0 blocks, 1 stl
Kruger: 26 min, 2-8, 12 points, 1 rebound, 4 assists, 1-6 threes, 1 TO, 0 blocks, 1 stl
B.J. Elder: 21 min, 4-13, 14 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 1-3 threes, 1 TO, 0 blocks, 1 stl
Augustine: 19 min, 0-3, 2 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 TO, 0 blocks, 1 stl

Full stats here (http://www.nba.com/media/magic/Game_3_Box_Score.pdf).

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I saw some of it. Dantae and Galante make a hell of a duo. lol

lavell12
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
how was lee? i heard he wasn't impressive.

ManRam
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
I saw some of it. Dantae and Galante make a hell of a duo. lol

LOL. True that. I didn't watch today's game, but I watched all of the games last year, and they are really entertaining. They should replace the ESPN/ABC duo of Van Gundy and Jackson.

And Lavell, I didn't watch it, but I from talking to people, Lee seemed to kind of disappear at times, and never really got in the flow of things. Be it nerves, lack of chemistry, or whatever, he evidently played a really quiet game, and wasn't too noticeable. He was 5 for 11, but I guess he really didn't stand out at all. Hopefully he has a better second game and stands out more.

I really think J.J. should be here too. I don't know if it was the team, or J.J. that decided not to play, but he needs to do everything he can to prove his worth, and this would have been a great start.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 01:05 AM
how was lee? i heard he wasn't impressive.

Personally i think that he was overexcited and wasn't having a good day at all. He hit his first jumper and hit another and had a three, buts thats when things started getting a little rough. Got called for a travel, threw the ball away and shot horrible from the field. But thats only one game and hopefully he plays better the next game.

*Superman*
07-08-2008, 01:07 AM
LOL. True that. I didn't watch today's game, but I watched all of the games last year, and they are really entertaining. They should replace the ESPN/ABC duo of Van Gundy and Jackson.

And Lavell, I didn't watch it, but I from talking to people, Lee seemed to kind of disappear at times, and never really got in the flow of things. Be it nerves, lack of chemistry, or whatever, he evidently played a really quiet game, and wasn't too noticeable. He was 5 for 11, but I guess he really didn't stand out at all. Hopefully he has a better second game and stands out more.

I really think J.J. should be here too. I don't know if it was the team, or J.J. that decided not to play, but he needs to do everything he can to prove his worth, and this would have been a great start.

For real, I could use a couple of laughs.

ManRam
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Game 2 Box Score (http://www.nba.com/media/magic/Game_5_Box_Score.pdf)

Got to watch some of this one. Lee went off in the 4th quarter, when Oklahoma City benched their regulars. He finished with 27 points on 8-14 shooting. Not bad. He didn't rebound or pass well at all though. OKC might have the best pre-season team in the Orlando Summer League. Green, Durant and Westbrook scored 69 points combined, only 8 less than the entire Magic team. Gortat sucked again, and no one else but Lee showed up. Augustine and Gortat both had 10 points, but neither pulled down many rebounds at all. Bad performance overall by everyone but Lee. Kruger had 8 assists and only one turnover, and with the news that we are close to signing Pietrus, for all we know, Kruger could be our back up PG coming into the season (yuck).

Ewing needs to play Lee, Gortat and Augie much more though. They are the only three guys who really have a shot at making the team.

ManRam
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
OrlandoSentinel.com
Orlando Magic coaches pleased with progression of Courtney Lee, Marcin Gortat

Kyle Hightower
Sentinel Staff Writer
8:11 PM EDT, July 9, 2008

While it might not show up in their 0-3 record this week, Orlando's coaching staff says they believe there has been a lot of progress made this week with each outing by the Magic's youthful summer-league squad.

The Magic lost their third consecutive game this week, an 86-74 setback to the Chicago Bulls, but center/power forward Marcin Gortat and rookie Courtney Lee both played well.

Gortat was 7-of-11 from the field, finishing with 14 points and 10 rebounds, while Lee posted 13 points, a day after his 27-point effort against Oklahoma City in which he held his own opposite reigning Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant.

Magic assistant Patrick Ewing, who is the team's summer-league head coach this week, said he gave Lee a special mandate before he took the court.

"I talked to him before the game about being more aggressive," Ewing said. "We need him to be more aggressive. For him to show that he belongs here. This team right now is set up for him and Marcin to shine."

Lee said he was feeling some of those expectations.

"You're obviously gonna feel a little bit of pressure about it because you come in and lose the first three games," he said. "Marcin, he was on the team last year, and I'm gonna be on it this year. It takes a toll on you because you always want to lead your team to victory."

Ewing enjoying stint as head coach

Ewing may be a few more years away from landing his first NBA head-coaching gig, but for the past two weeks, he has gotten more than used to filling that role during summer-league workouts.

Ewing was in that chair for the Magic's third game Wednesday and even logged a rarity for a summer-league head coach: a technical foul.

Ewing was whistled for the infraction after jawing with the referees about a charging call that went against the Magic. He thought it should have been a blocking violation, and he didn't hide his disdain.

"I thought the call was terrible, so I got a little overzealous," Ewing said afterward, laughing.

Although he said he's seen a lot of improvement, he still is in need of something to make what is technically his first top coaching job complete.

"I need a win. I need a win bad," Ewing said. ". . . All I see right now is that we're getting our butts kicked. That's the rough part. Tonight (Wednesday) we lost, but I felt a lot better because we competed a lot more. But the first two games, I went home, I couldn't sleep. I thought I was gonna come in with bags under my eyes the way Jeff Van Gundy used to do.

"I'm enjoying it, though. It's a great learning experience for me, and I'm gonna keep on learning and trying to get better."

Kyle Hightower can be reached at khightower@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright 2008, Orlando Sentinel

Lee, Gortat and Augie played real well today too.

Boxscore: http://www.nba.com/media/magic/Game11_Box_Score.pdf