PDA

View Full Version : Posey?

Rhyming Rebel
07-03-2008, 07:26 PM
James Posey has been to Houston before, and one of the predominant rumors of the day has him pondering the chance to play there again. The Celtics would be happy to re-sign Posey, who was a crucial part of their championship equation, but they don't want to ink him to a long-term deal. Several other teams, including the Rockets, would like to lure him away from Boston and will give him the long-term deal he wants.

The Rockets were hoping to be players in the Corey Maggette market, but seem to have been beaten out by the San Antonio Spurs, or perhaps the Orlando Magic. Posey is no Maggette, but he's an outstanding defender and a capable scorer who could be a nice complement to Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady. More than anything, Posey is all about the intangibles. He gets the key loose ball or makes the big steal saving a game for his team.

Houston is also in negotiations with Dikembe Mutombo, who is likely to return to the team for one more season, Spurs free agent guard Brent Barry, and forward Carl Landry.

Would this signing mean the end of Shane Battier?

OUfan4life15
07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Is it even possible to sign Posey and Landry? Posey wants the full MLE right? So what does that leave for Landry or anyone else?

Rhyming Rebel
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Is it even possible to sign Posey and Landry? Posey wants the full MLE right? So what does that leave for Landry or anyone else?

Not sure that is from Hoopsworld

Jay22Redd
07-03-2008, 07:53 PM
yea i read it a couple hours ago and i think this would be a good pickup. we could possibly get him and artest

mightybosstone
07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Even if they got Posey, he'd just be a 6th man type player off the bench. He's not a starter and Battier wouldn't be going anywhere. I actually really like the idea of just signing Posey and Bary to add veteran players to the bench. I think that would be a phenomenal alternative if they don't get Artest (chances are they won't).

Russjr2
07-03-2008, 11:13 PM
That Morey sure has something up his sleeve... If he signs posey to a multi-year deal it would have to be for at least half of the MLE I would think. A bench with Barry and Posey would be very good. More than we have had in a very long time I know that much. I think Posey can score more than he had to for the celts. This is interesting, maybe he is putting pressure on Landry to make a decision. Posey or Landry? I take Posey since we got Dorsey now.

Work it Morey work it.... and I know you not finish yet.

{}
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
That Morey sure has something up his sleeve... If he signs posey to a multi-year deal it would have to be for at least half of the MLE I would think. A bench with Barry and Posey would be very good. More than we have had in a very long time I know that much. I think Posey can score more than he had to for the celts. This is interesting, maybe he is putting pressure on Landry to make a decision. Posey or Landry? I take Posey since we got Dorsey now.

Work it Morey work it.... and I know you not finish yet.

Posey will get the full MLE somewhere. The two gold rings on his fingers seem to have over inflated his value around the league. I thought the Rockets should have given Posey a deal back when he was an unknown just traded from Denver. He was the only guy who consistently passed to Yao during his rookie season. But Posey was gone by seasons end without much notice and care from Rocket fans.

It's funny how now that he has two rings it seems Rocket fans love the guy. :rolleyes: IMO, Posey isn't the answer unless the Rockets intend on trading Battier. Both are basically the same player that provide solid defense and spot up for 3's. Battier probably has a slight edge in shooting.

The Rockets need a wing player that can get to the rim and score more they need two Battier's on the court.

astrosmaniac
07-04-2008, 02:38 PM

landry is a RFA. we already sent him a qualifying offer and if a team wants to sign hgim for more, we can match that offer without using the MLE

OUfan4life15
07-04-2008, 02:44 PM
If a team offers Landry more money, the Rockets will have to use the MLE to match it though. Landry is most likely going to get part of the MLE anyway you look at it.

pippsux
07-04-2008, 03:56 PM
If we can get Possey and Barry, then that would make up for not getting Artest or Maggette. Maybe offer a trade to get Mike Miller. Where is now, T wolves?

mightybosstone
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
One thing that I've seen on a lot of websites that discourages the Rockets from getting Posey is that he's a similar player to Battier. Yes, thats true, but its not like he'd be a starter here. He'd come off the bench for some valuable minutes when Battier wasn't there and would provide veteran leadership and playoff experience to a team that lacks it. Also, I think he really steps his game up in the playoffs and I felt like Battier's performances in the last few seasons' series have been lackluster. AND, should the Rockets ever decide to move Battier (perhaps a sign and trade for Artest/Maggette), we would still have that "glue guy" on the team who's a shut down defender.