PDA

View Full Version : Former NBA head coaches to assist first-timer Del Negro

phlp_bj
07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
CHICAGO -- Former NBA coaches Del Harris and Bernie Bickerstaff are returning to the sidelines, this time as assistants under new Chicago Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro.

Harris and Bickerstaff will be joined by Bob Ociepka, an assistant the past two seasons with Minnesota, and holdover Pete Myers, the Bulls said Thursday.

"When I first accepted this position, I made it a top priority to surround myself with an experienced coaching staff," Del Negro said in a statement. "Now, with the hiring of Del Harris, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Ociepka and current assistant coach Pete Myers, you would be hard pressed to find a staff with the combined number of years experience that we have assembled."

Harris was a consultant with the Dallas Mavericks last season after spending seven years as an assistant under Don Nelson and Avery Johnson. He is 556-457 in 13-plus seasons as a head coach with Houston, Milwaukee and the Los Angeles Lakers, leading the Rockets to the NBA Finals in 1981.

Bickerstaff served as head coach and general manager of the Charlotte Bobcats their first three years before becoming executive vice president of basketball operations last season. He has a 415-517 record in 13-plus seasons as a head coach with Seattle, Denver, Washington and Charlotte.

Myers is returning for his eighth season as a Bulls assistant and ninth in the organization. Ociepka, a Chicago native, has spent 19 seasons as an NBA assistant with stops at Indiana, the Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Minnesota.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3472662

_Sn1P3r_
07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow what a coaching staff. Former assistant of Mavs and the first coach of Bobcats.

Ragun
07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Thats a solid staff.

Afridi786
07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
They'll be coaching the team, not Del Negro, that's how it'll work.

beau_boy04
07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Thats a combine of more of 50+ years of coaching experience. The Bulls are in good hands.

BADizzleBoY
07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Thats cool, you dont see much of this in sports anymore.

MGB
07-03-2008, 09:57 PM
It's like hungry wolves following around a young lamb waiting for him to trip and break his leg. I honestly think these guys are coming here because they know they may get a good HC position w/in a couple years.

Apophis
07-03-2008, 10:40 PM
It's like hungry wolves following around a young lamb waiting for him to trip and break his leg. I honestly think these guys are coming here because they know they may get a good HC position w/in a couple years.

I think you are 100% correct.. I dont think they are there to help him out per say , but to show what they can do..

MGB
07-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I should say that I have no problem with it, I don't care what their motive may be, they're goal will still be winning, and I'm sure they'll do everything they can to help VDN, but they know good and well that if the team fails, VDN will likely be the goat. It's a perfect position for them, if the team does great, they look good and will likely get another shot, but if the team fails, they're hoping they'll be the replacement. It's better for them than taking a trip around the same old assistant coaching carousel.